New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

I think I spend too much time thinking about nerdy pop culture stuff.

The other day I randomly decided to look up Tamaraneans(Starfire's race) on the DC wiki, noticed that their metabolisms, natural superpowers, and every artificial enhancement any known member of the species had had are fueled in whole and in part by passively absorbing ultraviolet radiation--of any kinds--through their skin(and some of them can do it actively--apparently Starfire once defeated a squad of Kryptonians by sucking the solar radiation out of their bodies.)

Afterward, I spent several hours straight comparing their known physiological and superhuman abilities to those of Kyrptoninans and Daxamites(evolutionary cousin of Kyrptoninans, all the same powers but instead of kryptonite they're hyper susceptible to lead poisoning) in an attempt to figure out what a hybrid of the two species would be like.

(I settle on an artificial super-soldier created using aggressive genetic algorithms. that has most of the standard Kryptonian powers, but only Tamaranean strength and toughness. In exchange, their "heat vision" is more "generate heat, nuclear fire, ultraviolet blasts, or various forms of EM radiation from their hands and eyes to various effects." All forms of UV radiation register as yellow sunlight, which means they don't get weaken from red sunlight but don't get stronger from blue sunlight or suffer any other effects from unusual starlight. I have also decided that they are a late teens girl who needs to be taught how to people.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

I mean your currently trying to making sense of DC stuff. and DC is a convoluted chaos of insanity as far its cosmology goes with infinities on top of infinities. so yeah your probably thinking too much about it, because your trying to make sense of DC comics. this is surely a fools errand that can only end in tears. but then I might be too edgy for DC universe, that place is aggressively wholesome and vanilla when its not being cartoonishly wacky or overly grandiose, so its like only a decent middling kind of fictional world to me: not bad just not standing out very much to me in terms of quality, but that might just be the seinfeld is unfunny effect happening since it predates a lot of things.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #453

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I mean your currently trying to making sense of DC stuff. and DC is a convoluted chaos of insanity as far its cosmology goes with infinities on top of infinities. so yeah your probably thinking too much about it, because your trying to make sense of DC comics. this is surely a fools errand that can only end in tears. but then I might be too edgy for DC universe, that place is aggressively wholesome and vanilla when its not being cartoonishly wacky or overly grandiose, so its like only a decent middling kind of fictional world to me: not bad just not standing out very much to me in terms of quality, but that might just be the seinfeld is unfunny effect happening since it predates a lot of things.
    I've also spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what would happen if you gave someone more than one of Marvel Comic's Super Solider derivatives.

For example, a Nazi Spy named Julia Koenig stole a recipe for an attempt to create a Super Soldier Serum and tested it on herself, becoming Warrior Woman, a foe of the Invaders* The net result was almost perfect... But they're very vague on how it's not, which makes it hard to gauge what happens if you mix it with the Red Room's attempt at making the serum, which made the Black Widow eternally youthful and gives her perfect peak human physical attributes but doesn't seem to enhance her mind.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's no neutrality in the Youtube Drama Community.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    A death metal childrens' artist. Yes! I like the way you think!
    Is this already a thing? If not, short of learning multiple instruments, still trying to pick up the piano, how can I make it a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's intentional
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Is this already a thing? If not, short of learning multiple instruments, still trying to pick up the piano, how can I make it a thing?
    Become a manager for a label that manufactures bands?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's intentional
    Well of course it's intentional people want you to join their against the people that they hate, no matter how neutral and cool you're with everybody in the Youtube Drama Community. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-01-04 at 08:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I think I spend too much time thinking about nerdy pop culture stuff.
    I definitely spend too much time thinking about nerdy stuff. The pop culture I can pass on for the most part but hey, different stroked for different folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    You should invest in the NBC comedy Community instead.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I definitely spend too much time thinking about nerdy stuff. The pop culture I can pass on for the most part but hey, different stroked for different folks.

I get the joke and I appreciate that you're trying to cheer me up. Thank you Peelee.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard they play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Once. Featuring that most iconic character Hector the Well-Endowed.

If he's got so much money why is he adventuring? Yes, I know what the actual joke is, but that's less funny.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've heard they play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Once. Featuring that most iconic character Hector the Well-Endowed.

If he's got so much money why is he adventuring? Yes, I know what the actual joke is, but that's less funny.
    Sign me up I want to be in that type of Community.

12. - Top - End - #462

You think Hector the Well-Endowed was more iconic than Marrrrrrrrrr?

13. - Top - End - #463

I think we can all agree that the truly most iconic DND character that's been put in a medium that isn't DND is Lina Inverse the Pink; the Bandit Killer, the Dragon Spooker, The Natural Enemy Of All Who Live.

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think we can all agree that the truly most iconic DND character that's been put in a medium that isn't DND is Lina Inverse the Pink; the Bandit Killer, the Dragon Spooker, The Natural Enemy Of All Who Live.
    I, for one, am not spooked.

15. - Top - End - #465

I, for one, am not spooked.
    I think if you met her you'd at least be a little perturbed (if also amused).

But yeah no seriously watch Slayers it is good.

16. - Top - End - #466

Posting this from bed, since my new job means I actually have to go to bed at a reasonable hour like a lame-o (read: like, an hour ago). I like to go to bed with background noise, so the TV always runs on low volume, the show varies. Recently I decided to get a few seasons of the greatest show ever, OG Law & Order. Haven't seen it on non-syndication in I don't even know how long.

But goddamn is it nice to hear the theme song not being sped up.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

IIRC Shadowrun 5e actually mentions that as something to take into account if you take the fame perk (it multiplies your income, so the character in question would need a reason to be 'running).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    IIRC Shadowrun 5e actually mentions that as something to take into account if you take the fame perk (it multiplies your income, so the character in question would need a reason to be 'running).
    I would presume for the shear thrill of it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's also why I liked 5e not giving a literal million nuyen in gear at the highest priority, although I can also never remember if a nuyen is meant to be closer to a dollar or a cent (although based on a soycaff costing five nuyen I'd go for the dollar). Of course, you're most likely to take that gear if you're a decker or Street Sam, which means you needed the gear to get the gear, so it does make sense for them to still be running (ou need to run to get money, you need the gear/cyber to do the run. you need the money to get the gear/cyber...).

I'm not a big fan of the changes 4e and later made to shadowrunning, promoting pink mohawk play as good practice. Not that it's a bad style, but to me the ideal for shadowrun has always been the middle ground style I think of as 'trenchcoat': you're eventually going to have to fight, but it's costly enough you'll do your best to avoid it and stick to nonlethal means.

I would presume for the shear thrill of it.
    Or to achieve some sort of goal, like with how your standard runner is looking to make enough money to get out of the lifestyle before they mortally retire. They're not going to do this forever, but they've got a problem that can't be solved legally, have friends they're trying to get out of the shadows, or need a lot of money incredibly quickly.

Man, I wish Shadowrun would just switch to a simpler system. I love the setting but, like with most games I own, getting people through character creation is a pain. I dropped 5e and went to 3e just to make it that bit simpler, and I still wish there was a better way to do gear.

It's like with Cyberpunk, I'd love to run the game but most people I could play with wouldn't want to wade through all the gear and cyber.

Next time I try to run either I'm just going to put together a bunch of pre-configured packages that players can mix and match if they want. Or just run it in Modern AGE or something (mental note: need Troll race).

Show

20. - Top - End - #470

I've got the opposite problem, I think.

I prefer rules-light/free form games, for the most part, becuase most of the characters I can think up are had to do in most defined systems, but...

I have an awful bit of trouble attracting people to games I run and a lot of them end up dead from lack of activity if they get started at all.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dunno. I have no musical talent, so the only thing I could do is be the front man for a punk rock band.

Fun fact: There is apparently a Finnish heavy metal band for kids called Hevisaurus.

To stick it to the MegaCorps of course!

22. - Top - End - #472

What's everyone's favorite kind of soda?

Like, I'm not picky when it comes to soda, I like most brands of cola, I like most root beers, I like grape soda, I love orange soda, I like lemon-lime sodas, but there's one...

It's a regional brand, I think. It's lime-based and the best way I can explain it is "liquid candy." You can only find it in the store at certain times a year but I honestly can't get enough of it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Like, I'm not picky when it comes to soda, I like most brands of cola, I like most root beers, I like grape soda, I love orange soda, I like lemon-lime sodas, but there's one...

It's a regional brand, I think. It's lime-based and the best way I can explain it is "liquid candy." You can only find it in the store at certain times a year but I honestly can't get enough of it.
    I like Jarritos. My favorite flavor is the tamarind, which I get isn't really for everyone. I also like grape soda. Specifically, the kind that tastes like cough syrup.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

It's been a while since I drank any, but I quite like ginger beer.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

I've got the opposite problem, I think.

I prefer rules-light/free form games, for the most part, becuase most of the characters I can think up are had to do in most defined systems, but...

I have an awful bit of trouble attracting people to games I run and a lot of them end up dead from lack of activity if they get started at all.
    It's less liking heavy systems (although I do like them), but more that my favourite settings tend to use heavy systems with complex character creation. As much as I love Wrath and Glor, it makes me wish it's character creation was as easy to do as Dark Heresy 1e.

It's what's made me like class/profession based character generation systems a lot more. It makes creating characters a lot easier than having to spend 200CP, and so even if progression is point-buy it still gets rid of that initial potentially hours-long per character hurdle of character generation.

But I do like lighter systems. I'm just bad at finding groups all-round.

Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Does Kombucha count as soda?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: What?
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Does Kombucha count as soda?
    I'm gonna say it's close enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: What?
    Show
    ...I can't tell if you're joking or not, but in the interest of full clarity.

Sweet Carbonated beverage usually made by combining a syrup of some kind with soda-water, hence the name.

Properly "Soda Pop," referred to colloquially as "soda," "pop" "fizzy drinks," "fountain drinks," or sometimes by a specific brand name--in some parts of the united sates, every brand and flavor of soda is a "Coke"

Originally used as a vehicle for medication(soda water buy itself being used to treat upset stomachs) before beginning to be used solely for the enjoyment of consuming them, leading to a situation where drug stores and pharmacies were the "popular hangout" spot for teens in the Us for a while becuase that was where the soda fountains were.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

...I can't tell if you're joking or not
    Spoiler: Let me explain
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm gonna say it's close enough.
    Ginger kombucha then. It's got a nice sharp tang flavor to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".