New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns [IC]

Ved notices the text above the archway.

Ahh, hold here a moment. This is a paraphrase of a paraphrase of a translation of an ancient text.
    'Know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
    Know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
    Know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.'

Ved's hand touches the circlet on his head briefly. A moment later standing in his place is an muscular looking elf in blue leather armor with the crest of the Knights of the Alerion emblazon on the front. The tattoo on his left hand still exposed though with the change in his base skin tone the metallic red is more apparent.

Once the change is completed Ved will follow the others into the room staying near Kel.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Nobody has gone into the room yet.

Also, there is a door directly across the chamber on the eastern wall.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

"Then let us get to know this enemy."

Scathe moves ahead, eyes peeled for traps as well as taking in the scene as he descends.

Approaching the door, Scathe opens all his senses to try to glean whatever information he can.
    Last edited by FreeSol; 2020-12-27 at 12:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas is fine with working from the back of the group.
    He strings his bow and knocks an arrow.

5. - Top - End - #35

As soon as Scathe gets w/in 10' of the door, the floor suddenly yawns open underneath him as he gets a bout of brief bout of vertigo. Though Scathe failed to notice the trap, he luckily does manage to barely catch himself on the edge with his free hand (never drew a weapon, luckily) and his shield. Everybody watches him struggle just a little bit before pulling himself back up onto the main floor.

Now what?
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Imogen's upper lip curls into a slight smile at the irony of a trap being literally the first threat the group encounters. "Hold still a moment," she says to the rest of the group, holding up a hand to reinforce her words. "Scathe's taken a bit of a spill." She looks carefully around the room and instructs Kyr to fly forward and do the same. Although it's slightly unlikely that the first chamber has a second trap that close to the entrance, the thought of embarrassing herself like Scathe just did is a little mortifying.

[Perception rolls for Imogen and Kyr to find traps.]

7. - Top - End - #37

Other than the one already tripped, Imogen+Kyr don't find any other traps. The pit trap in the floor is still yawning open, and it seems like there may be something glinting below, but Imogen can't quite make it out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Baroness

When that abyssal mouth gaped open and almost took Scathe into that black maw, Saiden instinctively snapped her hand forward to grab at the mans shoulder and draw him back. Thankfully, he managed on his own, and the Baroness' hand of halting turned into a reassuring pat on Scathe's shoulder.

"We will be laughing about it in a months time," she gave her companion a nod and a wink, knowing how self-conscious such a potentially lethal mistake could be - and she needed everyone to stay frosty.

Moving up to the lip of the pit, Saiden peers down its length and to its bottom, her keen eyes and ability to see in the dark of great help...
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

9. - Top - End - #39

She sees, as does Scathe, that the pit is fully 20' deep and lined with spikes. She also sees what seems to be a plaque or something on the east wall, but in the pit ... 20' below the door that you really can't get to now. But from this angle, neither she nor Scathe can see what's on that plaque.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Not wanting to be the last one left in the hall any more than he wanted to be the first one into the room, Ved will follow the Baroness.

Ved hugs the wall moving North from the entryway. He moves deliberately but cautiously inspecting the floor and wall for secret doors, additional pits, signs of other creatures passing through etc. The whole time muttering to himself in various languages Deception, Deceive
    Spoiler: Dwarven (Icelandic)
    Show
    Blekking Illusion, Deceit

Spoiler: Samsaran (Hindi)
    Show
    Dhokhe cheat, fraud spoof

Spoiler: Celestial (Latin)
    Show
    Decipio Mislead, ensnare

Spoiler: Draconian (Chinese)
    Show
    Qīpiàn fool, trick

Spoiler: Crunchy bits...
    Show

Perception (+10) to search for traps (not that I have trapfinding but it can't hurt right) and secret doors.
    Survival (Track) (+12) to see if I can find any sign of activity not related to us.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2020-12-28 at 09:21 AM.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

11. - Top - End - #41

Basically searching the top 180-degrees of the chamber, Ved doesn't find anything before he gets to the open pit.

Even Kel moves into the room a little bit .... leaving Leonidas way back. "See anything down there?" she asks.

What now?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-12-28 at 09:30 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leonidas will follow the others into the room.

13. - Top - End - #43

Kel moves up to the edge with the others. She says, "I see something down there."

She looks at what is effectively a brick wall. "Difficult climb. Someone have rope that wants to tie me off? I'll go down."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Silently, Saiden withdrew her backpack from her shoulders and stuck her hand inside. After rummaging about for something, she withdrew her fist that was now clenched around a length of hemp rope.

Curling it around her strong hand, she held the other end out for Kel to take, as the Baroness braced herself to help safely lower the smaller woman into the pit.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

15. - Top - End - #45

Kel doesn't even really tie herself off, and makes sure the rest of the rope goes down. She then moves down the length of the rope - all 20' of it - in a single round. It is like watching a monkey climb down a rope! She doesn't even really contact the wall much at that point ... just using the rope to climb down.

For those that can see into the pit (darkvision or light source, as the lantern light is too weak then), she easily steps around the spikes and goes up to the plaque, calling out, "Thou wert deceived. Pain is thy reward."

Shen then zooms up the length of the rope to get back to the top. "So, if we were 'deceived,' I am thinking that's a false door and we have to find some other way out of this room."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

"I don't know that I would say we were deceived. There are two parts to that quote. We know our enemy well enough to expect that they had laid traps. We know ourselves well enough that we allowed Scathe to enter, being one of the more likely to be able to recover from such a trap without injury." Ved says to Kel, whilst pulling his pipe out and packing a small pinch of tobacco into it.

Holding his pipe in one hand Ved makes a series of arcane gestures and rote incantations. His eyes flash purple for a moment then fade to their normal, if disguised, state. With another wave and quick incantation his pipe begins to smoke in his hand.

Spoiler: Crunchy bits
    Show
    Cast detect magic and continue looking around. Use Prestidigitation to light pipe. Hoping that the smoke from the pipe may accentuate any draft coming through any secret doors.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2020-12-29 at 03:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Ha! This will be fun!” snorts Leonidas. He begins his search of the room for other hidden exits.

18. - Top - End - #48

Imogen sends Kyr to search along the ceiling while she begins to move along the wall. After a moment, she rubs her eyes.

"Wait a minute. What if this whole room is the deception? Tia didn't tell us this was the first chamber, we just assumed it was 'cause the lantern was already lit. Why was the lantern already lit?" She walks back through the archway and begins searching the area of the stairs more closely.

"Maybe there's something over here?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    [More Perception checks for Imogen and Kyr, for the stairway and the ceiling of the chamber, respectively.]

19. - Top - End - #49

With a quick pass (not T10 or T20), the group doesn't find any other secret doors, hidden items, or anything in the room or stairs.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Kel, can you climb the walls and reach the door to open it? If we can secure the rope to the other side, I reck’in that we can swing over to the door from the side and climb and be pulled up like a fine catch o’fish!”

21. - Top - End - #51

Kel says, "Yeah, no."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Imogen scratches her head and starts to pace back and forth in front of the archway.

"Okay, let's put it all on the table. We've got some cryptic messages about deception. Maybe the door is the deception, and it's not the way forward. Maybe the simplicity of the room is the deception, trying to get someone to walk out and trigger the pit like Scathe did. I'm going to throw my hat in for option two. If I was designing a series of elaborate magic chambers to challenge my minions, I'd probably start with a "gotcha" moment to take the stupid and unlucky ones out of the running with the least effort.

She walks toward the pit and looks her comrades in the eyes, stretching her shoulders as she moves.

"Either way, I don't really want to stand here trying to figure out something that may not be a riddle in the first place, so unless anybody has something they want to try in the next minute or two, I say we go for the door."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Mayhap the pit trap is part of the deception?”
    The pirate tosses a gold coin into the pit with a visible expression of regret on his face.
    Spoiler
    Show

tosses a coin (to your Witcher) into the pit to try and determine if the spikes and bottom of the pit are real or illusion based on sound and the movement of the coin.

24. - Top - End - #54

"I don't really think it is a riddle so much as a lesson that we should take away from this room."
    Ved tells Imogen quite matter of factly.
    Then pacing Ved begins speaking to no one in particular whilst looking down at his feet.
    "Now this lamp has a magical aura about it, however, only the lamp and a handful of the items that we each possess carry such an aura. I presume that the lamp's aura corresponds to it being a flame giving light without heat.
    The absence of magical auras on the walls, ceiling and floor makes it unlikely that an exit is being concealed by illusionary magic.
    We could try the door but if it is suppose to be about deception why would they put a door where there is a door, unless the deception is a deception and the door is actually a door but we are meant to think its not a door.
    <Ved spins for a bit through several levels of indirection regarding what the Cardinal would think they would think the Cardinal would think about the realness of the door.>

Ved abruptly stops pacing and mumbling at the same time and says in a clear and determined voice."Well there is no further value to be had down that like of logic. The door is either the way out or it is not.

I recommend that everyone ready themselves in the event that opening the door triggers additional traps, and/or allows a creature to enter.

Finishing that Ved begins to make some arcane gestures and intonations.

Spoiler: Crunchy bits
    Show
    Pacing 10' South of center Directly east to west, stopping and turning 10' from each wall.

Cast Mage Hand to try the doorknob.
    Last edited by Ahus; 2020-12-31 at 09:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Ved casts mage hand. He manages to turn the knob, and as soon as the door clicks open, it slowly swings to reveal a brick wall on the other side.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

"Well, that was anti-climactic. Ved says moving next to Leonidas and looking with him into the hole.

Ved's Mage Hand will retrieve Lonidas' gold coin for the bottom of the pit.

27. - Top - End - #57

So, is the group going to stroll around in here randomly, or attempt to work as a group to systematically do a thing?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Saiden attunes herself to the ley ways of the arcane as she gives the room a once over gaze, her eyes moving from one side to the next as if she were a sentry on patrol.

Unless she spots something, she speaks out loud to no one in particular.

"It was mentioned that there were other entrances?"

ooc:
    Activating Detect Magic as Saiden checks out the room.
    Perception: (1D20+6)[23]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“There must be a hidden entrance. Let us start peerin’ at one corner and work our way ‘round the room in pairs (each wit’ a helper) and see what we find. Ifen that fails, we might try examining the plaques.”
    Not being much good at finding things, Leonidas will assist if needed.

30. - Top - End - #60

Leonidas' recommendation seems solid enough, and the party works together. As you do (here and later), you will find that the most aware member of your party is Scathe, followed closely by Ved and Kel.

By taking your time, the party finds a secret door hiding a niche in the north wall. Inside that niche is a small pedestal that holds a jewel that glows with a pale blue light. It is cold to the touch. There is another inscription:

"Though hast seen through deception to discover a useful tool."

Though it seems like it should radiate magic, to Saiden's eyes it does not. Looking at it, it is Imogen who realizes that it is not really a 'jewel' but a cleverly crafted bit of sealed quartz. Then, it is Kel that figures out that the crystal is cold because it holds a substance inside called "liquid ice" ... the cold version of alchemist's fire.

What now? Since she nows what it is, does anyone have a problem with Kel holding onto the liquid ice for now? You only checked the northwest and part of the northern wall.
    Show