Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default (IC) HtV STL by Night

Act 1 Scene i

"'Tis now the very witching time of night,
    When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes
    Out contagion to this world."

-William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“I feel the darkness near me; I feel the light shining. And more keenly I feel the contrast between the two.”
    ― Anne Rice, The Witching Hour

Frank and Jennifer sat in silence as their car trundled through the dark emptiness of the Missouri interstate freeway. Flat wasteland gave way to flat destitute farmland, gave way to flat gatherings of near abandoned nothing towns. Despite being probably the closest friend the other had in St. Louis, work and life and maybe some very unfair accusations about unfaithfulness had managed to keep Frank and Jennifer isolated from each other for the last few months. In fact, it was in an attempt to rectify this that Frank had even come up with the idea of the camping trip. But of course squaring things away with his daughters had kept Frank running late, and now the sun was already set, and it just felt so hard to find something to talk about.

The plan had been to go straight to Lychtwood Park and set up camp, get some hunting or maybe some fishing in, and settle in by the fire as the sun started to set in preparation for a weekend of catching up. But now it was too dark to go straight to the state park, and instead Frank and Jennifer were now pulling into the town of Salem, the closest bit of civilization. As far as they could tell, Salem was not much more than a glorified trailer park; a stain of inbred white trash... if google could be believed.

Pulling off the freeway, the first building the truck's lights illuminated was garishly lit box of tin and wood; strung with Christmas ornaments and guarded by a small army of lawn flamingos and gnomes. A neon sign reading "Jesus' Tavern" flashed across the rusted chrome of a few pickup trucks and motorcycles that were parked on the lawn outside the bar.

Otherwise it seemed the road that they were on went on for a good mile or three before coming up on a few other buildings and a row of cinderblock parked trailers. Most of the lights were off down the road, though maybe stopping at the bar would be its own form of trouble. Regardless, Jennifer and Frank would need a place to stay for the night, and a meal wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-20 at 07:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

Frank looks at the bar with some suspicion, "Maybe we should have headed out in the morning, or stopped sooner. Jen, google maps have anything listed more appealing than that rust bucket?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Frank looks at the bar with some suspicion, "Maybe we should have headed out in the morning, or stopped sooner. Jen, google maps have anything listed more appealing than that rust bucket?"
    Jennifer Gibbs

"Um... no. Actually, I don't know," Jen replied, fiddling with her phone and holding it near the roof of the car, then near the window, "the signal out here sucks."

"This place is a dump, we might be better off driving a few more miles and crashing in the car or pitching the tent in a random cornfield," she said.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yeah, lets keep rolling for a bit, see what comes up."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Try as she might, Jen can't seem to get more than a bar of service, and nothing enough to load up the opening map from google maps.

Frank pushes the truck onward, driving past the unappealing looking pub. Surprisingly, it seems like more than a mile or two before the car trundles into what appears to the downtown of Salem. The aptly named Main Street (as it turns out to be the road that Frank drove down) appears to be the only road with working streetlights. There are about three blocks of storefronts, all with dirty windows and no lights on inside. More than a few of the store fronts are completely boarded up, or have been empty for so long that there is no evidence of what sort of a business the building used to house. Though it is not too late, the sidewalks are completely empty, and the entire strip feels like a ghost town.

The only sign of life is what appears to be church at he end of the street, towering over all the other buildings. Erected with what looks like ancient bricks, the weathered building is built in a post-gothic fashion with an acutely steepled roof and a single monolithic clock tower reaching up high into the night's sky. From even a block away, organ music can be heard playing an unfamiliar hymn. As the car approaches Frank and Jen can see a battered sign that reads, "The Illuminated Church of Saint George". A few beat up pick up trucks are parked out side, more than one of them sporting Confederate Flags.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“That a banjo I hear?” Jen asked, “this place gets more welcoming by the second..”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank doesn't say anything, just keeps on rolling. Inwardly he's mentally preparing an apology to Jennifer for this mess.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank drives a past the church down Main Street. This was definitely Hoosier Country, and as Jen had said, it wasn't feeling too welcoming. The road carried on for another block or so before splitting. To the right the street continued on Main Street, but seemed to head into some desolate looking fields and farmland. Perhaps it would be best just to pull up behind one of the fields of corn, hoping they were out of view, and make "camp" for the night. Splitting off to the left, the sign named "Homestead Road" which lead towards a small flood of lights. The illumination was coming from rows of trailers and RVs. Some of the grounded vehicles had Christmas lights strung up over them. It was too far away to see if anyone was out and about in the trailer park, but at least there were signs of life... Of course, it was still possible to turn around and head back to the Church or the tavern.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    While Hoosier has different meanings, in and around St. Louis (as I've come to learn since moving here over the summer) Hoosier basically means white trash. It comes from St. Louis being a relatively major Midwest city, filled with "educated", moderately well off people, but being surrounded by large parts of poorer economically depressed low income townships throughout MO and Il.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl pulls over for a moment, "Looks like there's some life over thataway, we could see if there's a spot more appealing than what we've seen so far to stop. Or we could head right, tuck into a corner and nap in the truck before continuing. Honestly I'm kind of leaning towards the latter, and maybe pulling out a rifle or two to have with us in here. What do you think?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Jen

“Yeah, let’s head at least a few miles out though,” Jen said.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank nods and keeps driving.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank led the truck down Main Street, forsaking the lights of the trailer park. The first field they pass may have once been a field for pasture animals, but it's tall iron gating had long ago rotted and crumpled in sections. There were no signs of life and the grass had mostly died away, exposing rocky clods of soil.

But a little past this, are a few larger and more fertile strips of land. Most of the fields here seem to be growing either wheat or corn, filled with tall stalks that were at least as tall as a person. Small dirt roads split off Main Street, either to enter the fields or to divide them between supposed properties. The homes associated with these properties, when Jen and Frank could catch a glimpse form between the fields, were relatively palatial compared to the trailers of Homestead Road; likely big enough for a whole two bedrooms. These houses were mostly of the Carpenter's Gothic style, all white washed wood with buttressed and battened sidings, and narrow steepled roofs.

It wouldn't bee too hard (OOC: no roll needed) to find as tributary road to roll down, where Frank and Jen would be able to park the truck out of sight.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank looks for a good spot to pull off, somewhere relatively sheltered, and on a spot where it seems unlikely for the pair to be disturbed. Once found, he'll pull in and pull out the portable grill, setting it up on the tail of the truck, "How's the beef stew sound for tonight? Canned mind you."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“Nothing but the best for us,” Jen replied as she pulled out the utensils and inspected them to make sure they were relatively clean.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank grins, "Just wait till tomorrow night, with any luck we can snag a channel catfish or two. Its especially good when freshly caught."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's a little after dinner is finished, and the camp fire is starting to die away when the gleam of a trio of flashlights begin to bob their way into view. By the way they move, it's a trio on foot. From "good knows how far away in the dark", a male voice with a heavy Missouri twang calls out, "Hey, who are you? What are you doing on my property?" In the dark and with the glare of the flashlights, it's impossible to see the three people approaching.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank stands and starts edging towards the truck where the guns are, "Sorry for the trouble sir, we were just passing through and needed a place to stop before moving on. Didn't mean to be bothering anyone."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The bobbing of the flashlights stops, the three beams pointed at Jen and Frank. "Passing through," the voice asks with disbelief, "through Salem? Where in the good lord's name were you headed?" Despite the fact that you can't make anything out in the brightness of the flashlights, but you get the distinct sense that there might be at least one rifle already aimed in your general direction.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Jen

“Lytchwood Park,” Jen replied.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank keeps from making any sudden movements, "Yep, was planning on a bit of hunting and fishing out there, we would be camped out there already if things had gone to plan."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There is a moment of near silence, where you think you can hear the men with the flashlights talk amongst themselves. One of the three flashlights even lowers, and without the bright glare, you can see massive almost rotund figure illuminated by the light.

The three men approach, lowering their flashlights so as not to blind Jen and Frank. The group appear to be related, with the patriarch in the middle; a short and stooped man with a bald head, his skeletal frame draped in a dirty looking night robe. To his left is a man-child who could either be in his mid-teens or early thirties. He's short like his father, but all muscle, and long blond curls fall from his head, merging with a healthy beard and mustache. Clutching a shotgun aimed at the ground, he eyes Frank and Jen with curiosity, as if they were a strange breed of animal at the zoo. The rotund figure is likely the older brother. Like a walrus he is equal parts blubber and muscle, his frame bursting through an aggressively low cut and unfortunately tight Metallica wife beater. His massive arms are covered in tattoos, his head shaved, and both ears disfigured by massive lobe gauges, causing the flesh to almost hang down to his shoulders. The older brother is also holding a gun; his a hunting rifle. He's got the weapon trained on Frank, and unlike his brother, he eyes the two strangers with near comical suspicion.

The patriarch steps forward, one hand clutching his flashlight, the other a walking stick. "Lychtwood Park?" he asks with equal parts surprise and disdain, "what, do you have cotton for brains? Why would you want to go to The Park? You know the state is talking about closing the damned thing down entirely, right?"

In all of Frank's research, nothing had come up about this!

(Ooc: please give me a perception check at -2)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-31 at 10:31 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank pauses, eyes not straying far from the one aiming the rifle at him, "What's wrong with Lytchfield? I haven't heard anything off about the place since the last time I went there. That was a while ago, but still"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jen catches sight of a specific tattoo on the older brother's right deltoid; a diving bird (maybe a dove) surrounded by a circle of fire. Though she never realized it at the time, Jen had seen that symbol already; it had been a bumper sticker on a number of the trucks parked outside of the church in town. The older man actually has a small version of the same symbol in a bronze lapel pin, maybe the size of a thumb nail, stuck to his robe.

The younger brother begins to speak, but the patriarch stifles him with a glare. "It's dangerous," he replies quickly, "not well maintained. Too many out of towners have gotten lost in the park, or trapped down a ravine. A couple people go missing in the park every year and are never found." He finishes by adding proudly, "Most of the locals are smart enough to stay clear of Lychwood Park." The old man's words are dripping with disdain, and it feels like he might be hiding something.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-01-02 at 01:00 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“Wow, that does sound dangerous,” Jen said.

She gave Frank a glare then turned back to the trio.

“Thanks for the advice, I think maybe we’ll go with plan B,” she said.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank grimaces, what in the hell?

"I see, thank you for the warning, guess we had better change course."

"Listen, I'd rather not bother anyone else like we unfortunately did with you, there a spot near here where we can stop off to rest?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The old man interrupts Frank's question with a noisy and throat-filled snort, only to follow it by spitting out a thick amoeba of snot. "Well there's a small motel in town, pretty much always vacant," he says flatly, "shoulda just gone there in the first place. Can give you directions, if that's what you'd like. Probably a smarter idea than just squatting on someone else's land."

This last bit causes the younger son to snigger.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank was less than sure about the idea of staying in a motel for a town this size, but he'd had his quota of rifles pointed at his face tonight. This incident made it obvious that a property looking abandoned wasn't a reliable indicator that they'd be left alone through the night.

"Yeah, we were looking for something like that, but didn't see it on our way through the town. If you want to point us that way we'll get out of your hair."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The heavy set older brother rolls his eyes hard in doubt of what Frank said, but he does not speak up. The family patriarch nods his head and says, "Of course, makes sense you didn't see it on your way in. The motel is on the highway onramp, you'd have to have gone all the way through town to get to it." He sighs then adds, "no doubt they'll have a room you two can share... not that it will be too romantic." This causes the younger brother to snigger.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Romance isn't really my concern right now sir. I do apologize for the intrusion. Highway on ramp you said? We'll find it."

If there isn't anything else, Frank starts packing up the few things they'd gotten out for their impromptu meal.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Jen quickly also starts packing up, she wants to get out of there as quickly as possible.
    TC for short