New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: OOTS #1222 - The Discussion Thread

That’s it, story’s over. What a journey. Well, it was great knowing you all. See you at the next apocalypse.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

So why didn't the head go into another plane and just got zapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    That’s it, story’s over. What a journey. Well, it was great knowing you all. See you at the next apocalypse.
    Order of the Stick 2: Order Stickier.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2020-12-19 at 11:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    Everyone's saying "dimensional portal." Am I the only one who looks at this and says "instanced dungeon"?
    No, no. He's got a point.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    Belker's last line is genius.

Looks like the order has wasted some spells, and Roy has wasted a charge on his sword, but team evil might be wasting more on whatever is inside that dungeon.
    I don't think the Order's wasted any buffs, and who knows whether Roy has limited power-ups for his sword. What is the likelihood that this particular dungeon the Order is in, is undefended?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    No, no. He's got a point.
    I still can't believe that movie is literally two decades old and we still use memes from it.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I’m sorry, but this clearly violates the second law of thermodynamics. I’m quite certain that make the Oracle impossible, based on a careful reading of the hundreds of pages of posts dissecting the physics implications of the oracles powers.

Why does anyone tolerate such obvious plot holes?
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-12-19 at 12:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Remember: finding the Gate and squatting on it does nothing until Team Evil finally get lucky or whatnot. There's still plenty to do even if they find the Gate, such as looking for the paladins if the Voices haven't stashed them here.
    I'm talking from a narrative perspective.
    It's the same as how it was easy enough to figure out that Roy's plan in the desert would fail.
    It's not likely for them to actually reach the gate and just go do other thing.
    The gates are the McGuffin, the hero aren't going to find them this fast.
    It's neither dramatic nor interesting.

"Dark One's luck" is almost certainly a cleric term for "if we get lucky".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirin View Post
    It's almost certainly NOT a reference to the Warlock class.
    <SNIPPED>
    I meant that the author made a joke - a pun - regarding the fact that the Warlock has a power with a name that sounds like Redcloak's deity.
    Not that Redcloak actually used some warlock power. Seriously...

I think that it's more the spirit that counts(as it's the start for the MitD of actually trying to hinder Team Evil), and the fact that he marked them at all means Team Evil just lost the one method they had of keeping track of everything they did so far. Maybe they can figure out which ones they already did since some don't have monsters yet(as they were killed by Team Evil), but that's going to put a strain on their teamwork. And maybe the MitD will have to start rebelling more openly.
    Again, I'm talking about the narrative here. The thing that would make the story interesting.
    Having it just as a character point to show the audience the monster in the dark went against team evil isn't needed - we already saw him convince Xykon to leave the desert. If it wasn't for him, the party would be dead.
    So we don't need to learn stuff we already know.

His specific trick needs to accomplish something more for it to have meaning - good or bad.
    One option, is that since O'chul saw him, he might have told the order via sending and it would be their way of knowing they can trust him.
    But it just seems too odd for Roy not to have mentioned this during all the recaps he did for the group.

Heck, if they knew the monster is on their side, Durkon would have been more likely to contact him before Redcloak and just ask about what Redcloak wants.

Of course another option is that the monster's trick would backfire. If Redcloak thinks it over, he could think that the door wasn't marked by accident - he might start to think that maybe they went through the door but monsters suddenly appeared in it and thus figure out it might be due to the trap instead - jumping to the right conclusion from the wrong facts.

That could be what pushes team evil at some point to speed things up
    Again narratively speaking, they have to stop going through random doors at some point.
    Otherwise, there is virtually nothing that Roy even needs to do...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Which begs the question of how a village, that very likely has Rogues, managed to miss it on their previous dungeon diving, but w/e.
    Maybe they never were high enough level to spot it, or rogues in the tribe tend to multi-class and thus not get high-level enough?
    Or only a select chosen group or specific type can enter it, and that never included a rogue?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I still can't believe that movie is literally two decades old and we still use memes from it.
    So there's this series called Star Wars, right, and...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Har-de-har-har-har.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    Everyone's saying "dimensional portal." Am I the only one who looks at this and says "instanced dungeon"?
    Same! Evidently I've played too much WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't remind me how old I am.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

the interesting thing is that nobody is looking in the direction of the SPLOTCH on the floor. i wonder what it looks like from the other side? if it is only a half a SPLOTCH, that would provide a clue for them.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

14. - Top - End - #74

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    the interesting thing is that nobody is looking in the direction of the SPLOTCH on the floor. i wonder what it looks like from the other side? if it is only a half a SPLOTCH, that would provide a clue for them.
    I think because the head was on both sides at the same time, it existed in two planes at the same time.

15. - Top - End - #75

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So there's this series of skits done by a troupe called Monty Python, right, and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Not exactly. I don't think Blackwing's telepathy would be coming through if it was another dimension. Unless you mean Team Evil is now in another dimension, which is still possible, I suppose.
    I still think we're looking at controlled connectivity of sections of corridors / rooms within the multidimensional stone. I don't think we know what the properties of multidimensional stone are.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Even if they can't see the trap, shouldn't they notice the perfectly straight edge on half a scorch mark?
    There may be some blurriness, if the changeover of the dimensional connections (or whatever) wasn't instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Beyond the quality of the punchline and the story itself, I'd like to say that the artwork is beautiful. I really like the visual effects of the warping through the portal.
    I suppose that showing the cross-sections of the bodies as they pass through the boundary plane would have been a bit gross. You know, intersection of complex moving three-dimensional objects with higher-dimensional spaces.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I expected that there was some kind of teleporty thing going on, but I didn't expect it would become plot-critical so quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

oh and redcloak still has trueseeing going and he still does not see the trap.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Psepha View Post
    Ah ha, so it does work like that!

Also Belkar's line at the end, just perfection.
    500% this. Loved it.

That said... can they leave while the trap is intact? Because it's clearly a 2-way effect.
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2020-12-19 at 02:11 PM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Spamalot in the Playground

And this right here is why you need a rogue, TE
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Well, either the portal theory just got confirmed, or the main plot's direction was just radically altered, and that's interesting. On the other hand, I want to do some more gushing about how cool this strip looks. Especially Team Evil going through the portal. It's not easy to draw... whatever you call the thing that's happening here. People clipping through objects? Portal cuts? Perfectly flat cross-sections of people and animals?

In any case, I think it looks really cool.
    B's short for Blatant. My friends call me "Blat."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Meta: I think it's too soon to find the Gate.
    Meta: [Agrees.]

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Makes sense. With Team Evil entering areas full of monsters but no gate, and the OOTS on the track to the gate.
    Again, while at this point it would be very difficult to argue against the notion that bypassing the trap is probably the key to finding a Gate, I would be very much disappointed to learn that all dungeons lead to the Gate if the party looking for it has a rogue, so I strongly hope that's not going to happen.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

If it's a variant of Teleportation Circle, as has already been suggested, you need to be a Rogue to even see the thing, regardless of how high your Spot skill is, and Oona's isn't small, I imagine. They don't have any Rogues, so unless RC bangs out a Find Traps, and gets to Spot like a Rogue (and his skill is likely poor), TE will never see the trap.
    Yeah, getting into the Trapfinding feature of Rogues (aka System Mandated Party Composition) felt like getting too deep into the weeds.

Which begs the question of how a village, that very likely has Rogues, managed to miss it on their previous dungeon diving, but w/e.
    Rogues with enough levels in Spot to see the tiny runes? Plus it's a tiny village (possibly smaller than a hundred, including children?) in a hostile environment. It might literally be the case that everyone is some combination of Fighter, Barbarian, and Ranger. With the occasional village shaman (who's probably a Druid or a Cleric).

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wannes View Post
    Maybe they never were high enough level to spot it, or rogues in the tribe tend to multi-class and thus not get high-level enough?
    Or only a select chosen group or specific type can enter it, and that never included a rogue?
    I mentioned this in a previous thread too. But once you know tribe mates have been in and out of these caves without triggering traps, it becomes a waste of time to search. They know it’s safe because their warrior friend was there 6 months earlier.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by npc revolution View Post
    I think they're in the long hidden bit of the corridor between the door and the dungeon.

We know the doors are weirdly packed together, I think the tunnels actually go a long distance and spread out before opening into dungeon levels. The line's function is to teleport people past this. The bit the Order are in is a different colour because no dust usually gets to this part of the corridor.

I think there's a two-way teleportation effect, and Roy's sword appeared at the other end of this hidden space. There may be access tunnels or side doors along this corridor, allowing Serini to move easily between any door and the Gate.

If Haley needs access to the line's blue sides (Per diagram) to meddle with it, it gives them a real problem. They'll be trapped in this looping space unless there's an exit somewhere along it. And Blackwing will be trapped outside.
    I actually really like this. I've never bought into the theory of 'oh, you found the super secret button that's right behind all the doors, so I guess we'll invalidate the entire purpose of the dungeon and send you right to the gate'.

This way, they didn't just magically reach the gate first, but they still used their skills and abilities to hide from Team Evil long enough to regroup.
    Last edited by Thermophille; 2020-12-19 at 03:19 PM.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It doesn't have to be a pocket dimension or demiplane. It could simply be another door in the canyon. Sort of a dimension door short-range teleport.
    Yeah, that's my guess, as they would have lost touch with Blackwing if they were on another plane.

27. - Top - End - #87

PaladinGuy

The weirdest part of the whole thing is how the Order can continue to see the exit and TE but Roy's sword did not go where he was aiming (Xykon's face). So the line doesn't work both ways. If the Order runs for the exit they won't end up going out that door they see, apparently.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh, LOL. And I mean that literally.

29. - Top - End - #89

Allow me to recommend Robert Heinlein's story "—And He Built A Crooked House—".

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Yeah, getting into the Trapfinding feature of Rogues (aka System Mandated Party Composition) felt like getting too deep into the weeds.

Rogues with enough levels in Spot to see the tiny runes? Plus it's a tiny village (possibly smaller than a hundred, including children?) in a hostile environment. It might literally be the case that everyone is some combination of Fighter, Barbarian, and Ranger. With the occasional village shaman (who's probably a Druid or a Cleric).
    Rogues with so few ranks in Spot that, taking 20, they'd still miss a magic rune that Haley literally almost stumbled over, but still noticed. When Haley hasn't been keeping that skill maxed. (As opposed to Bluff.) And when Rogue is the favored class of the race that inhabits that village. Not saying that have a bunch of 'em, or that they're skilled, but they didn't bring one along on their previous dungeon crawls?

EDIT: Totally agree with Amarsir about the observation that, if you haven't been getting hit with traps at all during your expeditions, you're going to eventually stop looking for traps. Which is a decent inference that, contra our expectations for a dungeon designed by a high-level Rogue, there likely aren't any/many traps in Monster Hollow at all. Team Evil might be able to just tank the damage, but the rest of the Bugbears likely can't.

It's a hole, but whatever. Still less laughable than that Durkula v the Order fight, and that turned out great. It's a decent explanation for why our plucky heroes see the thing, and mighty Team Evil can't. Not that Xykon cares either way, anymore it seems.

Haley rolled a 20, and we move along...
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2020-12-19 at 04:02 PM.