New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Transcripts of Radio Comms During Combat?

For a writing project, I’ve been looking for transcripts of actual radio exchanges during combat operations, but my google-fu is failing me. Ideally I’d like to find transcripts of small-unit engagements, just to get a sense of the language and pacing involved.

I’d prefer the exchanges to be as current as possible, since I know military lingo changes quickly. But so far I haven’t been able to come up with much. Any suggestions on how I could find something like this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Transcripts of Radio Comms During Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    For a writing project, I’ve been looking for transcripts of actual radio exchanges during combat operations, but my google-fu is failing me. Ideally I’d like to find transcripts of small-unit engagements, just to get a sense of the language and pacing involved.

I’d prefer the exchanges to be as current as possible, since I know military lingo changes quickly. But so far I haven’t been able to come up with much. Any suggestions on how I could find something like this?
    Keep in mind I am in no way an authority on this, but I imagine that such things would be classified. At least, anything resembling recent ones.

But hey, I could be very, very wrong.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Are these even recorded in the first place?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Keep in mind I am in no way an authority on this, but I imagine that such things would be classified. At least, anything resembling recent ones.
    Not a transcript, but there's a low res video of chatter between an A10 crew providing CAS to an American unit engaged with hostiles in Afghanistan (Tab Valley, 2008): link.
    Note that the guy on the ground talking to the A10 is a JTAC, so their chatter is different than between a bunch of 03XXs.

The radio chatter at the start and end of the Generation Kill TV series, while fictional, is spoken by serving military personnel and is as authentic as possible without being real life. Unfortunately, the couple of video examples I've found break the board rules on profanity and I think linking to whole transcripts of episodes is also a bit of a grey area.

Edit: Found some links that might help in general: Short form on military radio etiquette, Long form on radio operations.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2020-12-19 at 09:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Are these even recorded in the first place?
    Yeah, I thought of that after I posted but figured someone else could fill that in. If I was in charge they would be. The logistical and technological problems would surely be made up for with the potential strategic and informational advantages.

Though at least one reason why I'm not in charge is, again, I'm in no way an authority on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Unfortunately, the couple of video examples I've found break the board rules on profanity
    Profanity? In a military setting? I may need to get my fainting couch!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted but figured someone else could fill that in. If I was in charge they would be. The logistical and technological problems would surely be made up for with the potential strategic and informational advantages.

Though at least one reason why I'm not in charge is, again, I'm in no way an authority on this.

Aircraft and Naval ships will have most internal and external comms recorded, infintry to HQ is likely recorded but between squad is unlikely.

The easiest to find would be from court cases for example the transcript of American A10s firing on a British tank column can be found quite easily.
    Other than that it's quite difficult to find sources for example there's a famous quote from the Korean war of "things are getting a little bit sticky here." meaning the position is fighting off the enemy with baked bean tins but I can't find the exact battle or name which does make me think it might be anecdotal.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

While looking for that CAS video, I did find some helmet cam combat footage with as much profanity as you'd expect.

In any case, this was the CAS video I remembered - the JTAC is (understandably) a lot less calm in this one as they're under much heavier fire: link.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Other than that it's quite difficult to find sources for example there's a famous quote from the Korean war of "things are getting a little bit sticky here." meaning the position is fighting off the enemy with baked bean tins but I can't find the exact battle or name which does make me think it might be anecdotal.
    It was the Battle of the Imjin River, 1951, during the Korean War.

In response to a UN offensive, the Chinese had launched a counter attack along the Imjin River during the night. After a day of fierce fighting, the Gloucestershire Regiment had fallen back to defensive positions on Hill 235, to prevent the PLA from turning the flank and causing the entire UN defensive line to crumble. This left the remaining ~650 men of the Glosters with low ammunition versus something in the region of 10,000 PLA troops.

The American officer in charge, Major General Robert H. Soule, asked the British brigadier, Thomas Brodie, for a situation report and Brodie had replied "A bit sticky, things are pretty sticky here down there." Translated into American terms, the message should have been "Situation Urgent. Send reinforcements immediately.", but Soule thought the British situation wasn't urgent and told them to hold the hill.

After another day of fighting, the commander of the Glosters gave the order for everybody to make for the British lines as best they could. Only 40 made it back to safety, with the rest either captured or KIA.

The 'baked bean cans' incident was during this final stretch where a British soldier was throwing cans and bottles at the Chinese soldiers since he was completely out of ammunition. The Chinese thought they were grenades and held back as they were suspicious.

There's a reason why their nickname is 'the Glorious Glosters'.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2020-12-19 at 06:59 PM.