New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The elvish name of the Dark Elves in the The Elder Scrolls series of video games.
    Cool. I'll look into it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #992
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    What blood? If there's blood in your steak, it wasn't butchered correctly.
    And likely breaks a bunch of health laws, regardless of where you live.

Also, meat manufacturers love to pump water into the meat as much as they can. Meat is sold by weight, water is heavy and cheap, so there's a pretty obvious solution there if a company wants to maximize profits and isn't terribly concerned with ethics. So even that myoglobin is very watered down.

Lastly, while I'll never shame anyone for eating food how they like it, I highly recommend never getting steak at a restaurant and only cooking it at home if you like it well done. It's easy to tell if the meat has gone off a little when it's undercooked, but significantly harder to tell when it's overcooked. I'm not saying all restaurants keep meat past the time they should be tossed, but a well-done streak in a restaurant is most likely going to be their oldest cut. Still might be perfectly fine, but the odds are lower than with medium or lower. Cooked at home, you know 100% it's fresh.

Of course, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - I order my steaks rare, I could eat carpaccio all day long (and my wife and I just made it ourselves at home just the other week!), I know the very few places in town that will do a burger rare (better than a rare steak, I tells ya!), and i swear it's heaven taking a couple of the meaty bits of uncooked bacon to snack on while you cook the rest.

Oh, and as for meat with big globs of fat hanging off it? A good butcher shop (preferably standalone) will be able to help with that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

I miss living five minutes walk from a great butcher. He'd keep rabbits back after hunting if you told him you wanted a couple, and I believe often got his hands on game. I tell you, it's next to impossible to get rabbit anywhere, a good butcher who hunts them is amazing.

But yeah, a competent butcher is a must have, they'll be able to advise you on what cuts to use for your purposes and how to cook it if you ask. Plus they tend to make really good sausages.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #994

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I miss living five minutes walk from a great butcher. He'd keep rabbits back after hunting if you told him you wanted a couple, and I believe often got his hands on game. I tell you, it's next to impossible to get rabbit anywhere, a good butcher who hunts them is amazing.

But yeah, a competent butcher is a must have, they'll be able to advise you on what cuts to use for your purposes and how to cook it if you ask. Plus they tend to make really good sausages.
    Plus, standalone butchers always have the best house seasoning.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    How many other chaotic good dark elves, except for Ellistraee can you name?
    Most of her followers? Which means thousands of them? There are many named ones as well. Qilué, Liriel, Iljirene are the first three that come to mind. Not to mention that Eilistraee had a whole nation before the high elves genocided them via magic nuke, and that she still has her own communties, if small, and her own culture.
    Last edited by Irennan; 2021-01-21 at 09:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Colossus in the Playground

Me: Sits on floor to play with kitty

Also me: Immediately regret it when I get back up and all the joints in my arm start to ache.

I am now finally starting to consider the value of cybers, because those are more likely to exist in my lifetime than rejuvenation serums are and injecting myself with axolotl DNA and hugging the microwave is more likely to kill me than give me a healing factor.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

The only elves that I vaguely like are Shadowrun Elves, who are 100% humans with pointy ears. But it works because genetically they're a human species (if they even count as a separate species to sapiens sapiens), and the vast majority of them were raised in human cultures rather than the two specially created elf ones, and so it all makes sense.

Even then I mainly tolerate elves because I like orks and trolls. And I'm not a big fan of the metavariants as a whole, so I don't even care about Shadowrun's fuzzy dark elves (night elves? I forget the name they use). But the normal elves are cool enough, especially with the fact that the game uses them to feel with types of discrimination and abuse orks don't cover.

I guess part of it stems from being in a party of eight where I played the only character without an elven parent. Just got burnt out in all varieties of 'elves are better', especially because I was the only group member who had planned for the inevitability of melee combat when you have eight PCs fighting monsters who tend not to have ranged weapons, and as such could have gutted any of them if I got into sword range. No, you are not better, I'm almost as good with a bow as you (Fighter with 16 DEX) and can beat you at fencing with a blindfold on.

Give me an orc in the party any day, they don't tend to 'help' negotiations by teleporting my Cleric (currently engaged in the talks) halfway across the pub. My Cleric with the Overconfidence drawback, as well as Dislike (Elves)* and a bunch of drawbacks to suggest a very traditionalist character with a subdued sense of humour. His 'funny trickster' character learnt exactly why people have a problem with elves, said action was not funny, performed without consent, happened because the character wasn't paying attention, and almost ruined the entire evening's efforts. Yeah, given how people tend to play elves I'm really not sold on them, the mad alchemist who carried explosives around in a densely populated dwarf hold caused less problems (partially because it took him one incident to switch his alchemical grenades to a setup that wouldn't go off if he fell over, and every subsequent time he pulled out one of his creations it was legitimately useful).

* Which the GM let me switch an earlier disadvantage to because of this character.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #998

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That fic I mentioned... yesterday? Day before? Arbitrary Execution. It's got more than a little of that sort of thing. More "corrupt bureaucracy" than "social issues", I suppose.

It really is quite good.

EDIT: Wait, no, I mentioned that in the Pokemon thread, didn't I. Current conversations are blending, I got confused. Link added.
    So I did this in the Pokemon thread but since the story was mentioned here, for the sake of completeness:

Good read. Very engaging, sympathetic protagonists, interesting twist on the setting, parts fit made me cry, so... Not the best ic I've read, but definitely in the top ten.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

The dangers of a polyamorous relationship: nobody can agree on what breed of kitty you should get when everybody's finally able to move in together.

Show

10. - Top - End - #1000

The dangers of a polyamorous relationship: nobody can agree on what breed of kitty you should get when everybody's finally able to move in together.
    Gonna be honest, I think if that's the biggest problem with your relationship then you're doing pretty good.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Gonna be honest, I think if that's the biggest problem with your relationship then you're doing pretty good.
    Absolutely. "What kind of kitty-cat should we get?" is the kind of problem I would kill for.

(I know it's not a breed strictly speaking, but tuxedo cats are my favorite.)

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There lyeth the humour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Absolutely. "What kind of kitty-cat should we get?" is the kind of problem I would kill for.

(I know it's not a breed strictly speaking, but tuxedo cats are my favorite.)
    My favourite colouration/pattern is silver tabbies. Just so darn cute.

Never got the appeal of solid back cats, patterns just look so much nicer.

Show

13. - Top - End - #1003

I don't think I've ever owned a cat of a specific breed.

The cat I had most of my life until she had the stroke was a tabby we got from my father's office: The office cat got out and bred with an ally cat that we did not know the pedigree of.

The current house cats we have came from my stepfather's garage cat--a dark grey stray that wandered into the garage shortly after my cat died--got out and cred with another stray.

We were going to bring one of the kittens into the house when they were old enough and then give the others away to good homes... and instead we brought in two of the kittens and kept the rest in the garage with the (now fixed) mother.

My stepfather might be a cat lady.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I know this can be difficult (my cat is territorial as heck), but have you considered getting all of the kitties?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #1005

So apprently Netflix now has a TV-MA-rated gritty live-action reboot of The Winx Club, which I learned when I say my mom watching something, asked what it was, and she showed me the title. I then mentioned some details from the original to clarify that it was the same thing, which she confirmed.

Why? Why is this the world we live in?

Why is something that I got made fun of for watching in middle school becuase it was too girly and innocent for the tastes of the handful of people I let know I watched now fodder for this kind of thing?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

So... People here know words. Is there a more neutral word for "anxiety?"

From what I can tell, me talking about having anxiety is offensive. Since I don't actually have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

From what I can tell, me talking about having anxiety is offensive. Since I don't actually have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.
    Tell them that you don't have to have a "diagnosed anxiety disorder" to feel anxious (i.e. experience anxiety). Really, if they try to claim otherwise, that is offensive.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Troll in the Playground

Tell them that you don't have to have a "diagnosed anxiety disorder" to feel anxious (i.e. experience anxiety). Really, if they try to claim otherwise, that is offensive.
    I agree. Last I checked, anxiety was a feeling that anyone could have. Anxiety disorder is... well, a disorder.

Maybe I'm wrong and I should not feel anxious unless I get the diagnose! That would be nice. Someone just tell it to my brain.

@The Fury: maybe use "I feel anxious" instead of "I have anxiety". But still, it's strange someone gets offended in relation to your feelings.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

"Nervousness" is equivalent. "Apprehension" is a more-specific emotional subcategory.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-01-23 at 07:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #1010

So apprently Netflix now has a TV-MA-rated gritty live-action reboot of The Winx Club, which I learned when I say my mom watching something, asked what it was, and she showed me the title. I then mentioned some details from the original to clarify that it was the same thing, which she confirmed.

Why is something that I got made fun of for watching in middle school becuase it was too girly and innocent for the tastes of the handful of people I let know I watched now fodder for this kind of thing?
    Yes, how dare the world get more open-minded and tolerant.

Has someone actually raised this issue with you? Like others have said, "anxiety" is a perfectly normal emotion and someone gatekeeping it sounds patently ridiculous - I can't imagine that flying with HR or a group if friends (don't know what situation you're in with this).

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I know this can be difficult (my cat is territorial as heck), but have you considered getting all of the kitties?
    We'll probably end up with more than all the kitties! Including a British Blue we didn't plan on but somehow managed to turn up.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, how dare the world get more open-minded and tolerant.
    I think he meant "why are innocent things getting violent remakes" not "why are innocent things becoming acceptable"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #1013

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I think he meant "why are innocent things getting violent remakes" not "why are innocent things becoming acceptable"
    So I decided to look into this more. Apparently, the originating was Italian and broadcast in multiple countries. The US distributor heavily censored it. So it sounds more like a sanitized version that may not have been representative of the official shlw is the base here.

But every further than that, example time! I love Law & Order. One of the best shows ever. L&O: SVU not so much - it's just law, no order. It's a pure cop show, and not a great one at that. But I have a great power available to me - I can simply not watch it and not r judge people who do watch it. The fact that I dislike something didn't mean that nobody should like it. If there's someone out there that loves The Last Airbender movie, they sound be allowed to enjoy it without judgment. All the people who apparently dig that teen-drama Archie show shouldn't have to face "why does this thing you like even exist"?

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Because there isnan audience for it as evidenced by your mother watching it?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

So with that said, would you say that "I feel anxious" is more neutrally phrased than "I have anxiety?"

I would genuinely like to know. I'm trying to be more conscientious about which words I use.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

So with that said, would you say that "I feel anxious" is more neutrally phrased than "I have anxiety?"

I would genuinely like to know. I'm trying to be more conscientious about which words I use.
    They are the same thing. Anxiety is a noun, anxious is an adjective.

"This [thing] causes me a great deal of anxiety."
    "I am feeling very anxious because of [thing]."

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

We'll probably end up with more than all the kitties! Including a British Blue we didn't plan on but somehow managed to turn up.
    I am late to this discussion (life is hectic enough at the moment that it's hard to tune in here), but I recommend a Norwegian Forest Cat. While all kitties are good kitties, I am absolutely enamoured with those big floofy cats.

28. - Top - End - #1018

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I am late to this discussion (life is hectic enough at the moment that it's hard to tune in here), but I recommend a Norwegian Forest Cat. While all kitties are good kitties, I am absolutely enamoured with those big floofy cats.
    Seconded. I love big cats.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Yes! Get all the cats! More cat == more good.

Maybe? Being conscientious is fine and all, but I get the sense someone's making a problem out of a non-issue. You shouldn't have to feel like you're constantly walking on thin ice when you're just conversing normally.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-01-23 at 09:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    While I personally prefer shorthairs, yeah Norwegian Forest Cats are beautiful. But thanks to university courses we don't have to decide on the first kitty for about three years, and it'll likely be a Moggy or a British Shorthair (being by far the most popular breed over here for their dignified look and fairly friendly attitudes).

But we plan to be responsible kitty owners, and so due to my issues with the most commonly pushed method we have discussed alternative ways of controlling our (theoretical) pets' reproduction.

Show