New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLV

As Zophiel turns to go, Ophelia suddenly lunges at him, slithering across the space in the blink of an eye, arms outstretched in an attempt to grab him. Then she stops short as if grabbed by some unseen strings, and turns her weapon around and puts its tip to her heart. "Sstop! I'll do it, I sswear!" She doesn't seem to be speaking to Zophiel.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    The first plant-wolf gets patted. There's no thorns on the top of its head, so it works fine. It seems to enjoy this.
    Meanwhile, the second one that's hanging out by the door peers in. It's not entirely sure why it was supposed to come here, just that it was supposed to come here. It looks around, choosing to not enter yet.

Mr. Beefcake was not expecting the lighthearted part of the conversation to suddenly turn into a serious conversation, so he needs to actually put some thought into answering.
    How does he decide what's worth it? is a very good question that he has honestly never considered before. What made him decide to tear off his scales and turn humanlike? What made him decide to join a cult dedicated to conflict and upsetting the order of things?
    "I considered the things that I wanted,"
    he says. "After that, I considered how much I wanted them and what value I would get from it. The ones that were worth it were the ones that my desires and the value together exceeded the downsides and effort." That's about it. Nothing really remarkable, but it's how he decided to do those things.
    "Do you mean some of the things you want aren't valuable?" How odd to want them then, but perhaps those are the most meaningful to want?
    The gal waves to the second plant-wolf with a wing, and sends to it that it should come over to her and sit down by the bar. Just like she did earlier.
    Huh. Is it getting harder to tell what the first one is thinking? Or is that just plants being plants?
    How were you made, little walking plant? Do you know?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Zophiel looks back.
    She really doesn't seem well.
    His eye turns pitch-black and he looks at her, trying to find magical or spiritual ailments or possessions or anything.
    Without a lot of preparation and looking up what to do, he's pretty sure there's nothing he'll be able to do immediately. But he needs to know how to solve this sort of thing, too.

Then, he finishes leaving the tavern.

The entire group of the plant-wolves haven't found out whether the 'mind reading' problem was just a flaw unique to the first one, or if that's something that all of them have to solve. So they haven't passed along the info on how to resist it. Besides, the first one also actually needs to figure out if the first wolf's solution is actually effective or not. So, the second one doesn't even have the limited resistance that the first one has.

The guy thinks. "Yes, that does mean that," he says. "But I suppose different people also have their own judge of what they consider valuable."

The second plant-wolf just comes over, wagging its tail(?). (branch?)
    It sits next to her and looks up at her. (If plants can 'look', anyway. Doesn't even have eyes.) It can't really distinguish the gal's thought-speak from its own thoughts, so it just starts remembering how it was made. Planted, started growing, then that woman was there - the one with the mask with her and the ears and the flowers too. And then the plant-wolf started doing things because she wanted them done.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-02-09 at 10:05 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

When Zophiel leaves, Ophelia seems to calm down. She shies away from everyone, orders yet another beer, and sits nursing her growing headache.

She is definitely possessed by some unwholesome entity, Zophiel can see that.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #95

"Yes, but most people are wrong about what's valuable." The gal says, shaking her head sadly.

"Hey, did you look really different in the past?" she asks the man. "I used to myself. Didn't have any wings or horns or anything."
    The second plant-wolf deserves to be patted too!
    What did she want done?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #96

"Being wrong and after a lot of hard work discovering that you were wrong is one of the two ways to learn something," the guy says, shrugging. "So I don't think it's such a problem to be wrong sometimes."

"Yes," he then says. "I did. Used to have wings and horns, myself."

The second plant-wolf likes getting patted. Maybe. It's still unsure whether or not it likes it. Probably likes it.
    To be honest, it doesn't really know. It just obeys her, because she says it. It starts transmitting the question back along the conversation pathway. Eventually, it realizes that there's a lot of things she wants, like wanting people to struggle and work hard and have conflict, but right now she wants to see how effective it is against Zee.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #97

"If you're wrong, you didn't learn the other way, though. And why would you stop having wings?"

"Besides, you shouldn't fight Zee, because it..." The devil-girl pauses to think about exactly why not, and realizes.
    Zee may not be a proper part of the physical universe. But the empyrean still exists.
    "Oh, no, you totally should."
    She continues idly patting the plant wolf the whole time. It's reported good information about its creator's intentions, but what does it mean about what they should do? Hasn't figured it out yet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #98

"The other way is someone else being wrong," the guy says. "Sometimes, just being wrong yourself is faster than waiting for someone else to do it first."

The guy, of course, already knows that he's right in fighting Zee. Yeah.
    He takes a drink.

The plant-wolf looks up at the devil-girl. 'looks'. It's unsure what she wants, so it starts trying to figure that out.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #99

"Is it? There's so many wrong folks out there." That has been very obvious even in the devil-girl's short time in the city.
    But maybe you would have to find the ones who were wrong in the way you needed. It's not like the wrong people all communicate with each other. If they did, they'd probably get less wrong. Surely.
    "Then can I help?"
    She looks back to the plant wolf.
    Oh, you plants should come be part of our family. There's a certain place they should go, several streets away, into an empty building past a ruined fountain, and through a secret passage - she shows the wolf the way. Or, do you know anything about love, plant? It doesn't sound like it. Strife and struggle are great, of course, but they have a purpose!
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-02-19 at 12:03 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #100

There are a lot of wrong people, but this guy thinks that's okay.

"If you want to help, then of course you can, whichever way you wish," the buff man says. He looks around again, and doesn't see Zee. "But I don't think she is here."

The first plantwolf still lies there.
    The second plantwolf gets up and immediately starts following the directions. (It's fine, the first one is still around to listen to the rest of the instructions and pass them along, even though it is a little harder to communicate with the first.)

The plant-wolf obviously doesn't know what love is. However, it has, through its recent development, learned how to distinguish its own thoughts from the woman's. The woman's don't have the right marker tag appended to it. It looks at the woman, passes along the directions she gave, as well as the encryption marker tag and how to interpret it, and also the question the woman asked about love - except this one is passed without the encryption tag, and instead just a chemical smell marker to represent that woman.

Eventually, it gets back a response, and it tried to communicate back to the woman by repetitively thinking (without the encryption, just with the floral scent that represents her accompanied with it) Love is a tool to promote variety and to bind the weak together with the strong, so that the strong don't stagnate in their growth, and to protect the weak so that they can also become strong.
    The plant hasn't figured out how to tell if the message has been received or not.

The buff leather-jacket-wearing-guy sets down his drink.
    "Losing my wings was a necessary sacrifice for more magical power," he says.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #101

It is not okay. They need to stop being wrong.

"Well, she has to show up eventually, right?"
    The devil-girl thinks a 'thank you' to the plant-wolf, and includes the impression of her floral scent. That is an excellent explanation for love. Wherever the plant wolf got it, they really are thinking clearly!

"Oh, I understand. Sometimes you have to do that. But still, what a sacrifice!"
    "So how does your magical power work now?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #102

Thinking 'being wrong is not okay' is, of course, wrong.
    But it's okay.
    He thinks it's okay to be wrong, so obviously it's okay to think it's not okay to be wrong.

"I suppose you're right," he says. He leans against the bar. "She'll get here eventually. I should have done more research to see when she's around here."

The plant-wolf stops thinking the response. Good! Now all it needs to do is be pet more, so it rubs its head against the buff guy (scratching his clothes, a little, with its branches) until he decides to scratch the plant's head.

"Well, now I can physically interact with curses and manipulate them," he says. "And since I previously studied ritual curses, you can probably see how many circumstances this is useful in."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #103

Thinking "thinking 'being wrong is not okay' is wrong" is, of course, wrong.
    But correcting the man on this point isn't very important to her right now. I doubt she even realizes that he thinks it.

"Oh, you could do all sorts of things, as long as you had grown the right ritual?"
    That might be more useful than flying. Not as fun, of course. But that doesn't really matter.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #104

But, being wrong about thinking that being wrong is wrong is not wrong and is, in fact, okay.

"Yes, exactly," the beefcake says. "With the right preparation and planning, I can be ready for whatever I need."
    "Not to mention, people are cursing others all the time - with their thoughts and their feelings - which gives many opportunities to twist those. Flight is a thing that can only affect myself, but this is something that I can use to affect others."

That's something he believes is very important.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #105

"Thoughts and feelings aren't real curses, are they?" No matter how many thoughts you have, you have to put them out into the world first, right?
    She tries to think of something to curse, but...she can't come up with a single one!
    "How does that work? Show me, will you please?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106

"Not all thoughts and feelings are, obviously," the guy says, saying something that isn't necessarily obvious.
    "But, for example..."

He turns around in his chair and looks around the rest of the room, like he's looking for someone. "Imagine...if your best friend slept with your wife. You didn't want to lose either of them, though, so you just kept quiet about it and bottled up about it. Too scared to confront them. But you hated them so much, you wished something would happen. Like..." He points to two guys who are drinking together. "...him. Always hating and cursing and wishing for the worst, but keeping it hidden so that nobody would notice."

The buff guy leans forward, and reaches towards the cloud of negative thoughts that is coming off that man and seems to be directed at the other. "All someone would have to do is tweak it like this, and..."

The other guy's chair suddenly breaks under him. His drink spills on him, the broken wood cuts into his leg.

"Like that."
    He turns back to the girl with him. "Of course, that really isn't very impressive, if you ask me, because that's about the limit of what I can do with just thoughts and feelings." Then, he shrugs. "Could do more with a city filled with hatred, or a weapon that was used in a long-lasting family feud, or a multigenerational curse, or other things like that. The more tangible a curse is, the more I can do with it."
    It's hard to explain.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #107

"Um, I don't have a wife though. Nor a best friend. So it..." The devil-girl starts to protest. It's not so easy to imagine the situation, is what she's saying.
    So she quiets and watches the scene.
    "That was so subtle. It really seemed like it just happened."
    "Um."

Something about this doesn't seem right.
    She hops up from her barstool and approaches those two guys drinking together, and addresses the one who didn't fall and get cut.
    "You. What's your problem with him?"
    With a flick of her tail she indicates the guy on the ground.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #108

She should get a wife and a best friend, then, so that she can imagine these types of situations better. Clearly, that's the takeaway from this example.

The beefcake remains seated.

"What are you talking about? I didn't break his chair!" the one guy says, assuming that's what she is implying with her question. "He'd my...look! I wouldn't do something like that!"

The beefcake, back at the bar, spins his finger, pointed upwards, in a spiral.

"Even though...he..."
    He swings a punch at the fallen guy, hitting him square in the jaw. And directed at the other guy, he says an insult inappropriate for the delicate ears of anyone listening in.
    The fallen guy holds up his hands forward in an 'I surrender position'. "Th-that was five years ago! I'm sorry! I didn't know you still felt that way!"

Seems they're good enough friends that the latter guy can tell what the former guy was talking about without even finishing the sentence.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #109

The thing is, she doesn't know where to get them. Any suggestions, narrator?

The girl covers her ears with her upper wings. Why say such an awful thing?!
    Then she takes some steps back towards the beefy guy. It seems these two know what their conflict is, and it's out in the open between them now.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #110

. . .
    The narrator doesn't know, either.
    Go find a lonely PC? Then they'll imprint, probably. That's probably how it works.

The two guys seem to have further discussions, but it doesn't get as heated or as physical as it was right at that moment when the beefcake interfered. It is pretty great that, after all these years, they're finally actually talking plainly to each other. Hopefully this leads to them coming to terms with it.

"So," the beefy guy says.
    "That's the limit of what I can do with just thoughts and feelings." Best way to describe something is to show it, he feels. A picture is a thousand words, but an example is a thousand pictures.

He drinks.
    "Some other people of my kind go out hunting, collecting, creating, or gathering stronger curses."
    "Not me. I just live life to my fullest and do what I want." And, what he wants is probably to fight an eldritch barmaid or something like that.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #111

To think, he could have punched his friend at any moment and gotten this closure. But instead, he waited so long.

"That was really interesting. Since the feeling was all between the two of them, thee was almost nothing to link you to it."
    There's so much going on! To think that one's own feelings could allow something like that to happen. It's exactly what the angel warned her about, but here in person, with a clear demonstration.

"I think they have the idea. You're got to always be trying to be better, yeah?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #112

The buff guy, who happens to have a white foxmask hanging off his belt, drinks more.
    "Only reason I could do that was because of how long and how festering those feelings were," he says, clarifying. "If it had been out in the open or if he had been honest with himself, then I couldn't have done anything with it."

And...
    His drink is gone now.
    "Some people think that. Always got to get better." Such as the plantwolf or its creator. "I feel like just getting better just to get better is...well, a little pointless. Need a reason, and if you can do everything you want, you're better off doing what you want."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #113

The devil-girl, her drink is still mostly full. Been ignoring it.

"But like anything could happen in the future. You have to be better to be ready for it all."
    "Plus, I can't even do the first thing I'm supposed to do. And after that, there's probably a hundred more things I need to get better just to do!"

Now she does take a sip of her drink.

"Do you not want very many things?" Or is he just very much 'got better' already?

"Oh, do you want to fight? Like, it could be a run-up to the battle with Zee."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-01 at 12:01 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Someone nervously walks into the bar. She's a human girl, about 17. Brown hair, slim build, glasses. She's wearing a long blue dress decorated with spiral patterns. She nervously looks around. She's supposed to find someone, but there's a problem. She has no idea who she's looking for. All she knows is the initial Z. Supposedly, that person can help her.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #115

"I already have got pretty much everything I wanted," the buff guy says. "Long life, and now there's only one more thing I want left."

Which is to fight Zee, evidentally.

"Really, just interested in fighting her. That's it." Fighting someone else beforehand will weaken him, which will not be good.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #116

Well, the devil-girl isn't going to insist on fighting someone who doesn't want to be fought.
    "Understandable. But maybe you could want more things."
    She swivels her bar stool away from him as a way of ending the conversation, and - look at that! She's seen that face around the village of failed experiments, hasn't she? But this is clearly someone different, and she doesn't feel like a demon at all! It's actually a little eerie.

Kiun waves a wing at the nervous human girl.
    "Hi there! You look like Sekhmet!"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-04 at 02:23 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

The human girl starts. Who is this demon? "Uh, yeah, that's me. Uh, do I know you?" That's probably an odd thing for the marquess to hear, because Sekhmet is currently connected to the Hive and fully demonic, whereas this girl is definitely neither of those things.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #118

The demon gets a confused expression. It's a very sympathetic looks. Really exposes the bafflement in her heart.
    There's someone who might know about this, so of course the marquess reaches out to her. Hey, Sekhmet? I met another Sekhmet, but she's all human. Is it you in an illusion-disguise?
    "Well, if you're Sekhmet then you know me! I'm Kiun, you're my prime, we met at GLOG." she tries to remind the human (spelling out each letter in Good League of Good as she says it).
    She flutters a wing in the direction of the bar.
    "Have a seat?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Huh? Does she know who you are?" Sekhmet is not in any sort of disguise. She's at work right now.
    "Uh, I live at GLoG, but I don't know you. What do you mean by Prime?" Sekhmet asks. She's confused. Now that she looks more closely at Kiun, she sees that the demon looks a bit like she used to. That's weird.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #120

No, she seems really confused. Kiun feels bad for the other Sekhmet, really.

"Oh, it means you're the original of our flight or strain. That my essence is based on yours."
    "My apologies, I forgot this was all new to you."

There is still a clear resemblance between the two of them, but there are several layers of differences.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-04 at 04:26 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine