New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 6: Six at the Beach

Team Quest
    Despite Sappeerel's encouragement, Batsael looks infuriated. "That floofer survived! Floofing cheater, that was a perfect headshot!" More profanities follow out of her mouth.
    Selekhael looks confused. "They're exploding, uh, what do we do now?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker’s Home

Codebreaker folds his arms.
    ”Really? Then why’d you die?” he asks simply.
    ”And there’s at least ten attacks, and that’s ignoring the fact that the combat is deliberately simplified and slowed down so that someone like me is still capable of winning.
    Regardless some people like when things are bleak. Something about triumph in the face of adversity . Or they just like being metaphorically stabbed in the gut repeatedly.”

Frankly he doesn’t understand the appeal of those kinds of stories. At least a game you can win even if the plot and mechanics are nihilistic.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Codebreaker's Home]

"Mentally, it's not that hard." Kyrie amends. "The challenge is all physical; just pushing the right button at the right time. I haven't had much of a chance to get good at that." He sighs. "When else in my life have I ever needed to push a button? Or, for that matter, push it quickly? Maybe that one time, when Owena brought home a mi-" Kyrie stops and scowls. "...Ah, cacu, there's nobody home to watch the kids." Kyrie continues to swear under his breath, not bothering to pick the controller back up. That was going to be a disaster. Owena could probably take care of herself, but Siana and Arthfael were definitely going to fight if he wasn't there, and as Codebreaker was no doubt aware, the collateral damage would be astounding.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker’s Home

”You need me to check on them? I can go after breakfast.” He would have eaten by now but he was very busy trying to keep Kyrie alive and treat his terrible case of grump.
    He kind of wishes that he had more time to actually find something he would like.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

Team Quest

"Keep firing until they've stopped sinking and have sunk! Just because they're exploding doesn't mean they're all dead!" Mishnehel accompanies her words with another strafe or two across the sinking vessel's decks, before moving on to the masts and rigging. She wants to ensure the ship stays deep, where any survivors have to swim ashore and are easier pickings for her companions with more accurate weaponry. Also, she wants to see what effect her growth-aspect gun has on sails and rope.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #876

[Codebreaker's Home]

Kyrie sighs. "If it isn't any trouble." The corners of his mouth go up in what's almost a smile. "Codebreaker... thank you."

As a show of good faith, Kyrie will continue playing video games while Codebreaker is gone. He's bound to find something he likes in the time he's gone. Either that, or exhaust the majority of the titles in Codebreaker's library.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker’s Home

”There’s beef and eggs in the kitchen if you get hungry.” says Codebreaker with a shrug. Of course. Barely ten minutes to sit in a decent seat. Maybe his legs really will give out.
    At least he already has the address. Even if he doesn’t know the neighborhood as well as he’s supposed to, he should be able to find it with a few minutes in his car…

8. - Top - End - #878

[3350 Sleeping Link Lane]

Codebreaker might remember Kyrie saying his house was made of brick. What he neglected to mention was that it was a sort of mud-and-cob brick, cobbled together into a small, earthen structure, about ten by fifteen meters. There's a number of tools outside, including the materials needed to make more bricks; presumably, Kyrie's had to make a few repairs recently. The building doesn't have any windows (the vampires would find them counterproductive), leaving only two potential ingresses; identical doorways on the front and back of the house, each with a plank wood door blocking light going in or out. Despite the crudeness of the materials, the structure appears to be relatively sturdy; Codebreaker might be reminded of an old, very small fortress.

As Codebreaker approaches, he'll be able to hear faint music coming from inside; rock, by the sounds of it. And raised voices; Siana and Arthfael arguing about something or another.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-23 at 09:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

3350 Sleeping Link Lane

Well. No sense in beating around the bush. CB locks the car and waddles straight to the front door, tapping his knuckle against it.
    ”Hellooo~ Clear the door please, it’s your uncle’s favorite fellow wolf-man!” he calls cheerily. And rather loudly since he’s trying to be heard over the music.
    He’ll have to slip inside quickly. He isn’t expecting any of them to actually open the door for him since you know. Doing so would be actual suicide. So he’ll wait a while before opening the door.

10. - Top - End - #880

He might be surprised, then, when Owena opens the door immediately for him. Thankfully, the angles at play here make it so direct sunlight only hits her from the waist down, which is completely covered by the dark cloth of her robe, protecting her from the sun's harsh rays... if only for the few seconds needed to usher Codebreaker inside. "Come in." She says, with a little smile.

The central room of the house is somewhat small and cramped-feeling; it's comparable to maybe a large van, filled mostly with a masonwork bar that seems to serve as an all-purpose table and food prep area. The rest of the room is dark and featureless; no wallpaper, no carpet, no furniture, no paintings, nothing. All that's noteworthy here is the six doors leading out; the one Codebreaker came in through, an identical one at the far end of the room, and two flanking pairs of doors on either side that presumably lead off to the other rooms of the house. On the left, both doors are ajar, and Arthfael can be seen in his cramped little room, sitting on his bed and holding a cd player. The door to Siana's room is also open, and she's leaning out to argue with her little brother.

"...an hear you right through the wall, you know! Can't you turn it down just a little?"

"If I turned it down much more, I wouldn't be able to hear it!" Arthfael growls.

"Well, I'm trying to sleep, so maybe you could stop being an inconsiderate arse for a minute an-"

"Oh, I'm inconsiderate? Sorry, who converted the basement into her own personal obstacle course and got my phonograph left out in the rain?"

"I said I was sorry about that! At least uncle Kyrie got you something better!"

"It's the principle of the thing! You've got no respect for my stuff!"

"Neither do you! It took me fifteen minutes to find my cane this evening because you ran off with it!"

Owena sighs and leans up against the stone bar, turning her attention back to a little book she was reading by the light of a tiny blue flame in her hand. She quietly rolls her eyes at the argument, giving Codebreaker an apologetic smile.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

3350 Sleeping Link Lane

Codebreaker enters to Owena doesn't have to risk burning herself. He starts digging through his pockets.
    "Alright kids, form up!" he says jovially as he enters their living room.
    "I got your uncle into a spot of trouble so he's stuck in my basement playing Mario Kart. So! Uncle Codebreaker is taking care of you this day."
    "First up!" he tosses Arthfael a pair of earbuds, the special wolfen-ear-shaped heads removed so they just have the basic ones.
    "Second up. Well. Your uncle is going to rip my throat out if you laugh when you see him so I'm ripping the bandage off when he isn't here.
    He accepted me offer to have my patron help his back issues. He's now got a perfectly straight and healthy back-
    ...and a more than passing resemblance to yours truly..."

12. - Top - End - #882

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    3350 Sleeping Link Lane

Codebreaker enters to Owena doesn't have to risk burning herself. He starts digging through his pockets.
    "Alright kids, form up!" he says jovially as he enters their living room.
    "I got your uncle into a spot of trouble so he's stuck in my basement playing Mario Kart. So! Uncle Codebreaker is taking care of you this day."
    "First up!" he tosses Arthfael a pair of earbuds, the special wolfen-ear-shaped heads removed so they just have the basic ones.
    "Second up. Well. Your uncle is going to rip my throat out if you laugh when you see him so I'm ripping the bandage off when he isn't here.
    He accepted me offer to have my patron help his back issues. He's now got a perfectly straight and healthy back-
    ...and a more than passing resemblance to yours truly..."

At Codebreaker's news, the house falls silent as the teens all stare at him, reacting to the news.

Owena looks slightly concerned; her uncle putting on weight is a little worrisome, but ultimately, the major takeaway is that he won't be home today, but he's safe back where he is. "...I hope he gets plenty of rest." She says quietly, before turning her attention back to her book.

Siana's hand flies to her mouth, covering the horrified gasp she's making. Something bad happened to her uncle, and the fact that Codebreaker had been so light on the details disturbed her. "What happened? Is he all right?"

Arthfael... breaks out into laughter. "Oh, that's just..." He gives Siana a nudge with his elbow. "Whoa-ho, better look out, now there are two of them!" But really, he saw this coming a mile away. a wasn't a very reliable granter of wishes, from what he gathered, and Codebreaker did tell him in advance this was happening. His uncle failing to see the obvious warnings that things weren't going to great wasn't tragic; it was him being a total idiot. That was funny to him.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

"I assure you that he's perfectly fine. Just...going to be in need of a new wardrobe. He just got a little bit bigger and has a tail. Really it's nothing taking care of himself won't fix. But he's upset. And um. Shortly after I made such points and was told off a beam from the heavens descended upon him and lit him on fire." He doesn't really know how to drop that one lightly. "He's fine. But unless he's got more than one god keeping tabs on him it sounds like Absum or whoever he's always swearing to agrees with me that he needs to take better care of himself. I even offered to forgive the debt he insists on if he did and he's refusing. So...please try to make sure he takes care of himself. It's honestly kinda scary." He looks at the side of the wall.
    "Frankly I don't think he'd have wanted me to be up front with all of that but you kids deserve to know. And um. Well, if Absum is looking out for his health I can do the same for you. Really so uh. What can I get for you kids? This place is bigger than the apartment I grew up in if it's got a basement but it could really use a poster or something."

14. - Top - End - #884

[Sleeping Link Lane]

Siana goes paler (somehow) at Codebreaker's news, even more worried now that actual divine wrath was involved. Like, holy crap, dude. What did her uncle do that was so bad that death himself saw a need to intervene? So, she just falls completely silent, thunderstruck by this revelation.

And speaking of thunderstruck, when Codebreaker mentions that the place could really use a poster, Arthfael slowly pushes open his door so that more of his room is visible. Really, it looks more like a walk-in closet or possibly a prison cell than an actual room; Arthfael's bed takes up about a third of the available floor space, with a large wooden trunk that presumably served as a dresser taking up another third. Just above that is a series of brick outcroppings that are apparently intended to be used as shelves, though they are currently bare. And right over Arthfael's bed is an AC/DC poster; apparently, he had the same idea as Codebreaker.

"Our uncle has a very spartan way of living." Owena says finally, clapping her book shut. "Just the necessities. Anything else is a 'temptation to indulgence', as he would say." She smiles just a little. "Like you said; that isn't very good for him. Maybe now he'll be a little less stubborn on the subject. As for our immediate needs... we've already eaten, and this is when most of us go to bed, so not much." She gives Siana and Arthfael a pointed glare and they both hastily retreat into their respective rooms, doors slamming shut behind them.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-23 at 06:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

"Woah, dude. You get your own room? I didn't until my brother Edgar moved out." Arthfael should get the idea that CB is being sarcastic but isn't lying. He's clearly in agreement that the room is small but doesn't quite want to take his side completely.
    "You can keep the earbuds." he tells Arthfael as the boy and his sister retreat into their rooms. Well he doesn't have to keep them at bay at least.

"Well, I guess it's not hypocritical if he only looks indulgent. But still." he eyes Owena.
    "We haven't really talked before, Owena. Mostly I've spoken to your siblings and uncle. For the record, I would very much appreciate it if you could press the subject when your uncle gets back. He's already spend days rebuilding a's shrine and made a pretty darn symbolic gesture selling his stuff for me. We're even in my eyes if he lets himself live. And bathe. And lets you all do the same. I can't take more of your money. And if he insists and pays me anyway he's just going to find you kids suddenly have more things in your rooms."
    He shakes his head.
    "But what do you want, Owena? There must be something. Maybe the next volume? There's at least four more of those, isn't there?"

16. - Top - End - #886

Sleeping Link Lane

"Woah, dude. You get your own room? I didn't until my brother Edgar moved out." Arthfael should get the idea that CB is being sarcastic but isn't lying. He's clearly in agreement that the room is small but doesn't quite want to take his side completely.
    "You can keep the earbuds." he tells Arthfael as the boy and his sister retreat into their rooms. Well he doesn't have to keep them at bay at least.

"Well, I guess it's not hypocritical if he only looks indulgent. But still." he eyes Owena.
    "We haven't really talked before, Owena. Mostly I've spoken to your siblings and uncle. For the record, I would very much appreciate it if you could press the subject when your uncle gets back. He's already spend days rebuilding a's shrine and made a pretty darn symbolic gesture selling his stuff for me. We're even in my eyes if he lets himself live. And bathe. And lets you all do the same. I can't take more of your money. And if he insists and pays me anyway he's just going to find you kids suddenly have more things in your rooms."
    He shakes his head.
    "But what do you want, Owena? There must be something. Maybe the next volume? There's at least four more of those, isn't there?"
    [Sleeping Link Lane]

Owena quirks an eyebrow, trying to determine if Codebreaker just made a fat joke or a reference back to her uncle's habit of wearing silver armor, before shrugging it off entirely as it wasn't important either way. "...Seven total. Most of them were lost when Maesda fell, and I don't think anyone's been intrepid enough to go retrieve them." She sets the book aside and gives a little sigh. "We should continue this conversation in the basement, away from any eavesdroppers."

There'll be a shuffling sound behind Siana and Arthfael's doors as she says this. Whoops! Busted!

Owena runs her hand along the stone bar, bathing it in a blue glow that permeates the mortar and floods the room with a pale light, before the bar slides off to one side, revealing a set of stairs. Owena heads down first, holding her light overhead and motioning for Codebreaker to follow.

"Incidentally, before you get the wrong idea, my uncle's made it very clear his philosophy applies just to him. If any of us were to go out and get ourselves a little luxury, or recieve some from our gracious benefactor, I don't think he would mind."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

CB 100% made a fat joke. He thinks that being probably the largest person in a ten mile radius gives him the right to do so. Speaking of, hopefully the stairs aren't too narrow; his home being made for him has meant he's never had to worry about squeezing anywhere.
    "Your uncle is a good man. I know he would never take it out on you. But, well. I know he and me both have snapped at you when you don't really deserve it. So let me do these things for you anyway. Kids like you have enough on your plates without having to work as many jobs as me and Edgar did at your age."

18. - Top - End - #888

Sleeping Link Lane

CB 100% made a fat joke. He thinks that being probably the largest person in a ten mile radius gives him the right to do so. Speaking of, hopefully the stairs aren't too narrow; his home being made for him has meant he's never had to worry about squeezing anywhere.
    "Your uncle is a good man. I know he would never take it out on you. But, well. I know he and me both have snapped at you when you don't really deserve it. So let me do these things for you anyway. Kids like you have enough on your plates without having to work as many jobs as me and Edgar did at your age."
    [Sleeping Link Lane]

Fortunately, the stairs were built with moving furniture in mind. If Codebreaker could fit into the same space as a fridge, he should be fine.

Owena leads him down into a large room, about the same size as the rest of the house. The walls here are much rougher, plastered over crudely and unevenly. The room is broken up into three segments by a pair of load-bearing brick pillars, each about as thick around as Codebreaker himself is. There are a few appliances tucked off into one corner of the room; a dingy refrigerator and a beat-up washer/dryer set, both probably salvaged from either a yard sale or a junkyard. Near the opposite side of the room, there stands a tool cabinet, hanging open and with a few conspicuous empty spots where Kyrie's other tools would ordinarily be. Behind Codebreaker, there'll be a set of old couches which are slowly falling apart, with a stained coffee table between them. And in the last corner of the room is what can only be described as carefully-arranged clutter; Siana's obstacle course, probably.

Owena makes her way over to the fridge and cracks it open. "I wouldn't worry about that. It's about time I got a job anyway, and my siblings aren't going to work any time soon. My uncle and I won't let them. They're still only kids, and that isn't going to last forever. Coke?" She holds out the beverage to Codebreaker.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

Codebreaker immediately sits down on the couches, which probably doesn't help their longevity.
    "Well if you want a job I'd be happy to oblige. Someone has to watch the shrine. Or keep my place dusted since I sure as heck don't use all those rooms. And I'd pay better than the other guys trying to hire teenage labor."
    He chuckles.
    "Access to my library would be a bonus, though it's in the midst of a bit of a purge at the moment."

20. - Top - End - #890

Sleeping Link Lane

Codebreaker immediately sits down on the couches, which probably doesn't help their longevity.
    "Well if you want a job I'd be happy to oblige. Someone has to watch the shrine. Or keep my place dusted since I sure as heck don't use all those rooms. And I'd pay better than the other guys trying to hire teenage labor."
    He chuckles.
    "Access to my library would be a bonus, though it's in the midst of a bit of a purge at the moment."
    [Sleeping Link Lane]

Owena considers that for a moment, leaning into the fridge to retrieve something else. "...I would have to talk with my uncle about that." She says contemplatively. "And we'd have a myriad of other problems to work out; transportation, scheduling, a few other accommodations relating to my condition..." She pulls out a bottle of red liquid, which she de-caps with one of her fangs. "But, assuming we get all of that sorted, I'd say yes." She takes a swig of her drink and gives Codebreaker a small smile. "And I doubt my uncle will disapprove. He thinks rather highly of you, I gather."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

CB blinks as he realizes she offered him a drink and he was thinking about other things too much to notice.
    "Oh, sorry. I'm fine. Coke will probably kill me. Dogs and Caffeine." Whoops.
    "Someone showing up consistently will probably be good for me. My sleep schedule is incredibly messed up. And Siana can probably come too after a few months. I don't want her to think I'm that angry about before, really. But well. She did try to eat me. I still kind of want her to experience a few more moons before I can trust her that she's gotten it under control."

At the last statement he throws up his hands.
    "I still have no idea why you people all seem to trust me so much. I've been nothing but trouble to your uncle. I try to do something nice and a week later he's swimming in debt and unhappy with his shape. I mean, he could accept my offer to forget the debt and he honestly looks fine, but clearly that's not what he thinks."

22. - Top - End - #892

[Sleeping Link Lane]

Owena quirks an eyebrow. "Really? Then let me paint you a picture, mister Codebreaker." She takes a seat opposite him, smiling softly as she sets her pendant down between them, illuminating them both in a dim, but warm, glow. "The very first thing my uncle did with you was threaten you. The very first thing you did in return was let us, four perfect strangers, into your home for an improvised spa trip. That same night, two of us went ballistic and tried to kill you." She bobs her head a little as she says this. "At that point, it sounds an awful lot like we're the bad ones, yeah? Oh, but wait, it gets better; after that night, you let us off with only a demand that we pay for the damages we caused- which is completely reasonable, by the way- and a warning never to come near your house again; also reasonable. Not halfway through paying the debt back, and you're in here, unsolicited, providing for us. A job for me. My uncle's health. The debt forgiven, and further gifts for my siblings and I. And of course, talk of the ban being lifted."

"Now, mister Codebreaker, if you ever have the good fortune of dealing with someone who is that relentlessly kind and more than a little brave, won't you trust him?"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-23 at 06:31 PM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

Codebreaker doesn’t seem entirely convinced.
    ”No one needs the amount of money I have. I couldn’t live with myself taking food from your mouths in here while I swim in my million-gold pool.
    Besides, most of you only spoke to me once or twice. I could be part of some elaborate scheme to harvest your supernatural blood or something.
    Not to mention that I rib your uncle at every opportunity.”

Yeah but he deserves it, doesn’t he Codebreaker?

24. - Top - End - #894

[Sleeping Link Lane]

"You'd be wasting your time if you were." Owena replies with a shrug. "There's nothing at all supernatural about our blood. Our curse just makes us interact with it in a way most mortals otherwise wouldn't." She bobs her head side to side again. "That aside, you've still been exactly the kind of person who would be quite respected in general back home." She retrieves her book and flips to a loose page, turning it for Codebreaker to see. "This is the Maesdan code of chivalry. It's supposed to be a sort of test for what makes a good knight."

I: To thy Lord and Lady be faithful, in all things. No law shall be higher than this.
    II: In all things be earnest; let no false words fall from thy tongue nor false gifts from thy hands.
    III: In all thy dealings, pledge thy whole heart to thy actions, so that thou may stand resolute or be moved wholly.
    IV: Share freely what is thine, from thy coin to thy talent.
    V: Bear thee always the burden of gladness; for thy kin, bear it again.

"Obviously, the first tenet has limited application outside of our system of government, but it could be interpreted here as having integrity and a commitment to your values. Given that, don't you see yourself in there? My uncle certainly does, and so do I."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sleeping Link Lane]

Codebreaker shrugs.
    "Maybe if you squint hard enough. But there's nothing knightly about me, Owena. I lie all the time. I'm touched you'd say this sort of thing but I dunno. Doesn't seem like it fits with who I am. It's not like I earned anything I have. It all got handed to me."
    Of course if Owena thinks about how CB is a priest in theory the code actually applies better than she said.

26. - Top - End - #896

[Sleeping Link Lane]

"And my uncle is the dour, surly type. Nobody's expecting perfection." Owena smiles. "If your principle objection is that you lie sometimes, you're probably doing better at it than he is."

Owena takes a moment to drain her bottle before continuing. "...So tell me more about this library of yours." She says, changing the subject. "What sort of sections does it have? History? Science? Art?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

CB feels like he lies literally all of the time but he's not going to be pressing the issue.
    "Mostly it has science and mathematical texts. And a large section of fiction. The rest I have purged, notably being the selections of an edgy, cringe-worthy teenager buying whatever books sounded good at the time with his newfound money or what he thought would make him look smart sitting on his shelf."
    He shakes his head. "Just imagine Arthfael with three times the ego filling out the shelves. It wasn't pretty."

28. - Top - End - #898

[Sleeping Link Lane]

Owena giggles behind her hand. "Oh, my. Yeah, those are going to have to go." She smiles, stroking her chin thoughtfully. "That's probably going to leave a lot of empty shelf space... would it be fair to say my duties would include re-populating said shelves, or would you leave them empty for a while?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleeping Link Lane

"Well, I dare say it's really only one room and I'm in no rush to fill it up immediately. But something more interesting might be in order. As long as you don't try to only replace them with your own interests or try any pranks by putting inappropriate content on my shelves before houseguests arrive." CB chuckles. His fingers start drumming against the nearest surface. Given he's sitting on the couch and there isn't really any nearby his habit will settle for his own chest.
    "Really I just need someone to keep the place in order and sometimes check on the shrine. The neighborhood teens like to graffiti it. You're awake when they normally sneak out so you'd be perfect to give them a good scare." They seem to have gotten less active once he moved back in. But they still show up from time to time.

30. - Top - End - #900

Sleeping Link Lane

"Well, I dare say it's really only one room and I'm in no rush to fill it up immediately. But something more interesting might be in order. As long as you don't try to only replace them with your own interests or try any pranks by putting inappropriate content on my shelves before houseguests arrive." CB chuckles. His fingers start drumming against the nearest surface. Given he's sitting on the couch and there isn't really any nearby his habit will settle for his own chest.
    "Really I just need someone to keep the place in order and sometimes check on the shrine. The neighborhood teens like to graffiti it. You're awake when they normally sneak out so you'd be perfect to give them a good scare." They seem to have gotten less active once he moved back in. But they still show up from time to time.
    [Sleeping Link Lane]

"Perish the thought!" Owena laughs. "Why would I even have those kinds of books in the first place? It's not like anyone around here makes or sells them..." She stops, taking a minute to realize what she just said, before a look somewhere between fascination and unbridled horror crosses her face.

"...Moving on." She says with an awkward cough. "Yeah, I suppose I could do that. The cleaning and the scaring, I mean. Vandals don't usually want to get caught by anyone, but I suspect the idea of me catching them would be... unpalatable." She grins in a way that shows off her fangs, before making a mock-scary face that was actually kind of frightening in the dim light of her amulet. "So, yeah. I'll absolutely be maid, nightguard, and librarian."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]