New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

With a incredulous expression, Leonidas moves to the West exit door but does not open it. He examines it.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

The door is shut. There are no LE-kitschy phrases on it, though most of those plaques are on the outside of a door leading inwards.

Okay, to speed things along. It takes some work, but the party (those that bother to help) will wrench open the other four coffins. It takes about five minutes of work, which is long enough for that special feeling of "something" to go away (moment of greatness) and for Ved's bow to not have that strange heaviness (gravity bow).

Now what? In this room, you have broken open the coffins to reveal nothing special inside ... not even corpses.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden narrows her eyes at the mystery. Had they over-thought things? It very well seemed like they had.

"Let us leave then while the moment is upon us..." she stated to the others.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #304

The party gets in formation and then leaves out the western door. The passageway is 20' long, and ends at another door. But this time, the door - though wooden like the others - is refinforced with iron bands. It has a plaque (of course) that bears an inscription: "Serve thy master well and be rewarded."

Scathe and Imogen don't detect any traps.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I believe it well worth the effort to ensure that we are not ambushed from behind while engaging another hostile entity. That said, yes let us be on our way. "

While the others dealt with the remaining coffins Ved recovered his lit arrow from the previous room and chose a small stone to Illuminate. Ved Wedges the illumnated stone into the bands to ensure that the door once opened would Hold the stone in such a way as to Illuminate the interior of the room. Standing back on the far side of the room, ved says to Imogen.
    "It would appear that this chamber holds the spoils for our effort, but also a, possibly, final challenge. Give me a seconds notice before you open the lock that I may recharge my bow.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Prepare to cast "Gravity Bow" again Just prior to the opening of the door.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

6. - Top - End - #306

With Ved's spell cast, Endrak opens the door.

Or rather, she tries to ... it seems the door is locked.

Imogen, what do you do? Do you try to do it alone, or with Scathe's help? This seems to be a good quality lock.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Halfling in the Playground

"Sorry," Imogen whispers, "I'd hoped that would be a bit more dramatic. Give me a moment." She kneels down and removes her tools, then inspects the lock closely. "This is the most complex lock I've worked with. Sometimes a lower noble who thinks they're smart will put false pins on their jewelry boxes, but... doesn't matter. Let's see here..."

Imogen inserts her picks into the lock and gets to work, slowly and methodically. "Let's hope I don't blow up."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Imogen will take 20 on her Disable Device skill check to open the lock. If she fails, she'll ask Scathe for help, but at the moment she's not looking for traps and is depending on her reflexes to protect her if she triggers one. If the lock disengages, she'll stow her tools, draw her daggers, and ask Scathe to open the door/search for traps.

8. - Top - End - #308

It takes Imogen fully two minutes to open the lock .... the toughest one she's ever faced!

She readies herself for battle, but Scathe shows her his sword and shield. "Sorry, women's lib and all that. The lady should open the door for the man," he says with a wry smile.

Imogen, do you put a dagger away to open the door (with or without some RP shade)?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

Imogen chuckles. "Ah, of course." She puts her dagger in her belt and prepares to open the door. "You must be devastated that it's the other way around this time." Before Scathe can respond, she opens the door.

10. - Top - End - #310

The door is opened to a very large cell. A man in blue and gold livery and full armor shouts, "Asmodeans, is it?! Well, I shall give my very last breath to expunge whom I can, for Mitra will welcome me to Her should I fall."

Round One ...

R1T23:
    Leonidas, the man is a significant distance away, against the far western wall. You have your falcata in hand and your buckler readied on the other arm. What do you do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas dashes through his fellow villains to enter the room before moving 10 ft. North (or as able) to allow room for all to enter. He makes a threatening series of hard slashes with his blade before grinning evilly at the knight.
    “Goin’ to help ya’ meet your sun God right now, I recon!”
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

Ma: enter the room and move North to not block the others. If more room to the South, he goes that way.
    SA: attempt to demoralize (intimidate) the opponent. I realize that this has a very small chance of success but it is Leonidas’a SOP against humanoid opponents. Especially one that is outnumbered.
    prepare a panache point to parry/riposte if attacked.

12. - Top - End - #312

R1T23: Leonidas dashes through his fellow villains to enter the room before moving 10 ft. North (or as able) to allow room for all to enter. He makes a threatening series of hard slashes with his blade before grinning evilly at the knight. “Goin’ to help ya’ meet your sun God right now, I reckon!”

R1T22: Imogen, what do you do?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313

Imogen takes up a position to the left of the door, opposite Leonidas, and draws both her daggers. Kyr sails into the air above the door itself. She appears confused by the presence of a normal man in what has thus far been a trial of riddles and strange gimmicks. "Who in the Hells are you?"

14. - Top - End - #314

R1T22: Imogen takes up a position to the left of the door, opposite Leonidas, and draws both her daggers.
    Spoiler: Imogen >>> Kyr
    Show
    "Get above the door!"

She appears confused by the presence of a normal man in what has thus far been a trial of riddles and strange gimmicks. "Who in the Hells are you?"

Kyr flies in, but can't move simply over the lintel quite so easily so has to fly into the room and create a circuit around to get above the lintel as directed.

R1T12: Scathe says, "I don't know who he is, but I know what. That's a Knight of Alerion! And with my last breath, I shall smite thee with Asmodeus' might!"

Scathe charges the knight, his sword and shield having already been readied. Scathe's sword rings loud and true against the man's armor, but it does not penetrate.

R1T11: Kel rushes in, assuming Scathe will hold the big guy. She tosses out a shuriken, more for annoyance than anything, and as expected it clanks off of his armor.

R1T8: Ved, it's you and your gravity bow. You think you hear a familiar voice, and it very nearly takes your breath away if it belongs to the one you think it does (but you can't quite see him well from your position). What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-05-13 at 10:51 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315

Ved, shaken slightly by the voice, enters the room and slides South along the wall to ret a clear line of sight to the man. As soon as he is reasonably clear Ved looses an arrow.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage:[roll]2d6+2[roll]
    Edit oops... rolled on discord ooc for 12...
    Last edited by Ahus; 2021-05-13 at 11:30 PM.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden spots the armoured figure and feels a rush of excitement run through her body.

An actual knight! One of her ilk. She wouldn't be surprised if she even knew him by name.

Drawing her weapon, Saiden advances into the room and moves to support Scathe by moving into a flanking position against the knight.

"A knight of Mitra falls today!" she announced, her voice firm and baritone. "You have earned yourself a warriors death at least."

ooc:

Spoiler
    Show
    Stance: Scarlet Einhander Stance (+2 AC and +1D6 damage)
    AC: 19

Move action: Moving enough squares to put her into striking distance of the knight. If possible, she will move to position that allows her to threaten the knights flank.
    Swift Action: Encouraging Roar - whole party gets +1 to Attack and +1 damage. (see Discord OOC*, if I've missed something then ignore this swift action)
    Standard Action: Standard Attack against the knight - To Hit: (1d20+8)[26], Damage: (1D8+3)[9] + (1D6)[4] = 13 damage.

Last edited by BananaPhone; 2021-05-16 at 11:06 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

17. - Top - End - #317

R1T2: Saiden spots the armored figure and feels a rush of excitement run through her body. An actual knight! One of her ilk. She wouldn't be surprised if she even knew him by name. Drawing her weapon, Saiden advances into the room and moves to support Scathe by moving into a supporting position against the knight.

"A knight of Mitra falls today!" she announces, her voice firm and baritone. "You have earned yourself a warriors death at least."
    Spoiler: Saiden
    Show
    You spent a SwA to get into stance. You had to double-move to get into position. Scathe's position never allowed a flank.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ....

R2T23:
    Leonidas, what do you do?

Imogen/ Kyr on deck/ in the hole ...
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Ya bloody idiots! Don’t give ‘im the protection of havin’ ’is backside covered! Draw ‘im to us so we can attack all at once from all sides.
    Show

ready an action to drop his sword and cast a spell if the knight is not engaged. (Assuming Leonidas didn’t spend too much time talking.)
    FA: drop sword
    RTA: snowball
    (1d20+5)[12]
    (4d6)[16]
    DC 14 Fort save

19. - Top - End - #319

R2T23: “Ya bloody idiots! Don’t give ‘im the protection of havin’ ’is backside covered! Draw ‘im to us so we can attack all at once from all sides."

R2T22: Imogen, what do you do?

Kyr on deck, Scathe in the hole ...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

[COLOR="#006400"]"What he said,"[/COLOR] Imogen calls out as she circles around the fight to get a better angle. She instructs Kyr to circle around the other way. Her knives are out, one poised to throw.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Imogen moves to the space NW of and adjacent to Kel, preparing to throw her dagger as soon as Scathe and Saiden move out of melee range.

21. - Top - End - #321

R2T22-21.9: "What he said!" Imogen calls out as she circles around the fight to get a better angle. She instructs Kyr to circle around the other way. Her knives are out, one poised to throw. Meanwhile, Kyr circles around and snaps at Sir Balin.
    Spoiler: Kyr >>> Imogen
    Show
    "Wait, crap. Sorry! I didn't know you wanted me to circle and not engage. At least I'm not blocking LOS for a dagger toss!"

R2T12: Scathe is going all in with an attack, but the more senior knight blocks the clumsy spell. Scathe then backs up.

R2T11: Kel tosses two shuriken at Sir Balin - one missing and one bouncing off of his armor.

R2T8: Ved, what do you do?

Balin on deck, Saiden in the hole ...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Ved maneuvers along the wall trying to get a clear shot at the knight, eventually firing.
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (2d6)[9]

23. - Top - End - #323

R2T8: Ved maneuvers along the wall trying to get a clear shot at the knight, eventually firing, but the arrow glances off of his armor.

R2T7: Before Saiden has a chance to open up for the shooters, Balin pursues Scathe, keeping in melee. He throws his weight into his attack, seemingly making himself more vulnerable in doing so. His sword cuts across Scathe's chest for 17, but the attack then continues to Saiden, hitting her right hand for 13.

R2T2: Saiden, what do you do?

Leonidas on deck, Imogen in the hole ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas picks up his Falcata and moves to flank the knight from the North.
    Show

SA: retrieves Falcata.
    MA: move to the SW to flank the night from the North.
    Ready opportune parry and riposte if attacked.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2021-05-22 at 05:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden hisses under her breath as the knights return strikes hits her. As part of the dance, her own weapon comes about to hit back.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stance: Scarlet Einhander Stance (+2 AC and +1D6 damage)
    AC: 19

Move action: None
    Swift Action:
    Standard Action: Iron Wake, (1D20+8)[26], Damage: (1D8+3)[10] + (1D6)[1] + (2D6)[7]

Reaction: Flowing Creek, Flowing Creek - (1d20+11)[20]

26. - Top - End - #326

R2T2: Saiden hisses under her breath as the knight's return strikes hits her. As part of the dance, her own weapon comes around to return the favor, cutting into Sir Balin's left shoulder for 18.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T23:
    Leonidas picks up his Falcata and moves to flank the knight from the North. He attacks with a quick spin cut but it is easily deflected by the expert knight's shield.

R3T22: Imogen, your readied action never went off, and you even surprised Kyr some because he didn't realize not to engage, anyway (at least, that's my impression if you wanted Balin clear of melee). What do you do? You have a dagger in hand.

Kyr on deck, Scathe in the hole ...
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327

R3T22: Imogen sees that the timing of the battle is impossible to get things to line up with so skilled a combatant as this knight. She goes into a darker type of stance than most have seen her yet go into. She dares herself into action, calling on Kyr to fly down slightly between Scathe and Saiden. She then steps down as Kyr gets into position. She strikes at the knight, hoping to curse him, but fails. Kyr likewise misses, but a gloom surrounds him that might make it easier for everyone else to strike the armored monster of virtue.

R3T12: Scathe stands far more defensively now, but his sword is deflected by armor.

R3T11: Kel strikes at the knight with her feet, giving more push on the second, but hits armor on the first and complete misses on the second. She even gets a third kick out, but clips the shield.

R3T8: Ved, what do you do?

Balin on deck, Saiden in the hole ...
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328

Ved maneuvers looking for an open shot and fires again.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (2d6)[9]

29. - Top - End - #329

R3T8: Ved maneuvers, looking for an open shot (which he can't get), and fires again, his arrow bouncing off the steel armor.

R3T7: Sir Balin does as he did before, putting all of his power into a large, arcing swing. This time, he targets the small bird that emanates creepiness. He strikes Kyr for 18, dropping the raven ... and the Gloom effect. Scathe is able to deflect the continuance of Sir Balin's cleave, however.

R3T2: Saiden, what do you do?

Leonidas on deck, Imogen in the hole ...
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas slashes at the armored knight with the Falcata, keeping up a stream of taunting comments with the intent of demoralizing his opponent every time he strikes him.
    “Ya like that?”
    “That must have stung!”
    ”Oooh wicked strike!”
    “Give up now! Ya got no chance!”
    etc.
    Show

SA: attack with Falcata. Did not add flank bonus
    to hit - (1d20+6)[22]
    to dam - (1d8+5)[8]
    SwA: Menacing swordplay- hit opponent then intimidate.
    (1d20+11)[17]
    prepare to opportune parry and riposte if attacked
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2021-05-31 at 07:22 AM.