New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Animal Crossing is also on:
    Nintendo 64 (Japan only)
    GameCube (Enhanced N64 version, worldwide including Japan)
    Wii
    Wii U
    DS
    3DS

If you have any of those, you can experience an earlier version of the series.

There's also a version on iOS and Android. It's very cut down, very heavy on micro-transactions. Not recommended.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Enderlord's Random Banter #230 (Friendly warning: Might teleport. Don't get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    There's also a version on iOS and Android. It's very cut down, very heavy on micro-transactions. Not recommended.
    Who taught Tom Nook how to use dev apps?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

So, a thing my family buys sometimes are basically breaded/battered balls of goat cheese that you fry or cook in the oven. They come with a cheesy marinara sauce so they're a bit like mozzarella sticks but goat cheese instead of mozzarella.

You bite into them, and it doesn't really taste anything like "cheese" in my mind, a bit sour... honestly, my first thought trying them was "I don't like this..." until I found myself eating more despite myself and now it's grown on me and I can't explain why I like them.

Anyone else have a food like that?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So, a thing my family buys sometimes are basically breaded/battered balls of goat cheese that you fry or cook in the oven. They come with a cheesy marinara sauce so they're a bit like mozzarella sticks but goat cheese instead of mozzarella.

You bite into them, and it doesn't really taste anything like "cheese" in my mind, a bit sour... honestly, my first thought trying them was "I don't like this..." until I found myself eating more despite myself and now it's grown on me and I can't explain why I like them.

Anyone else have a food like that?
    IIRC traditional mozzarella is made with goat milk! Just a fun fact there. I don't think it's really that easy to find outside of Italy, though.

Anyway, yeah. Guthrie's sauce. Every thing I dip my fries in it I'm like, "i don't know if I like this. Not sure. Don't think so. Nah, not too good." By which point every gry has been dipped and the fry box and sauce are both empty.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think Nintendo has ever put out a game on more than one platform but I could be wrong.
    Twilight Princess, IIRC.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Twilight Princess, IIRC.
    And Breath of the Wild.

But that isn't what he meant, those are just different generations of Nintendo consoles. Nintendo made games don't appear on non-Nintendo consoles (except for some iOS/Android games).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

I put it off to read Initial Sparks, since I was participating in Fury's book club thread at the time and then just didn't get around to reading the Dresden novel.
    I'm late to the party on this one, but thanks again for doing that. You added a lot to that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think what I'm gathering here is that if I wanted to do a TTRPG in my book's setting, I should extend my horrifying mindflayer ass graspers at Rater and Raziere

Batman Beyond is the best, and Mark Hamil's work in Batman Beyond is his best work.
    Aw, man. Now I'm imagining what I would play in your book's setting. Probably token vanilla human in way over their head.

"Oh no! There's an aeromancer leading those ONY operatives!"

"Yeah, and we know that there's mnemonic puppets out there somewhere! What do we do, Fury?"

"I don't know! I'm just an ordinary person!"

As long as we're talking about Mark Hamill playing The Joker, my favorite still has to be Mask of The Phantasm. While his scenes in Return of The Joker were undoubtedly some of the darkest the character has ever been, Mask of The Phantasm had some scenes where he seemed threatening, then amiable, then... terrifying.

For real though, Batman Beyond was rad as hell.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I'm late to the party on this one, but thanks again for doing that. You added a lot to that thread.
    Yeah. Was fun.

I'm probably gonna go through Initial Sparks again at some point. See if there are any minor details I missed. Maybe fill out the Trope page more.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. Was fun.

I'm probably gonna go through Initial Sparks again at some point. See if there are any minor details I missed. Maybe fill out the Trope page more.
    Yeah, I really ought to add some stuff to the Tropes page too. There really ought to be a YMMV subpage. There's some stuff in there that qualifies as Nightmare Fuel in my opinion.

I'll definitely reread Initial Sparks at least once before Hidden Embers comes out.

10. - Top - End - #220

...Zodi?

So I actually got a bit...

Spoiler: Possible Spoiler's for Zodi's book
    Show
    Was Rei's home city being called "Laketown" a Tolkien reference?

Becuase, if so... That's a concerning reference to make when the protagonist has power over fire and a personality best described as being "fire incarnate."

...And now I'm imagining Rei as a dragon and it fits with what I recall of her character.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

God, I had trouble reading it because of people at work talking and so never finished the first chapter. Sorry Zodi! (At least you still have my money. Unless you spent it.)

I really need to get back to writing. Get one of these story ideas down on paper, or actually finish one of my games (Intelligent Hamsters from Beyond the Stars is looking the mopst promising, mainly because I've written about 80% of the rules and the rest is setting, advice, and linking text).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    If you're looking for cyberpunk, or perhaps dystopian cyberpunk specifically, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the shadowrun returns RPGs. Deadman's switch, Dragonfall and Hong Kong are all very good. Crapsack world, megacorps exploiting people for profit, mercenary work for and against megacorps, sci-fi, it's cyberpunk to a T.
    Is there non-dystopian cyberpunk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Sure, the Outher Rim of Star Wars galaxy.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

...Zodi?

So I actually got a bit...

Spoiler: Possible Spoiler's for Zodi's book
    Show
    Was Rei's home city being called "Laketown" a Tolkien reference?

Becuase, if so... That's a concerning reference to make when the protagonist has power over fire and a personality best described as being "fire incarnate."

...And now I'm imagining Rei as a dragon and it fits with what I recall of her character.
    Spoiler: Zodi's book stuff
    Show
    It seems like it might be a somewhat oblique reference to Tolkien. Rei has personality traits that are like fire, sure. Though I don't see her as deliberately destructive, so she could be like a dragon I suppose. She's definitely no Smaug though.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC traditional mozzarella is made with goat milk! Just a fun fact there. I don't think it's really that easy to find outside of Italy, though.
    Mozzarella is made with goat cheese but it is not, by any metric, traditional. It's actually fairly recent. Traditional mozzarealla is either fior di latte which is unpasteurized cow's milk or buffalo mozzarella which is made from the Italian Buffalo, a type of water buffalo.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There is less dystopian cyberpunk, and there is also post-cyberpunk. You can argue both for and against the latter being it's own genre, and how integral the notion of dystopia is to cyberpunk.

But at the very least there are stories that take cyberpunk ideas and run in not entirely dystopian directions with them. The book Altered Carbon is halfway there, Snow Crash presents a relatively soft vision of your classic cyberpunk world structure (weakened government+strengthened corporations), and various other examples that slip my mind right now. You've also got TTRPG settings like Transhuman Space and Eclipse Phase that include strong cyberpunk elements but fall all over the place on the utopia-dystopia scale.

It all depends on what you count as cyberpunk. The historical roots of the genre go back at least decades before Neuromancer, I'd personally argue that Caves of Steel (a very idealistic novel with a society not meant to be dystopian or utopian) is an example of proto-cyberpunk (but YMMV). It's all a case of perspective and personal definitions.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #227

Me when I was in an apartment: "Man, this is bull. I spend all this money and at the end of the day I don't own anything. Whenever I decide to leave, I get none of that money back. I need a house."
    Me now that I own a house: "...I miss when literally everything was 'not my ****ing problem.'"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Me when I was in an apartment: "Man, this is bull. I spend all this money and at the end of the day I don't own anything. Whenever I decide to leave, I get none of that money back. I need a house."
    Me now that I own a house: "...I miss when literally everything was 'not my ****ing problem.'"

Still worth it to not hear every footsteps of your neighbors @Peelee
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, the Outer Rim of Star Wars galaxy.
    Well Outer Rim technically thats really a space western mixed with mafia stories and pirate stories so.....kind of three different genres there. like Star Wars is basically a mix of space pulp genres that probably have nothing to with cyberpunk.

also, Nar Shadda disagrees and says its a total dystopia.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Oh, I don't regret a thing. But I do miss that feeling. Nobody ever tells you that with the house comes a free Sword of Damocles.

Well Outer Rim technically thats really a space western mixed with mafia stories and pirate stories so.....kind of three different genres there. like Star Wars is basically a mix of space pulp genres that probably have nothing to with cyberpunk.

also, Nar Shadda disagrees and says its a total dystopia.
    Hutt Space is not dystopian at all. Heck, if anything, Hutt Space is even more non-dystopian cyberpunk (Nar Shadaa being a pinnacle of it).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-26 at 09:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Hutt Space is not dystopian at all. Heck, if anything, Hutt Space is even more non-dystopian cyberpunk (Nar Shadaa being a pinnacle of it).
    again, three different genres of space pulp mixed together: actual cyberpunk doesn't allow you find a ship and go found a new colony on the frontier or travel around to better planets, thats more of a space western thing. cyberpunk is all about the fact that you can't really escape it.

also what are you talking about, Nar Shadaa is literally a city of urban decay run by crime lords with poor people who if they get a credit will get mugged for that credit if you give it to them. it is the most wretched of hives where desperation, scum and villainy are all that you'll find. it is a dystopia, just because its in Star Wars noblebright space pulp fantasy where you can get on your ship and take off to visit some paradise doesn't mean it isn't.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    While I am a while away from having to deal with home vs. an apartment, my issue is that I both would love just a small little area to call my own (like I like large apartment sizes for the most part), and roughly a ****ton of land (I live in the Prairies, we have the room) so that my only sign of neighbors is chimney smoke.

This problem can be solved with a small house on a lot of land, but that requires a lot of money that I am in no position to have.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: EDIT: The following has been Officially Approved as within the rules
    Show
    It is my understanding that when Peelee says something that is not true, it is almost always an attempt to be funny.
    Hutt Space is not dystopian at all.
    This was clearly an attempt to make everyone laugh until they pass unconscious from lack of oxygen. It didn't work. I'm someone, and I barely giggled.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-27 at 12:21 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, okay. sorry I didn't get the joke?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, okay. sorry I didn't get the joke?
    Do you mean the "say something outrageous"-joke Peelee was probably making or the "observe a phenomenon and extrapolate with more detail than optimal"-joke?

I don't actually think that the less true something Peelee says is, the funnier he's trying to be; it seems more of a boolean "IF:THEN" than a scalar gradient.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-27 at 02:50 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Do you mean the "say something outrageous"-joke Peelee was probably making or the "observe a phenomenon and extrapolate with more detail than optimal"-joke?

I don't actually think that the less true something Peelee says is, the funnier he's trying to be; it seems more of a boolean "IF:THEN" than a scalar gradient.
    I don't know, I'm just apologizing in general.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry that you feel like you have to do that.

Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm sorry that you feel like you have to do that.
    ...as am I.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, an honourary Canadian! Step right over here. You can get your hockey stick and pet moose on your right, and over on the left here are your extraneous 'u's. The maple syrup fountain is up ahead.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

You monster.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.