New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I recently had this come up where a woman spent quite a lot of energy making sure I was safe and wouldn't be physical with her, and then was put out by me not wanting to be physical early on.
    Ah, that sucks. It's frustrating when double standards come up - especially ones that're often societally driven, but even just in general. You should be willing to extend the same courtesy to others as you expect for yourself. Like, I 100% support her choice in not wanting to jump into anything, but... she should have been understanding that you may have wanted the same for yourself, not jumping into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Oh, true. The only downside that I have with skirts is that they turn knickers from optional to required. Otherwise they're great, I just don't clothing shop enough in general to have got around to picking them up.

But women's trousers should definitely be a bit looser if it means functional pockets. I swear the lack of them is half the reason why one of my partners wears men's trousers. The other half seems to be a ixture of cut and tightness.
    Just get skirts with built in shorts.
    (I know that's the only reason that I wear my miniskirt. Because it comes with a nice discreet shorts component built in. I don't want to fall a victim of embarrassment on an abruptly windy day.)

Kilts at least have been popular here at some points, but here being Portland it doesn't necessarily apply anywhere else.
    Psh, Portland being different? Perish the thought.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Ah, that sucks. It's frustrating when double standards come up - especially ones that're often societally driven, but even just in general. You should be willing to extend the same courtesy to others as you expect for yourself. Like, I 100% support her choice in not wanting to jump into anything, but... she should have been understanding that you may have wanted the same for yourself, not jumping into anything.

Psh, Portland being different? Perish the thought.
    I get it, she's worried about assault and I'm not so it feels like disinterest. There's also bound to be a decent number of guys who said they want to take it slow trying to get an opening, but it is very frustrating to be open about it and having the other person totally misunderstand.

Oh lordy, Portland. One time I applied for a job at the NAACP and went in a suit. I was interviewed by a man in sandals and a hoody and another interviewee told me I looked like a used car salesman. It's a very odd place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

On clothes: This is one of the reasons I want a Marvel Comics style symbiote.

As long as you don't run into intense fire or sounds loud enough to be harmful to humans, you don't have to worry about clothes anymore.

Just will the symbiote into the shape of whatever outfit you want without the time or hassle of having to get ready the hard way and without any needless discomfort.

(Also, they remove the need for pockets. Just store all the stuff you need in the symbiote.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Just get skirts with built in shorts.
    (I know that's the only reason that I wear my miniskirt. Because it comes with a nice discreet shorts component built in. I don't want to fall a victim of embarrassment on an abruptly windy day.)
    I mean, it's certainly a solution, and on windy days probably the most socially acceptable. Also probably what I'll end up doing next time I'm clothes shopping.

I get it, she's worried about assault and I'm not so it feels like disinterest. There's also bound to be a decent number of guys who said they want to take it slow trying to get an opening, but it is very frustrating to be open about it and having the other person totally misunderstand.
    I feel like people need to be more open about this stuff, and stop thinking that women actively asking for intimacy as a taboo.

Like, I've only dated a handful of people, but whether we're going to do that yet is something that was talked about early on, just so there's no misunderstandings.

... anybody else ever had that fantasy where humans being intersex and nonbinary was common and accepted? Or is this just me being weird?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's what I was meaning about societal expectations. It sucks in all directions. We shouldn't have to worry about people taking advantage of us, or forcing onto us. But people should realize that men (and others) can have the same things happen to them, too! And just the expectations of what each box of people wants is supremely generalized. It's super frustrating, even from someone who's never really managed to properly step foot into the dating world.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

... anybody else ever had that fantasy where humans being intersex and nonbinary was common and accepted? Or is this just me being weird?
    Not personally. If I had shapeshifting I'd be okay with it, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be full female.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's a mood. Doesn't help that I'm constantly worrying that I'm bothering them, or that what I know are my weaknesses are annoying them and they're just humouring me, and... yeah, it spirals. I'm really just an inoffensive side friend. So I get clingy. >.>;
    Oh yeah. That sounds familiar. What I've found out about myself is that I have a poor understanding of why I keep people at arm's length. It might be out of respect for boundaries that I know are present, but I can't see. It might be because I don't understand how to be close with people.

Oh lordy, Portland. One time I applied for a job at the NAACP and went in a suit. I was interviewed by a man in sandals and a hoody and another interviewee told me I looked like a used car salesman. It's a very odd place.
    Not to dive too deep into Northwest stereotypes, but flannel shirts and jeans work well for most social encounters. At least in my experience. Though maybe not job interviews.

No, I've had that fantasy too.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oh, true. The only downside that I have with skirts is that they turn knickers from optional to required.
    Assuming I have my British terminology right.... Speak for yourself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, that's what I was meaning about societal expectations. It sucks in all directions. We shouldn't have to worry about people taking advantage of us, or forcing onto us. But people should realize that men (and others) can have the same things happen to them, too! And just the expectations of what each box of people wants is supremely generalized. It's super frustrating, even from someone who's never really managed to properly step foot into the dating world.
    It's rough for sure. I think there is some movement in the right direction, but I'm fairly certain I will age into senile bachelorism before then :P

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Not to dive too deep into Northwest stereotypes, but flannel shirts and jeans work well for most social encounters. At least in my experience. Though maybe not job interviews.
    That was my outerwear for most of my life, full hiking boots and all. Flannels are fairly informal though, I prefer feeling a little more dressed up for a professional interview. Now I really do dress like a used cars salesman, so you know, progress.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-12-21 at 03:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Not personally. If I had shapeshifting I'd be okay with it, but if I had to pick one thing, it would be full female.
    Like, common is not universal.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go for it if I had the option, but common is not universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Unfortunately I have no horde of natives which I desire to scare off
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Oh yeah. That sounds familiar. What I've found out about myself is that I have a poor understanding of why I keep people at arm's length. It might be out of respect for boundaries that I know are present, but I can't see. It might be because I don't understand how to be close with people.
    I know I'm rarely able to tell exactly how someone feels about me. So I consistently worry about just... crossing a boundary of being too close. Of using a nickname that friends use... but what if I'm not there? Of just assuming that they actually want to talk to me about random stuff, assuming I ever think of any. Stuff like that.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Flannels are fairly informal though, I prefer feeling a little more dressed up for a professional interview. Now I really do dress like a used cars salesman, so you know, progress.

Spoiler
    Show

You do have a really nice lumberjack groove going there... what even is lumberjack formal?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You do have a really nice lumberjack groove going there... what even is lumberjack formal?
    Timberjeeves? Woodobson?

Barksdale seems to fit too well.

I know I'm rarely able to tell exactly how someone feels about me. So I consistently worry about just... crossing a boundary of being too close. Of using a nickname that friends use... but what if I'm not there? Of just assuming that they actually want to talk to me about random stuff, assuming I ever think of any. Stuff like that.
    Earlier I didn't post a sentence about how if someone doesn't complain to me about their personal problems after a while I just assume we are acquaintances. We all have dumb, borderline unacceptable opinions and petty problems; if someone never expresses those then I just think they are being polite. On the other hand, if they start on those on the first and second meeting I feel like they are forcing intimacy.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-12-21 at 05:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Earlier I didn't post a sentence about how if someone doesn't complain to me about their personal problems after a while I just assume we are acquaintances. We all have dumb, borderline unacceptable opinions and petty problems; if someone never expresses those then I just think they are being polite. On the other hand, if they start on those on the first and second meeting I feel like they are forcing intimacy.
    Yeah. I get it.

...I must admit to have never really had a 'best friend', at least not one that was mutual. I was always the inoffensive "there" acquaintance. So, it was always envious, hearing stories from other girls of just... staying up for hours, listening to someone's problems. Or being the first one to know of anything important happening in someone's life. Just being the person willing to bother you at all hours.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Earlier I didn't post a sentence about how if someone doesn't complain to me about their personal problems after a while I just assume we are acquaintances. We all have dumb, borderline unacceptable opinions and petty problems; if someone never expresses those then I just think they are being polite.
    Boy, I sure hope none of my friends have this criteria. I don't share my personal problems with friends, doesn't mean I value them any less or care less about them-- that's just not how I am. I'm sure that goes for plenty of other people too.

Re: dressing fancy for work-- one of my favorite work moments from the past couple of years was rolling up to the office I'd recently joined at the time wearing cowboy boots. They're what I wear almost all the time outside of work anyway, but it was the first time I'd shown up to that office wearing them instead of the usual boring dress shoes, so I figured there was a solid risk of being told they weren't appropriate for the office. Instead, when my boss saw them, she immediately started talking with me about the finer points of cowboy boot care and preferred brands. I haven't worn dress shoes since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah. I get it.

...I must admit to have never really had a 'best friend', at least not one that was mutual. I was always the inoffensive "there" acquaintance. So, it was always envious, hearing stories from other girls of just... staying up for hours, listening to someone's problems. Or being the first one to know of anything important happening in someone's life. Just being the person willing to bother you at all hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Boy, I sure hope none of my friends have this criteria. I don't share my personal problems with friends, doesn't mean I value them any less or care less about them-- that's just not how I am. I'm sure that goes for plenty of other people too.

Re: dressing fancy for work-- one of my favorite work moments from the past couple of years was rolling up to the office I'd recently joined at the time wearing cowboy boots. They're what I wear almost all the time outside of work anyway, but it was the first time I'd shown up to that office wearing them instead of the usual boring dress shoes, so I figured there was a solid risk of being told they weren't appropriate for the office. Instead, when my boss saw them, she immediately started talking with me about the finer points of cowboy boot care and preferred brands. I haven't worn dress shoes since.
    My Foot in Mouth Disease is acting up again, sorry. I wasn't trying to imply I had the right of it, just giving my particular experience.

Nice! I wish hiking boots were dress shoes, they are so much more comfortable! I already take tennis shoes to drive to and from work with, because thick soled shoes make driving a pain.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

My Foot in Mouth Disease is acting up again, sorry. I wasn't trying to imply I had the right of it, just giving my particular experience.
    Nah, all good. I figured you were just speaking your own opinion. And not a One Universal Experience. Just how your own brain works.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Careful now, mods are meant to be the ones hitting people with giant hammers, not the other way around.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #79

So, when it comes to meatloaf there are two main camps: Serve it with gravy, or apply a ketchup-based glaze to it.

I mostly prefer to serve it with gravy, but for the last couple of days, I've been wondering if my homemade barbecue sauce could be adapted into a glaze and if that would work.

My family has experimented with cooking meatballs in (storebought)barbecue sauce and that goes well, so in theory it would turn out, but sometimes things you think would go well together don't.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So, when it comes to meatloaf there are two main camps
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    If the purpose of your punnery was to invoke my hatred, you have succeeded.

More than you could ever possibly realize.

There are approximately ten-billion miles of genetic code in microscopic bundles in the cells that make up my body.

If the word "HATE" was engraved on every nanoangstrom of those thousands of millions of miles, it would not equal one one-billionth of the hatred I feel for you at this micro instant.

(/s, if it has to be said.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #82

Sounds like you're all revved up with no place to go.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Why would you pour gravy on meatloaf?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #84

Why would you pour gravy on meatloaf?
    Darn it, I was hoping to get a third song title in before we got interrupted. Oh well, I guess two out of three ain't bad.

25. - Top - End - #85

Darn it, I was hoping to get a third song title in before we got interrupted. Oh well, I guess two out of three ain't bad.
    Okay, I'm gonna be honest, the joke is actually annoying me a bit.

Please desist before I am forced to chase you down with a speed that is like a bat out of hell.

In Marvel Comics, there is a race of aliens called the Ovoids who, after having somehow been rendered unable to reproduce, developed 1: The technology to create cloned bodies that were stable and functional, but did not possess consciousness or anything that would be recognizable as a "soul,"and 2: A psionic technique that allows one to transfer their soul and consciousness into another body.

The combination of this technology and this technique allowed them to avoid extinction through functional immortality: When they get too old, come down with a terminal illness, or so on they just hop into a new body.

The cloned bodies being inherent without minds or souls is important--not only for ethical reasons but because a native mind or soul is capable of fighting back and successful transfer puts the victim in your original body.

While the technique--the Ovoid Mind Switch--is psionic in nature, one does not need to be natively psychic to learn how it's done: Both Doctor Doom and She-Hulk have been taught how to do it(though She-Hulk's powers interfere with the process)

I've spent time on and off for the last few months wondering how to make the optimal "host body," as the host body does not have to match your original(Doom uses it all the time to borrow other people's bodies as part of one scheme or another, though it occasionally backfires.)

The best I can think of is to try and combine the Ovoid's cloning technology with the technology and procedures that created Xraven, but that's assuming that you can get a piece of a symbiote and six samples that would play well together.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #86

So, when it comes to meatloaf there are two main camps: Serve it with gravy, or apply a ketchup-based glaze to it.

I mostly prefer to serve it with gravy, but for the last couple of days, I've been wondering if my homemade barbecue sauce could be adapted into a glaze and if that would work.

My family has experimented with cooking meatballs in (storebought)barbecue sauce and that goes well, so in theory it would turn out, but sometimes things you think would go well together don't.
    Literally nothing about this sounds like it could go bad, so good luck!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. I feel like that a lot too.

28. - Top - End - #88

bat out of hell
    I'm going slightly mad.

29. - Top - End - #89

I am the very model of a modern major general.

*if this is to continue, however, t'wood be best to start a forum game thread methinks*

I got the Dresden Files novel Peace Talks back in July but I only just got around to reading it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #90

Live action Neon Genesis Evangelion

WARNING: MASSIVE spoilers if you haven't watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series.