New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

"Just what you own. So, if you have anything in your rooms that you need," Cardinal Thorn says, and honestly it is assumed you didn't go to a party with backpack and rope anyway, "go get it and report to the ship. You have to leave right away to clear the inlet so you are not spotted by warships."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden had been enjoying herself, for the most part. The festivities had been fairly top class so far, though they could have done without the ritualistic disembowelment of a slave by some devil. That was a bit much. It had put a bit of a damper on dinner. And was rather wasteful too of a good slave. Still, can't have everything!

Saiden listened to the plan in silence as she contemplated the means by which it would be accomplished, particularly the infiltration.

Infiltration and deception? Open warfare? Saiden liked the sounds of these! The bastard knights of Talingarde that had forsaken her would come to remember this as the day they almost imprisoned Baroness Saiden Radec!

When the Cardinal rose his glass to toast, Saiden complied.

"To War..." her smooth voice spoke before taking a sip.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2021-07-11 at 12:22 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Shepherd, is there reason to not feed the Captain and crew to the horde? Could we not navigate the lake ourselves? Ved asks seeking clarification on the parameters of the plan.

Ved smiles at the thought of the Knights Slain on the field of battle. "TO WAR" The ordinarily soft spoken Ved shouts.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2021-07-11 at 09:12 AM.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas downs the wine and heads to his chambers to collect his gear.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by Ahus View Post
    "Shepherd, is there reason to not feed the Captain and crew to the horde? Could we not navigate the lake ourselves? Ved asks seeking clarification on the parameters of the plan.
    Cardinal Thorn smiles, "Your words betray that you do not know the way, and only one of you has the means to understand a ship like that, which needs more than one salt to sail it. So, there are many reasons to not do as you recommend, but only one that matters .... because like our Dark Father, I reward obedience."

Anyone else stall, or the rest of you grab your things?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Imogen sets down her glass.

"I can see I'm going to enjoy this very much."

She'll hastily grab whatever she has from her quarters. Stopping to take a look in the mirror, she'll use the Iron Circlet to hide the scars that have been branded and carved into her head and forearm and make the circlet appear as a simple comb/pin tying her hair back.

After she's satisfied with her look, she'll make her way back to the group to head out.
    Last edited by H8teradio; 2021-07-12 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Return to group added

7. - Top - End - #397

Ved nods sheepishly and heads off to get his supplies.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Scathaniel raises his glass. "To war..and our glorious leader!" He grins before he takes a sip.

After the toast and the atmosphere has died down, Scathe goes to get necessary supplies.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Assuming Scathe is wearing his belt pouch, hat of disguise circlet, etc. He prepares his traveling gear (the masterwork backpack and all its contents). In addition, he grabs his shield and sheathes his sword and dagger. He would also put on armor if it wasn't on for any reason.
    Last edited by TooterfishPopkn; 2021-07-15 at 10:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas gathers his gear and money before donning the disguise circlet, opting for the disguise of a fat, overdressed merchant. The image is more of a caricature than based on a real person. He stops by the kitchen on the way to the boat to grab a snack and some greens for his familiar.

10. - Top - End - #400

The Frosthamar is a single-masted knarr with a square sail. It is similar to a Viking longship but wider and with a deeper hull better suited to carrying cargo. And the Frosthamar is obviously loaded with cargo. Sitting heavy in the water, she holds twenty four tons of weaponry, arrows and shields emblazoned with a flaming axe.

The captain is a grizzled north-man with a wiry beard, pale blonde hair and countless scars. This is Kargeld Odenkirk and he is, as promised, a ruthless mercenary with little thought of anyone but himself. His crew consists of a half dozen grim sailors who speak little of the common Talirean tongue.

He looks at the assembled persons, and must have mentally determined that the strange, red-haired female (Saiden) must be the leader, and he says, “You will guard our boat all the way north, yes?”
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Having gathered her things into a backpack when the group had dispensed, Saiden stood upon the jetty with the palm of her right hand resting upon the pommel of her sword, and her blood-red cape caught gently in the wind. A good half a foot taller than those around her, she stood out quite easily, and the captain spoke to her she returned his question with a single nod.

"That we will," she answered. Casting her gaze across down onto the deck and then back to the captain, "Permission to come aboard, Captain" she asked firmly, a polite and respectful gesture that extended from the manners of which she had been raised.

He would, assumedly, grant such a request, and so Saiden would move onto the deck.

"Are you familiar with our...customers?" she asked, putting her bag in whatever storage was provided.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2021-07-15 at 08:01 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

12. - Top - End - #402

Ved followed Saiden onto the boat and as she answered the Captain he silently/telepathically added to the Captain "However, if you do your job properly you won't need our protection"

Ved then thrust his pack into the chest of one of the deck hands demanding that he "Stow my gear and let's get moving. "

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Intimidate +8 to both the Captainand the hand.

13. - Top - End - #403

Captain Odenkirk nods and smiles (with perhaps too lascivious a smile at the tall lady). "Doesn't matter. I'm familiar with the job I've been entrusted to do. Anything else is story time I need not care about. But I can tell you," he leans in a bit conspiratorially, "you ain't never smelled so bad a thing as a bugbear before."

Ved comes walking on and says his piece, and the Captain gives a wry smile at the challenge. The deck hand seems more confused than anything and the captain says clearly, "Drop that thing ,sailor. And if the passenger doesn't retrieve it when we push off, toss it over the side. Passengers are responsible for their own gear. I am responsible for the ship and the crew. And don't for an instant mistake that you as a client have any say ... ever ... over me and mine. My orders come from Cardinal Thorn, not you, you blue-matted dust-whisperer."

What does Ved do? Does Saiden or anyone else intervene?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Scathe watches the conflict between Ved and the Captain unfold. He stays back, snickers, and says under his breath, "As if anything would be in better care with some lowly deckhand rather than the knot itself."

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden looked over, her head turned in the direction of the scolding. It wouldn't do to agitate the crew. Not yet anyway, that would come later.

"Easy," her smooth voice came over.

"We have been waited upon hand-and-foot by the servants of the Cardinals manor. You'll have to forgive his assumption that springs from recent habit, nothing more."

16. - Top - End - #406

The deckhand looks to the Captain, and the captain takes his fist from closed to open with fingers spread wide, unceremoniously dropping Ved's gear on the deck. The Captain than sees the rest of the PCs onboard while calling orders to make ready.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Permission to come aboard?”
    Assuming permission is granted, Fat merchant Leonidas climbs on board easily. His assessment of the crew and their capabilities begins immediately.
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show
    How many are there? What weapons do they have handy? Etc. Provide me a layout of the ship. Is Leonidas familiar with this type of vessel? Based on his knowledge, how long is the trip?
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2021-07-16 at 05:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408

The captain waves the fat merchant aboard.

Kel then requests permission and is waved on.

That leaves Imogen and Kyr .... on the pier ..... full of fear .... so, Imogen, be a dear? And draw further near.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409

Ved makes extended eye contact with the Captain.

He then grabs his pack off the deck and makes his way on-board.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas stays out of the crew’s way as they prepare to depart and focuses on estimating the crew’s numbers. He will casually instruct the rest of the knot on where to best keep out of the way. Once underway, he will explore the rest of the ship.

21. - Top - End - #411

ElfRogueGirl

Imogen will stroll onto the ship, make a little bounce move to make sure her footing is sure and give the deck of the ship a once over.

"Captain Odenkirk, how long do we expect this first leg of the journey to take? Do you expect any trouble along the way?"

"Also is there somewhere we can go to stay out of your way? I REALLY don't want to get my boots too wet, just polished em'."

She kicks out one foot so you can see whatever light there is dully reflecting off of her, very clearly not polished, boots.

Afterwords she'll regroup with Leonidas, he seems to know what he's doing on the deck. She'll be scanning the deck looking around to see what she can see.

Spoiler: Shifty Eyes
    Show
    How large is this boat?
    Can Imogen tell how many crew are on board and if they seem well armed? They are smugglers/mercanaries so I expect they would be at least to a moderate degree.
    Does the ship seem sturdy and well kept?
    Any structural weaknesses that she can see without obvious inspection?
    Is there a lifeboats or shore boat that we can see?

22. - Top - End - #412

"Busy now with maneuvering watch. I'll call you together later. Go with Diogo there. He'll show you to your hammocks," says the captain.

And a younger sailor - with specific instructions not to "serve" the passengers, carry their items or the like - herds Leonidas and the rest and says, "Lemme show you where you sleep."

He takes you below decks, with a lantern, and shows you the six hammocks .... two stacks of three ... where you'll be sleeping and where you can put your things.

A knarr is more open to the elements than not, Knot. So, it doesn't take long to do a count of a total complement of 13 .... the captain and 12 sailors. Diogo himself doesn't stay for questions as he has tasking for maneuvering watch himself, leaving the party alone. They see the other hammocks jammed in this forward section as well, which means once the ship is no longer doing maneuvering watch (leaving port for safer waters), there will likely always be someone here sleeping (as Leonidas can inform you).

There is not much to "explore" here, and the cargo areas are full. There is too much movement on deck in the aft of the ship with the captain there directing to explore the after part of the ship right now.

While the party has what might be its last bit of privacy for some time to come (discounting Ved's Bonded Mind ability, which is exhausting because it is not a "group" thing), does the party have any chatter, or on to the next part?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas whispers to the group, “We need a way to even the odds, any thoughts?”

24. - Top - End - #414

"Yeah, do as the Cardinal said, and then do what the Cardinal said," says Kel, almost scolding (which is a very rare thing for her). "I think you're the only trained sailor amongst us, but that doesn't mean you can just insert yourself into their rhythym. So let's get him to our destination .... almost. But let's not do anything hinky before then because you aim to misbehave. We are using them while they do their job. They are not an obstacle until the end, when the job is almost complete."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-07-18 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Gender-Bendy Name Kerfuffle
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

ElfRogueGirl

"While they may not be an obstacle now, they are of interest now. It'd be good to see if they have any chinks in their armor. We have to be careful though, don't want to raise any flags until the very last minute."

Imogen unloads her backpack and makes sure all the straps and ties are secure.

"However all this sailing nonsense is for the birds. I plan to hang out here..."

She throws her bag up onto the top hammock and climbs up after it.

"... until something interesting happens."

Imogen proceeds to lay back with her hands behind her head and starts humming to herself, while tapping her foot.

Spoiler: Bird Business
    Show
    Telepathically to Kyr: "Keep an eye out would ya? Let me know if you see any trouble headed our way."

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fat merchant Leonidas sneers at Kel’s scolding.“We need a real plan, not just see what happens.”

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden made absolutely sure that there were no deck-hands around that could over-hear her, and when she spoke it was with a hushed whisper.

"Spoil the food. Poison the water. If it comes to a fight, we position ourselves where their numbers count for nothing. The Captain? He is too strong-willed to be allowed to live, and the rest will be demoralised and lost with his passing."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas whispers, “Aye. Spoil how? Poison how? If there be liquor onboard and we can pinch it, mayhap we can push the odds in our favor.”

29. - Top - End - #419

"My suggestion, is that we carry on as though nothing is amiss. Take the time to learn what we can of ship handling. Util we are nearing our final destination, when we slaughter those crew whom are off watch, in their sleep. Then try to cull a few crew whom are on watch and use our circlets to replace them. " Ved says to the group.
    "I'll start with that insolent little bastard whom refused my command earlier.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2021-07-17 at 07:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Aye, killing the Captain in his sleep be a better idea if’n it takes that long that he does sleep. It might work if we then can compel the bloody rest of the crew to follow our orders so we can complete the voyage an unload the cargo. To many unknowns for m’ likin’. Best to wait til we arrive and then strike to take the captain out right quick. After that the crew should fall inline easy enough.” whispers Leonidas.
    Fat merchants Leonidas dismisses any further arguments and returns to the deck to watch the crew perform their tasks.