New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Seaside 6: Six at the Beach

[Lost Beach]

Being able to shift back and forth makes it even better, but it also makes sense: Selekhael can shift back and forth so...yeah. Makes sense.

June doesn't try to change back just yet. If she's going to learn how to fly, she's first got to get used to the wing-muscles. And maybe her feet. And...wait, bat-wings are basically arms, aren't they? So this means she has four arms. That's pretty neat, too. Maybe if she...

No! Wait, stop getting distracted. Need to get back, have Selekhael teach her how to fly. And then leave this tutorial island or whatever it's supposed to be.

June stands back up, and after making sure she has everything, carefully leaves the building (careful because she doesn't want to lose balance and trip again. She's going to get used to this!). She's got to watch her feet more as she walks back, since they feel completely different. On the way back, she constantly moves her wings, trying to get used to them and figure out which muscles do what.
    She heads back to the tower.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

The walk back to the tower probably feels a bit strange on new feet. But by the time she reaches it, June will probably be pretty used to it. Selekhael is awake and flying overhead . "June! There you are! What happened!" She swoops down to land on the beach nearby.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #123

Lost Beach

June waves at her.

"Hey! Guess what guess what guess what!" she says.

She stands on one foot to show off her other foot, but loses balance and almost falls over.
    Oops.
    She quickly puts it back down and catches herself with a hand and by spreading her wings out and
    she catches herself.

She immediately responds, "I unlocked a secret class! race? something? So! Now you have to teach me how to fly. Please?"

Also, she should probably practice the echolocation thing, too. Seems like that would take a while to get used to, but...flying first. Flying is more important.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Coast Crawling]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Unmoving, the lady stands still in the river. She looks over at Anchor, but doesn't respond.

There are ripples in the water, like an invisible somebody walking on the water, approaching Anchor - from the lady and moving towards the edge of the river. Each step comes with the sound of dripping water. As the ripples come closer, the woman's face seems to get replaced by emptiness, as if it's missing something crucial. The fog-song becomes one of terror, growing stronger as the ripples grow closer and closer.

Then,
    Behind Anchor - between Anchor and her shadow - there's the sound of three more drips of water (it sounds like water dripping into water, even though it's dry land there).
    And then,
    A wave of force, punctuated by three ribbons of water and moving like claws (originating from where those three drips were), tries to push Anchor into the river and then drag her down.

From the shadow's position, the shadow would be able to notice that the wave of force came from outside the fog (and away from the river) and 'blew' the song away from it.
    To be honest, it's in incredibly minor detail that probably doesn't matter or change anything, or even mean anything. At the very least, it'd be useful to tell where the attack's coming from - but the dripping water seems to have been good enough for that.
    Anchor's necklace glimmers a little brighter than it should, and the ribbons of water boil away to steam, the wave of force that accompanied them scattered into ripples through the fog. Though, seeing how it happened, one ribbon at a time though very quickly, perhaps the same thing happening closer up would work, or if there was more water.

So, the blank woman doesn't understand, or doesn't care. That's not really a surprise, though it is a disappointment, an insult even.

"i̇̽̏̃́͟ ̘͔͖̗͎ͯ͊̓͊͋c̙ͪ ̷̘͉̘̒n̢͕̼ͥ̔ͦ̌͑" A ray of fire springs from Anchor's hand, towards the waters edge and twisting up towards the rippling water and then on towards the ghostly woman.

The shadow notices with interest the odd angle the attack came from, and the effect that it had on the song and fog where it passed. Is this all one manifestation, or are the lady and the water separate pieces of the puzzle? Regardless, it uncorks one of the specially prepared bottle on the table, letting out a song that had been contained therein. It's not a song that is also a fog, right now it's just sound. four angry string notes, repeated louder and louder...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"Uh, okay?" Selekhael still seems bewildered by June's talk of classes and races. "But, uh, I don't know how to fly." Selekhael, clearly you know how to fly. You were just flying. "I, uh, just do. I never needed to learn. Maybe it will be like that for you?" June won't know until she tries, if that's the case.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #126

[Coast Crawling]

Because the force was dissipated, Anchor doesn't fall into the water which means the mermaid doesn't have to swim over to pull her out. So she can continue to stay safely away (probably just like the dog Briar is doing.)

The water sizzles under the fire ray, and then the fire ray pierces the ghostly woman. It makes a hole in her.
    Then, like fog moving back in to fill a vacuum, the hole is repaired.

The shadow's sound attack actually seems to be just as - if not more - effective than the fire ray did, since the angry sound drowns out the fog, making it weaken and dissipate proportionally to the strength of the angry notes. This also seems to slightly affect the woman herself, too, making her feel slightly more real and there.

Then,
    there's a drop of water near Anchor's shadow: with the bottled song, it might be harder to hear it. But then, moments later, another wave of force comes from the sky towards the location of the drip: this time, aiming at the table to upend the table and disorganize everything there.

[Lost Beach]

June bites her lip.
    Just because you didn't need to learn doesn't mean you don't know how to do it, is what she wants to say (but fortunately her lip is bitten).

So...
    She thinks.
    "I've studied bats flying before, but how do bats usually start flying...?" she asks. Oh!
    "Oh! By falling off stuff." She looks over at the tower. If she tries falling off of that, she'd just hit the rocks. Landing on the sand would be a lot better, but the only way to safely do that is...
    "New idea! Fly me upwards then drop me."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"Really? Are you, uh, sure?" Selekhael looks skeptically at June, the emotion conveyed surprisingly well by her lion face. "All right, uh, I guess." She grabs June by the shoulders and lifts into the air. "I, uh, think I should drop you over the water. It's softer." When she reaches that point she hovers in place as best she can. "Okay, just say, uh, when."

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #128

Lost Beach

"No! Not water!" June insists. "Surface tension! Undersea rocks! Ragdoll!" she says, trying to get the biggest reasons out as quickly as possible to impress on Selekhael why that's a bad idea. Besides, she doesn't want to lose the diadem before figuring out how it works, and also with these feet and these wings, it will completely change how she can swim and she would rather have practice first, before she accidentally breaks a wing by hitting the water at the wrong angle and having the wrong muscles tense because she couldn't figure out how to control her fall and spun out.

Besides, sand is much softer than water.

As long as they're above sand, she says, "Okay, drop."

Thanks to the practice on the walk back by moving her wings and things, at the very least she manages to glide with little spurts of lift here and there.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"What? Uh, fine?" Selekhael flies over the beach and then drops June. Hopefully June can get her instincts together in time to not crash, hard. The magic of the diadem should help her with that.

Silver Sand Stretch

A beach of shining sand reaches off towards the horizon. Someone walks along barefoot in the surf. She's a fiendling, with red skin and black eyes and hair. Six horns adorn her head, two large ones on her forehead, and a smaller pair on each temple. A small ball of flame hovers between her largest horns. She has large batlike wings and a barbed tail, and she wears a white sundress with a skirt that goes down to the middle of her shins, the bottom of which is damp with the sea spray. Every once in a while, she bends down to pick something up from the water and places it in a small bag she has at her waist.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #130

[Lost Beach]

It's really fortunate that the diadem can help with that, since bats' flight is insanely complicated, to the point that they have muscles in the skin of the wings that help change the stiffness of the wings.

While June's landing is not at all graceful, it's good enough that it can't be called a crash. It was more of gliding than flying...'falling with style', but she got better the closer she got to the ground! She might be good enough now to at least practice falling from tall-enough trees now.
    "Haha! Haha! I did it!" she exclaims. "I did it! It wasn't that hard! I flew, did you see me?" She looks up at Selekhael. Did you see that! She fell and didn't crash painfully!

June decides, though, that she really needs to try to change human again before the euphoria makes her try something stupid. Give herself time to ride off this high and think straight again. June scrunches up her face, and...POOF! Change back! she orders herself. She tries to imagine the feelings of changing to this, but in reverse. Something something diadem magic, power of the moon, whatever.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

At some point, the fiendling might get the feeling that she's being watched. By who, however? No one seems to be around doing the watching, at first... until someone reveals himself and lands before her. It's a green-haired and purple-eyed boy with large angel wings and purple skin. He's currently wearing grey sweatpants, currently barechested.

He's also looking straight at her with an expression of curiosity mixed with some guardedness. She gives off a similar vibe to Mirai's wife and child, only much more, as her appearance would indicate.

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, he speaks. "Hi! Are you one of those 'good demons' I've been hearing about?" He makes air quotes as he says 'good demon', obviously finding the concept a little ridiculous. "I've seen you in GLoG sometimes, so you must be good, right?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Coast Crawling]

Stay safe, mermaid! Maybe rescue any dogs that end up in the river.

Hmm. Not clear if the woman becoming more real and present is good or bad. If the discordant fog-song is keeping her blurred and distant...is that the remains of the binding, or is it the very thing they're worried about, or something else entirely? There's no time to figure it out.
    What she does at the moment is try to draw out of the fog any color it might have. Turn whites to gray, dull the character of the music...

Anchor's table isn't as well protected as Anchor herself, so it gets upended, and her various prepared items go flying.
    The spear tips to the ground, the demon-slaying sword falls off to the side, the crystal sword falls point down and sinks a bit into the ground. The gun bounces and slides some distance away, but it's not like it goes off accidentally or anything - the safety is still on. The wooden-and-chitin mechanism has ended up right by the river, in danger of falling in. The pot with teeth has hit the ground and cracked and now skeletal fingers are reaching up out of the broken pottery shards. The bottle that's still closed is wedged under the flipped table. And the song bottle, it is tumbling through the air, pouring out music at the wrong tempo. It's supposed to sound melancholy now, but actually it's just jumbled. And the shadow is reaching out to try to catch it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

Selekhael glides down to land next to June. "I saw. You did well!"

Then June poofs back into a human. Seeing this, Selekhael folds herself back up into human form too. "Maybe we should go see if the boat is fixed yet and help out?"

Silver Sand Stretch

"Aaaaaah! Please don't hurt me!" The fiendling jumps back, raising her arms to shield herself. "Please, I haven't done anything, I can't help it!" She seems quite frightened of the angel, backing away slowly, step by step, her hands moving down towards her skirts to lift them up if she needs to run.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-02-04 at 12:52 AM.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #134

[Lost Beach]

Without wings, June tries flexing her wing muscles.
    It feels weird.

"Yeah! Probably not fixed yet," she says, "but I'll bet it might be done this evening or tomorrow morning. We made a lot of progress yesterday."

June goes back towards the fisher shack. "So any new quests pop up?" she asks so that they can have a conversation while walking.

[Coast Crawling]

The color of the fog-music was literally its biggest defining trait! With it getting removed, the fog becomes more boring and less void-like. The song becomes duller - no longer featuring either its beautiful melodicness or its terrifying screeching. And the woman seems to be more lethargic, too.

Even if she wanted to do a follow-up attack on the shadow to keep the bottled music a jumbled mess, the invisible force can't gather itself together enough to do more than cause light winds to blow around the table.

What the woman and the fog really needs to do is regroup. Instead of just disappearing suddenly (like she did appearing), she turns and starts to walk upriver to get away.
    Should Anchor follow? On the one hand, following up would prevent it from possibly attacking again...but, on the other hand, all she had to do was buy time for the ritual to be improved. Either option could be a reasonable choice.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"No, I think we've done all the ones on the island for now." Selekhael hasn't really been looking though, and some quests need to be found before they can show up on her tracker.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

It's clear that this fiendish girl is scared, but her words are of particular interest to the angel. Time to break out the old 'fear not', then! "Don't be scared! I won't hurt you if you don't give me reason to!"

Things are different here, as his caretaker/parent-figure Uriel says. For instance, the type of demon he's used to isn't flesh-and-blood, and can't procreate. Luckily, he's had conversations with Zither enough to learn that despite giving off some demonic vibes, not all 'tieflings' are evil.

"You're a tiefling, right?" He flashes her a friendly and boyish smile. He looks rather cute now, too. "You can't help the way you look, and the fact that you give off demonic vibes, so I won't smite you, ok? So don't be scared!" He raises up his hands to show that he's serious.
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Sand Stretch

"Uh..." The fiendling looks bewildered. She is no mere tiefling, but she's not about to correct this angel on the fact. Better to let him deceive himself and not smite her. "Yes. Okay." She tries not to panic. She's in mortal danger, but running away could be provocation enough. Could she skip through her Mother's realm to get away? No, too risky. And that's assuming she can open the portal faster than the angel can respond. It's very clear that she's no less terrified than before, she's just trying to hide it.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #138

[Lost Beach]

Sadly, June doesn't know how the quest tracker works so she can't theorize about the best way to use it.

"Okay! That's great, then," June says. "Not really interested in mining, so don't really see a point in going to the quarry."

They should sooner-or-later get to the fisherman's hut, and at this time of day he's probably already working on it. June'll help out with it like they did the day before.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

A day of work repairing the boat goes by. By the end, both June and Selekhael should be tired out, and the boat is nearly seaworthy again. The fisherman tells them that he can take them to the mainland tomorrow, and thanks them for all their help.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Bombmercials

Things start to get rather difficult for Blanche as things carry on, clutching onto the prop-bomb tightly. She takes a relieved breath as it comes to a stop, before pausing as she processes Azil's newest direction. "A-a few more times? I, er, dunno if I'll be up to that in just a single setting," she answers hesitantly.
    Bombmercials

"Eh, you'll be fine. Once it's warmed up it will get way less bumpy." Azil claims confidently.

Sure enough, it does seem to be going a lot smoother after her initial go at it.
    Once Azil is satisfied with their final take, Anika runs out in the water. "Woo! Good job!" She gestures at her shoulders. "Now let me carry you off here."

21. - Top - End - #141

[Lost Beach]

Yeah! No problem, it was pretty fun! is what June tells the fisherman, and that she'll see him tomorrow morning.

They move away from the fisherman's shack. June wants to practice flying a couple more times, but she'll need a little rest before doing that, she thinks.
    So, she turns to Selekhael and says, "So, last night on the island. Anything you want to do before leaving?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Silver Sand Stretch

"Uh..." The fiendling looks bewildered. She is no mere tiefling, but she's not about to correct this angel on the fact. Better to let him deceive himself and not smite her. "Yes. Okay." She tries not to panic. She's in mortal danger, but running away could be provocation enough. Could she skip through her Mother's realm to get away? No, too risky. And that's assuming she can open the portal faster than the angel can respond. It's very clear that she's no less terrified than before, she's just trying to hide it.
    [Silver Sand Stretch]

Zabb can plainly see that his words had little to no effect, which is weird. Most tieflings he'd met - few as they were - calmed down a bit after he spoke to them. They might have still been on edge, but this person's fear level hasn't even budged! There are two reasons he can think of why that's the case: either something in her past has made her very terrified of angels, or...

He gives her another once-over. This is no mere tiefling, but a demon! None of the tieflings he met, even the most demonic, had a floating fireball above their horns. He scans her to make sure, and... yep.

"You're not just a tiefling, are you? You're one of those so-called 'good demons'... but you said that you can't help it, and you didn't do anything, so... either you were lying..." He frowns at her like she's been naughty. Lying is bad, after all! "... or the Nexus did this to you, somehow." As it has done to many others, and might do to Chidi if his outing at the fae park goes according to plan.

Mwahahaha.

"Point is, you're scared for your life." He stops glowing and his skin turns olive-coloured, hoping she'd calm down if she stopped seeing the signs of an angel. He keeps his wings, because he likes his wings, and Uriel isn't here to scold him and tell him otherwise.

I, on the other hand, suggest you do it, Zabb.

"Okay, boss." He says to some invisible figure, sighs, and withdraws the wings. "What else can I do to put you at ease? Maybe I could help with what you're doing, and we can talk and be friends! I promise not to hurt you!" He places his hand on his chest, knowing mortals keep such symbols in high regard. "... unless you're a bad demon. I dislike bad demons..." He looks a little smitey for a very short time, but smiles again. "... but you don't seem bad, so you're in no danger from me. I'll catch you if you run anyway, so isn't it better for us to get to know each other?"

He scans her to make sure that she is, in fact, not evil... but he has a good feeling about her already. Still, never hurts to check. Demons are known for being deceitful, after all!
    Love is the message.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"Uh, I don't think so? I'm just eager to get home." Selekhael's friends and coworkers are probably really worried about her. She's been gone a week without explanation. "You can have the bed tonight. I'll sleep outside."

Silver Sand Stretch

"No, uh no, I didn't do anything! I didn't choose to be born like this! Please, spare me!" The fiendling tries to back away. "Okay, uh, just don't hurt me please!" The seeming wavering back and forth between "I smite demons" and "let's be friends" is even more terrifying to her. She clutches a golden pendant around her neck, as if it will protect her. "I, uh, uh, uh, was just, uh, collecting, uh, shells."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #144

[Lost Beach]

"Nah, I feel like sleeping outside, too," June says. Plus, she still doesn't want to sleep in that bed. "Weather's pretty great."

She thinks for a bit more, and then decides, "Also. I kinda want to see if I can sleep upside-down."

On the way back, she looks out for trees or things that would be able to hold her weight. "So what's your home like?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"Uh, if you're sure." June should spot plenty of large trees she could hang from. Or she could go back to the ruins, where there are even more places. Or she could hang inside the tower in the rafters. She has a lot of options.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #146

[Lost Beach]

Definitely not the tower. She wants to be able to choose how high she is, and to maybe not have a hard ground beneath her. Plus, she wants to practice flying and maybe other stuff too.

Sure, there's lots of tall trees around here, but because there's so many palm trees here on the beach, she'd have to travel farther to find the perfect one. There's trees farther inland, right? If she goes to the ruins, she could consider both the ruins and the trees there as options. More options is better, probably.
    "You're just going to be here on the beach, right?" June asks. "I'm thinking about going farther inland to sleep. Meet you in front of the tower at about sunrise, is that fine? Then we can say 'bye' to that robot before leaving."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

"Okay, uh, sure. I'll probably sleep in the tower then. Good night!" Selekhael unfolds back into lioness form and starts flying towards the tower, leaving June alone. If June wants to head into the forests, she can easily find a place to sleep. But it sounds like she might want to practice flying first.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148

[Lost Beach]

Yup! Practice falling and flying first.
    "Okay! Bye, sleep well!"

June focuses on the diadem and tries to change back again, to get used to the wing-muscles again. And then she goes back into the forest to find a decent place to practice (where she can try out at different heights, and hitting the ground wouldn't be too bad), so that she can get better at it and do it from lower heights - hey! Maybe if she gets good enough, she could do it from jumping! Or by parkour-jumping up a wall or something.

And, eventually, to find a place to fall to sleep upside-down. (And be glad that she's alone, since her top definitely wasn't designed to be worn upside-down. Huh. She'd have to figure that sort of stuff out later.)
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

[Silver Sand Stretch]

Zabb stares at her in silence, then nods. "If you're telling the truth, then okay, I'll spare you, so calm down! Here, let's hug!" He offers, before thinking better of it. "Maybe not... I don't want to hurt you... okay, take a deep breath, then!"

Moving on! Zabb looks very interested indeed, and he brightens. "Seashells? Hey, can I help? I know the best and prettiest ones, miss... what's your name?"
    Love is the message.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Lost Beach

June should be able to practice uninterrupted, then find a place to sleep. Hanging upside down is definitely something she can do, and while it might feel weird, it shouldn't be too hard for her to fall asleep.
    Unless she does something else, the night should pass uneventfully.

Silver Sand Stretch

Still clearly very afraid, the fiendling gives her nervous answer, "I'm, uh, Sekhmet." She's trying to get her breathing under control and to calm down, but the presence of a very dangerous angel is making it difficult to think about anything else. Sekhmet shrugs when the angel suggests helping. "Uh, if you want."

My Nexus characters