New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 6: Six at the Beach

Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet hugs Zabb back, much more willingly than the last time. She pats his back. "There, there. Uh, it's okay, don't cry." She starts crying a little too. "It's just... I have to be careful. There are people who, uh, want to kill me. It's hard, uh, growing up as a fiend."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Coast Crawling]

The mermaid priestesses are in the water, performing a ritual that is half-dance half-reenactment. Much of it can't easily be watched from a distance, since a large part of it takes place underwater.

The non-priestess mermaid is the first to notice Anchor. (Well, maybe Anchor's shadow noticed first. Or the dog Briar. It's possible. But Zophiel was a little busy watching the ritual and making sure he didn't mess up the planning, or require them to do something that's too difficult for them to do. Also, importantly, making sure no random slavers show up and decide to make a second bad decision tonight.) She catches the paladin's attention and tells him to look at the waterfall.

Zophiel looks over at his daughter.
    He waves her over, and mouths (not speaking up in case it disrupts the mermaids' focus) 'Hey; is it safe, then?'
    He, of course, also notices the swords. Pretty neat swords. One of them looks pretty magnificent, and the other one also looks nice. Reacts to weakness and hatred, from what he can tell. And, he comes to a realization.
    When she gets over here, he informs her of his realization (not too loud, of course): "Well, that explains why the original ritual looked like it was supposed to have a sword and a blood sacrifice. They -" he gestures at the priestesses "- said it was just symbolic, so I found a way to make it actually symbolic. It's a miracle their old ritual even worked this long."
    "How did it go in there?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Coast Crawling]

Coming out from under the waterfall, soaking wet, Anchor smiles at the non-priestess mermaid. Can't say anything at this distance, though.

She nods to Zophiel and then listens as he explains.
    "Not symbolic, no. The sword didn't want to be there, and then something turned and attacked me."
    "I mean, I won though."
    "And the ritual took hold and sealed it up in the altar."

She looks at the mermaids; Can't really see what they're doing underwater, though.
    "Everything went well out here?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #244

Default [Coast Crawling]

The Paladin Zophiel nods, and then looks back at the mermaids, to ensure everything is working properly. He did rush a little and figured it would be best to start as soon as possible rather than double- and triple-checking that everything was perfect. Coralia, in the reenactment-ritual, appears to be taking the place of the figurative sacrificial victim, miming sacrificing herself with a glass prop while all the other priestesses perform synchronized swimming (with complex hand movements) in the hemisphere around her.
    "Everything went perfectly. Thanks to you driving that thing away, they were able to set the stage and I could focus without distractions. That fog made it hard to focus."

"So, good job. I was planning on coming and helping if I had finished fast enough, but you did great. Was it difficult?"

Speaking of helping,
    Coralia's sister swims as close as she can to Anchor and Zophiel. She knows she said she would help all she could, and she wanted to follow through the waterfall, but she apologizes that she wasn't able to do anything.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #245

Default [Coast Crawling]

Thank goodness the sacrifice had become only figurative. If they had done all that only to sacrifice one of the people they rescued...

"It seemed like the fog was from the old ritual."
    "That thing was powerful, but not very tough. I mean, it was really reckless, so it wasn't too difficult in the end."

Oh, and here comes that mermaid. Anchor heads over to the edge of the water where she's come. "What are you saying? I mean, you were a huge help. That whole space behind the waterfall was flooded. We couldn't have stopped the spirit without you."
    Anchor's shadow takes this opportunity to slip back into position by Anchor herself.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet hugs Zabb back, much more willingly than the last time. She pats his back. "There, there. Uh, it's okay, don't cry." She starts crying a little too. "It's just... I have to be careful. There are people who, uh, want to kill me. It's hard, uh, growing up as a fiend."
    [Silver Sand Stretch]

"I can only imagine... but I feel your pain. You're scared for your life for a heritage you can't control, and here I am making it worse. I couldn't even let you enjoy your first sandcastle building... I'm so sorry! I was only trying to make you feel better, not threaten you, I promise!"
    Zabb confesses, squeezing her legs. "Let me make it up to you... if you wanna talk about it, then I'll listen. I won't harm you, even if I don't like what I hear... because you just want to live your life, right? You don't want to hurt anyone, right?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"I, uh... Sorry. I don't want to talk about it." Sekhmet replies apologetically. She sits down in the sand, still crying. Then, contrary to what she said, she starts talking about it. "It's all my mother's fault. I just want to have a peaceful life. As long as she's out there, I'm in, uh, danger."

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #248

Default [Coast Crawling]

Coralia's sister probably would have felt awful if that had happened.

The paladin says, "Well, good job regardless, even if it wasn't too diificult." Even easy-to-beat powerful things still need a lot of caution in case they find an advantage or a lucky chance.

The paladin rolls his shoulders back and, as Anchor and the mermaid speak to each other, he takes advantage of this free time to ensure everything's going well with the ritual. They aren't at a particularly hard part, but it is really crucial.

That mermaid still seems a little apologetic. "Well, still...I should have done more. I'm glad that I was able to help some, then, but...I:m sorry. I was just too scared to follow you."
    Would've been hard to follow at first, when the water was only ankle-high. Which is why she adds, "Even after it looked like I could swim in, I just..."
    She cuts her sentence short, unsure how to end it.
    "Glad you didn't need me in there, in the end." If Anchor had been hurt or killed because the mermaid was too scared of entering, that would have almost been as bad as her sister needing to sacrifice herself.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"I, uh... Sorry. I don't want to talk about it." Sekhmet replies apologetically. She sits down in the sand, still crying. Then, contrary to what she said, she starts talking about it. "It's all my mother's fault. I just want to have a peaceful life. As long as she's out there, I'm in, uh, danger."
    [Silver Sand Stretch]

Zabb sits down beside her, shifting so he looks more like a 19-year old. It's easier this way, they can be the same height and not have to look up/down at the other. His wings twitch as he listens to her speak. "Your mum... she wants you dead? Or, she wants to take you away from your happy life? Can you... talk about her?"
    Love is the message.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet blinks in surprise when Zabb ages thirteen years in an instant, but says nothing. "I, uh, don't know if I should say." He did promise not to hurt her. "She wants me to join her. To be her left hand." Has Zabb noticed that Sekhmet is left-handed? Sinister, some would say.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #251

Default Re: [Coast Crawling]

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Coralia's sister probably would have felt awful if that had happened.

The paladin says, "Well, good job regardless, even if it wasn't too diificult." Even easy-to-beat powerful things still need a lot of caution in case they find an advantage or a lucky chance.

The paladin rolls his shoulders back and, as Anchor and the mermaid speak to each other, he takes advantage of this free time to ensure everything's going well with the ritual. They aren't at a particularly hard part, but it is really crucial.

That mermaid still seems a little apologetic. "Well, still...I should have done more. I'm glad that I was able to help some, then, but...I:m sorry. I was just too scared to follow you."
    Would've been hard to follow at first, when the water was only ankle-high. Which is why she adds, "Even after it looked like I could swim in, I just..."
    She cuts her sentence short, unsure how to end it.
    "Glad you didn't need me in there, in the end." If Anchor had been hurt or killed because the mermaid was too scared of entering, that would have almost been as bad as her sister needing to sacrifice herself.
    Both the mermaids and the obsidian sword contributed to it being a lot safer.
    Having to move on her own underwater while holding her breath...that would have been quite a tall order!

Anchor gives the swords to her shadow and tries to seem understanding of the mermaid.
    "Well, you did help, and it all worked out. I mean, next time you'll be braver, right?"
    She reaches into her pocket and gets out a little metal token in the shape of an apple, which she offers to the mermaid.
    "In fact, have this, as a lucky charm to remind you not to be afraid."
    If the mermaid takes it, it'll seem to prick her finger despite having no sharp edges, and from then on she'll be up to twice as brave!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #252

Default [Coast Crawling]

The mermaid supposes she'll be braver next time there's some unknowable creature around.

She accepts the lucky charm even though it pricks her, and suddenly becomes twice as brave.
    She thanks Anchor, and also apologizes again.

Meanwhile, Zophiel sighs in relief.
    "They've gotten past the important parts; all that's left was mostly lifted from the ritual they've practiced. For all intents and purposes, it's over." The priestesses are still doing things, and it might be interesting to watch, just for fun, but it's over.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #253

Default [Coast Crawling]

It's easy to think "Surely I won't have to confront an unknowable monster again" at first. But just wait, mermaid! These things have a way of repeating themselves.

Anchor laughs "I've gotten the apology. I mean, everyone is back in the water, and the ritual worked. You should celebrate, and not dwell on how you were afraid."
    She nods to Zophiel, but she will stay and watch the rest of the ritual performance.
    "Huh. I would have expected it to make more sense once it was all done. I mean, has everyone really forgotten how this all started?" Perhaps it will just have to stay a mystery.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #254

Default [Coast Crawling]

The mermaid says 'okay'.
    She still doubts that she's going to have to confront another unknowable monster some time in the future, but...
    Actually, thinking about it,
    Anchor literally fought two of them within 24 hours, within walking distance of each other. In fact, within swimming distance of each other, too.

The ritual performance ends without incident. The paladin lets the priestesses know it all was fine. Most of them go swim back to the outpost to rest from their extremely long week and let their friends (and, after sending a message, their family) that they're okay, and to update the ritual records and have discussions on how this impacts their beliefs and interpretations of their scriptures.

"Yeah, me too," Zophiel says. He puts his hands on the ground and leans back on them. "I mean, there were some things I was able to piece together. Like, okay, a long time ago several people - probably most of them weren't mermaids or mermen - sealed away some...thing. Or person. It definitely involved a sacrifice, and presumably for a while, there were yearly sacrifices until eventually they stopped. I had really hoped to find out whether the thing that was sealed away was a vengeful god of the mermaids, or just some horrible monster that was devastating the local area. Could have been both, even."
    He sighs.
    "Well, I guess it doesn't really matter." Thinking about the goddess he has sealed within him, as well as all of the false histories he was told over all his life, he sees some parallels in it. "Over enough time, the actual history of what happened is probably lost anyway, and in the end it doesn't really matter: God or monster, the people being hurt don't care about the distinction. Seal it away long enough, and eventually there's no difference anyway."

He stares at the river a bit longer.
    He sighs again.
    Then, he stands.
    "If we've made enemies with the black market in this town, we can't stay here for the night. If you can handle another all-nighter, we can get to the Dancing Fox Inn by noon. If you need sleep...well...I could carry you."
    Then, he has a realization.
    "Or we could take that mime's motorcycle, if it's still around." Should be a lot faster.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

"Her second-in-command?" Zabb asks, glancing at the horns on her head. "I thought those thingies on your head looked rather... crown-like. The fireball, especially... so that makes you a demon princess?"

He looks at her with some compassion. "So, she's trying to make you join her, and doesn't care about the fact that you dun wanna?"
    Love is the message.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet nods. "Uh, yes." She tenses up, awaiting an attack that never comes. When Zabb talks to her instead she calms down a little. "She wants me to swear an oath that would, uh, bind me to her service forever. If she, uh, catches me, she'll, uh, do whatever she can to force me to." The implication there is fairly clear.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #257

Default [Coast Crawling]

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    The mermaid says 'okay'.
    She still doubts that she's going to have to confront another unknowable monster some time in the future, but...
    Actually, thinking about it,
    Anchor literally fought two of them within 24 hours, within walking distance of each other. In fact, within swimming distance of each other, too.

The ritual performance ends without incident. The paladin lets the priestesses know it all was fine. Most of them go swim back to the outpost to rest from their extremely long week and let their friends (and, after sending a message, their family) that they're okay, and to update the ritual records and have discussions on how this impacts their beliefs and interpretations of their scriptures.

"Yeah, me too," Zophiel says. He puts his hands on the ground and leans back on them. "I mean, there were some things I was able to piece together. Like, okay, a long time ago several people - probably most of them weren't mermaids or mermen - sealed away some...thing. Or person. It definitely involved a sacrifice, and presumably for a while, there were yearly sacrifices until eventually they stopped. I had really hoped to find out whether the thing that was sealed away was a vengeful god of the mermaids, or just some horrible monster that was devastating the local area. Could have been both, even."
    He sighs.
    "Well, I guess it doesn't really matter." Thinking about the goddess he has sealed within him, as well as all of the false histories he was told over all his life, he sees some parallels in it. "Over enough time, the actual history of what happened is probably lost anyway, and in the end it doesn't really matter: God or monster, the people being hurt don't care about the distinction. Seal it away long enough, and eventually there's no difference anyway."

He stares at the river a bit longer.
    He sighs again.
    Then, he stands.
    "If we've made enemies with the black market in this town, we can't stay here for the night. If you can handle another all-nighter, we can get to the Dancing Fox Inn by noon. If you need sleep...well...I could carry you."
    Then, he has a realization.
    "Or we could take that mime's motorcycle, if it's still around." Should be a lot faster.
    So you too, mermaid, could swim your way into an unknowable monster situation. You could do it tonight.
    This is a terrible idea do not attempt it.

"It seems like it may be, I mean, the thing that was out here, it seemed to match the sealing. Like it was the sacrifice, forgotten, lashing out."
    "But the water-thing was there on the river too. Maybe the fog, and the song, were just the seal stretching to contain it?"
    "Or maybe none of that."

Anchor looks down at the water of the river going by.
    "It matters to the god or monster, right? After all this time, we don't know why they were sealed away in the first place. I mean, we saved people by this river from being killed or worse, but the mermaids have to keep this up forever. And what originally happened, you know, it matters. It does." Someday, the paladin and the reason for his ritual changes will also be forgotten by a new generation of merpriestesses. There's a lesson here.
    She starts gathering up the rest of her magical gear that was thrown from the table during the first confrontation, before looking up at the path towards the town.
    Did the drivers take their carts with them when they fled the scene?
    "I could use a rest, but...let's go look for a motorcycle." With a sigh, she starts walking.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #258

Default [Coast Crawling]

"It could be," the paladin says. Could be the sacrifice, forgotten and lashing out. "The ritual was supposed to have a sacrifice, after all. But they haven't done it for hundreds of years, so it all just depended on the last sacrifice over and over. The way it was set up, I could see it trapping the sacrifice there until the next one replaces it." However, it is no longer set up that way. So hopefully that's better.

Zophiel keeps on walking. He does stop to help gather up the things.
    "I hope what happened this time prompts some of them to finding out what happened and why they're doing it, then," he says.

The ones who brought the mermaids here all left with the carts, since they'd rather not walk back and they didn't want to stick around.
    Similarly, the ones that didn't have mermaid-tanks also left for much of the same reason. (Well, a couple of them were taken by the freed-people.)
    And the motorcycle is gone for a rhyming reason: either the mime retrieved it when he got helped out, or someone else stole it.
    However!
    Remember how one of the carts had a horse slain? And then they took a horse from another cart?
    That other covered wagon is still there, with only one horse. It needed two horses to pull the cage and chains and slightly-uncomfortable blankets and weather-protected-coverings and and all the people who were in it. So, an abandoned cart, with a single abandoned and lonely horse still hooked up to it, is still there.

After they get there and find out that the motorcycle and everything and everybody is already gone,
    Zophiel removes the large cage and chains and things from the back of the cart. "This is probably our best option, then," he says. He's never been so glad that somebody butchered a horse; otherwise, this cart would likely have been taken away as well. "Won't be as fast as a motorcycle, but..." it is possible to sleep in it, actually.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet nods. "Uh, yes." She tenses up, awaiting an attack that never comes. When Zabb talks to her instead she calms down a little. "She wants me to swear an oath that would, uh, bind me to her service forever. If she, uh, catches me, she'll, uh, do whatever she can to force me to." The implication there is fairly clear.
    [Silver Sand Stretch]

Zabb nods in understanding. When he speaks again, there's a touch of anger in his voice, but it's not directed at the demon beside him. "Whatever she can, including harming your friends so you'd have to follow her just to keep them safe. That's why you don't want too many friends, because it's safer for them... and for you."

"What have you been doing about it so far? Do you need protection? Even if I can't directly intervene, I can make you harder to find, if you want." He suggests, placing a comforting hand on hers.
    Love is the message.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"Yes, uh, right." Sekhmet thinks he's got it about right. The other risk is that she'll just torture Sekhmet. "I think whatever you could do to help hide me would be good."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #261

Default [Coast Crawling]

"Wonderful work, setting it up to not need a sacrifice in that little bit of time." That does make her feel better about it all.

Anchor makes an effort to hike back up steadily, but now that the excitement of fighting a giant void monster has worn off, all the tiredness is setting in.
    Her shadow, which isn't bothering to look much like her at all, seems to be feeling much better by now, and frequently flutters ahead or races off to look around.

Once they see what's gone on, she leans wearily against the side of the cart.
    "Better than walking, sure."
    She helps the dog up into the cart and then climbs in herself.
    Surely it will only take one horse to pull the three of them, now that all that gear is left behind.
    For her part, Anchor has never been glad that someone randomly killed a horse - until now.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-01 at 11:26 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

"Don't worry, I'm here to help! And I'll ensure you don't even trip on stones! Figuratively." Zabb says, smiling at her. "I can make it harder for her to track you, a hedge of protection around your home! Though GLoG is more well defended than people seem to think..." He pauses to think for a second. "So, how about something you and your husband can keep on your person? I'd bless you directly, but... you know..." The whole 'angel burns demon' thing.

He gets up and shifts back to his 6-year old form. "Let's go to your house in GLoG, please!"
    Love is the message.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"Okay, uh," Sekhmet looks a little down. "I had hoped to, uh, collect a few more shells. She needs a good number for her project, in case she messes up and has to redo it.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

"Aww, don't be sad, Sekhmet! Here, I'll help you collect more, and then we can go! Yay!" Zabb squeals, trying to cheer her up. "What's it for? Is it for a protection spell? Can I help with the project?"
    Love is the message.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

Sekhmet picks up a shell from the surf again. "It's for a communication spell. So I can call my husband even if I'm... Not here." In Hell, she means. She doesn't want to go there, but it's a distinct possibility.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

Zabb nods, understanding what's unspoken. "That makes sense!" He declares, then smiles like he's scolding a silly younger sibling. "You really thought I'd smite you just for that? Although... with the way some angels in other worlds are, I can't blame you." He frowns in disapproval at that. "If I even came to tell them you had a good heart, they might want to try and smite me!"

He flies around in silence and picks up some seashells that he shows her, then pours in her bag. "I feel like I should reassure you that you're not your mother." That means two things: it's her mother's sort that he despises, so she's in no danger; and to reassure her that she's not a bad person by just because she's her mother's spawn.
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #267

Default [Coast Crawling]

"Thanks," the paladin says. Sacrifices are, he feels, more like pocket knives, with way too many tools that you don't need all of them for the situation. Or cudgels. Or things like that. There's (almost) always a better way to accomplish the same thing.

Before leaving, the paladin first makes sure the horse is okay and is willing to trust them.
    Then, he turns the cart around (it was previously going to Skyside) to take the route that goes to the Dancing Fox Inn. (It is the only place he really knows at this point in time, besides these beachside towns.) He still owes her a meal for the bet he lost earlier, and that's probably a decent place to do it. Also, they probably need to catch up to the present, since this is still, like, over a year ago.

fin?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"It's, uh, not exactly a wholesome spell." Sekhmet explains. Most spells that contact demons in Hell aren't. But her intent with it is good, if not her method.

"Thank you." Sekhmet responds to being told she's not her mother. "That means, uh, a lot to me." She doesn't want to be her mother.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #269

Default [Coast Crawling]

Anchor is quickly fast asleep in the back of the cart, her shadow likewise with wings wrapped over her in clear defiance of optics.
    They do have a lot of catching up to do.

The End
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

"You're not using it for malicious reasons, right? Just for love, and if you knew it'd corrupt you, you probably wouldn't do it... so I'd say it's okay, buuut... is there an alternative you haven't considered?" Zabb asks after realizing what she means. "If not, then I hope you know what you're doing... but if so, then let's try it instead?"

"Yay!" He smiles at her thanks, and hugs her once again.
    Love is the message.