New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    What is it missing to make it dystopian? Genuinely just curious.
    I guess the Imperial Stormtroopers are polite enough that they don't bother you if you lock the door.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    What is it missing to make it dystopian? Genuinely just curious.
    It's more like 1980's New York (early-season Law & Order or Crocodile Dundee are halfway decent examples) than what is described. The specific example of a beggar getting a credit and then getting robbed for that credit was a single, very short scene in KOTOR II, which also showed a vast amount of people not getting mugged over having a single credit. Hell, Taris was more dystopian than Nar Shaddaa, and I wouldn't consider Taris dystopian either.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-29 at 12:18 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's more like 1980's New York (early-season Law & Order or Crocodile Dundee are halfway decent examples) than what is described. The specific example of a beggar getting a credit and then getting robbed for that credit was a single, very short scene in KOTOR II, which also showed a vast amount of people not getting mugged over having a single credit. Hell, Taris was more dystopian than Nar Shaddaa, and I wouldn't consider Taris dystopian either.
    From Wookiepedia:
    Society and culture
    By the time of the Galactic Civil War, Nar Shaddaa had a reputation as a haven for pirates and outlaws.[1] Seen as a negative version of the ecumenopolis Coruscant, Nar Shaddaa was known for being polluted and possibly one of the most dangerous places in the galaxy, as its inhabitants embraced almost every sort of illegal activity with almost no interference from law enforcement or officials of any galactic government.[11] The Rebel Alliance considered the moon so dangerous that they regarded even sending a covert team there as suicide.[8]

The Hutt Clan controlled Nar Shaddaa, but maintained only the lightest touch in governing the residence, ensuring only that they got a cut from a deal or transaction on the moon. The majority of beings on the moon understood that staying on the good side of the Hutts was essential to surviving on Nar Shaddaa, although it far from guaranteed safety. Unofficially, the different territories on the moon were divided between various Hutt crime lords as well as other criminal cartels or gangs. The Hutts of Nal Hutta conducted almost all of their offworld dealings on Nar Shaddaa, meaning there were few visitors to the planet itself.[11]

Gangs of droids also roamed the streets of Nar Shaddaa, accosting other droids such as C-3PO for scrap metal.[12] Some forms of entertainment on Nar Shaddaa included bars and an arena run by Grakkus the Hutt which pitted Wookiees, "lizard men," pirates, and other prisoners against various wild beasts.[5]
    It is literally the most lawless, dangerous, polluted place in all the galaxy, ruled entirely by criminals and everyone's prime priorities is survival. if that isn't a dystopia, nothing is.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

It's legends, but in The Old Repubklic the Sith Inquisitor can become the living god of a cult based on Nar Shadda in part by... Giving sick people medicine without asking for something in return.

That's an optional part of it and not how you'd recruit the majority of your cult, but I think that a single act of kindness being enough to make some people worship you speaks volumes about what kind of hellhole the planet is.

Unrelated: Sometimes I wonder how many "this will make you stronger but will also turn deform you or make you monstrous" type power-ups you could stack on a person before they start canceling out and the person ends up being more or less humanoid.

For example, not too long ago I mentioned that my thoughts were turned towards the venom of the mutant spiders that Captain America essentially gave birth to during Marvel's "Spider-Island" event, which would logically contain both the super-soldier serum and the spider-flu, which have unique properties that would allow them to combine and/or greatly enhance each other's effects, and whether or not it would turn someone into "Spider-Man up to 11" or "horrifying godlike spider-monstrosity that might be able to stretch and shapeshift*"

Part of me wonders if the monstrous spider-form could be negated by just stacking enough similar monstrous form granting power-ups onto it, letting the serum/virus adapt to absorb them, and then repeating until it isn't physically possible to become more monstrous and the mutations start looping back around to something more humanoid.
    Spoiler: Long aside
    Show

Incidentally, I've managed to track down and read the original story: Cap was mutated into the spider-king with an unknown mutagen derived from Kaine: After being killed, Kaine came back to life with black skin, eight eyes, fangs, and the power of The Other. Jackal drugged him and then injected him with a serum that made his obvious spider-like mutations even more prominent. Later, Captain America was mutated in such a way as to give him nearly identical spider-powers and spider-like form, then a sack containing the mutated spider embryos was implanted in him surgically to hesitate and he puked them up when they were mature. Assuming that they were somehow gaining nourishment from his body, they would not only have the supersoldier serum but also the Kaine derived mutagen so SSS plus two separate means of turning into a monstrous being with stronger versions of the Spider-Man package which either the serum or the virus could absorb or adapt to given time, so I'm just gonna assume that the "spider-king" body type is the default.

So, I reintroduce you to Susan "Itsy-Bitsy" Mary(think about it), this time sans symbiote.
    Spoiler
    Show

Susan is a "Hybrid Clone Mutate" who received her powers when she was transfused with two separate substances, one designed to give her Spider-Man's mutations and one designed to give her Deadpool's modified X-Gene complex. The two sets of mutations played together very well, curing the flaw in Deadpool's healing factor(basically, it doesn't turn off. If you cured his cancer his healing factor would turn into a different cancer) and enhancing and expanding the spider-man power set significantly(in addition to the combined physical enhancements and healing of the two and the visible spider mutations, Susan has organic webbing that's durable enough to be used as monofilament razor wire and can spit acid that rapidly melts through clothing. As an aside, the combination of Deadpool's healing factor and spider-mans, with whatever enhancements they respectively possess, is strong enough to shrug off anything short of having limbs destroyed by a nuclear fusion reaction)

And right now I'm wondering if I use that process, but replace the spider-man DNA used in the original reaction with the juices of the flu-carrying spiders, would it turn the subject into an even more monstrous spider, or would it stabilize it into a more humanoid form(Itsy is much more humanoid than Spider-King or any of the spider-flu victims)

Or, if results in an even more monstrous spider-form... Would zapping the subject with a cathexis-ray generator* make them even more monstrous, bring them back around becuase they hit a wall, or just make them bigger?

*basically, a device that can turn anyone into a hulk, whether they have the Gamma Gene or not, using the Hulk's unique gamma-ray signature. It is the origin of Doc Samson's powers and was later combined with a Cosmic Ray emitter to turned Thaddeus Ross into the Red Hulk, Betty Ross into Red She-Hulk, enhance the Leader's existing powers, and turn a bunch of Marvel Heroes into "Hulked Out" heroes who had Hulk themed upgrades to their powers—For example, Cyclops not only got a hulked-out body, he grew a bunch of extra eyes all over his face and scalp and gained control over his optic blasts

And so on and so forth.

I'm not asking for an answer, this is just the kind of thing I think about.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-12-29 at 10:54 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Just discovered that spy-fi is a thing that exists.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Just discovered that spy-fi is a thing that exists.
    So, you may want to try these James Bond movies. I don't know if you'be ever heard of them but they're pretty fun despite the varying quality.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So, you may want to try these James Bond movies. I don't know if you'be ever heard of them but they're pretty fun despite the varying quality.
    I do realise that they technically fall within the definition, but I was thinking of the even more technologically advanced ones. Think Minority Report technology level or better.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what sounds interesting to me? A coffeeshop where, for all available products, customers can either add the cream(er) and sweetener themselves or specify an amount and type(s)

There wouldn't be any (for example) chocolate syrup; if you order a mocha, they grate unsweetened bakers' chocolate into the coffee (and inform you that that's what they've done, and of where the sweeteners and lighteners are)

Other flavorings would follow equivalent procedure to chocolate.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-29 at 04:40 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

If I ran a cafe it would only serve black tea and coffee. Milk and sugar would be available, but you would have to add it yourself, but you'd pick your preferred tea or coffee blend, and then have it prepared either in a tea pot, as a filter coffee, or an americano. Ideally instead of having a one strength fits all policy I'd charge by the teaspoon, so people can get the drink they'd prefer.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    If I ran a cafe it would only serve black tea and coffee. Milk and sugar would be available, but you would have to add it yourself, but you'd pick your preferred tea or coffee blend, and then have it prepared either in a tea pot, as a filter coffee, or an americano. Ideally instead of having a one strength fits all policy I'd charge by the teaspoon, so people can get the drink they'd prefer.
    I think you're greatly overestimating how smart people are about coffee. I, Zodi, who am a very basic bitch of a person who loves egg nog, got confused to the point of forgetting where I was when asked if I'd like egg nog added to my hot chocolate instead of milk.*

Aint nobody got time to tell you how many teaspoons of coffee grounds they want.

*obviously this is hyperbole but I did get completely thrown off my mentality because of the question
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-12-29 at 06:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think you're greatly overestimating how smart people are about coffee. I, Zodi, who am a very basic bitch of a person who loves egg nog, got confused to the point of forgetting where I was when asked if I'd like egg nog added to my hot chocolate instead of milk.*
    As someone who actually gets nausea something fierce from too much eggnog no matter good it tastes, that sounds... icky.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    As someone who actually gets nausea something fierce from too much eggnog no matter good it tastes, that sounds... icky.
    Entirely fair. I could, can, have, and will again buy armfuls of it and have to restrain myself FROM drinking all of it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, egg nog. I can drink it and like it, but not very much of it. It's very much an "I need to be in a specific sort of mood for this" sort of drink.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Aint nobody got time to tell you how many teaspoons of coffee grounds they want.

*obviously this is hyperbole but I did get completely thrown off my mentality because of the question
    I've never said I'd be good at running a business. Also who puts alcoholic raw egg drink in their hot chocolate? This doesn't sound like a hot toddy (Irish coffee) to me.

Like, a lot of this stems from me liking a very basic coffee: black, no sugar, strong flavour, and without much bitter. As well as liking my hipster beer and gin and tonics. I also tend to drink my tea black, but that's partially to avoid arguments over milk if we're using a teapot.

I miss having my girlfriend over, where we'd eventually just cuddle in front of QI and a pot of tea. But we're both in tier 4
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-12-29 at 07:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

I miss having my girlfriend over, where we'd eventually just cuddle in front of QI and a pot of tea. But we're both in tier 4
    I also enjoy basking in the light of Stephen Fry.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I also enjoy basking in the light of Stephen Fry.
    He's become incredibly short and Danish recently. Maybe he's on a new diet?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #287

I've never said I'd be good at running a business. Also who puts alcoholic raw egg drink in their hot chocolate? This doesn't sound like a hot toddy (Irish coffee) to me.

Like, a lot of this stems from me liking a very basic coffee: black, no sugar, strong flavour, and without much bitter. As well as liking my hipster beer and gin and tonics. I also tend to drink my tea black, but that's partially to avoid arguments over milk if we're using a teapot.

Alcho... Eggnog isn't alcoholic and I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve raw eggs. It's basically just a sweet milk! Hot chocolate isn't a sort of coffee at all, it is literally just hot milk with chocolate mixed in.

18. - Top - End - #288

Alcho... Eggnog isn't alcoholic and I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve raw eggs. It's basically just a sweet milk! Hot chocolate isn't a sort of coffee at all, it is literally just hot milk with chocolate mixed in.
    Eggnog is often served with rum and/or whisky added to it(some recipes put the booze straight in as it's being made) and is made with eggs.

The eggs are not cooked, though pasteurized eggs(or pasteurizing the finished nog) are the standard AFAIK, so the risk of getting sick from it is negligible.

Eggnog also includes whole milk and heavy cream, which is why I can't handle more than a bit of it: I've got an intolerance for milk fat. I can handle two percent milk, most cheeses, whipped cream, or ice cream in moderation and cooking it into something seems to clear up the issue, and over the years have built up a decent tolerance, but to this day my family doesn't buy whole milk if we can avoid it and...

Eggnog is yummy, but if I drink more than a little bit my tummy gets angry at me.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-12-29 at 07:53 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Traditional eggnog is in fact both highly alcoholic and contains raw egg - the basic recipe is whole milk, bourbon/whisky/rum/brandy (the alcohol of choice is up to preference - which one is 'correct' for your region will depend on what your local liquor makers produce), mixed with appropriate holiday spices and thickened with raw egg yolk.

Common supermarket renditions of the drink are of course pasteurized, use processed egg products (egg protein powder, for example) or don't actually have egg in them at all and opt for things like gelatin or guar gum to thicken, as well as removing the alcohol, so you do end up with what is basically sweet, thickened, spiced milk.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Traditional eggnog is in fact both highly alcoholic and contains raw egg - the basic recipe is whole milk, bourbon/whisky/rum/brandy (the alcohol of choice is up to preference - which one is 'correct' for your region will depend on what your local liquor makers produce), mixed with appropriate holiday spices and thickened with raw egg yolk.

Common supermarket renditions of the drink are of course pasteurized, use processed egg products (egg protein powder, for example) or don't actually have egg in them at all and opt for things like gelatin or guar gum to thicken, as well as removing the alcohol, so you do end up with what is basically sweet, thickened, spiced milk.
    Mine specifically had frozen egg yolk and guar gum, and half the bottles I get are candy cane flavored while the others are "regular" which appears to be cinnamon or some other sort of spice? I can't tell I don't have a bottle right now.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Nutmeg. The main spice for traditional eggnog is nutmeg.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reading the eggnog discussion has made me equal parts curious and horrified (raw egg? And people drink this?). I've never had it, but now I do wonder what it tastes like. Even if I do find it horrible, I kind of want a taste now just for the experience.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Reading the eggnog discussion has made me equal parts curious and horrified (raw egg? And people drink this?). I've never had it, but now I do wonder what it tastes like. Even if I do find it horrible, I kind of want a taste now just for the experience.
    It tastes like a pumpkin spice without coffee in it, and then add eggs to make it creamy. The two complaints are from people who don't like nutmeg and people who have a hard time with swallowing raw eggs.

The raw eggs are pasteurized so it is perfectly safe now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #294

After a bit of experimentation, I have determined that I can handle a coffee mug worth of eggnog every ten hours or so without feeling icky, so...

anyway... I'm wondering how to make a cheese sauce. The kind you'd dip pretzels in or pour over tortilla chips

Stuff from a fast food place, restaurant, or snack shop usually turns out okay, but when it comes to store-bought the only ones that turn out good as far as I'm concerned are a specific brand of mild nacho cheese that comes in a can or one specific brand of Queso Blanco that my family bought once and then couldn't find again.

So I'm wondering how exactly to go about it. Part of me is looking at a fondue recipe that uses Gudda, Gruyere, and swiss cheese melted in a mixture of chicken broth and white wine vinegar and seasoned with garlic and white pepper and I'm wondering if I could get what I want buy substituting sharp cheddar for the swiss cheese and adding a bit of cayenne pepper and just a hint of jalapeno extract(or salt, basically anything that tastes like jalapeno without being a chunk of jalapeno)

I've also seen the traditional "cheddar sauce" which is basically cheddar cheese melted into a Béchamel sauce, which I could add some spices to give it the kick, but honestly, that feels too easy.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've been watching Pokemon: Detective Pikachu movie on Hulu so many times already.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

anyway... I'm wondering how to make a cheese sauce. The kind you'd dip pretzels in or pour over tortilla chips
    I've also seen the traditional "cheddar sauce" which is basically cheddar cheese melted into a Béchamel sauce, which I could add some spices to give it the kick, but honestly, that feels too easy.
    I wouldn't recommend trying it, anyway; the texture is too different. It's great for pouring on, for example, the broccoli and cauliflower I made it for; but it's not really the kind of thing I'd use for dipping or nachos.

I learned recently that Mom's amazing cheese dip is just Velveeta melted with a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles (or just a small can of green chiles) mixed in.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I wouldn't recommend trying it, anyway; the texture is too different. It's great for pouring on, for example, the broccoli and cauliflower I made it for; but it's not really the kind of thing I'd use for dipping or nachos.

I learned recently that Mom's amazing cheese dip is just Velveeta melted with a can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles (or just a small can of green chiles) mixed in.
    I've never heard of Mom's Amazing Cheese Dip, but I wonder how it would taste with real cheese.

Rater, is the aversion to using jalapeño the chunkiness?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

I've never heard of Mom's Amazing Cheese Dip, but I wonder how it would taste with real cheese.
    I suspect it'd taste like a waste of perfectly good cheese, when Velveeta is optimized for imparting texture and adding a sense of mild cheese-esque flavor to sharper ingredients (and little else). Though I suppose I'm making an assumption that the tortilla chips are something you'd want to taste, which sadly isn't the case with all varieties of tortilla chip....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #299

Rater, is the aversion to using jalapeño the chunkiness?
    Maybe?

I can't really describe it but there are certain foods that I just hate the feel of in my mouth. Certain sliced vegetables...

And then there's a texture thing. I like my sources smooth, excepting maybe chunks of meat or mushroom slices, and I'm not seeing hick sliced vegetables working well as a dip(I mean, obviously people do eat them like that, but part of me always wonders "why")

And heat control thing: most cheese sauces with sliced tomatoes I've seen leave the membranes fully intact, and that's where most of the capsaicin is. An extract or a salt it's easier to figure out...

I guess you could say that I like jalapeno flavor but not jalapenos themselves if that makes sense?

Maybe a puree if it was done fine enough and mixed with enough other ingredients that it fully drowned out the texture...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I suspect it'd taste like a waste of perfectly good cheese, when Velveeta is optimized for imparting texture and adding a sense of mild cheese-esque flavor to sharper ingredients (and little else). Though I suppose I'm making an assumption that the tortilla chips are something you'd want to taste, which sadly isn't the case with all varieties of tortilla chip....
    Tostitos Cantona Chips are freaking amazing. And also have one of the best ingredients list I've seen on a bag of chips, at that.
    Maybe?

I can't really describe it but there are certain foods that I just hate the feel of in my mouth. Certain sliced vegetables...

And then there's a texture thing. I like my sources smooth, excepting maybe chunks of meat or mushroom slices, and I'm not seeing hick sliced vegetables working well as a dip(I mean, obviously people do eat them like that, but part of me always wonders "why")

And heat control thing: most cheese sauces with sliced tomatoes I've seen leave the membranes fully intact, and that's where most of the capsaicin is. An extract or a salt it's easier to figure out...

I guess you could say that I like jalapeno flavor but not jalapenos themselves if that makes sense?

Maybe a puree if it was done fine enough and mixed with enough other ingredients that it fully drowned out the texture...
    Do you have a mezzaluna? You can dice foods incredibly finely incredibly quickly and easily with a mezzaluna, which might solve the issue of texture. "Might", of course, being the operative word. A safer way may be to just dry out jalapeños and then powderize them. If choose z if you don't grow jalapeños, your original plan of jalapeño flavoring in any form would be much easier.

There is a small chance that I will always recommend a mezzaluna for a kitchen that doesn't have one regardless.