New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: TAG. The Adventurers Guild. IC

Ooh! I know how to play cards! Daisy says. But I'd prefer to not wager too much-just playing for fun is fine with me.

And I understand you're curious, Miss Smith, but I am a person first,
    she comments about being "studied". That said... I'd be happy to answer any questions about my kind. I know we're not the most common sight of... well, anywhere, really, but you'd be surprised where Agave pop up.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"Fair enough, as I don't have a single copper piece on me myself." Lanius replied with another swift smile.
    "Anyone else? Stories and games are usually the only thing that make long travels bearable."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"I'm afraid I haven't played much in the way of cards, but If you know any games you'd be willing to teach I'd certainly be willing to learn. And I certainly wouldn't be averse to hearing some war stories myself." The smile drops from his face, replaced by a contemplative frown. "Should I go talk to the young thief? I certainly don't want her stealing any more, but... I'm not sure how much good it would do."
    I can see it from the outside.
    And I know you're on the inside... lookin' out.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 24/24
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"We're quite an old family. Old enough that our name is Smith because that's what we were. And still are." Aelia replies to Lanius in a kind of lecturer giving a history lesson manner. Then she shrugs, "So to be more accurate. It happened a long time ago and still is." and gives a small amused smile.

"My father doesn't believe in gambling. He had a cousin go down a bad path that way. But I'm willing to learn a friendly game to pass the time. I too have very little coin. Just three silver." she adds.

"My apologies Miss Daisy, I got a bit excited. I would love to ask you some questions." Aelia says, not quite self-aware enough to add the comment "probably too many questions".

"I think it would be a good idea to try Elphas. I think of any of us, you would have the most luck. I think she has the wrong impression of me and wouldn't be very receptive if I were to try. Or rather, I already tried I suppose. And we saw how little she paid me any mind." Aelia says to Elphas, finishing with a bit of a frown.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meanwhile, away from Greenville...

Spoiler: IC
    Show
    Lenna Tanglírë
    Wood Elf Warlock
    AC: 13 HP: 20/21
    PP: 12 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Narrator
    The arrow struck the giant weasel true and sunk deep into its fur before it could attack. Blood trickled from the wound and it staggered, the voice in your head instructed you how to finish it off.
    Lenna stood there for a moment, a second arrow in hand, ensuring the giant weasel wouldn't move. She had not meant to kill the creature, but as she slowly approached its body and examined the wound, she realized she did not know how to save it either. The wound was way too deep. Whomever it was that wanted to show her how it is done had really gone all in. She pulled off one of her daggers and finished the animal off, ending its suffering.

Now out of danger, she went back to the dead deer carcass. Dagger in hand, she knelt and sliced and packed as much meat as she could. Then she doubled back to the weasel once again, pulled the arrow off its body, and placed a piece of moose meat in front of it, as a gesture of respect.

She was ready to leave when she heard the ethereal voice calling her again: "Lenna...", this time, the voice seemed to be coming from the well.
    She knelt next to the water, and her reflection slowly started to blur and shift, first into the image of her father, and then her father's mother, and then other elves with familiar faces she didn't quite fully recognize, and then everything else became blurred, and then dark.

"Grandma? What is this? Who... Who's there?" Lenna slowly opened her eyes, the reflection of the sun light on the water surface invading her senses with a calm and warm feeling. Everything was quiet at first, but slowly the rustle of the trees and the sound of the water gradually came to her. She stood up feeling that something had changed, she felt in control.

"Could this really be my family reaching to me? Or something else, using them to trick me? This magic feels powerful, but it also feels tainted... and yet, more than anything, it feels good... " Lenna snapped her finger, and she could hear the roar of the beast again. This time it didn't startle her, but she heard the sounds of scared vermin running away in the woods. "If I am to understand who saved me and what it wants from me, I must first understand more about magic, more about these spells.".

The morning sun shone mildly in the sky, but Lenna felt a pull in her heart telling her to go in the opposite direction, away from the sun. And so she did, setting out in her journey.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf captain was in shock when he was handed his necklace, gratitude swept over his face along with a deep worry, it clearly held some sentimental value. He thanked Lanius deeply, grabbing the elf’s shoulder to do so. He began inspecting the clasp when he was suddenly distracted by a noise down the street.

One of the light guards sitting on the carriage gave Lanius a nod acknowledging his offer but holding the seat for now. There were two light guards floating around the carriages that were dressed slightly different to the others. Their equipment looked of better quality, they themselves seemed more experienced and traveled.

From down the street, the way you all came, a sudden commotion erupts as the light guards on duty start shouting loudly.
    They try in vain to enforce their authority through sheer loudness alone, as if the volume of their commands will make all the difference.
    Clearly early talking had no effect, and even now as their voices break under the sheer strain of their continued shouts, two lone figures ignore their calls and continue to walk down the street toward you unhindered.
    Carrying no lights, the two were but silhouettes in the light of the guards behind them.
    On the left was a tall and imposing figure, most likely taller than any man you had ever met so far, standing at about 8 feet in height, it was obvious why the guards used only words. The other figure was pitiful in comparison, maybe 5ft tall, rounder and walked with a swagger while waving an arm in the air. In that hand was something, but at this distance it couldn’t be seen.

Every one around you stopped what they were doing and just watched with anticipation.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-12-29 at 10:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius stopped lobbying for a game of cards and turned around to take a closer look at Big and Small.

"Does anyone of you know, who that is?"

Subconsciously, his hands had gone for the dagger in his sleeve.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"Whoever they are, they're rather brave to outright ignore the light guards," Elphas says, a note of admiration slipping through his voice despite his best efforts. "Or rather foolish. By the looks of it, they're coming to join us."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

Aelia gives a shrug in response to Lanius' question and then tries a wave in greeting and, "Hello there!"

10. - Top - End - #40

Daisy waits, curious. If they're coming to join us, they're probably confident in their abilities to deal with the darkness. And besides-those guards are mean, she says.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Slowly the figures take form and features can be seen as your lights shine on them.
    Spoiler: Figures take form
    Show

”Bok!” the dwarf captain suddenly shouts in alarm, recognising the tall intimidating muscular bald man with tattoo lines covering his greyish skin.
    All the other guards were standing back or had occupied themselves elsewhere, leaving the captain to address this on his own. Meanwhile the three light guards still followed sheepishly from behind at a safe distance.

”s, sorry captain. This one hasn’t got any papers.” one of the light guards managed to mutter.
    The captain replies furiously with both alarm and frustration.
    ”Nevermind that! Bok, you still have two days left in the stocks! What are you doing out!?”
    The dwarfs face was red with anger at this defiance. The tall one called Bok merely shrugged. It was then the shorter and much hairier man spoke. His words were slurred and the stench of alcohol and vomit was permeating strongly from him.
    Ti’sh orr ok.” he managed to roll the words out as he sway about, struggling to keep his eyes a focused. “Tis ok. Dis is mah noo fr’nd. ‘E ‘nna come too.

The drunkard mutters some more nonsensical things, possibly in another language.
    DC 10 perception to notice the paper in his hand is his paper of passage. (At disadvantage unless you walk close to him.)

Everyone else just looks around at each other, unsure what to do and looking for someone’s lead. Even the dwarf seemed momentarily lost for words or actions, this could be due to the situation being above him or that he was simply frozen by rage.

The giant of a man just stood there and gave a toothy grin but still said nothing.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Elphas is the first to recover from the momentary group surprise, and he strides forward to greet the newcomers. As he does so, he notices the papers in the furry man's hand. He calls out to the captain: "This man has his papers in order. And I'm sure that whatever Bok did to land himself in the stocks, he'll have ample opportunity to make it up to us on the journey to Greenville. After all, Xelenos teaches us that all deserve a chance to correct their missteps." He then smiles kindly at the furry man and attempts to gently take his arm. "Come, friend, we should get you sitting down. You've had a bit too much, I think."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius was far less sure about that, but backed his new squad mate up nonetheless: "At the very least you'll have them out of the city and no longer as your problem."

14. - Top - End - #44

Daisy's a little taken aback at their sudden appearance, but shrugs to herself. "It's a pleasure to meet you both! I admire your ferocious looks-I've never been good at looking intimidating myself. More talky than scary."

She takes two of her seeds, muttering the incantations needed, and offers each of the newcomers a daisy. "Here-something to brighten your day a little!"

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

The odd duo accepted their gifts from daisy.
    The beardless dwarf thought on those words but didn’t reply straight away. He watched the tall man intently.
    The drunk, who announced himself as Corey, was overly thankful for your assistance, and decided to celebrate, with another bottle of booze that he had stashed in his small bag. He kindly offered it around to his new friends before crawling up (after a failed attempt or two) into the green carriage where Eisha sat. The drunk was not aware of her sour expressions and started a one sided conversation anyway. He seemed excited about adventures.

The man called Bok still did not speak but seemed interested by Daisy. He watched her while he awaited the final verdict. Still never speaking but holding gently her flower.

Meanwhile a thin halfelf with soft features, bright green eyes and long platinum blonde hair that lay braided reaching down her back to her legs, called everyone’s attention with a soft word that magically carried far. She wore an expensive red cloak and the clothing beneath was pristine. Simple yet exquisite jewellery adorned her neck and fingers.

”Time to get moving.” she said flatly with an unreadable smile. Her every mannerism and movement sought to draw you in but her kindness was conflicted by the disdain that she did not hide from her eyes.
    ”Pick a carriage, Adreal will be here soon and then we are leaving.”

After the brief pause to hear her words, commotion picked up again as guards, both light and city, quickly finished preparing the horses and carriages.

Spoiler: blue carriage
    Show

driver? lookout?

1. Old man 2.meditating
    3. 4.
    5. 6.
    (7) (8)

Spoiler: green carriage
    Show

driver? lookout?

Eisha Light guard
    Corey Daisy.
    Elphas. Lanius.
    (7) (Aelia)
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-12-30 at 08:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Daisy heads for the green one. She likes the color green.

"Lanius, you still want to play a few rounds of cards?" she asks as she walks for it.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

Aelia follows Daisy to the green cart, since she'd agreed to the game of cards and wanted to ask Daisy about Agave as they traveled.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Still attempting to assist Corey (and subtly trying to keep him from drinking any more), Elphas will climb into the green carriage. Upon seeing Eisha was already seated, he decided to try striking up a conversation. "Oh, hello there. Eisha, wasn't it?" "Really, Corey, maybe you should get some rest." "I don't think we got a chance to talk..."
    Last edited by The Outsider; 2020-12-29 at 10:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius smiled at Daisy - it was incredibly easy to smile with that little sunshine around - and nodded: "Sure, that's why I asked." With long strides, he made his way to the green carriage to join his new team mates. He waved to the guard captain Dorgan before entering the cart.
    Pulling out the deck, he inspected it before starting a game. "Sorry, only got those very recently and haven't had a chance yet to take a closer look."
    Again he used the small bit of magic, to remove the grime from the cards - and incidentally some not so innocent marks the previous owner had put on the backsides.

"We used to play Dragon Poker while we waited for mission. Hurry up and wait. My old squad mate Diomedea Exulans told me the rules as did her previous veteran squad mate - and I see it as my sacred duty to continue this fine tradition.
    Anyone know what moon phase we have today and in which house the wandering star stands this month?"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-12-30 at 09:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

Aelia looks briefly up at the sky and does some quite mental calculation and answers, "Waxing gibbous and the House of the Pained Wagon." Then there's a pause and a raised eyebrow, clearly a suggestion of suspicion about what this game is going to be like.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

"Excellent, so that means that Unicorns are flying high and goblins are worth 2/3rds of a crown..."
    What followed was a thorough and very complicated explanation of cards and their values - while Lanius also explained that those values were bound to the current star positions.
    "... yeah, it's called Dragon Poker, because you need to be a dragon to keep all those rules straight in your head. Games are fast, but it usually takes a while to figure out who has won."

22. - Top - End - #52

Daisy nods. "I don't think I've played this particular game before-but hey, learn something new!" she says as she finds a good spot in the carriage to sit.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+3)[10] Int Check, to see how well Daisy gets the new game. Will edit more into the post after this roll.

As she plays, Daisy has a lot of questions, and makes not an insignificant amount of mistakes. After the third round, she sets the cards down, eyes closed and breathing deeply. "Okay... This game is frustrating me. You said that the eights are... What again? And then... Just... Gah, my brain's too full!" she says, trying to inject a bit of humour. "I'll sit out the next round and just observe, alright? I was never that good at arbitrary rules."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-12-30 at 01:50 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius smiled again: "Dragon Poker was meant to get recruits to lose their first pay as fast and efficiently as possible. At least that is what I suspect. You are in luck, that we decided not to play for money. My first time playing, I was saved by the fact that I had made a friend early enough to get warned off. Only ever risk what you are willing to lose, eh - no matter the pressure."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Eisha replies to Elphas over the drunk and interrupting Corey. ”Yes it is.” she says with a smile just before Corey’s face gets in the way. ”and I’m afraid we still won’t get to talk for a while.” with that her eyes narrowed into a death stare at the drunk which went totally unnoticed by the target as he ignorantly broke out into a song.
    The seated light guard tried to ignore it as he looked over the card game.

———-

The guard captain had finally come to a decision, after mulling it over for some time.
    ”Bok! I hear by command you to complete your sentence by escorting this convoy to Greenville.”

Through the open carriage door you could see Bok check in on Corey, he wanted to join his carriage but it was obvious it would be too cramped. After some quick calculations he went off to the blue carriage, to the dismay of a few others that climbed in behind him.

Once everyone was settled in a carriage, just as impatience began to set in upon the nervous, Adreal finally arrives. A bright light emanating from his hand lead the way. The tall handsome man used his other arm to support and half carry the bandit that nearly all had seen the guards beating up.

He is coming with us, help him into a carriage.” Adreal politely ordered with a voice that gently commanded respect and attention. The bandit only muttered soft praise and thanks, his face mostly concealed by his hood still bore the marks of emotional tears. He followed Bok into the blue carriage.

Adreal never took a carriage, instead mounting the remaining horse and leading the way.

The dwarven captain shouted some commands, with a loud groaning creaking the large wooden gate doors slowly swung open. The slow building momentum of the carriages came to a complete halt. The nervous gasps of many men outside your carriage could be heard as they all happened in unison. What followed next was the clink of weapons being drawn and the whoosh of new fires being lit.

HALT” someone shouted

Large open gates.
    Spoiler: marching order
    Show

Adreal on horseback

Spoiler: blue carriage
    Show

driver LG

1. Old man 2.meditating
    LG. warrior.
    Halfelf. Bok.
    (bandit) (8)

Spoiler: green carriage
    Show

driver LG

Eisha Light guard
    Corey Daisy.
    Elphas. Lanius.
    (7) (Aelia)
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-12-30 at 09:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius face had turned to stone when he saw the bandit brought to join the caravan.
    "That is going to be trouble." He couldn't help but look at the backpack he had liberated from one of the man's friends' corpses.
    "Actions have consequences", he muttered to himself.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

Aelia raises at eyebrow at Lanius's muttering but then pulls herself part of the way out around the back of the wagon to see what's going on.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"No, really, Corey, you should try and get some rest, it's best if-" As the caravans halt and the shout rings out, he stops. "That sounds like trouble." He joins Aelia in attempting to see what the issue is.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

CHAOS
    Shadows & fire

There beyond the gates, just at the edge of torchlight, darker patches of shadows writhed and moved.
    They seemed to wait hungrily just at the lights edge, just out of the range of clear vision.

I ain’t ever seen dis many together.” one of the town light guards said, squinting out into the darkness with his torch held high. His partner on the other side of the gate replied.
    Ent no problem, shadows are still just shadows ‘n’ can’t handle the radiance of Sune.” With that he muttered a little prayer to the goddess of love and beauty while walking out through the gates holding up his lantern.
    The shadows seemed to almost hiss and back away a little further at this. Their forms melding and separating as they passed one other. Existing as densities of rolling darkness with no form to tell off, but not reaching higher than 7ft.
    While still uttering prayers he took out a small mirrored plate from his lantern as he began to ask Sune for sanctuary from these creatures.
    Suddenly a deep terrifying howl came from the otherwise deathly silent shadows, interrupting his spell. It was quickly followed by another and another. Each one triggering the the next from across the expanse of light. The shadows answering the calls, creating a terrifying cacophony.

DC 13 will save (with advantage) Or be panicked.

The Lightguard of Sune never finished his spell as his faith and confidence wavered under all the noise. The darkness pushed back against his light and the shadows started to take some form.

In near unison, something low, like a dog, darted across the clearing and tripped the man as it did. No sooner had the light guard fallen another low shadow fluttered last him snatching the lantern from his hand.
    Now that it was holding the light, you could distinguish the powerful jaw, chest and front legs of pitch black mastiff seemingly made from shadow. It took the light and ran off. The man let out a terrified scream as more of these smaller shadows charged forth and seemed to overwhelm him by latching on.

Spoiler: Figures in the dark
    Show

Due to their shadowy and incorporeal nature, the movement of lights and shadows, and all the commotion,
    DC 15 perception to differentiate the four creatures.
    (Darkvision lowers the dc to 10.)

despite pictures all are black and shadowy

Just one standing at the back watching
    many, clustered groups Several spread out lots running about

The shadows start looming towards the gates, in your peripheral you are sure some have already slipped past. The Light guards that didn’t flee are quickly muttering spells as new bright lights suddenly appear. The guards not cowering in panic are lighting torch after torch. One on the gate was coherent enough to follow his training, lighting and releasing a small flood of defensive burning oil. It splashed down heavily outside the gate. It caught a brave glowing light guard who had stepped forward to defend the entrance, he now screamed while covered in fire. The oil seperate the oncoming shadows. Over half backed away from the giant flames, others that were already past the line entered through the gate. They couldn’t hide from the all the light and engaged in battle.

A fierce fight is happening at the gate. Adreal still on horseback is a mighty sight to see as he cuts down shadows with mighty blows from his holy mace. Town guards fight desperately for their lives against these dark creatures, working in trained unison while light guards swoop in and out of battle with both physical and magical support. There is little room for you in that battle with these trained warriors, however there are still disasters left unattended.

1. Eisha leapt over everyone in the carriage and rushed out, the panic clear on her white face. She got five steps before a dog took her down. It stands over her growling hungrily.

2. A taller almost humanoid shadow figure could be noticed only by the small faint glow of what was once burning oil on his back, could be seen entering a house where their lantern had gone out.

3. A wayward torch was flung and landed under one of the blue carriages wheels. Flames licked up the wood threatening to soon climb it.

4. Bok roared as his large body was brought down by the many lumps of shadow stuff, stuck on to him like giant leeches.

5. A small group of small shadows took off in the direction of a dark alleyway where they could probably hide and disappear.

6. A female warrior stood over the bandit protecting him from increasingly overwhelming odds.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-01-01 at 12:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

"Gond dangit! Eisha, get back here! It's not safe to split up!" Aelia calls out... and then moves in an odd direction if her aim is to help the girl. Instead of chasing after Eisha, she rushes over to get to torch out from under the other cart. But once she has it in hand she whips around and seems to grab some of the flame and hurl it at the dog-shadow looming over the little thief.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action to go to the blue cart. Object interaction to grab the torch. Action to cast Fire Bolt.

Fire Bolt: (1d20+6)[22]
    damage: (1d10)[3]
    if crit: (1d10)[9]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius' dark thoughts weren't quite finished when the catastrophe happened. For a moment, he felt paralysed, unable to move while he relived some of the horrors of the war again. 'On your feet soldier' He suddenly remembered the mantra, that had been hammered into his mind again and again 'your squad mates rely on you'. That broke the spell. Still shaking, Lanius got up. It felt as if he was moving through molasses, every movement a fight against an invisible current threatening to ripp him off his feet.
    Discipline. That's why you train. That's why you do things again and again until you don't have to think about them and can leave your body to take care.
    So first things first. Get a light. Save your mates.
    Aelia had taken care of the torch under the cart, so he drew a torch from his backpack and gave it a little magic to ignite the oiled wick. With large steps, he moved towards the fallen Bok, waving the torch around to dislodge the leaching shadows. "ON YOUR FEET. SHOW THOSE BASTARDS WHAT YOU ARE MADE OFF!"
    The first words had sounded faintly strangled, but the war cry, so often shouted so often heard, came nearly automatically over his lips.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Object interaction: Pull out torch
    Action: Prestidigitation to light torch
    Move: Towards Bok to get the shadows to back off