New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: TAG. The Adventurers Guild. IC

"Careful. What we don't know can kill us.
    Someone has to climb the barrier. Say, you are a bard - you wouldn't happen to have some curative skills that you could apply on me? I probably can scale the wall, but in my weakened state, I might be of no use should even the least bit go wrong on the other side."

Lanius said with a grim face - both from the pain and a latent anger that threatened to boil over. He wasn't exactly sure who he was angry at. But it didn't help that she had spoken in such a way to someone who he now considered his sibling in arms.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Isah sighed audibly with irritation, her green emerald orbs sharing in the disdain and rolling in her head before turning to land on Lanius. There was a pause as she chose her words, or more likely, chose what not to say.
    ”Do I look like a healer?” she asked incredulously. ”If you are... of no use... then there is nothing I can do about that, we will simply leave the task for someone else who is more... useful.“

While she never used the word it was heard clearly by all with ears ‘useless.’

Before the matter was done she raised her voice and addressed all.
    “Let me remind you that until you have a badge none of you are members of the guild, and just getting there on our resources will not automatically qualify you. Now that that is settled, I do not wish to be addressed again until we have a way in.”

With her final words Isah turned on the spot and took Gaider’s arm and the two vanished into the carriage where Corey still lay.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lenna Tanglírë
    Wood Elf Warlock
    AC: 13 HP: 15/21 HD: 0/1d8
    PP: 12 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Quiver: 22 arrows
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"Did a shadowling bite her or...?" Lenna mutters to Lanius with a smirk as Isah leaves to the carriage.
    "So you are not all part of the Adventurer's Guild, and she is... is that right? Are you like... new recruits or something of that sort?"
    "She sure acts like a big deal, imposing all the work on us, doesn't she?"

Lenna turns towards the barricade again, and brings a finger to her mouth, thinking of what they are going to do.
    "Could we dig our way inside the house like these animals or would that be too silly? What if those are tunnels?"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius fumed, forgetting for a moment his weariness and pain. Looking at the barricade he said: "Let's burn the blockade. Maybe we can drive off or at least draw out whatever is still hiding around here. I'm not risking my neck for the likes of her."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 24/24
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11

Aelia looks at Lanius quizzically when he suggests burning down the barricade. It's surely not there for no reason and lighting the whole thing on fire could easily wind up getting out of hand. When she realizes nobody else is speaking up she says, "I'll just try climbing it first, before you resort to that kind of thing." As an afterthought she adds, "Can someone give me a boost?"

Spoiler
    Show

Asking someone to use the Help action to give me advantage on the check.

Athletics: (1d20+2)[12]
    advantage: (1d20+2)[3]

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure, I'll give you a lift. Just be careful on the other side."
    Lanius replied, moving into position with his back to the wall, lacing his fingers together to provide a stirup.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Climbing the stone fence, the first thing Aelia notices is the scene on the nearby roof which is now at her level. Covered in dry blood, there appears to be a broken chair, a fallen lantern, a sack or two, a forgotten long bow and the tattered remains of clothing that got in between some shadowcats and their meal.

The courtyard shows further evidence of an old battle. However no bodies remain. Blood stains the upturned sand and it’s littered with the odd remains from weapons and armour.
    There are a few rope ladders bundled on or hanging off each roof top. You see no signs of movement or trouble. It’s eerily silent.
    The wooden staircase that leads to the second level has also been crudely blocked off.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-03-12 at 03:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 24/24

Aelia frowns at the unpleasant, though hardly unexpected, scene for a moment before securing a rope ladder and tossing the other end to the others so they can climb up more easily. "It seems there's another entrance up here. It's blocked too, but I think it'd be easier for us to get through than the barricade down there." she calls down to the others.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Tired, Lanius began to climb up the rope ladder. His side hurt and burned. With a grimace he managed to haul himself on top of the wall.
    "Seems like we could try to clear the smaller building and get some rest. Gods, I'm tired. Alright, onward then."
    Carefully, he let himself down the other side, to get closer to the small building on the left.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

In the middle of the grounds anyone looking will see the source of the light. A large stylised piece of timber that once hung welcomingly over the entrance.

The building to the immediate left (beneath the blue x) turns out to be obvious barns, although they haven’t seen a horse in some time. They are straw lined, have pitons in the wall to hang things and hold a horizontally separated wooden double door. (One of those where you can open just the top.)
    Inside the second one four large iron boxes sit across 2 sleds. Also to be found is a miners pick.
    The first barn door hid 2 small hunting traps on a wall that clearly used to hold more.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Intrigued, Lanius drew his weapon and carefully began inspecting the inside of the barn - especially the boxes on the sleds.

Spoiler
    Show

Thives' Tools check if necessary

(1d20)[12]+8

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Intrigued, Lanius drew his weapon and carefully began inspecting the inside of the barn - especially the boxes on the sleds.

Spoiler
    Show

Thives' Tools check if necessary

[roll0]+8

You find iron, lots of bars of iron. One of the chests holds an assortment of what you guess to be smithing tools and equipment but it’s mostly a heavy shipment of iron. There is a bit of other unrefined ores scattered over the tops of the bars, one of note a glittering, silvery-black ore.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-03-14 at 01:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

"Seems like they hadiron and silver ore ready for transport. I imagine we can hole up in here for the night. There's enough material to board up the place and with Aelia's repair trick, there should also be no trouble in getting everything to work."

Lanius reported, his face clearly showing that he had no desire to expore the rest of the holding right now.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

In no time the thud of feet hitting the sand could be heard behind you as Eisha, Corey and Bok all followed.
    It was Eisha who scouted the main tavern area, passing through the broken door. Bok was close behind her with Corey preferring to head back and inform Isah.

A few minutes later and with some tedious team work, the essential supplies were over the wall along with the injured and everyone else.

Eisha, Isah and Gaider volunteered for first watch so everyone else could rest. Isah was constantly looking in the the direction from which you came, waiting for the others to catch up.
    Daisy, the driver and the old man offered to take second watch. All wanting to be as helpful as possible. That would see you through to daylight.

The tavern is in a state much like the courtyard, in desperate need of cleaning and repair. Clues and evidence of people camping, fighting and dying are present all around.
    But your sleep goes in hindered. You get a full rest.

Level up and wake up to the morning sun.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Lanius had expected to have trouble finding sleep. But as soon as his head had hit the pillow of straw, he was out like a light. Waking up was still painful, but at least he felt refreshed enough to get up and take a look at his injuries. The cuts still hurt, but at least the bleeding had stopped. As long as he kept from moving to quickly, it didn't even hurt too much. After taking a drink from his water skin to get the foul taste out of his mouth, he got up to explore the place a bit that they had spent the night at. He looked especially for a better bow and maybe a shield and armor to replace the tattered leathers he was wearing now.
    On his way, he greeted those of his companions that had awoken as well, inviting them to come along.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lenna Tanglírë
    Wood Elf Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 24/24 HD: 2/2d8

Since their arrival at the farmhouse, Lenna kept to herself, especially after being scolded by Isah.
    Lenna followed Lanius around a bit, quietly, and when most of them went to sleep she looked for a spot in a corner of the old tavern. She finally found one that didn't seem to have any signs of dried blood, broken pieces of glass, or rotten rests of food. She placed her pack against the wall, doffed her battered leather armor, and sat against her pack.

"Finally... this night is over, at last..." she thought before entering into a trance.

[...]

Lenna opened her eyes and found herself alone in a grassy field under the moonlight. The grass was tall, higher than her knee line, and wet with dew. Her hands and her fingers started moving without her consent, her hands centered in front of her navel, meeting one another just by the tips of her thumb and index fingers, forming a triangle.
    Her lips moved and quietly let out the words "varnë mordo", and a spectral light in the shape of a triangle appeared in the space between her hands. The light grew until it was large enough to surround her whole body, and then it faded.
    She closed her eyes, but she could still see everything around her. She opened and closed them once more, and again, but the moonlit grassy field was always there.

[...]

The sun shone on Lenna's face and she opened her eyes feeling tired, but extremely glad to see a new dawn.
    She stood up and started donning her armor again, but noticed it felt strangely uncomfortable, which made her finally begin to understand her dream.
    Last edited by oaken; 2021-03-17 at 12:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 28/28

Due to the previous day's physical and emotional toll, Aelia woke up late. For her. Which just means at dawn when the sounds of other people beginning to move around woke her.

She recalled that there were some ores to look at. But more importantly she woke up with the inspiration and ability to perform a new magical smithing technique. First she began infusing her armor with magic, enhancing its protective qualities. Then she called Lenna over, "Can I borrow you bow for a moment? I believe I can, at least for a time, solve your ammunition problem. Though I think it would still be a good idea to collect what arrows you can. I think in the future I might have more pressing needs for this new technique I've discovered."

Spoiler
    Show

Infusing my armor with Enhanced Defense and Lenna's bow with Repeating Shot.

Also, with Elphas dead I've got another Magical Tinkering opened up. Does one of the NPCs want a leather strip light source?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

"Looks like we are down one horse and only halfway to our destination. I don't think we can affort to stay around here a minute longer, if we want to reach some place defensible before sundown."
    Lanius said as he went closer to Aelia and Lenna. "And despite who we have lost, we are still too heavy with all our gear to make good time." The bitterness in his voice was quite clear.
    "Which means we'll have to take turns walking beside the cart if worst comes to worst."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lenna Tanglírë
    Wood Elf Warlock

Lenna was putting away her leather armor parts in her pack when Aelia approached her to talk about the bow.
    Initially, she feels a little awkward about it. This bow came to her in a way that still remains to be explained, and now Aelia wants to tinker with it... finally, she realizes there's probably no reason not to, more so, maybe Aelia could help her understand more about the weapon's origins.

"I'm curious to know how you are going to solve it, but you are right, I will take some time to see if I can find arrows or more quivers around the area. It looks like battles were fought here, I'm bound to find something don't you think?"

When Aelia takes the bow, Lenna observes what she does, and asks: "it is an intriguing weapon, don't you think?"

To Lanius, she responds: "I agree with you, better travel during the day and find shelter before nightfall."
    Last edited by oaken; 2021-03-20 at 01:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Lenna and Aelia copped an evil scowl from Isah.
    We are but half the numbers and less our better half might I add.” She interjects into their conversation. “We do not move on without the others. There may have been a delay with their repairs or perhaps they were forced to wait till light to travel. Either way we will most likely be spending the day and night here.

Her voice had become louder and she looked around to address all.

Search everything and ensure our safety for tonight, we settle in. Try understand what happened here, there is an usual amount of magic in the air.”
    ((DC 10 perception to see Daisy nod in agreement.))

“I leave this to you as I will take the horse and meet our leader on the road.”

——————————————
    Places to explore

Windmill
    Barn
    Old house
    Paddock
    Hill / higher ground
    This area. - still many rooms unchecked

Assign people to an area as most look to you lot for guidance or give them another job.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

"One of these days..." Lanius murmured. But then, this wasn't by far his first stupid Lieutenant that he had had the missfortune to deal with.
    "Sure, let's stay at the place that has proved to be indefensible by it's former occupants." He sighed and turned to the Lenna and Aelia:
    "No offence to our other companions, but I think I'd like to have you two at my side. I suggest we start with the main building and work our way from one building to the next."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[1]+7 Perception
    Completely missing Daisy's action
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-20 at 12:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

"I will join you in a bit, after I finish here." Aelia replies to Lanius.

When she was done with it, her armor didn't seem much changed in fact. The differences in the quality would be hard to discern with the naked eye, but one subtle difference is that it seemed to gleam slightly with reflected light...even in shadow.

The enhancements she made to the bow were a bit more noticeable. The wood and the metal and even the string of the bow took on a more golden color an solid line of deep teal to match Lenna's cloak on the inside arches. However the most noticeable feature was when she gave the bow back to Lenna and asked her to attempt to fire it without nocking an arrow. When she did, it conjured an "arrow" that was basically an oversized needle of metal that gleamed teal and gold in the light that vanished a few moments after hitting (or missing) her target.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lenna Tanglírë
    Wood Elf Warlock

Lenna nods at Lanius, then watches as Aelia works on the bow.
    When she is done, Lenna holds the bow in her hands and turns it to both sides, amazed by Aelia's modifications. But the best part was still coming. Following Aelia's instructions, the elf held the bow with her right arm fully stretched, and pulled the string with her left. She gasped when the magical needle-arrow materialized out of thin air.

"This is... thanks, Aelia."

On the courtyard there were three targets used for archery practice. One of them completely destroyed, with only pieces of the base still in place, the rest in pieces scattered on the ground. The other two had stains of blood and dirt, but were still used, and Lenna practiced the bow's magical arrows two or three times, before going back to Lanius and Aelia.

"I will check the old house, see if we can find any provisions and maybe more arrows," Lenna said with a nod to Aelia, "anybody joining me?"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's get going then", Lanius replied, eager to do something productive.

Spoiler
    Show

Is that investigate or perception? In any case, here are two rolls

(1d20)[10]+7 Perception
    (1d20)[16]+0 Investigation

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer

Aelia nods and comes along, hoping to find anything that might be of use to her. They'd already found some metal the last night, but finding more materials would still be useful.

As the looked around she said to Lenna, "Would you mind telling us about yourself? We haven't really had a chance to get to know each other. I'm quite curious how someone manages to survive out alone in the dark."

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+1)[2]
    Investigation: (1d20+6)[17]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Once rested and on the move, you find it easy enough to navigate the rope ladders as they are all of sufficient length and located for their purpose.
    Reaching the ground first, Aelia takes one damage somehow scratching her leg on a nearby shrub.

The nearby well does not look like it has been used in some time. No rope or bucket to be seen anywhere around it’s edges.
    The old house is near the field where the scarecrows came from only the night before.

It is quiet out here. There is the gentle rustle of leaves in the trees, the soft grinding creak of the windmill as it turns ever so slowly and little else.

The cobblestone path on which you landed leads right to the front door of the building but you will find it locked.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

While following Aelia down the ladder, Lanius caught a short glimpse of Eisha searching a room on the first floor of the inn.
    "That girl is practically looking for trouble." He mumbled to himself and ignoring what she is doing for the moment.
    As the sound of the courtyard faded away quite suddenly, he turned to his companions: "Is the magic around here doing something to the sound? There is an unnatural quiet here."

Taking a close look at the locked door, Lanius produced a set of tools from his pocket and got to work on it.

Spoiler
    Show

Thief Tools
    (1d20)[14]+8

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Aelia Smith
    Human Artificer
    AC: 19 HP: 27/28

"Ow." Aelia comments at the scratch. "I think it's just that there's nobody here." she replies to Lanius.
    Seeing him work at the lock, she offers her insights as she understands mechanical things quite well.

Spoiler
    Show

using Help action in case Lanius' didn't succeed and rolling at advantage would help. Otherwise, just a thing Aelia would do anyway.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-03-24 at 11:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

"Not what I meant. We should be able to hear the others on the courtyard from here - but there is nothing but the wind and the creaking."
    Lanius said while concentrating on the lock.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

The lock clicked open with ease but the door only budged a few inches before finding resistance from something heavy on the other side.

Meanwhile Aelia is attacked again.
    ROUND 1
    (1d20-1)[13] Perception DC to avoid being surprised
    (1d20+1)[10] Attack
    (1d4-1)[3] damage

That same shrub is following you and having another go.

ROUND 2
    (1d20+1)[7] Attack
    (1d4-1)[0] damage

It claws and scratches at her boots managing to do little other than tear her laces.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-03-24 at 10:35 PM.