1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

Leonidas heads North to the next room.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Kel and Scathe go with Leonidas, leaving Saiden, Imogen/ Kyr, and Ved in this room with the smushed mushroom.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ved follows along, asking "There was a staircase around here somewhere, right? I don't really want to have to go back to that Vampiric Mist."
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

4. - Top - End - #364

And lacking anything else to do, Saiden and Imogen likewise follow. Everyone catches up, and now they are in a room with stairs leading up.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden stands at the base of the stairs with her gaze cast up yonder and the palm of her right hand resting on the pommel of her sword.

"I wouldn't put it past the architect of this place to put one final insult to those who though they had succeeded..."
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Aye. Th’ tricksy bastards probably trapped them damn stairs. Better to retrace our steps.”

Leonidas heads through the North door.

7. - Top - End - #367

What does everyone else do?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #368

Everybody, not knowing what else to do, follow the pirate through the northern door into the Chamber of Might where you overcame the metal cobras, with a single door leading to the west.

What now?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The dread pirate Leonidas heads West through the doorway.

10. - Top - End - #370

Kel asks Leonidas. "So, why did we ignore that perfectly good set of stairs two rooms ago?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“I be a suspicious man, by nature. In this place, it be doubly true!”

12. - Top - End - #372

"I agree with Leonidas, when we initially cane through that room there was no credible threat. Just stairs and a cryptic message about deception. Given the "each more deadly than the last," warning I have my doubts that the stairs would prove
    beneficial.
    Just remember the Vampiric Mist that we did not fully kill.
    Ved says following Leonidas' lead.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2021-06-26 at 08:06 PM.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

13. - Top - End - #373

Okay, Leonidas, you are pretty sure that on the other side of this door is the room that had the vampiric mist. What do you do/ suggest?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden still had the palm of her right hand resting upon the pommel of her sheathed longsword.

"I concur with the others," her smooth voice spoke to Kel.

"The other path seemed, how does one say? Too good to be true. In a place like this? I do not trust it."

At mention of that wretched thing, Saiden narrowed her eyes and nodded her head. Withdrawing her blade, she readied herself near the portal of the door for the time it would be open.

"It stands between us and departing this place through the path on which we entered..."
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

15. - Top - End - #375

So, what's the plan? Open door, run to other door quickly, open door, and scram?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376

"Well, it seemed to really not like the light last time around. Can a few of us create some light sources and toss them into the room while others blast it from range and have another ready to slam the door after the volley? We can reset and try again, a few times. Ved says eyeing the door.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas puts his sword away and prepares to enter the room, Ioun stones glowing around his head.
    “Aye! W’ open the door and stick together. If’n the misty beastie makes a go for us, we blast it! Keep moving and make for the other door. Don’t stay to play with it.”
    Leonidas opens the door and enters the room.

18. - Top - End - #378

The party opens the door, bolts through, opens the next door, and the last one through closes it for good measure!

They continue to backtrack through the next set of rooms and make their way to the hidden staircase in the kitchen. Before long, they find themselves in front of Cardinal Thorn.

Adrastus sits in his study seeming almost as he has moved not an inch from where he gave you your orders yesterday. “You’ve returned.”

What does the party do?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

"Indeed Shepherd we have." Ved says kneeling before the Cardinal.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas presents the fallen knight’s holy symbol to cardinal Thorn.
    “Your prize, m’ Lord! We passed ya’ damn tests. Ah …sorry.”

21. - Top - End - #381

The high priest holds the trinket and pauses as if in deep contemplation. He watches the holy symbol glitter in the light. “A pretty enough thing, eh?” he muses. “This is a holy symbol of Mitra in particular the sort favored by the Knights of the Alerion. Perhaps you already knew that.

“Remember this symbol. This is the mark of those who destroyed our faith and sought to banish all trace of the worship of our Father from these shores. These, my friends, are your enemies.”

He tosses the holy symbol to Leonidas. “Keep it. It may aid you in disguising yourself.”

He smiles. “You have done well. Escaping from Branderscar, slaughtering Sir Balin … yes, you are worthy, Leonidas. You all are. Now, let us complete your training…”
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden had stood there, eyes on the high priest as he lauded them for their efforts in his expectedly sombre way. It told her that even just a little bit of praise from this fellow was signs of a job well done.

"Yes, let's..."

23. - Top - End - #383

"Master, some of us, myself included, received wounds that exceeded the ability granted me by our lord to treat. I suspect that such restorative magics are within your ability. I, and I expect eventually my associates, would greatly appreciate your tutelage in these arts. " Ved says to the Cardinal rising from his knee.

24. - Top - End - #384

The Cardinal will not heal all of you fully at once, but will make sure you are each healed quickly over the next month.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We are on a small hiatus. More info coming in Discord.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385

ADRASTUS' TRAINING

After the Nine Lessons, the Cardinal has learned enough to truly train the Knot. He spends three months working with them, honing them into his perfect weapons.

(Cue training montage and 80s montage music ....)

He keeps the characters carefully sequestered. Their physical needs are taken care of. Tiadora aids him in the training and is revealed again and again as cruel sadist who revels in their failure and suffering. The slaves are present during the entire ordeal performing more menial tasks.

Cardinal Thorn may be a paranoid monster obsessed with revenge but he is also a genius and a teacher par excellence. His lessons are focused and never wasteful. He drills them not only individually but also as a team. He is forging them into a knot.

It is during this time that while everyone gains the bonus trait (as noted in Discord) per very focused individual training. In addition, Leonidas, Kel, and Ved all make breakthroughs of their owns in magic, feats of arms, scholarship, athletics, and alchemy. The others, while not necessarily making breakthroughs in their studies, receive all the knowledge they need to end up getting their on their own in time.

Thorn is not always with them and it soon becomes apparent that they are not the only ones being trained. The former “White Ravens” under Elise Zadaria are also receiving the Cardinal’s attentions.

After the training is finished, Adrastus pronounces them ready and holds a great banquet in their honor. He awards them the title of the "Nessian Knot" in an infernal ritual involving blood and fire. During the ritual he summons forth a barbed devil and offers to it one of the slaves of the PC’s choosing. The devil gleeful rips the slave apart and feasts on the blood. Adrastus then draws forth some of the devil’s blood with a silver athame. Adrastus traces the unholy symbol of Asmodeus on the forehead of each PC in the mingled blood of devil and sacrifice.

"Behold!" he proclaims, “The Nessian Knot is forged.”

He looks around at the assembled and then motions to the great windows behind him in the banquet hall. On the river dock behind the manor under cover of darkness, a square-sailed longship sails into the slip. It sits heavily in the water, laden with a substantial cargo.

“Just in time,” Cardinal Thorn remarks. “My ship has arrived.”
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-07-08 at 10:06 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas takes a knee before Thorn.
    “What is our mission, my master?”

27. - Top - End - #387

Cardinal Thorn smiles to Leonidas, "To every season."

He looks to a slave and says, "Summon Elise Zadaria to my private chambers for consultation.

"The rest of you," he turns back to the party, "I will speak to very shortly thereafter."

The party is left to enjoy the splendid banquet as the witch is so summoned.

After only ten minutes, Elise Zadaria leaves, looking quite pleased with herself. The Ninth Knot (that's you), lacking a clear leader, is summoned into his private chambers soon after.

“Welcome, my children,” he says in a deep resonant voice that has an almost inhuman quality to it. “Training is at an end. You have proven yourself worthy. Now, it is time for you to use that training and take on your first mission.

“Your mission is war, my children. You will bring war to Talingarde.

“You have two objectives. First, you will see a shipment of munitions delivered to a bugbear chieftain named Sakkarot Fire-Axe. He makes his camp on the northern coast of Lake Tarik beyond the Watch Wall. With this shipment, the Fire-Axe will have resources enough to unite the barbarous humanoid tribes of the north and light the fire of war.

“Sitting on the dock as we speak is the longship Frosthamar captained by Kargeld Odenkirk. Tomorrow when the ship is resupplied it will be your transport. The captain is a ruthless mercenary and not to be trusted. He knows nothing of the specifics of our mission and you should keep it that way. He knows he is smuggling cargo to the north beyond the Watch Wall. That is all he need know.

“Once the cargo is safely delivered, he will take you just south across the lake under cover of darkness and land you near the town of Aldencross. There our contract with Captain Odenkirk will be concluded.

“It is shame how greedy he has proven. I had hoped to let the captain serve me again but it seems he is too much of a liability. Kill him. Kill his crew. Burn his ship and leave no survivors. It is crucial that no one suspects our involvement and that loose ends are taken care of. Be sure to reclaim the coin I gave him. Best not to be wasteful.

“That done, you will begin your second task. We will do more still to aid our ally the Fire-axe. The bugbears are mighty warriors but poor siege engineers. You will infiltrate the tower Balentyne, keystone of the Watch Wall, kill its commander and open the gate for Sakkarot’s horde.

“Once the shaggy monstrosities pierce the Watch Wall, the bugbears will pillage and lay waste to the townships of the north and the local garrisons will have no choice but to meet the Fire-Axe in the open field. Sakkarot is the most brilliant, gifted and murderous bugbear of his generation. I expect these battles will go poorly for the knights and yeoman of fair Talingarde.

“Do all of this and then when your task is done, break this clay seal.”
    He Saiden a carved clay seal adorned with a tangled knot of thorns surrounding the holy symbol of Asmodeus. “I will have more instructions then. Succeed and I will see you rewarded handsomely. Fail or betray me and you will pray for the comfort of Hell before I am done with you.

“The mission you start upon today is a holy mission. The people of Talingarde think they have seen the last of the mighty Asmodeus. Soon enough we will remind them that there is no escaping the grasp of Hell. Let us toast our success.”

He pours one glass of deep red wine for each of the PCs and then finally pours one for himself. He raises the glass and offers a toast.

“To war.”
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thoughts of glorious revenge against the pious do-gooders that branded and imprisoned him dancing in his thoughts, Leonidas smirks and raises his glass.
    “To War!”

29. - Top - End - #389
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Imogen looks around the room, lastly locking eyes with Cardinal Thorn and raises her glass to the toast.

"To War!"

As soon as she finishes echoing the sentiment she downs her entire glass of wine and let's out an exaggerated sigh of satisfaction when it's finished.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh....."

She'll wait until everyone else has said their piece and wiggle her glass like she's looking for more wine.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

After the toast, Leonidas bows to Darth Sid…I mean Cardinal Thorn.
    “Any chance of stocking ourselves with provisions and gear for the Journey, Master?”