New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Its not the "I like researching lengthy minutae" part that I do not and never will get. It's the "it must be from this source and only this source. In the entire realm of things people made up, I will only accept things this very specific and particular small subset group made up."
    Because it doesn't work with Harry Potter, the Dresden Files, or Star Wars, Dragon Ball, Naruto, and Bleach all beat me to the punch in their own canons, Avatar doesn't give enough hints as to how stuff works, I don't have the body to pull off any of the really interesting stuff from Kill La Kill, having a Gundam or Gunman would be impractical, and DC comics retcons itself often enough that other that it's too hard to keep the rules straight.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Its not the "I like researching lengthy minutae" part that I do not and never will get. It's the "it must be from this source and only this source. In the entire realm of things people made up, I will only accept things this very specific and particular small subset group made up."
    I admit it is one of the weirder things I find about Rater, and I roleplay with the guy on a regular basis. I think he is just a very focused Marvel/comic books geek. its the kind of continuity thats really hard to get into and spans literal decades of constant writing, so it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't as knowledgeable about things outside of it (though he is just as rigorous when it comes to Naruto at least) due to the higher barrier of entry. personally I wish I could read what he would think of Cosmere magic systems, those are practically designed to combined and exploited while all being in the same continuity, and is home to at least a few immortals who got where they were by exploiting completely mortal magic systems without becoming the cosmere's version of a god.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #843

Also, honestly, Marvel has a dozen different processes that would reliably fix most or all of my problems with my body and aren't unreasonably difficult to get.

Other settings I enjoy maybe have some fixes for some of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I admit it is one of the weirder things I find about Rater, and I roleplay with the guy on a regular basis. I think he is just a very focused Marvel/comic books geek. its the kind of continuity thats really hard to get into and spans literal decades of constant writing, so it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't as knowledgeable about things outside of it (though he is just as rigorous when it comes to Naruto at least) due to the higher barrier of entry. personally I wish I could read what he would think of Cosmere magic systems, those are practically designed to combined and exploited while all being in the same continuity, and is home to at least a few immortals who got where they were by exploiting completely mortal magic systems without becoming the cosmere's version of a god.
    1: I'd need to familiarize myself with an entire setting.

2: Sounds like I've been beaten to the punch.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-01-15 at 10:47 PM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1: I'd need to familiarize myself with an entire setting.

2: Sounds like I've been beaten to the punch.
    1. yeah but its a really cool setting with some good stories in it that aren't the marvel heroes repeating their thing for the Nth time.

2. Yeah but its still a continuity with very self-consistent magic systems designed to be exploited and figured out in a rational manner for nerds like us rather than a bunch of half-baked explanations that your just supposed to nod your head at so you can get back to the cool superhero action, which aren't designed for nerds like us.

5. - Top - End - #845

1. yeah but its a really cool setting with some good stories in it that aren't the marvel heroes repeating their thing for the Nth time.

2. Yeah but its still a continuity with very self-consistent magic systems designed to be exploited and figured out in a rational manner for nerds like us rather than a bunch of half-baked explanations that your just supposed to nod your head at so you can get back to the cool superhero action, which aren't designed for nerds like us.
    The setting being designed for it just... Makes it seem like the whole thing was already figured out and the stories are just about people building to it.

Like, take Dragon Ball... Pretty much everything is already figured out. The munchkin thing to do is to make a Cell or Android 21 out of the cells of the people who have the powers you want.

With Naruto it's pretty much the exact same thing. Kabuto's cell grafting technique--which is basically just Cell with extra steps, mind you--by combining the cells of Orochimaru, Karin, Jugo, Kimmimaro, Kidomaru, Jirobo, Tuyuya, Sakon, and Ukon he was able to master and improve upon Sage Mode, become unable to be defeated in physical combat, and managed to almost replicate Hagoromo's unique chakra despite using only one of Hagoromo's confirmed descendants who was not a reincarnate of either Asura nor Indra while also stating that he was going to keep modifying himself--he had plans to incorporate the cells of a Zetsu and from Sasuke at the very least.

What you're telling me about Comsere just feels like more of the same.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

The setting being designed for it just... Makes it seem like the whole thing was already figured out and the stories are just about people building to it.

Like, take Dragon Ball... Pretty much everything is already figured out. The munchkin thing to do is to make a Cell or Android 21 out of the cells of the people who have the powers you want.

With Naruto it's pretty much the exact same thing. Kabuto's cell grafting technique--which is basically just Cell with extra steps, mind you--by combining the cells of Orochimaru, Karin, Jugo, Kimmimaro, Kidomaru, Jirobo, Tuyuya, Sakon, and Ukon he was able to master and improve upon Sage Mode, become unable to be defeated in physical combat, and managed to almost replicate Hagoromo's unique chakra despite using only one of Hagoromo's confirmed descendants who was not a reincarnate of either Asura nor Indra while also stating that he was going to keep modifying himself--he had plans to incorporate the cells of a Zetsu and from Sasuke at the very least.

What you're telling me about Comsere just feels like more of the same.
    Not really. Not at all, Dragon Ball is something written by seat of a guy's pants for action. nothing about it is figured out. Cell's schtick is something made up after two other villain ideas (19 and 20, then 17 and 18) were rejected by an editor. its an excuse to combines all the heroes powers for a fight. not something intricately figured out.

Naruto? Not really. again what your talking about superhero stuff designed to make for a good exciting fight, the system not being well thought out to get there. and Naruto has some retcons to it.

Cosmere stuff makes those two look lazy. Cosmere stuff is built to make a world and requires people to use science and logic that the reader can follow to figure out on page. not fake anime science done offscreen that amounts "he did a thing, now all the powers are combined".

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Not really. Not at all, Dragon Ball is something written by seat of a guy's pants for action. nothing about it is figured out.
    Dragin Ball Z. Dragon Ball is very different (and better).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #848

Not really. Not at all, Dragon Ball is something written by seat of a guy's pants for action. nothing about it is figured out. Cell's schtick is something made up after two other villain ideas (19 and 20, then 17 and 18) were rejected by an editor. its an excuse to combines all the heroes powers for a fight. not something intricately figured out.

Naruto? Not really. again what your talking about superhero stuff designed to make for a good exciting fight, the system not being well thought out to get there. and Naruto has some retcons to it.
    The "here's how to exploit the powers of the setting to give yourself a perfect body and do all kinds of cool crap" of the settings is already figured out.

Cosmere stuff makes those two look lazy. Cosmere stuff is built to make a world and requires people to use science and logic that the reader can follow to figure out on page. not fake anime science done offscreen that amounts "he did a thing, now all the powers are combined".
    And for my own personal fantasies, I'd prefer to figure it out myself instead of following someone else's instructions--even in the Naruto roleplay, Senko mostly only works because she doesn't know the end result she's going for, doesn't have my metaknowledge, and isn't doing it for the reasons I'm doing it I'd have done it. She's an exploration of the setting mechanics rather than a power fantasy.
    Dragin Ball Z. Dragon Ball is very different (and better).
    No such distinction is made by the Author. In the manga, everything from Bulma shooting the weird monke boy to Goku flying off with Uub was one continuous serialization.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-01-15 at 11:35 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

The "here's how to exploit the powers of the setting to give yourself a perfect body and do all kinds of cool crap" of the settings is already figured out.

And for my own personal fantasies, I'd prefer to figure it out myself instead of following someone else's instructions--even in the Naruto roleplay, Senko mostly only works because she doesn't know the end result she's going for, doesn't have my metaknowledge, and isn't doing it for the reasons I'm doing it I'd have done it. She's an exploration of the setting mechanics rather than a power fantasy.
    I mean the steps for those are:
    1. find these pieces
    2. do something that only Kabuto/Orochimaru/Dr. Gero knows how to do to combine these which they never shared with anyone because they're clearly thin excuses for cool high end anime fight.
    3. Profit

so not really all that interesting, because there isn't an actual system to it. they just introduce a bunch of unique powers they pretend are their own little thing then combine them haphazardly and pretend as if they fit together all along. personally I'm more of a mind that a setting should explain the mechanics better than that.

No such distinction is made by the Author. In the manga, everything from Bulma shooting the weird monke boy to Goku flying off with Uub was one continuous serialization.
    Moreover, Toriyama used to be a gag manga author. he outright admitted he never planned things in advance much, he just writes things like super saiyan or senzu beans because they're convenient for this or that.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-01-15 at 11:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, finally got my new avatar working. Gonna get the background fixed, since the whitespace looks ugly.

Also got my Twitter set up so it's easier for me to share pics of minis I paint.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-01-15 at 11:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

Yee gads. I don't understand how y'all can just keep doing all that power fantasy everything for pages and not just have your eyes glaze over.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #852

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yee gads. I don't understand how y'all can just keep doing all that power fantasy everything for pages and not just have your eyes glaze over.
    Because it's how my brain is wired.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    its like drinking alcohol, you acquire a resistance.

*leans on a table, looks at camera* I don't always power fantasy, but when I do, I do with it my good friend Rater. Remember: Power Fantasy Responsibly. Stay creative my friends.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-01-16 at 01:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #854

*leans on a table, looks at camera* I don't always power fantasy, but when I do, I do with it my good friend Rater. Remember: Power Fantasy Responsibly. Stay creative my friends.
    Spoiler
    Show

This is pretty much me.

For example: A while back--2018 or 2019--I'm asleep and I'm having a dream. I'm back in one of the apartments I lived in between fifth grade and freshman year of high school, and a passage from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark of the scarecrow Harold stretching out the skin of a man to tan into leather starts playing in the back of my head while I'm walking around the apartment. It stops, I go into the bathroom and start washing my hands in the bathroom sink, then the shower curtain gets pulled back, a scarecrow who my brain identifies as Harold but who looks nothing like the illustration of Harold jumps out at me, pins me to the ground, and yells "give me your shadow" in a voice that I'm pretty sure I've heard in a cartoon but I can't tell yu wear from, and then I wake up and say, out loud, "what the hell was that?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

I once dreamt I was late for work only to wake up to find myself late for work. I've decided I prefer my regular state of not dreaming.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

First snow of the year! It's not going to hold, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I once dreamt I was late for work only to wake up to find myself late for work. I've decided I prefer my regular state of not dreaming.
    Once when I was little, I dreamt I had to go to school: got dressed, ate breakfast, took my backpack walked all the way to school and then I woke up and I had to go to school a second time in the same day. I was so pissed.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post

Once when I was little, I dreamt I had to go to school: got dressed, ate breakfast, took my backpack walked all the way to school and then I woke up and I had to go to school a second time in the same day. I was so pissed.
    Those are the worst dreams.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are the worst dreams.
    Especially for you, I'm sure.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tsk, what good is power if you can't go mad with it?

Prophetic dreams! Clearly you are oracles!

I dislike it when my dreams are relatively normal and/or my brain decides to insert real people into them, especially if its friends or co-workers. It unnerves me a little to see reality and dream blend together like that. Just give me the really weird and outlandish stuff. Those are fun. I think I prefer even nightmares over the 'normal' dreams.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

I got tested for covid on Thursday evening - got a negative result back on Friday at 3am. Phew!

It's been super snowy in Finland. We had a pretty serious case of almost 48 hours non stop snow, so snow ploughers had to do multiple rounds a day. Now that I'm thinking about it, if I got myself a sled I could easily sled down one of the huge snow piles gathered by my building...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

The worst part was that I only got breakfast the first time I went to work.

So lockdown is highly unlikely to end before valentine's Day, anybody got recommendations for doing something for it virtually? I'd need to start planning within the next week or so or I'll never get it sorted in time.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Update, it actually hasn't stopped snowing since and we now have a three-centimeter layer of snow. Nice.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #863
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

... And? That doesn't change the fact that under-18 Goku had the series built more towards comedy and adventure and over-18 Goku had the series geared more towards power creep, and dramatic fight storylines with world-busting stakes. Even considering them as the same series, the focus and direction shift radically, which was my point. Toriyama's belief on whether it was one series or two is irrelevant.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #864

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Prophetic dreams! Clearly you are oracles!
    The term we use around here is future psychic. Because Elan needs to be right once in a while.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The term we use around here is future psychic. Because Elan needs to be right once in a while.
    No, no, no, future psychic reads somebody's future mind, it's a subset of oracles.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking of changing my legal name, or rather adding a couple of new, feminine, middle names. I can get the two signatures needed with some messages and a train ticket or two after lockdown ends, so really the only issue is 'do I want it on public record, and thus more enforceable, or am I find with just legally changing my name'.

To those more used to other countries, legally changing your name here is easy and free (there's a cost to getting it on public record, which is useful but not required, but it costs less than a new AAA video game), all you need is a document with the right wording and two witnesses. The main reason to Friday in prepping it is to make sure I pick the right names for girl mode.

Show

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

I dislike it when my dreams are relatively normal and/or my brain decides to insert real people into them, especially if its friends or co-workers. It unnerves me a little to see reality and dream blend together like that. Just give me the really weird and outlandish stuff. Those are fun. I think I prefer even nightmares over the 'normal' dreams.
    That's... pretty much all of my dreams. They tend to involve a familiar or at least recognizable setting, sometimes family members, and then the weird stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I got tested for covid on Thursday evening - got a negative result back on Friday at 3am. Phew!

It's been super snowy in Finland. We had a pretty serious case of almost 48 hours non stop snow, so snow ploughers had to do multiple rounds a day. Now that I'm thinking about it, if I got myself a sled I could easily sled down one of the huge snow piles gathered by my building...
    Yay negative test! And, yeesh, that's a lot of snow. We didn't get much this year (so far), but it was dense and heavy enough to take down a small tree in our front yard.

Thinking of changing my legal name, or rather adding a couple of new, feminine, middle names. I can get the two signatures needed with some messages and a train ticket or two after lockdown ends, so really the only issue is 'do I want it on public record, and thus more enforceable, or am I find with just legally changing my name'.

To those more used to other countries, legally changing your name here is easy and free (there's a cost to getting it on public record, which is useful but not required, but it costs less than a new AAA video game), all you need is a document with the right wording and two witnesses. The main reason to Friday in prepping it is to make sure I pick the right names for girl mode.
    Hope that goes well, whichever you decide to go with!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there a reason not to have put on public record? I'm guessing cost doesn't really factor into it.

29. - Top - End - #869

Well, public records are searchable by the public. So that may be a thing to avoid, given the first part of their handle is Anonymous.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a reason not to have put on public record? I'm guessing cost doesn't really factor into it.
    No reason, but no pressing need to, so I can wait until I have a better paid job and nearly £50 isn't the better part of a week's budget. Like once there's and actual need to it's a small price to pay, but it's too much to spend on something with no immediate benefit until I'm earning a better wage.

Show