New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

When Anna asks if he saw it too, Mitch replies, "I... I saw her, or it! I saw her kill..." but Mitch breaks down, his face knotting into a tangle of wrinkles as he struggles not to begin sobbing. "Them," he adds weakly, "I saw her kill them, and I ran. I left them. I left them to die."

He seems not to hear Jen's comment about hurting the Wytch, or maybe simply is not comforted by the idea.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I shudder at Jen reminding me of what that thing had done to the poor girl in the woods. But then I wave off the idea of going to the hospital, "They'll just charge a bunch to give me a fancier sling like the one I have at home, give me higher dosages of painkillers I can get cheaper OTC anyway, and tell me to go home and ice the thing. Waste of my time and theirs. Lets just get out of this crazy place."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-07-15 at 10:25 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Yeah, I'll drink to that," Jen said, "I'm okay with driving until morning, to be honest."

She glanced out the window at Mitch.

"You're alive, that's what's important," she said, "good luck with your truck."

"Let's go," she said to Frank as she rolled up the window.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The two watch as Mike trundles up to his house, and after removing a key from his pocket, let's himself in through the front door. A light in the upstairs window bursts into life as Frank pulls the car away from the house.

The long drive back to Saint Louis is completed in near silence; the result of a mix of exhaustion and sheer disbelief over what had or may have happened in Lytchwood Park. Perhaps the two attempt to start a conversation about their experience, but any such discussion quickly falls into flat and silent disbelief. Frank was right about his arm, and by the end of the drive, he is already starting to feel better, more certain that he won't need to stop by an emergency room.

The drive passes in a fugue of flat highway, empty fields and warped and weary farm houses, and finally by early afternoon Frank's truck crawls back into civilization. He drops Jen off at her apartment, the two promising to get together again soon, though perhaps not really meaning it.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    We will end the scene here. See the OOC thread where I have already tallied up beats and XP. I will start the new scene in a follow up post in just a moment.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Act 1 Scene ii

“But his soul was mad. Being alone in the wilderness, it had looked within itself and, by heavens I tell you, it had gone mad.”

-Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

“What are we? Humans? Or animals? Or savages?”
    ― William Golding, Lord of the Flies

It was when Jen began to unpack that her phone first buzzed. It was a text message from Caitlyn; perfect timing. "Hey babe, you in town tonight?" the first text read, followed by a second, "was thinking of grabbing a pizza and some drinks in town. You free?" Jen's first thought was that Caitlyn needed something if she was reaching out like this. Usually it was just that she wanted Jen to listen while she complained about a new boyfriend or her boss. But somehow, spending time with Caitlyn, even if she could be self-centered and small, always seemed to cheer Jen up.

Frank was standing on the porch of his ex-wife's new house, struggling to push the doorbell. Clarissa had taken the girls this weekend, and Frank had come to pick them up. To be honest, after everything that had happened, Rachel and Marissa were all that Frank could think about. He was numb to everything else, and needed to be back with the only light that really kept Frank going. Perhaps he had gone home and unpacked first; unloaded the van and even showered, or perhaps Frank had driven straight to Clarissa's.

But the ivy green front door opens even before Frank can press the doorbell button. Standing in the doorway was Neil, handsome Neil, with his strong jaw, perfectly trimmed brown hair, and **** eating pearly whites. "Hey Frank," Neil said through that same grin, "you're back early! Uh, good to see ya."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank grits his teeth, great. It was one thing to watch his wife walk off, but did he have to get replaced by a complete douche?

"Hello, yes, I'm back. Are they ready?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

Jen waffled for a moment, then decided she still had a life to live.

"Sure, let's do it, 6pm?" she texted back
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Neil's warm grin warps, shifting somehow into a superior judgmental smirk. "Oh," he says in reply as if somehow surprised by Frank's question, lackadaisically adding, "well we weren't expecting you would be back so soon. I mean, if you had texted and given us a heads up." Something in the man's eyes tells Frank that he is maliciously enjoying drawing this out and making Frank squirm. Neil pauses for a moment to peer back into the house behind him, before turning back to Frank. Rather than making any attempt to get the girls, he gives the same 32 teeth smile and asks, "Soooo... did you and Jen have a good trip?" He was definitely enjoying watching Frank squirm.

"Great!" Caitlyn's text comes back almost immediately, "Totes can't wait to see you!!!"

Jenn has plenty of time to finish unpacking before 6, and can perhaps take care of any errands or plans she feels compelled to. Of course, Caitlyn picks a fancy dinner spot for pizza, the sort of restaurant that makes Jenn want to pull up her checking account balance when she sees the menu. Sophie's Wine Bar is an upscale with a large outdoor garden dining space, and known for its expensive wood fired pizza oven, flown in from Rome.

The sky is turning pink as Jenn sits across from Caitlyn, the latter wearing a slimming black cocktail dress as she pours out glasses of Pinot Noir from the bottle. "Cheers," she says as she hands Jenn a glass, flashing a warm and excited ruby smile. "I have so much to tell you... but why don't you first tell me how you're doing! What's new Jenn? It's been too long since I've seen you love!"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Love? Did you go to England or something?" Jen asked.

"I've been good you know, finally got a decent job, went camping last weekend to try and de stress," she said.

"Epic Fail," she thought.

"Thinking about buying a motorcycle," she said, "but I'd have to get my license first. What about you?"
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jen's sardonic comment makes Caitlyn laugh, giving her friend a warm grin that says "that is why I love you."

"I've been good you know, finally got a decent job, went camping last weekend to try and de stress," she said.
    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    In the timeline as I have it, Jen just got back from her camping trip earlier that day

"Oh, camping..." she says with feigned interest, desperately diving her face into her wine glass to obscure her expression, "... sounds fun." Caitlyn was definitely not the outdoorsy sort, or at least she had become less so in the last few years.

"Thinking about buying a motorcycle," she said, "but I'd have to get my license first. What about you?"
    Caitlyn nods her head at this, similarly trying to muster up a show of support or interest in the idea of getting on a motorcycle. When it is finally her turn, Caitlyn is all too eager to start spilling the beans. "Well, I just got this offer to be a sales rep for a pharmaceutical company," she says with nearly giddy excitement. Her grin goes from ear to ear, and a hand goes up reflexively to twist a lock of dyed blonde hair around a pair of fingers. She adds, "It's like, gonna be a big raise in my pay, and like I'll be traveling a lot more, and like... I think I could be really good at it." Her voice gets faster and more excited with every word, and by the time Caitlyn finishes she is practically hysterical, "And so I was really hoping we could celebrate tonight!"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank refuses to take the bait, "It went well enough. Just cut short due to conditions. Look, can I come in? I want to see my daughters."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Hey, that's great news," Jen said, genuinely happy for her friend, "of course let's celebrate. What did you have in mind?"
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank's question wipes the smug grin off of Neil's face for just a short moment. He pauses for a moment, "Uh," turning back to check his house behind him, as if judging whether or not Frank would soil the place, before turning back to Frank. "Sure," he says hesitantly, stepping back and pulling the door wide open, "come on in." Frank is greeted by a doormat with a smiling pineapple, the entranceway is painted a pristine warm white. Several photos of Neil and Clarissa together and smiling hang on the walls. Neil walks ahead of Frank, eyes half on the intruder. Nearing the polished wooden stairwell he calls out as if warning of invasion, "Clarissa, girls, Frank is here."

There is no sign of Clarissa from inside, but there is the sudden rustling of little feet busy with little tasks upstairs. Clomp clomp clomp come familiar footsteps, followed by Rachel's excited call, "Daddy!" Within moments, both girls are rushing downstairs and diving into Frank's arms with unbridled joy that only children can have.

Caitlyn smiles warmly at the question. She puts her wine glass down then coyly says, "Well... I was thinking... first we eat like all of the pizza, and drink at least another bottle of wine, and then once we've digested we go out dancing like we used to. Just you and me." Her smile broadens even wider and even warmer, and this was what made Caitlyn such a friend, even when she could be petty and flighty and self centered; she had a way of putting all her attention on you, becoming the most loyal and amazing ally. She pauses for a moment to take a sip of wine, her smile fading as she puts the glass down. "But first I want to hear more about you. You seem a little... frazzled Jen."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Oh, it's nothing really," Jen said, "just had a bad trip. It was like one problem after another. We fell into a ravine and Frank got hurt, then we got all turned around. Some redneck hunter almost shot us by accident too."

No way was she going to start talking about flayings and shooting something that bled black ichor.

"Honestly I could use a good night out to distract me," she added.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank's problems seem far away now as he leans down to scoop up both of his girls in a hug, "Hey there angels, its good to see you. Are you ready to go have some fun?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Wow," Caitlyn says with genuine surprise and concern. Her eyes go wide and she reflexively stabilizes her wine glass on the table. Turning her head to the side she says, "That sounds worse than just a bad night? If I didn't know any better, it sounds like that trip was... well cursed!" Jen had never known her companion to be overly superstitious, even if she did follow her online horoscope a little too closely. "Is Frank okay?" she asks.

In regards to needing a distraction, Caitlyn becomes immediately excited. She takes another sip, emptying her glass of wine and says, "Well good! I was thinking we could go to this new place downtown called Ice Bar. It's a Russian dance club that specializes imported vodka." She leans in closely and with mock-furtiveness adds, "Apparently a number of the Blues hockey players have been going there recently."

Caitlyn is interrupted when Jen's phone buzzes. It's a text from Mitch to both her and Frank, "Hey! It was Jason who stole my truck. If you have time to talk, I REALLY need to talk!" The message immediately brings back flashback memories from the weekend!

Both girls reply with excited affirmatives, though Marissa leans in to whisper, "Daddy, you really stink." She giggles with a short expulsion of glee.

"The girls are going to need to pack up before they can leave," Neil interjects, clearly trying to take control of the situation.

It's not long though till the girls have packed. Clarissa makes a short appearance filled with forced smiles and pleasantries. Once the girls have packed up, Frank piles them into his truck and takes them home. A couple of hours later Frank is bathed and unpacked, sitting on the couch with the girls watching a movie and munching on microwaved popcorn.

His phone buzzes. It's a text from Mitch to both him and Jen, "Hey! It was Jason who stole my truck. If you have time to talk, I REALLY need to talk!" The message immediately brings back flashback memories from the weekend!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“He’s ok,” Jen replied, ”Oh yeah I’m definitely going to need to change for that. How do you want to this? Should we meet up at our place or mine, or at the bar?”
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank's irritation at the situation soothes quickly once he is alone with the girls, and soon he is laughing and playing with them. For a brief, wonderful moment, he is able to put the events of the weekend out of his mind.

But that didn't last long... Mitch's text crashes into his good mood like a brick through the window. Excusing himself, he steps aside, messaging both Mitch and Jen, "Has something else happened?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Oh," Caitlyn says with reflexive surprise, "I mean, whatever's best for you." She pauses for a moment, only a hint of concern in her eyes before she says, "For what it's worth, I think you look fine." She glances at Jen's cellphone, perhaps slightly suspiciously when a second message comes in.

This one is from Frank and it reads, ""Has something else happened?"

This is followed almost moments later by a rapid fire series of replies from Mitch. They read, "Well, Jason had a lot of information for me.", "I think you will want to hear it.", "But it might be best to talk on the phone.", "Or in person!"

This series of texts definitely raises Caitlyn's concern. "Is everything okay," she asks, perhaps reading into the look on Jen's face.

The girls watch as Frank gets up from the couch. The younger is too enrapt with the television to really notice, but Marissa calls after her father, "Dad, everything okay?"

Almost moment's after his text, Frank's phone begins to buzz with a rapid fire series of replies from Mitch reading, "Well, Jason had a lot of information for me.", "I think you will want to hear it.", "But it might be best to talk on the phone.", "Or in person!" Frank was now standing in the kitchen, down the hall from the living room where the girls sat.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank smiles at Marissa, "Just a message from a buddy I met on that trip." He fires off a text, "Not now, later", then determinedly rejoins the girls on the couch. He needed this moment with them.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Yeah, just some drama," Jen replied, putting her phone down.

"So should we meet at your place?" she asked.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The girls barely notice when Frank returns, just seconds later to the couch. But it's only a moment before a reply text causes his phone to go off again. "She's free!" the first text says, followed almost immediately by a second, "Jason says you freed her!" Rachel shoots her father an annoyed look, but is too busy watching the television to say anything.

"Uh, sure," Caitlyn says, still slightly distracted by Jen's still busy phone. The machine flashes Frank's message, a belligerent, "Not now, later".

And this is followed shortly by two texts from Mitch, "She's free!" the first text says, followed almost immediately by a second, "Jason says you freed her!"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Alright perfect," Jen said as she turned her phone over and rolled her eyes at the incoming messages, "let's finish up here and then we can get to dancing, hopefully with some hockey players."

Once on her way home to change (alone), she called Mitch.

"Hey, what's going on?" she asked.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank resolutely ignores the phone as he continues to enjoy the evening with his daughters. Only later when they've been settled in to bed does he step away and call in. "What is this nonsense about us freeing her?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-08-03 at 09:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Caitlyn and Jen finish up their drinks and pizza. The food is good, and while maybe not the best in the city, is very affordably priced. Caitlyn kisses Jen on the cheek as they depart, and make her promise to hurry up so they can go out.

Jen makes the phone call on the ride back, the car speaker picking up via bluetooth. It only rings twice before Mitch picks up. "Hey, Jen? Thanks for calling," he says in anxious rushed words, "you're uh... you're alone now, right?" Once he get's an affirmation from Jen, Mitch continues, his words almost becoming more rushed till they are nearly falling together in a crazed stream, "Well, just hear me out. Jason's uncle, the one we were telling you about, well he's part of this group; an organization really. See, they call themselves The Union, and I guess they know a whole lot about The Wytch." He pauses for a moment then explains, "Well that's what they call that crazy monster in the woods. Anyway, they seem to know a whole lot about her, and they think that you and Frank may have released her, and well... they want to talk to you... like in person... and like ASAP!" There is a final pause here, where perhaps Mitch is waiting for Jen to reply, or maybe he is simply just out of breath.

Mercifully, the chain of texts stops here. Frank is able to finish TV time with his daughters, and see them off to bed, getting an extra warm hug and kiss from Rachel before he leaves her room. There is a moment, walking down the unlit hallway before Frank gets back to the living room, where for a moment he can swear he sees a dark shadow standing and staring at him. But in a moment the figment is gone.

Stepping in to the living room, Frank calls Mitch back, asking his question before Mitch can even begin to speak.

"What is this nonsense about us freeing her?"
    "Hey, uh, well..." the man flounders, clearly taken off guard. In a desperate, but almost tired way he says, "Well Jason's uncle and his friends say she's gone. See, they're this group call The Union, and apparently their main job was to watch The Wytch, which is what they call her. And well, she's not supposed to be able to cross running water or something... like Dracula, and well Jason and his Uncle and their friends went out today after I had a chance to talk to them, and well she's gone. Apparently a tree was left across the creek, like a bridge or something, and they think that's how she got out!"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

Jen considered hanging up in Mitch right then and there, but… there _was_ something in the forest, and she _did_ shoot it point blank. Maybe it would be looking for a little payback. It might make sense to meet up with Mitch and his people who knew what was going on…. If they weren’t completely nuts. She’s have to get Frank too.

But not tonight, she had plans.

“I’d feel safer if it was a phone call or a zoom,” she said, “why do we need to meet in person?”
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mitch replies almost immediately, his voice a little high pitched and strained, "I don't know, that's what they said. I guess their kinda like some secret society or something, like a Hoosier elk lodge or something." He pauses for a moment then adds, "I suppose I can give you Jason's number if you want, but he said his uncle wanted to talk to you in person. He said you may have let the Wytch out, and that she... might have followed you home."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Mitch replies almost immediately, his voice a little high pitched and strained, "I don't know, that's what they said. I guess their kinda like some secret society or something, like a Hoosier elk lodge or something." He pauses for a moment then adds, "I suppose I can give you Jason's number if you want, but he said his uncle wanted to talk to you in person. He said you may have let the Wytch out, and that she... might have followed you home."
    Jen Gibbs

Well. There was nobody at home when she was there earlier....
    "Any chance she followed me home to say thanks?" Jen asked. She immediately thought about where she kept her weapons; she'd definitely be arming herself as soon as she got home.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

However light hearted Jen's comment was meant to be, Mitch seems to take it too seriously. "Dude, I don't know, but I'm sure it's not good," he says shrilly, adding defensively, "I'm not an expert about this stuff. I mean, this is the first time I've ever had to deal with anything like this. I'm barely keeping it together as is. Talk to Jason and his uncle Jen. That's all I got for you." As he speaks, it sounds like Mitch is on the verge of losing it, the words coming in a hurried, mixed up jumble.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Yeah alright, send me his details," she said.

Once they came through she would call the number. She'd almost managed to convince herself whatever happened in those woods was some kind of hallucinogenic nightmare, but she sure as heck wasn't going to miss her night out with her best friend.
    TC for short