Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've fixed the tyops (I think, I hear this phone for that reason). Now care to explain why my fear of dogs is childish?
    *Thinking of a good excuse*

I got nothing.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Not fake, just rare, and not an actual diagnostic condition but shorthand for a myriad of other conditions.

Coffee smells absolutely horrible.
    That's basically what I was getting at. It's not a real condition, and was in fact made up by idiots.

Coffee smells great, to me anyway. It just tastes bad.

Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

3. - Top - End - #723

Are you sure it's not the scotch you're smelling?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Are you sure it's not the scotch you're smelling?
    I prefer scotch and splenda. Tastes like splenda, gets ya drunk like scotch.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

5. - Top - End - #725

DrowGuy

I love the smell of coffee. I get hyper by drinking coffee but I'm not as hyper as I used to be back in my younger years. I guess my hyperactivity has nerfed when I age.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-01-13 at 05:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Now that you put it that way, it makes a whole lot of sense and the Simpsons is a childhood show. I've been watching The Simpsons since I was 4 years old and I'm 35 years old now.
    The Simpsons is (theoretically) adult oriented. Not in the ways South Park, Berserk, or [removed for decency] are adult oriented, but it's humour is theoretically targeted at adults.

Although I'm not sure, is it s family show? It's been years since I've seen an episode.

But family TV is great, my two favourite shows (Doctor Who and Horrible Histories) are family TV instead of strictly being children's or adult shows.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #727

DrowGuy

The Simpsons is (theoretically) adult oriented. Not in the ways South Park, Berserk, or [removed for decency] are adult oriented, but it's humour is theoretically targeted at adults.

Although I'm not sure, is it s family show? It's been years since I've seen an episode.

But family TV is great, my two favourite shows (Doctor Who and Horrible Histories) are family TV instead of strictly being children's or adult shows.
    Theoretically? My family used to watch the Simpsons together in my childhood years. So technically is a family show.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

But family TV is great, my two favorite shows (Doctor Who and Horrible Histories) are family TV instead of strictly being children's or adult shows.
    The Simpsons started life as shorts on the Tracy Ulman Show, which as a variety show was targeted towards families.

The Simpsons proper as a series is basically a sitcom with occasional episodes that vier off-genre. The gimmick was "dysfunctional but loving family has to deal with problems of various levels of seriousness" and with occasional exceptions(there are some late middle seasons where the "loving" is questionable) it's mostly stuck there.

While some of the Treehouse of Horror specials have warnings that very small children shouldn't watch them, for the most part, the show is targeted towards families.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #729

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The Simpsons started life as shorts on the Tracy Ulman Show, which as a variety show was targeted towards families.

The Simpsons proper as a series is basically a sitcom with occasional episodes that vier off-genre. The gimmick was "dysfunctional but loving family has to deal with problems of various levels of seriousness" and with occasional exceptions(there are some late middle seasons where the "loving" is questionable) it's mostly stuck there.

While some of the Treehouse of Horror specials have warnings that very small children shouldn't watch them, for the most part, the show is targeted towards families.
    I remember the Tracy Ullman show and the Simpsons shorts. I was 2 years old at the time. As for the warnings, I didn't listen to them and I was a little boy back then as well.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Anyway, on a completely unrelated note: if someone says "Superheroes are heroes" does the lack of space somehow imply that super heroes are not heroes?
    Logic says no.
    (A implies B) does not imply (non-A implies non-B).
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

11. - Top - End - #731

DrowGuy

Logic says no.
    (A implies B) does not imply (non-A implies non-B).
    You don't need a cape and powers to become a hero.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Coffee tastes bad but smells good.

Anyway, on a completely unrelated note: if someone says "Superheroes are heroes" does the lack of space somehow imply that super heroes are not heroes?
    Regardless, the lack of space definitely implies that Superman isn't Kryptonian.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

13. - Top - End - #733

DrowGuy

Regardless, the lack of space definitely implies that Superman isn't Kryptonian.
    I'm catching on to your subliminal joke. Good one.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

"superhero" is a specific term that refers to an individual, usually but not always in some way superhuman, who engages in costumed adventures that involve vigilante justice or protecting the Earth from extraterrestrial or extradimensional threats.

A "super hero" or "super-hero" is a hero who is in some way exceptional by the standard of heroes, but not so exceptional as to be referred to as an ultra or mega hero.

despite the name, a superhero is not always a hero--Norman Osborn's Dark vengers were superheroes, but they were not heroes by any means of the word--his "Spider-Man" an around committing homicide, cannibalism, and in his spare time chased and ate squirrels.

A super hero is by definition a hero, but does not have to be a superhero.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #735

DrowGuy

"superhero" is a specific term that refers to an individual, usually but not always in some way superhuman, who engages in costumed adventures that involve vigilante justice or protecting the Earth from extraterrestrial or extradimensional threats.

A "super hero" or "super-hero" is a hero who is in some way exceptional by the standard of heroes, but not so exceptional as to be referred to as an ultra or mega hero.

despite the name, a superhero is not always a hero--Norman Osborn's Dark vengers were superheroes, but they were not heroes by any means of the word--his "Spider-Man" an around committing homicide, cannibalism, and in his spare time chased and ate squirrels.

Squirrel Girl is going to have a very long talk with you on eating squirrels.

I have another question, Can you be a hero and villain at the same time?

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

That comes down to semantics. Subjectively, someone can be perceived as heroes by some people ad villains by others, but objectively it comes down to circumstances.

Honestly, that's a question better suited to a philosopher.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Pinhead from Hellraiser says yes.

18. - Top - End - #738

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Pinhead from Hellraiser says yes.
    Really? Wow, that's pretty interesting. I never watch Hellraiser before. One of the scary movies that I never watch is on my list.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

"Heroes" and "villains" are ultimately judgement calls and therefore highly subjective, dependent on your views on good and evil. For example if two countries are at war, one army's best general likely will be considered a hero by their troops and a villain by the opposite faction.

Cultures often use heroic figures as example of their values, naturally as culture change, value drifts and those same heroes may be regarded as horrible people a few centuries latter.

It can also depends on what parts of someone's life one is aware of/chooses to focus on. For example, my grandfather could be considered a hero* for his political work and a villain* for his family life.

At the end of the day, people are complicated and it's better not to try to sort them out between "heroes" and "villains".

If you meant just fictional charcaters, sure, it just depends on the writing.

*In all honesty both terms feel a bit strong here.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

20. - Top - End - #740

DrowGuy

"Heroes" and "villains" are ultimately judgement calls and therefore highly subjective, dependent on your views on good and evil. For example if two countries are at war, one army's best general likely will be considered a hero by their troops and a villain by the opposite faction.

Cultures often use heroic figures as example of their values, naturally as culture change, value drifts and those same heroes may be regarded as horrible people a few centuries latter.

It can also depends on what parts of someone's life one is aware of/chooses to focus on. For example, my grandfather could be considered a hero* for his political work and a villain* for his family life.

At the end of the day, people are complicated and it's better not to try to sort them out between "heroes" and "villains".

If you meant just fictional charcaters, sure, it just depends on the writing.

*In all honesty both terms feel a bit strong here.
    Cool. I'm consider to be the hero and the villain in this forum knowing how chaotic and rebellious I am.

You may called me Chaotic Man!

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like you're being facetious here, but I can't tell.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile an Uberhero is written Superman decides to float just above your head.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like you're being facetious here, but I can't tell.
    A little bit, but not fully.

"super hero" is a word being modified by an adjective--a hero that is super.

Superhero has, all one word, has it's own separate definition from the definition of hero. It didn't always have such a definition, but superheroes have been a thing since the late 30s and sometimes the meanings of words can change.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #744

DrowGuy

By the powers of Limbo: I summon Chaotic Man in attack mode. I'm going to activate Chaotic Man special ability: Limbo of the Living Chaos which will I'll summon so many Sladds and Proteans and end the duel for an automatic win.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Lyrics to song
    Show
    I'm Henry the eighth I am,
    Henry the eighth I am I am,
    I got married to the widow next door,
    She's been married seven times before,
    And everyone was a Henry (Henry),
    She wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam (no sam)
    I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry,
    Henry the eighth I am

So, the first time I heard this my immediate thoughts were "Henry married a serial killer."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I live near Austin. We got almost 4 inches Sunday. I saw something I have never seen in the 25 years I've lived in the Austin area.... a man shoveling his driveway. Almost as strange... why does he own a snow shovel?
    To your final question: because he was prepared. It is the same reason I am looking at firesafes.

To the rest: please send the snow to Maryland so my daughters can play in the snow.

Saying that it is a childhood fear is like saying whole milk is a childhood drink. If a lot of adults have a fear of needles, it is not a "childhood fear". It is just a "fear".

ETA: Or, if you prefer, calling the Simpsons a childhood show.
    I can count the episodes of the Simpsons I have seen on the fingers of a blind butcher's hand. Nevertheless, I feel confident in saying I won't be letting my children watch any of it.

What is wrong with eating squirrel, may I ask? It isn't any worse than eating goat or pig or cow.

Meanwhile an Uberhero is written Superman decides to float just above your head.
    here I thought uberhero was a hero who used an app to find crimes to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #747

DrowGuy

If alignment existed in the real world my alignment would be Chaotic Neutral.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    What is wrong with eating squirrel, may I ask? It isn't any worse than eating goat or pig or cow.
    Well, for one, squirrels in the Marvel universe are sapient with their own complex language that humans just don't understand so eating a Marvel Universe squirrel is no different, morally or ethically, from eating a person. Which "Dark Spider-Man" was also doing.

For two, he was chasing them down and eating them alive in front of people.

"Dark Spider-Man" is an interesting case of mutual toxicity--this was Macdonald Gargon, the Scorpion, during the time he was Venom.

Mac is insane, but before this there'd always been a hint of tragedy to him--Mac was a decent human being before the side effects of the procedure that gave him his powers caused his sanity to deteriorate and there was always an underlying "I want to go back to being a normal, sane, non-super person" to him.

Then he agreed to host the Venom symbiote after it found the guy that Eddie Brock sold it too lacking and bonded that host to die.

The symbiote, still in it's corrupt and evil phase and in one of it's "I need certain chemicals to heal myself and the human body is the best place to get them periods" encouraged Mac to give in to his darker impulses, to kill people, and to eat them so the symbiote could get what it needed.

At first, Mac was scared, and this was depicted as the Symbiote corrupting Mac... But then when he gave in he found that he liked it very, very much.

It's been implied at least once that he still eats people even though he's not Venom anymore, and the current canon is that in the long run he was a worse influence on the symbiote than vice versa--the symbiote enabled Mac's worst traits, while Mac encouraged the development of the symbiote's insanity.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Lyrics to song
    Show
    I'm Henry the eighth I am,
    Henry the eighth I am I am,
    I got married to the widow next door,
    She's been married seven times before,
    And everyone was a Henry (Henry),
    She wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam (no sam)
    I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry,
    Henry the eighth I am

So, the first time I heard this my immediate thoughts were "Henry married a serial killer."
    That's part of the joke, yes.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

The more I hear about the in-depth history of the Marvel and DC universes, the more I want to stay as far away as possinle.