New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLV

Jack also arrives. She's a young lady, maybe about twenty or so, apparently human. She's got short black hair and grey eyes, with skin tanned by the weather. She's wearing a pair of sturdy khaki cargo trousers and a red chequered shirt, which combined with her build make her appear quite androgynous. The most unusual and inhuman feature are her wings, two black-feathered appendages growing from her back, with an eye in the central joint. Slung over her shoulder is a leather satchel with a stylised corvid- possibly a crow, or maybe a jackdaw- branded into the cover. She'll walk over to the table and also takes a seat.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Wren arrives! He's dressed in his customary purple vest and wearing a dagger at his hip, however there is one notable change to his appearance - instead of his usual shoulder-length hair, tied back, the dark elf's white hair has been cut short. Incredibly short, actually, save for the top where it's just long enough for him to run a self-conscious hand through ruefully, as he approaches the bar, looking around as if trying to detect anyone who might recognize him.

Did it have to be this short?
    Do you not like it?
    It looks *great*... on you.
    Don't be an idiot. It looks fine on you, too. And you can adjust the disguise spell to make your hair longer whenever you want.

Wren sighs, shaking his head, and wanders over to the job board, as if looking for something to distract himself from worrying over the unfortunate (and involuntary) haircut.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2021-03-09 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

The old drow at the table gives a wave. "Over here if you're looking for work." He croaks. "We've been having some trouble. Want it dealt with externally." His hooded red eyes narrow at Wren, trying to see if he recognizes him from somewhere. The dark elf looks like some upstart noble to him, but he doesn't see any open house affiliations.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well, you can crash here if you like. We have plenty of rooms at Trog's," Zee says. "That is, after all, what inns are for."

She casts a quick glance toward the job board.

"Aside from being places to pick up quests, I guess."

Then?

She makes a pointed effort to keep Selekhael's attention off of OTHER Selekhael.

"I guess that depends on what you WANT to do. If you want to pursue mundane craft I'm sure there are other smithies around the Nexus that wouldn't mind your help. If you want to be a little more adventurous, you could embrace the quest log and begin searching for people to help. That's sort of what I do. I just stick around here at Trog's and help people who need me. That and I keep an eye out for any hostile outsiders that might be looking to cause trouble. Like the Saint over at Marlick Bay."

They're good and exploded now.

All is well.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

"Uh, okay, I guess." Selekhael shivers. "I don't know. I don't know." She wants Prumathe. He knows how to make her feel better. But now he's with someone else. The thought makes her blood run cold.

Meanwhile, Selekhael pulls out a chair and takes a seat across from the drow. "Uh, tell me about it." She smooths out her skirts and prepares to listen.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

"Yeah, I'm up for a job. I'm mostly a sneaky type, I guess. Got some tricks anyway." Jack sits down and smiles, resting a hand on her satchel. Her voice is also quite androgynous, so it won't help anyone struggling to figure out her gender.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    The old drow at the table gives a wave. "Over here if you're looking for work." He croaks. "We've been having some trouble. Want it dealt with externally." His hooded red eyes narrow at Wren, trying to see if he recognizes him from somewhere. The dark elf looks like some upstart noble to him, but he doesn't see any open house affiliations.
    Indeed, the dark elf isn't wearing any form of emblem or crest that might indicate house allegiance, though something about his general demeanor and blue-grey skin might trigger some flash of recognition for those familiar with a certain house.

Wren, for his part, flashes the old drow a mildly impudent grin, grabbing a tankard of ale from a passing server's tray and flipping him a silver in the same motion, and giving the server a final friendly wink before he turns and kicks out a chair to seat himself with a flourish.
    "If you insist. I love solving other peoples problems."

...are you trying to kill us? The haircut isn't *that* bad, come on...
    Hush, Cassandra.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Work]

The old drow looks over the potential candidates and gives a sort of half shrug "I suppose you all will do." He takes an extra moment to stare back at the eyes on Jack's wings. Those were a little weird.

"I'm employed by some folks in Delmah Phor. You know, the drow enclave? Anyway, some folks were moving goods through the Underdark, trying to bring it here. And welp, it ain't showed up. Lots of things coulda gone wrong. We expected them weeks ago. Probably all dead by now. But if you could get the cargo? There'd be something in it for ya. More if you can find out why they didn't show up. Bad luck? Monsters? Rival traders?" He shrugs again, rolling his large shoulders. "They can pay in coin, or goods, or maybe even favors if the asking isn't too high. I can negotiate a little, but really, don't expect too much from them. This isn't a glamorous job. Hells, they probably don't want to waste good drow on it." He sucks his teeth, revealing an oversized canine. "Prolly why they sent me."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael listens. It sounds simple enough and lines up with what's listed in her quest tracker, so she doesn't have a problem. "Uh, I'm in."

Jack's wing eyes should notice that the ordinary human girl isn't what she appears to be. She's an otherworldly entity, not unlike the one Jack's wings come from, part lioness, part tawny eagle, part ring, and part coral reef, all folded up through space and time into human shape. She seems unaware that her true nature is detected.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    The front door swings open and a cool breeze blows in, along with a rough looking drow. He's rather large for a drow, actually, but the pointed ears , red eyes, and black skin was unmistakable. He was older, walking with a slight limp. His short hair was a dirty yellow. He peers around the room, taking measure of the occupants. He spots the noticeboard on one wall and walks up to it. Borrowing a few pins, he puts up a parchment advertising the need for investigators and adventurers to search for a missing caravan.

That done he takes a seat nearby and waits, ordering a cheap drink for a few pennies, to bide him over.
    Unlike all these people arriving, Tao was already here, lounging in a booth. He wanted to finish his drink before checking out the new notice.
    He finally strolls over to consult it. Adventurers? Simple missing caravan job? That could do. Just give him a moment to grab his this from the bench and head over to the drow.
    Tao looks pretty much like a scrawny human man, except he has a pair of antlers and a metallic sheen to his skin, hair, etc. He's wearing a red jacket with plenty of pockets, pants with at lest a dozen pockets, a white leather backpack with many more bulging pockets, and a pointy steel headdress that holds back his messy hair (but doesn't have any pockets).

Oh hey, Jack is here. Good to see her (or him?) again.
    "I could help find a missing caravan. How far were they coming?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "Deal with?" Arukhael replies, a little puzzled. "Well, I mean, we're people? Some of us are jerks and some of us aren't, just like any other people. I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking."
    How do you normally deal with people?
    Talk to them?
    Ignore them?
    Feed them into biomass shredders?
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Selekhael is hugged! She seems a little calmer, but still is crying. "But, uh, where do I go? I can't go home, uh, they're there. I can't go to work, uh, she has my job. What do I do?" She sobs and leans closer to Zee. Hugs are good.
    "Well, you all are playing this game, and we're not. For us it is serious." Kiun tries to explain.
    And you can't really shred an empyrean properly since they don't really have biomass, you know?

To Selekhael, she suggests "You don't really need that stuff, do you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

"That sounds interesting. I've never been to the underdark before, but the caves I've visited have all been very interesting." She got her wings in one!

Also, Jack doesn't have a shadow. She's sat in the chair, which has a shadow, but she doesn't have one.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Wren lounges in his chair, shrugging nonchalantly as he hears the job description.
    "If you've got good coin, I've got good steel. And I know my way around the Underdark."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

The old drow looks up at Tao. "Far, I suppose? They were coming from Menzoberranzan. Not in the Nexus, itself. Roads are a bit shifty sometimes, but we got a good route. We figure they were closer to the Nexus than home. Got word they passed through a weigh station about a month ago. It was their last leg."

He peers at Jack. Something wasn't right about her. "Interesting? Oh it's more than interesting. He can tell you that." He nods to Wren. "Downright dangerous."

"Coins good." He agrees. "Maybe not as much as you might expect, but the deal is solid."
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2021-03-12 at 12:58 AM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course I need that! I need money and food and clothes and friends and a place to live just like anyone else!" She glares at Kiun. Just because she's not really human doesn't mean she's not a person!

Meanwhile Selekhael tries not to be confused by the talk of Menzo-barrens and Underdarks. They're just place names, right? Underdark is some sort of cave with roads in it? "How much coin, uh, exactly?" That's an important question that should be answered. Although it doesn't much matter to Selekhael. She needs all the coin she can get, and completing a quest will net her other rewards anyway.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

The hug continues!

"It's okay not to know. You've gotten your life turned upside down. You don't know what's going to happen next or where you're going. But you should know that you've got friends here who are williang and able to help you along the way," Zee says.

She's being supportive!

"When I went through what you did it was a mess. Everything I thought I understood got trashed. I had to figure out where to go when my life as I knew it ended. And I had to do it on my own. I wish I hadn't. But I don't think you're going to have to. You've got people right here to provide support."

The future is yours, Selekhael.

Suuuure your boyfriend hooked up with your temporal echo.

But hey, life throws you curveballs sometimes.

Meanwhile!

"Oh, alright, I think I understand what you're asking now,"
    Arukhael replies with a nod. "If you're dealing with a hostile empyrean it's going to depend wildly on what spheres they're aligned with. The bag of tricks I've got access to versus what Selekhael can do versus any random aspirant ranker are going to be pretty different. Your best bet is to try to get some information on them ahead of time before trying to tangle with them. Though, uh, if you want some more general tactics you would probably want to talk with a Watcher. They're servants of the church who's job is keeping the population safe from adversaries."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael sniffs and hugs a little tighter. "Just, uh, let me stay here a while longer." She's not sure what to do or think or anything. She just wants a shoulder to cry on.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #167

Ah, Menzoberranzan! That's-
    Well he can't quite remember, but he's probably heard that name before.
    "Over halfway here? Alright, you've got my help."

"You're still thinking like a human, but-"
    Kiun glances to Zee. "Actually, do you all need to eat?"

Then she gets back to nodding quickly at Arukhael.
    "The main ways we relate to people don't really apply, and I think the same is true from the perspective of most empyreans?"
    "We'll look into these Watchers, though, thank you."

~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Wren simply nods. Sounds like they have all the details that they need to proceed!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Jack's also happy to get going, once Selekhael's question is answered. Money doesn't mean that much to her; she literally found a pirate's hoard on her first adventure, and her lifestyle has little in the way of expenses.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Three hundred gold to each of you." The old drow says. "More if you can get the cargo back here safely. Mm... here, before you go." He pulls a bone scroll case from inside his cloak. "Maps of the likely route they took. I want those back, by the way. They aren't easy to get." Mapping the Underdark was a dangerous proposition. More so the shifting ways between a material plane and the Nexus.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael nods appreciatively. "Sounds good. Where and when do we, uh, start?" 300 gold pieces... That's a lot! At least it is where she comes from. She could use that money to get an actual place to live! Not some cabin, that would show her double, but a real house!

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

The tavern doors burst open suddenly proceeded by a violent gust of wind. In the fluttering debris and settling sand two piercing pale blue orbs scan the tavern from behind long locks of silky dark hair. Spotting the gathering crew, luscious red lips curl up into a satisfied smile.
    Raeh steps in, her pale complexion in no way signalling her health as she moves with an unbridled confidence and excited energy. Her young form adorned with stylised tight dark leathers, proving to be both functional and stylish, giving her a slightly dangerous and menacing look.
    With a purposeful stride she makes her way with haste to the table. Ignoring all but the old drow, Raeh leans over the table and gives him a teasing smile as she snatches the bone scroll case from him.

Pulling the scrolls out she shifts her weight to sit on the table, her back now to the drow as she examines the maps.

And what if someone or something doesn’t want to part with their newly acquired caravan goods?” she asked far too jovially for it to not be rhetorical. Seemingly excited about the prospect of conflict. Finished with the maps she flings them on the table before finally noting the others around her.

Alright, well lets go!”

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

"Uh, who in the world are you?" Selekhael asks the newcomer, clearly disapproving of her attitude. She carefully, neatly rolls the maps back up, puts them into the case, and sets it back on the table gently. "Now. We are, uh, going to do this carefully, and we are not going to, uh, get ourselves killed."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #174

Hey, that's a nice amount, Tao thinks. If all goes well, he could afford to take some time off and really recover after this job.
    "Let's have a look at the map, first of all. If we-"
    He looks over to the doors slamming open, lightning crackling through his antlers and gathering in his right hand. Dramatic tavern entrances have a tendency to be followed by fights.

But no, it turns out it's just a cute lady who wants in on the caravan job. Wow, how can someone be so upbeat? So...like that? He waves the sparks away harmlessly.
    Smoothing out the maps so everyone can get a good look, he jokingly answers "Then they should have paid for them."

"Actually, we haven't had any introductions, have we?" If they're going to be searching for a caravan who-knows-where for who-knows-how-long, they'll need at least a little talking. "I'm Tao."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-17 at 10:39 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Raeh’s brilliant pale blue eyes roll in her head as she audibly sighs aloud, expressing her disinterest.
    Suddenly finding her black painted fingernails need more attention than anyone else, she focuses on them as she speaks her reply.
    No we’re not doing names, I don’t need to know ‘em and really don’t care.” she said flatly. At the same time becoming satisfied with her fingernails. With a content smile Raeh props herself further back on the table to be sitting closer to the middle. “Besides even if I could remember them all” she adds as she falls back with a dramatic flair to lay sprawled out across the wooden surface that holds all the recently spread out maps,
    It’s easier that way when you all go and get yourselves killed.” her voice took on a cold dark playful chill, still talking to Tao she turned her attention towards Selekhael and caught her eyes. A taunting smile challenging the young girl.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-03-17 at 01:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

"I care! And we're not going to die. It'll be a fun little jaunt. I'm Jack, pleased to meet you all. And you again, I think." That's at Tao, who she has met once.

The jackdaw-girl smiles, and isn't at all intimidated or put down by Raeh's abrasive manner, nor her declaration that she'll survive and the others won't.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

The old drow harumphs when the map case is snatched way from him. When the newcomer turns her back, he's tempted to plant a dagger in it, just at the show of disrespect. Instead he sighs. Females. They always want to run things, don't they? Raeh wasn't drow, but she could sure act like one well enough.

"Try not to kill each other before the job's done. Not that I'll be paying you more if only one of you comes back."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Selekhael just glares at Reah, the kind of expression that says, "I've seen much worse than you. Don't cross me." There's a very distinct sense that there's more to her than meets the eye. "I'm Selekhael." She says to Tao, "Nice to meet you." She pointedly ignores the rude lady. If she wants to be an antisocial prick, she can. But see if Selekhael helps her out of any tight spots she gets into. And if she betrays them... Best not to think about that.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #179

This time, someone is arriving after all.

The door creaks open and the new arrival stands hesitantly on the threshold, glancing around the room with eagle eyes before finally entering.
    The arrival is a rather tall young woman with feathers for hair, wearing a blue dress that she seems uncomfortable with and a metal pendant with a fox icon on it.
    She makes her way to the bar and gets out her own cup and pours herself a glass of water from a little jug she carried at her side.
    And then she sips at her drink, wondering to herself why she thought coming here would be a good idea.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-19 at 04:02 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

The feathered lady doesn't even get much more than a glance from the man in the seat next to her. He's just starting on his second beer, and looks like there's a lot on his mind. Occasionally, he pulls a smartphone out of his pocket, looks at it for a while, sighs, then takes another drink. He's pretty normal-looking, just a regular guy with brown hair in shorts and a t-shirt.

My Nexus characters