New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default THE Stupid Character Concept

Of course I would get this stuck in my head as I try and sleep. Because what better time could there possibly be?

"A man is nothing without his tools."

Summary: For a nautical campaign, I've got an upcoming character who is the ship's carpenter. Using spheres of power, he has a vast array of magical powers. But he doesn't use magic. Instead, it's his magically enchanted carpentry tools.

EDIT: Spheres of Power is thee system in use.

Spoiler: Casting Drawbacks
    Show
    Skilled Casting: DC 15 + Caster Level craft check in order to cast. (Very bad idea for a CL-reliant sphere, for sure.)

Spell Stand-In: Gain Spell Conduit and Spell Channel for free. Can not personally cast spells, so it must be done through the companions. (Though I assume I still get to be the one who makes the craft checks)

Focus Casting: His focus is his work bench.

Madness Mantra: Basically not a drawback. But he gets really into his work. Don't touch him.

Material Casting: You need a stock of wood and such if you want to be a carpenter

Somatic Casting x2: Really hard to cut wood without full range of motion.

Incompatible Energies: It's barely even considered magic. So of course it would be easier to dispel.

Rigorous Concentration: Yeah. Carpentry's hard work.

Narcoleptic Casting (counts for 2): He...probably needs to sleep more, rather than be obsessed with his tools. Not a metacommentary or anything.

Spoiler: Casting Boons
    Show
    Spell Points (x5): 1 spell point per level.

Bound Creature: Grants a permanent, non-dispellable, Conjuration companion which cannot be banished. Also counts as his magical focus. This is, of course, his magical workbench. And if it dies, the carpenter is not a caster for another 30 days. This will never go poorly.

Virtuoso: Very difficult to tell it's magic and not just super skill.

Embodiment: I AM THE WOOD! (No, but that would actually be kinda funny, since an Alter talent would then allow you to shift the material you're made out of. Would it kill you? Turn you into a temporary construct? Make you temporarily inanimate? Completely not function due to vague wording? Dunno! Let's ask the GM! It is 3 AM!)

Wild Surge is the power choice. Empowered Abilities is probably the more flavor-based choice. But my carpenter's a crazy old many. Some times he just doesn't even know what he's doing half the time.

Spoiler: Tools of the Trade
    Show
    Details on the Bound Creature.
    Base Form: An argument can be made for Ooze, as it's the entire ensemble of tools. But Quadruped for a crafting bench is just fine.

Free (form) talent: Cooperative Crafting (For obvious reasons).

Companion Archetype(s): Aquatic. Obviously, a crafting bench is not so great at moving around, but it can swing its tools around like a propeller.
    Martial Companion: Trades hoof attacks (which just don't make sense) out for martial talents like Shield sphere. (There's always something approximating a shield nearby.)
    or Warrior (x2): Trades out natural attacks for a martial tradition, which can include proficiency with Adventurer's Tools. Like Fishing Rods. Don't ask. SoM is...SoM. But it can also include several other talents all up front. Less scaling compared to Martial Companion.

Other Talents: Shadow Creature: Half damage taken is real nice when that can disable you for a full month.
    Shield Bearer: Gains a tower shield, and proficiency with it. Probably not super useful if I pick my martial talents right. And up to DM fiat whether it would be allowed, as a quadruped. As an Ooze, we've got more lee way.
    Constructed: Bad talent. But eventual immunity to crits, and some light DR.
    Implement Bearer: Comes equipped with a scaling enhancer to caster level. I'll just yoink that. Probably worth a talent when you've got a few already.
    Skillful / Sage Companion: I imagine Sage would be enough, with scaling int. But maybe. Dunno. I'm not working out the specifics.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2021-01-14 at 10:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: THE Stupid Character Concept

I'm confused. What system is this?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    I'm confused. What system is this?
    same here..^^
    I assume PF since Cooperative Casting is a PF feat. And IIRC Spheres of Power is an alternate casting system, but I'm not really familiar with that besides the name.

Wouldn't it be easier to take the warlock's "Imbue Item" ability and refluff it to your needs? It offers an official ruleset and thus it would be the simplest solution (if I did get right where you intend to go).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, you've got your very large sphere Tradition, but what Class is Norm Abrams? A Champion class is going to be much less lost if they can't bring their workbench to the job site than a Power class like Hedgewitch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Seems a perfect fit for a Spellforge Blacksmith.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another Handle View Post
    So, you've got your very large sphere Tradition, but what Class is Norm Abrams? A Champion class is going to be much less lost if they can't bring their workbench to the job site than a Power class like Hedgewitch.
    Not a clue. Creation sphere is probably going to be the primary sphere of choice. Which means a full caster class would be the preference. So Incanter or even Thaumaturge, though they are beyond boned if the workbench dies. Hedgewitch gets Transmuter as well, which gives at least usability if the tool bench dies. But the workbench would fall behind. Same deal with Spellforge, though getting free Craft Magic Arms and Armor, some bonus Creation talents, and blacksmith insights is very tempting, especially as a hedge against the workbench. A reasonable DM probably would allow refluff of steel to Ironwood to maintain the thematics.

Yeah. There's a reason I think Bound Creature is so positively ****. Despite being a "boon," you must be consistently paranoid about it getting destroyed, like a lich with a phylactery.