New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,505 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay, got it.

Night-magic. I was still brainstorming root words related to darkness and shadow. It's Latin, though because I know piss all about ancient Greek (also it should be noctomancy, but come on, why pass on a perfectly serviceable x?)

Hulk would be right. That's not math. Math is a way to modelize the world by reducing it to numbers. What Hulk is doing in that example is the same thing you and I do when, say, scoring a point in basketball. Sure you could modelize what's happening with math but when you do it, you don't use math. You know from experience how much strenght to use to get what result but you're not thinking in tems of newtons or kilograms or watts.
    Glad you do! If you want more info, and want to see it in action, you know where to look

Aah, right. Nox is night. Forgot that. God yeah, x's are good to use. Have a good feel to them.

It is unthinking math, if that makes sense. Even if they don't know the exact equations, they are still performing math.

2. - Top - End - #1502

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hulk would be right. That's not math. Math is a way to modelize the world by reducing it to numbers. What Hulk is doing in that example is the same thing you and I do when, say, scoring a point in basketball. Sure you could modelize what's happening with math but when you do it, you don't use math. You know from experience how much strenght to use to get what result but you're not thinking in tems of newtons or kilograms or watts.
    I maybe didn't explain it right

when Amadeus Cho attempted to cure Banner of the Hulk by using modified Sternbots to drain the Hulk's powers into himself(it didn't stick), becoming the Totally Awesome Hulk, he is in control of himself in his Hulk Form and describes it as if you're intuitively aware of the numbers that quantify everything and instinctively plug them in to figure things out without even thinking about it.

He then speculates that this is why there are almost never any casualties from Hulk rampages even though they often rack up millions in property damage, which is later confirmed by Devil Hulk when questioned on it after Bruce is repowered.

The Big Guy has the intellect of a three-year-old... But Bruce Banner was reading and perfectly comprehending Paradise Lost* and building complex structures with erector sets at that age. And the Big Guy is an exaggeration of Bruce at that age. Hulk is a genius who can't explain how he knows or does things.

*Incidentally, this is was a major contributor to the manifestation of DiD that formed the basis for his various Hulk forms though I'm honestly not sure if I'm allowed to explain how.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I maybe didn't explain it right

when Amadeus Cho attempted to cure Banner of the Hulk by using modified Sternbots to drain the Hulk's powers into himself(it didn't stick), becoming the Totally Awesome Hulk, he is in control of himself in his Hulk Form and describes it as if you're intuitively aware of the numbers that quantify everything and instinctively plug them in to figure things out without even thinking about it.
    That's a bad description by an author who just wanted it to sound cool and math-y, though. Let's say you need to walk across a beam 6 inches wide and 6 feet long. You're not intuitively aware of any numbers that quantity anything, you're aware of how off-balance you feel. That's not math. Hulk punching a tank but not hard enough to kill whoever is inside is not math. Writers can write whatever they want to, but that does not and never will make it math.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we've hit the page limit, so new thread's over here. Come fast before the new thread smell fades!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #1505

[QUOTE=Peelee;24915077Let's say you need to walk across a beam 6 inches wide and 6 feet long. You're not intuitively aware of any numbers that quantity anything, you're aware of how off-balance you feel.[/QUOTE]

And we're not the Hulk, are we? We don't think in Math and perceive the world in numbers. Hulk does.

We're talking about someone who can smell lies—not detect subtle changes in body odor when someone is stressed by telling a lie, like say Wolverine or dare Devil, but rather the intangible concept of "untruth" whenever someone speaks a lie in his presence. He lives in a world where radiation poisoning sometimes turns you into an immortal metaphor for your own mental health issues.

"Hulk thinks in Math" is honestly the least weird thing about him.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks