New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Thanks to starting my extended vacation the day of release, I've come in off a deep dive of around 100 hours playtime on my main save, running on a pretty decent gaming PC.

Overall I've been trying to put to words what I find right and wrong with the game as a whole.

Let's start with the bugs. I am one of the lucky few that didn't experience anything that caused a game crash, but I have seen a good few T-poses, odd AI behaviors regarding vision and targeting, and vehicles that have minds of their own, it's far from being a polished experience, but that's hardly a hot take by now.

From a PC gaming perspective I found the gameplay loop interesting and fun, but I think that's coloured by the fact that the last AAA titles I purchased before this was Death Stranding and FFVII: Remake. I've not really bought into other franchises like the Assassins Creed series or Borderlands, so Open World and Looter Shooters aren't old hat for me. It's familiar, but not to the point I find it driven into the ground as others might. I enjoyed a the run as a Tech/Hacker making use of the Ping Hack to highlight enemies to eliminate with my Tech Rifle through walls was awesome synergy, bordering on broken, which I recommend to everyone to try at least once. I look forward to trying a Reflexes/Cool assassin type next, getting in close instead of remaining far away.

From the perspective of someone who has played the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop game for the last few years, with friends who played it far far longer, we all share the consensus that it's been pure joy to run around night city and experience the underlying tensions the place holds. Seeing elements like even in the prettiest part of the city there are still random bags of trash thrown around, that stark contrast of wealth and poverty is done very well. The art expression and the story highlight it really well, I hope Mike Pondsmith knows that this part was done right if nothing else.

Speaking of the story, many of the choices have weight, but they are sometimes in the moment only. You might get the occasional Gig that asks you to be stealthy, or avoid causing death, but beyond one specific chain, there's no noteworthy mention. A friend of mine who is also enjoying the game, playing as a Nomad who focused on Body, and Shotgun usage mentioned, "Why is this fixer getting so up in arms over me causing a mess? That's how I roll, shouldn't have hired me otherwise." He's really gotten into the RP elements of the game, but it highlights that lack of continuity of NPC reactions to player actions beyond a few odd times. Other than that, the characters are all super colourful, and are great to interact with, I wish it wasn't always super brief though.

My feelings are still mixed, because if this game, as is, was released without the same Hype that it had drawn around it for the last few years, it would be very serviceable still. That in no way mitigates two super important feelings I have on it. 1) Bugs are bugs are bugs, this along with the lack of proper porting onto older consoles feels lacking and doesn't live up to the promises made a big let down for many people who only have consoles as their primary gaming machine, which ties into: 2) It was not worth the time people spent crunching to get it made. I think it needed 2 or 3 years more time in development than it got, and I was willing to wait, it may not be worth much to say it after having played it, but there it is.

Over all, I would give the Game with bugs a 7/10. The gameplay is interesting and fun, the story and NPCs are engaging. Remove the errors, and it's 8/10, as it feels like they had so much untapped potential left behind as it was pushed out the door as fast as possible.

Seriously, no barber shop or tattoo parlors to change appearances? Or even a Ripper to alter our looks, the heck guys...
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I still have not encountered any serious bugs. Or even heard of anyone reporting to have had one. There are rare visual glitches, but that's all that I am aware of.
    Never had quests not update, being unable to talk with quest-NPCs, enemies getting stuck in walls, myself glitching through the floor, cars levitating in the sky, elevators not responding, or anything in that regard. Such things were standard in all RPG back in my days. When we had to go to school barefoot in snow, uphill, both ways. It was standard even 10 years ago for big name RPGs.
    In over 50 hours of play, I only had to reload after dying in combat. And even though the game makes five auto-saves and keeps five quick-saves, and I keep up to 12 manual saves around out of habit, I never loaded a save other than the most recent one. Not saying they shouldn't be ashamed for the game being in the state it is, but in the all time list of shameful releases, this one actually stands pretty down at the bottom to me.

And in the latest episode of "Spot that Reference": I think the Arasaka Heavies look a lot like Briareos from Appleseed.
    And Misty obviously looks like one of the replicants from Blade Runner.
    That's either objectively false, or you're just not reading opinions from other people. Including those in this very thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Last gen consoles aside the game is nowhere near as buggy as New Vegas was on PC. As for the game itself, it is honestly better than New Vegas from a gameplay perspective because NV tried to straddle the line between iron sights and character skill which made it have a sort of hybrid system that to me never felt satisfying. Storylinewise I think NV comes ahead somewhat but CP has some really good story arcs and a pretty good cast of supporting characters so its not like the difference between the two is that vast.

Besides I'm a pretty firm believer that unless the bugs are truly amazingly atrocious people will ignore them. I think everyone here can think of a horribly buggy game that they love despite its warts. Its just the game had way too much hype and way too long of an information window. If they had kept their mouths shut and only released a few vids here and there over the past six months to a year it wouldn't be nearly as badly received.

Since we're throwing anecdotal experiences around like crazy on this thread, I never actually had a single crash in the hundreds of hours I played New Vegas on either PC or console, and neither did my roommate. In my experience, most of the whining came from people who modded their game like crazy and then acted surprised it was unstable.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

I remember actually being a bit ddisappointed when New Vegas didn't have any major bugs for me, except crashing when I activated 30 new mods at once. Those rotating head bugs in the intro looked hilarious.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

New update on game balance.

I just did a stealth crit headshot for a third of a million damage.

Most enemies have about 9000 hitpoints on Very Hard.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Most enemies have about 9000 hitpoints on Very Hard.
    Also known as the 'AI sucks, so bullet sponge difficulty'
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Also known as the 'AI sucks, so bullet sponge difficulty'
    If you want smart, aggressive AI, RPGs are not the genre for you. The entire purpose of the AI is less to challenge player skill, and more to provide a block of HP large enough that the player can notice their chosen upgrades melting it faster. And every problem needs to be solvable with whatever build you've chosen.

I've been playing Halo 2, and it's kinda crazy just how different of a gameplay aesthetic it goes for. Depending on the situation, the game just shuts down or relentlessly punishes entire playstyles. You aren't going to shotgun your way through those snipers, that White Elite doesn't care that you have the plasma sword, he'll just tank the hit and punch your face in, and even a stupid grunt can 1-shot you with a plasma grenade. An RPG that pushed back like that would be considered infuriatingly broken, because 3/4 of the time your character build wouldn't work.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What the game isn’t: the Alpha-Omega TTRPG but on a computer-lifestyle sim-personal ideology confirmer-GTA-X Universe But In Night City that so many people dreamed a dream about.

What it is: A story rich ARPG focused on a pre-determined character personality with stories that are cyberpunk AF, in a setting that is cyberpunk AF, with an open world that exists as scaffolding for the story and cyberpunkery and feels on the money.

So, in many ways Witcher-esque, but you know, cyberpunk-Ed.

Within those confines:

The gameplay is fun, not wildly-fun-beyond-measure,
    but certainly fun enough to match most other major titles and carry you around the setting and the story. The story is definitely a cyberpunk one, and it is definitely character focused - with the requisite loss of agency in self-characterization. Honestly, it is executed well at the main story level, supporting story “quests that aren’t main but you’ll almost certainly do” level, and extended side quest level. The quick side quests could use a little more panache and variety, and that’s probably the area of storytelling that is weaker than the otherwise really quite good stuff. Of note, many of the more interesting side quests and better quick quests don’t show up until later in the game.

And for the feeling? You get all that retro-80s future feel, and hard. None better. You want to drive to a meet with a fixer in a smoky club, passing neon Japan town signs and a firefight flashing a block over, all while a synth-electronic song that is somehow not corny blares? You got it.

As for bugs, I’ve been playing on a mid range laptop. I’ve hit a few “late beta” style bugs (I reloaded because a soundtrack loop occurred, and one time the car views refused to switch) which really should have been polished, but I have not experienced the “mid-alpha Jank” that others report.

It’s solid fun, it’s cyberpunk AF on a scale no one has really seen, and you’ll more than get your hour-dollar out of it.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Small update:
    After not playing for a few days, I downloaded the latest patch; I still have some struggles loading assests (often have to unequip and re-equip armor for it to show V as wearing it, and the UI not fully loading when switching menus), enemies locking up in combat happens rarely now, missions seem to have their triggers working again (I started a new game as a Corpo), and I've had one crash when I went to quickhack in an open area during combat.

The game feels slightly better, and to hop back onto the New Vegas comparison, I can handle the occasional visual glitch or clipping if I enjoy a game's narrative. Playing on a 5 year old Xbox One will obviously not be ideal, but for now I can tolerate a few hiccups.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Oh that one.

Ya I killed everyone without a second thought. You are editing a snuff BD, you made your choice.
    I uhhh, had the same though. I was closer to the son and after I killed him first the fathers response made me have to set the game down and go pour myself a drink. The voice acting there was top shelf.

In general I don't mind that a lot of gigs can be fairly shallow. Not every job needs to be it's own deep sub quest and on my second character my playstyle is different enough I barely notice redoing the same mission to often.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Son of a gonk! What's wrong with the Bloody Ritual cyberpsycho?!

I'm level 20 now, with 238 armor and 200 dps guns. And that freak can kill me in 2 seconds without a sweat. Game says the threat for this quest is "Very Low", but that's certainly not the case.

How do you kill this thing without dying in under 10 seconds? Overload Optics helps a little bit, but with all the running away and her speed, there just isn't really much opportunity to get any quickhack on her.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #131

Cripple movement quickhack? I didn't kill all the psychos, but CM helped for every high-speed enemy.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I'm level 20 now, with 238 armor and 200 dps guns. And that freak can kill me in 2 seconds without a sweat. Game says the threat for this quest is "Very Low", but that's certainly not the case.

How do you kill this thing without dying in under 10 seconds? Overload Optics helps a little bit, but with all the running away and her speed, there just isn't really much opportunity to get any quickhack on her.
    Your armor doesn't work. I will keep saying this until it stops being true, so advanced enemies that you should be able to beat, are much harder because you are effectively naked.

Also, get the Arm Launcher and get Tranq Darts. It one shots literally everything in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Cripple movement quickhack? I didn't kill all the psychos, but CM helped for every high-speed enemy.
    Got to get looking for this one.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #134

Got to get looking for this one.
    IIRC you can just flat out but it at the netrunners shop in kabuki market roundabout for 1500. The one where you get ping in the prologue.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Your armor doesn't work. I will keep saying this until it stops being true, so advanced enemies that you should be able to beat, are much harder because you are effectively naked.

Also, get the Arm Launcher and get Tranq Darts. It one shots literally everything in the game.
    I think it's not so much that it doesn't work as it's more or less negligible unless you hyper-stack it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I think it's not so much that it doesn't work as it's more or less negligible unless you hyper-stack it.
    No, it literally doesn't work. Some people have somehow gotten it to work, but I decided to go check it myself as did a buddy. I take the exact same amount of damage from the same enemy whether I have 200 armor or I don't.

First shot takes me to 45, the second kills me.

Now, if you get it to work, you can super stack it to like 10k or something dumb and take 1-3 damage from literally everything.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it literally doesn't work. Some people have somehow gotten it to work, but I decided to go check it myself as did a buddy. I take the exact same amount of damage from the same enemy whether I have 200 armor or I don't.

First shot takes me to 45, the second kills me.

Now, if you get it to work, you can super stack it to like 10k or something dumb and take 1-3 damage from literally everything.
    I mean.... 200 armor is literally only -5 damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

I just punched her into submission around the same level.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Just today, I found a handy guide to how to make the armor system in this game actually affect the gameplay. It is, of course, just as broken as armor not working at all.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I mean.... 200 armor is literally only -5 damage.
    Yes, and it doesn't even do that.

Also, if it takes 200 armor to drop 5 damage, what is even the point?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

This is fascinating. Last week I was reading about how the armor system sucks because it makes you dress in uncool ways to get the maximum value. Now it sucks because it doesn't matter.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    This is fascinating. Last week I was reading about how the armor system sucks because it makes you dress in uncool ways to get the maximum value. Now it sucks because it doesn't matter.
    I agree that wearing ridiculous stuff to get max stats is dumb, but I play Monster Hunter so it's not high on my list.

Frankly I'm still convinced that the armor system doesn't work because when I tested it I went from 180 to 45 to dead in two shots irespective of if I had armor on or not.

Now I find out that it's apparently supposed to be -1 damage per 40 (if I'm reading it right) and that's so low that unless you're gonna cheese it, I don't see the point in caring. Just pick what looks decent and wear that.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, and it doesn't even do that.

Also, if it takes 200 armor to drop 5 damage, what is even the point?
    If it drops damage by 5 per shot, it's quite useful. It makes you highly resistant to fast firing weapons, but less resistant to slower firing, punchier weapons (which you can dodge or otherwise avoid).

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that wearing ridiculous stuff to get max stats is dumb, but I play Monster Hunter so it's not high on my list.

Frankly I'm still convinced that the armor system doesn't work because when I tested it I went from 180 to 45 to dead in two shots irespective of if I had armor on or not.

Now I find out that it's apparently supposed to be -1 damage per 40 (if I'm reading it right) and that's so low that unless you're gonna cheese it, I don't see the point in caring. Just pick what looks decent and wear that.
    I mean, from 180 to 45 is 135 points of damage. + or - 5 isn't going to do much difference to almost triple your health in damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    If it drops damage by 5 per shot, it's quite useful. It makes you highly resistant to fast firing weapons, but less resistant to slower firing, punchier weapons (which you can dodge or otherwise avoid).
    An assault rifle does like 20 a shot, so... I wouldn't use the words "highly resistant", particularly on Hard when they chew through my HP incredibly quick.

I mean, from 180 to 45 is 135 points of damage. + or - 5 isn't going to do much difference to almost triple your health in damage.
    You're missing the point. When I say "does nothing" I don't mean "garbage effectiveness" I mean that I take the exact same damage. If armor worked as you say, I should have gone to 50 hp and then died, but I didn't.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2020-12-22 at 07:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

DruidGuy

Spiffing Brit just did a video on armour. He became immortal, effectively taking no damage from firearms.

Melee weapons ignore armour.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

An assault rifle does like 20 a shot, so... I wouldn't use the words "highly resistant", particularly on Hard when they chew through my HP incredibly quick.
    That is a 25% damage reduction. A 25% damage reduction would be considered massive in most RPGs.

I also play on Hard, and can't say I've had the same issues. I'm also almost purely a melee build, so I'm pretty sure I eat more shots than you do. Mind, I have more health, but I rarely feel like enemies chew through my HP egregiously quickly. I have an armor of about...400-ish? I have a cyberware that gives 200 armor and all my armor pieces give about 40 apiece, besides the chest piece which is like 70 or so.

The only enemies that regularly mulch me are the one sin the Arroyo/Rancho Coronado/Heywood area, because Valentinos and 6th Street gangers are ludicrously high level (which I believe sparked my questioning earlier in the thread of "How the **** did Streetkid V and Jackie manage to survive in Heywood?"). Other enemies I can't just stand there and eat hits, but as long as I keep moving and occasionally pop behind cover for a quick inhaler shot things work out fine in prolonged firefights.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

That is a 25% damage reduction. A 25% damage reduction would be considered massive in most RPGs.

I also play on Hard, and can't say I've had the same issues. I'm also almost purely a melee build, so I'm pretty sure I eat more shots than you do. Mind, I have more health, but I rarely feel like enemies chew through my HP egregiously quickly. I have an armor of about...400-ish? I have a cyberware that gives 200 armor and all my armor pieces give about 40 apiece, besides the chest piece which is like 70 or so.

The only enemies that regularly mulch me are the one sin the Arroyo/Rancho Coronado/Heywood area, because Valentinos and 6th Street gangers are ludicrously high level (which I believe sparked my questioning earlier in the thread of "How the **** did Streetkid V and Jackie manage to survive in Heywood?"). Other enemies I can't just stand there and eat hits, but as long as I keep moving and occasionally pop behind cover for a quick inhaler shot things work out fine in prolonged firefights.
    It would if there wasn't 4-6 attacks being made a second.

And that's probably because Armor actually works for you. I have no idea how it does, because, for everyone I know, and a ton of people talking about it online, it doesn't. So I die in a handful of shots from even crappy mooks, 2 or three shots of slightly higher enemies and I will be literally one shot by stuff higher than me.

Combat for me is:

Pop out and shoot with Precision rifle or Revolver
    Kill target
    Duck back, inhale
    Pop back out
    Duck back, inhale
    Rush last target with shotgun.

I'm basically playing Call of Duty.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Which RPGs are you referring to? Any RPG I've ever played has much more effective armour than that.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Which RPGs are you referring to? Any RPG I've ever played has much more effective armour than that.
    For a single armor piece?