New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ghost in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLV

Reuma's skin bristled slightly with the way that Raeh said her species' name. Are all elves this... Creepy? Or did I just get the overly comfortable one? Reuma's ears flicked once more as she was called an animal, and a few sparks of pained sadness sputter from the empathetic horns atop her head, but the interruption of Zee gave a much appreciated, and much needed, point of relief. "O-oh! Thank you, Ma'am. Y-you are too kind, real-" The timid healer stops dead in her appreciative acceptance of the menu, one hand halfway to taking the offered menu. Now, just to add another level of strangeness to the frazzled pronghorn's thoughts, the barmaid had one of the strangest weaves yet. On the surface, it seemed like a normal, if nonmagical weave, a bit blurry and hard to make out, but not unheard of. But closer, more detailed feeling revealed that it swayed and warped in the subtlest ways, and for a moment Reuma felt her stomach do a flip, the feeling not unlike vertigo.

After a few moments of pause, Reuma manages to pull away from the feeling of that weave, and the healer snatches the menu ever too slightly too fast while giving a halfhearted and embarrassed chuckle. "REALLY. Really too kind. Ahaheh h-heh..." The healer's eyes turn to the ocean of options on the menu, and seek out anything that might be familiar. Finally, halfway down a column, she spots a few words that seem to be at least somewhat related to her own native tongue. "Oh! A bowl of Merimiespata, the sailor's stew! That would be lovely~" Reuma seemed to calm somewhat speaking the word, as if remembering things of comfort, and for a few moments she squeezes the leatherbound tome close. I wonder if it will be anything like the recipe I have written down?

Then Raeh reminded Reuma of the pronghorn's uncomfortable position. "N-no, honest! I've only ever seen the warrior wolves, the gentle rabbitkin, and humans.... Though I hear that the witches and the foxes of death also were in the lands, b-but most of those lands were beyond the safe reach of people... Are elves from the flesh forest? Or maybe the ravaged wastes? I only ever saw the burning sands and the frozen lands..." Reuma's eyes scanned the elf a little closer, than came the question of weapons. Why weapons? I'm a healer? Is this land as unkind as for even the medics to bring tools of death? The pronghorn pauses for a moment, blinking behind the mask, and debating how to answer. "I-i suppose I have used an axe, a spear, and a bow for hunting and fishing, but never upon another... I-i don't know that it would be right for me to consider them weapons... But as I remember, most were made from flint, wood, and bone, and when needed both weapon and flesh were enhanced with wyrdrune and weaving magics... Are elves crafters too? Or do you personally craft weapons?" The timid healer tries to grasp for a way that Raeh might be peaceful, but a sinking feeling in her gut seems to point towards more sinister intent.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

To one she was an afterthought. An irritant interrupting a conversation and little more.

To the other?

Well.

That was hardly a normal reaction to her.

The weave?

No, not like the magical network. This is something else completely. Is she able to sense The Game's code in some capacity? Yezekiel has literally never encountered a mortal who can before. Not that she's got a ton of experience with this stuff, just a few years so far. But the Nexus has all sorts and no one has ever reacted to her quite like this before.

Zee's meat pajamas are only meant to provide a relatable outer appearance that people can interact with without feeling uncomfortable. No one really peeled back the veil to look at her through the guts of reality before.

This poor newcomer is obviously uncomfortable. And if there's anything Zee doesn't want to inflict on anyone dealing with so much strange it's one more thing to be uncomfortable about. Maybe if she... Hmmm...

Adjust that there. Recode here. Smooth things out a bit like so.

That should do it.

A completely unremarkable presence in the weave. Nothing to see here!

Zee offers a kind smile as she takes the menu back from the pronghorn. "I'll get that stew for you right away! And sorry for rattling you. I haven't ever met someone blessed with perceptions like yours."

Then she turns and heads off toward the kitchen to get that stew going!

MEANWHILE!

"That's okay! You can practice if you like while you're settling into other roles if you feel like it. Remember, this might just be a temporary thing while you get back on your feet. Or you might decide to stick around because you enjoy it!" Zee says, offering Selekhael a hug. "Do you want me to get an apron for you? Or would you like to just take things easy for now and watch how we do things around here?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael happily accepts the hug. "I'll, uh, take the apron." Best to just jump into things without overthinking it too much... right? She should look the part, right? While Zee's getting the apron, Selekhael can watch the other waitresses. What are they doing? What will she need to do while she has this job? She intends it to be temporary, but who knows how long getting on her feet will take?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Raeh caught the display of sadness sputtering from Reuma’s horns and slowly started to understand. She mentally noted that Reuma did not like to be compared to animals but showed no signs of sympathy or regret for her words.

She did however back off a bit and stopped teasingly playing with Reuma as she listened. Her idle hands continuing to flick the dagger around on the table. Fidgeting was a bad habit of hers that could make it appear like she wasn’t fully listening when in fact she was.

Raeh suddenly paused to raise an eyebrow
    ”flesh forest?” She questioned with a half contained giggle.
    Raeh thought she might have heard of some of the creatures Reuma mentioned but the lands were not familiar. But lands often had many names. Raeh’s own world suddenly felt very small. She had been very single focused since coming here.

She suppressed memories as she continued to talk. Her voice going cold. The look in her face distant. Her eyes locked on the spinning blade going round and around. ”I am only half elf, but yes, I suppose elves have a natural affinity with creating efficient and beautiful things. It’s these lands that demand steel, the greed and depravity of the two legged animals that walk it force the simple code of survival. You must be ready to kill or be killed. Trying to avoid those two things only ends up a lot worse. So tell me, can you defend yourself? I know you think me a terror, and rightly so, but at least I am not three drunken men returning hungry from a failed hunting trip. Angry, long from home, frustrated, afraid to be seen as failures, fuelled with alcohol and then they see these.” Raeh points to Reuma’s horns with her knife. ”How would you protect yourself? What wyrdrune or weaving magics would hold off three large well armed men? This is the reality you have found yourself in.

She knew it was cruel, but in her own way it was a kindness. A brutal honest kindness. A kindness she was never given.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-05-01 at 02:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Olvisin peers between Raeh and Reuma. She has no clue what is going on here, except that Raeh still seems to be invading Reuma's personal space more than is appropriate. But she waits to see what the nervous masked person does first. No use barging in uninvited.

"I got to thinkin'. A dangerous preoccupation, that." Michalson sighs. "Rememberin' things I did before winding up 'ere, when I was younger. Most of 'em strike me as stupid now."
    The man with the leather jacket still has an eye on Raeh and Reuma, but since others in this room seem to have taken care as well he decides to do something else. It's no use sitting around and doing nothing. After all he is new to this world as well. So he heads over to the rather large goblin woman Olvisin.

"Hello." he starts. His voice does sound a bit nervouse "I saw you looking at those two as well." He points at Raeh and Reuma (They are on another table if I know eight?) "I don't wanna be rude, but do you know one of them?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Olvisin (who has since acquired a bowl of some chowder that looks mostly like mud but seems to have some appeal to goblins) looks over at the man and blinks, her ears dipping in surprise.

"Uh, no. I've never seen any of them before. That elf just looked like she was being really pushy towards the... whoever the other woman is. Why do you ask?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #337

The man looks a bit disgusted at the food but immediatly shakes it off. Some things aren't his taste and he shouldn't judge people by that. He's sure they might feel the same way with food he likes.

"It looked like you know them from my point and didn't want to interrupt them." he answers. "That elfen woman looks like trouble. Befor you entered she tried something on the barkeeper. Some kind of charm i think. I was worried about the horned woman, but right now I couldn't see anything to hostile. But with only some guesses it's hard to do soemthing." he looks at the two woman for a moment and then turns back to Olvisin.

"Oh.. ehm I am Demion. I just arrived here like an hour ago." he says and offers a hand for shaking.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

"If there's actual trouble, I assume the staff can deal with it. This place has been around a while, so it shouldn't need customers to protect it." Olvisin shrugs. She doesn't see a reason to be overly suspicious about it. "And I'm Olvisin. I've been here a while."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #339

"None seems to help out the barman when he was charmed." Demion replies. "I distraced her a bit, but maybe I wyas just a moment to early." he shrugs. None will ever tell him.

He attemps to take a seat. "If you don't mind?.." Assuming Olvisin doesn't mind he continues. "If you have been around, could you tell me something about...around? So far I think this bar is a hub, but for what?"

10. - Top - End - #340

A silver-haired purple-eyed half-succubus half-elf enters the Tavern. Her name's Carmen. (Well...just her shortened name, but that's another story.)

She's finally decided to stop couch-surfing by flirting with random people on the street and depending on others' grace and charity. Instead, she's going to the tavern to hang out by the bar and hope for others to pay for her food and drink...
    Carmen doesn't really see the similarities in these two things. Flirting with people in order to get a place for the night is totally different from hoping someone approaches you and gives you things. Completely different! The differences are so obvious. One of them, you're the one being assertive and the other one you're not. Morally different, in every way, probably.

So, she sits at the bar.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    "None seems to help out the barman when he was charmed." Demion replies. "I distraced her a bit, but maybe I wyas just a moment to early." he shrugs. None will ever tell him.

He attemps to take a seat. "If you don't mind?.." Assuming Olvisin doesn't mind he continues. "If you have been around, could you tell me something about...around? So far I think this bar is a hub, but for what?"
    "Uh, okay." Olvisin is confused about why he seems so concerned about it. "Anyway, to give you a brief rundown, you're in the Nexus, which is like a place where worlds converge. And Trog's Tavern is a very popular place in it."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Someone walks up to the half-"elf" nervously.
    "Hi. Uh, welcome to Trog's Tavern. What can I, uh, get you?"
    It's a young human woman, around 17. She's got black hair in a ponytail, and is wearing a Trog's Tavern apron over a blue dress. She seems really unsure of herself. Maybe she's new at this? Her name tag reads "Selekhael," which isn't exactly a normal name, but is at least pronounceable.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #343

Carmen looks over, sees the tag. It's not just pronounceable, but it also looks pretty normal, she thinks. Not even worth thinking more about other than wondering if the name she goes by around her friends is "Sel-El" which sounds a little weird when she thinks about it. Too many 'L's. Okay, maybe not that normal: a normal name would make sure its nickname flows a bit better.

"Oh, hi. Um..." This is not exactly going to plan. Carmen was expecting someone would immediately offer her a drink, but she supposes that was a bit optimistic. She looks at the list of drinks. "Um..." She needs something that makes her look a little sophisticated but also down to do whatever, where people might approach her but not too easily, so...hmm...this is hard.

"Um...so...how about one of those Llamonades? Are those good? Thanks, doll."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

Michalson sighs again.

"I think... I've been tryin' to forget for a while now. I don't remember the last time I spoke about them to anybody. Becoming a detective was a way to get away from them. I've told you that I come from Sigil, right? The Hive. A slum if there ever was one. Young bashers can do a lot of barmy things to try to rise above it. I became a planeswalkin' adventurer, at first. Not the stupidest thing I could have done. That came later, when I joined a revolution. That would be where my ability to suppress dazzle comes from."
    "So if forgetting hasn't worked so far, I guess forgetting probably isn't an option then." Ithuriel mutters, thoughtfully. "I think you've mentioned the revolution before. I'm guessing it's not a particularly fond memory."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael shrugs. "Uh, I don't know. I've never had one." Doll? Ugh, that makes her skin crawl. She's nobody's doll. Is waiting tables going to always be like this? She hopes not. But that can just be more reason for her to need to figure out how to live on her own.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #346

"...okay."
    Carmen bites her lip and waits a bit, for Selekhael to say something else, or leave, or whatever. She doesn't know how this bar works, so...

"Um, I don't think there's anything else, I think," Carmen says. Carmen doesn't even know if she's doing this right. What if she's not supposed to order a drink? But then she'd just be sitting here doing nothing, and that seems very unapproachable. No, she already ordered a drink so there's no point overthinking it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    "So if forgetting hasn't worked so far, I guess forgetting probably isn't an option then." Ithuriel mutters, thoughtfully. "I think you've mentioned the revolution before. I'm guessing it's not a particularly fond memory."
    "Not without enough bub to give me brain damage, anyway." Michalson puts his glass on a table. "After I left Sigil to find my fortunes, I ended up on a Prime world. That means, well... a material world, not part of another plane. I stayed there for a bit. It was a nice enough place for an adventurer. But the country I stayed in was... ran by spell-slingers. It wasn't so bad when I came there, but their grip got worse over time. Eventually... people got fed up. And somehow I felt myself swept along with them. I don't know why. It wasn't my home. Maybe it was the fresh feeling of something to believe in. Or being able to do something. Ivories know I couldn't do anything in Sigil."

18. - Top - End - #348

"Uh, okay." Olvisin is confused about why he seems so concerned about it. "Anyway, to give you a brief rundown, you're in the Nexus, which is like a place where worlds converge. And Trog's Tavern is a very popular place in it."
    The man would explain himself, but he can t read minds. He listens to the short explaination. He looks a bit confused. He thinks for a moment. He needs to ask some questions but Olvisin doesn t seem to be in the mood to talk much.
    "I see." He replies. "So it is common that new people appear here. That explains what the barmaid said. Is there somethin I need to know? Like some kind of register i have to go ?"

The man will listen to the stories he geet's told about the orgs and cities. It's obviously a big history behind all things so he doesn't push it futher.

"What about you?" He finally ask. "Have you been from somewhere else? Have you made yourself at home?"
    Last edited by Zefir; 2021-05-09 at 03:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael goes to get the drink, leaving Carmen alone for a little while with her insecurities.
    The new waitress isn't experienced enough to know if a customer does something wrong, so the half-"elf" is safe for now.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #350

Carmen, who is totally an elf and not a succubus, tries to sit there looking as casually pretty as possible.

It's not easy, mind you: beauty is in the rye of the beholder, so if she thought about it, instead of trying to look pretty she should be invasively planting into everyone else's memories the memory that they think she's pretty, so that she can harvest that thought later.

Unfortunately, she doesn't even consider that as an option.

So instead, Carmen is stuck awkwardly trying to look aloof and alluring and who-knows-what-else-she-just-looks-a-little-awkward, but give her a break! This is a first for her. Not being the aggressor is hard and exhausting work.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-05-07 at 11:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael returns a few moments later with the llamanade. "Uh, will that be, uh, all for you?" She nervously asks.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ghost in the Playground

The sudden change in the pattern of the weave through Zee was... unnerving to the healer, not because there was anything strange about the pattern, but because of the speed and accuracy of the change. When Reuma was was weaving, changes were slow, precise, and methodical; Yet Zee had just demonstrated the same level of skill near instantly. And they said it was a new sort of experience to them. While they clearly didn't mean harm, the healer made a mental note not to anger them. "Thank you s-so much, Ma'am. You really are too kind..."

On the other side, the conversation with Raeh had taken a turn from the uncomfortable to somewhere between malicious and concerned. It struck Reuma as odd that a stranger would ask if a healer could defend themselves, but it also wasn't the first time she had been asked. "Of course I can defend myself... but generally I'm already defended by those who I heal. Beyond that, I'll never feel afraid of the inebriated or those filled with momentary frustrations. The emotions they carry are not strong willed, and are therefore easy to manipulate." Reuma's head tilts a little, eyes piercing from behind the mask. "And even if they pressed beyond that, and I had no allies, I am still a Satyrlyrri. Tell me, can half-elves outrun a warband, while carrying a corpse and wounded? I have." The healer's voice, for a moment, is unexpectedly cold and cruel. It was clear that there were two sides to the meek healer, though one only showed itself sparingly.

Leaning back, and looking around the tavern once more, Reuma considered Raeh for a few moments. "These are o-odd questions, however... I feel that maybe you are trying to project onto me things that have hurt you. I'd offer to help, but I know you already would refuse. I wonder if you consider yourself beyond help, two-soul?" The pronghorn's voice is once more kind, tinged with a hint of bittersweet tone. Reuma looked back to Raeh, eyes watching her with a fair amount of respect, but also with a tinge of sadness that sparks through the magical horns. I wonder just what made you this way, Raeh?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    The man would explain himself, but he can t read minds. He listens to the short explaination. He looks a bit confused. He thinks for a moment. He needs to ask some questions but Olvisin doesn t seem to be in the mood to talk much.
    "I see." He replies. "So it is common that new people appear here. That explains what the barmaid said. Is there somethin I need to know? Like some kind of register i have to go ?"

The man will listen to the stories he geet's told about the orgs and cities. It's obviously a big history behind all things so he doesn't push it futher.

"What about you?" He finally ask. "Have you been from somewhere else? Have you made yourself at home?"
    "We come from a pretty dreary world far away," Olvisin explains. "Me, my siblings and many other goblins in MERC. I never really fit in very well at home, so I've done fine here."

24. - Top - End - #354

"So you cam here with your whole family?" Demion says with suprise in his voice.
    "That is kinda cool. I mean at least you aren't alone. Not that MERC sounds like a place for me. I'm don't wanne be a sword for hire.
    May I ask you what your plan for the day is?"

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

"Being a mercenary isn't something I aspire to, but it pays the bills for now." Olvisin shrugs. "I don't really have any particular plans. I just came to Trog's to eat something and have a drink."

26. - Top - End - #356

Carmen the probably-a-half-elf shakes her head. "No, that should be all for now. Thanks."

With just a llamanade, Carmen does her best to look sophisticated and...well, she's not entirely sure how she wants to come off.

It's hard, okay?
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-05-10 at 02:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Carmen the probably-a-half-elf shakes her head. "No, that should be all for now. Thanks."

With just a llamanade, Carmen does her best to look sophisticated and...well, she's not entirely sure how she wants to come off.

It's hard, okay?
    A small woman with cat ears and a blue cloak enters the bar, surveying it before she takes a seat. She decides she doesn't feel totally comfortable sitting with the bigger armed fellows occupying many of the tables, being as she is, and many of the other places she could sit down at are occupied, but she notices one person sitting alone and looking just a bit out of place, but more uncomfortable. Sort of flirting, also, and Valentina did feel kind of bad to...throw her off her game? Lead her on? Lead her on seemed a little harsh, since she wasn't planning to respond to it, but...

Realizing she was just standing there now, Valentina decided she would chance it, sitting a couple of seats away and stealing a few awkward glances at the elf sitting there.

"Uhhh...you don't mind, do you?"

28. - Top - End - #358

It's hard to throw someone off her game if she has no game in the first place. . . ;p

Carmen, who looks like she's probably a half-elf due to her ears and silver hair and purple eyes (half-elves have all those, right?), only really notices Valentina when she speaks up. She also has a purple ribbon in her hair, but that's not a trait exclusive to half-elves, she thinks, and is just a clothing choice.

She sets down her llamanade, and twists on her barstool. Don't mind what? she wonders at first, before connecting some dots. "Um! No, of course not! I don't mind," Carmen says. "I was just hoping someone would buy me a drink and get me drunk, but that's okay too."
    She taps on the barstool next to her, in case Valentina was looking for permission to come closer.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #359

"Not without enough bub to give me brain damage, anyway." Michalson puts his glass on a table. "After I left Sigil to find my fortunes, I ended up on a Prime world. That means, well... a material world, not part of another plane. I stayed there for a bit. It was a nice enough place for an adventurer. But the country I stayed in was... ran by spell-slingers. It wasn't so bad when I came there, but their grip got worse over time. Eventually... people got fed up. And somehow I felt myself swept along with them. I don't know why. It wasn't my home. Maybe it was the fresh feeling of something to believe in. Or being able to do something. Ivories know I couldn't do anything in Sigil."
    "If you were living there, maybe it was starting to feel like your home at that point?" Ithuriel asks, "Or maybe you're just a good person and cared about people being treated poorly? Everything I've seen suggests you're a good sort." It's perhaps a little foolishly optimistic of her to perceive things that way, but then she is an angel of redemption. She's meant to try and draw out the good in people.

Sometimes she even manages it.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    It's hard to throw someone off her game if she has no game in the first place. . . ;p

Carmen, who looks like she's probably a half-elf due to her ears and silver hair and purple eyes (half-elves have all those, right?), only really notices Valentina when she speaks up. She also has a purple ribbon in her hair, but that's not a trait exclusive to half-elves, she thinks, and is just a clothing choice.

She sets down her llamanade, and twists on her barstool. Don't mind what? she wonders at first, before connecting some dots. "Um! No, of course not! I don't mind," Carmen says. "I was just hoping someone would buy me a drink and get me drunk, but that's okay too."
    She taps on the barstool next to her, in case Valentina was looking for permission to come closer.
    Valentina moves closer to the exotic-looking half-elf, grateful she could talk a bit more quietly now. She laughs, mostly nervously, at the half-elf's response, and says "...well, I did get a bit of money from selling potions. I could buy you something.".
    Last edited by Demon Prince; 2021-05-11 at 11:21 PM.