New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

Frank has a grin as the pair descend from Blackstone. "We could use some shade and a bit of rest I think, that big oak tree is near, care to stop for refreshments there?"

He pulls out his map to be certain of the direction needed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wits+survival (4d10)[10][10][8][5](33)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank and Jenn leave the clearing, finding refuge under the shaded canopy of the forest. They follow Frank's map, cutting along a narrow twisting trail. As they hike, the trees grow closer together, their branches almost appearing to intertwine to block out more and more sunlight till it a flashlight is almost desired.

Their hike is uninterrupted, the only signs of life being the occasional squawk or chirp of birds hiding within the heavy forest ceiling. Frank never loses his confidence as he navigates through the woods, and in only an hour, they reach their destination in The Crone, an ancient grandfather oak tree estimated to almost be a thousand feet tall. The duo know they are reaching their destination first by the growing cacophany of cawing, and the thickening carpet of silky black crow feathers. The tree line widens as they approach The Crone is a towering moss covered explosion of bark and branches, fingers as thick as a man's torso sprouting out in all directions. Every branch is covered in shimmering black crows, and their shrieks and the sound of rustling feathers fills the air as much of the musty stale odor of bird feathers and droppings. The birds do not seem to take the presence of their visitors lightly, and as Frank and Jenn approach The Crone, the chorus of caws grows louder, and many birds take flight into the canopy above.

(OOC: Please give me a perception roll each of you)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Jenn gets 3 successes)

As Jenn steps forward her boot crunches on something dry like twigs but too large. She looks down at the forest floor, finding thousands of tiny yellowed bones buried between the carpet of black feathers and fallen leaves. The tangle of detritus is dizzying and almost causes a sense of vertigo, and as Jenn looks up trying to clear her head and her vision, it almost looks for a moment like the grandfather oak itself is staring at her hungrily from the gnarled black knots that speckle its surface.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"That was weird," Jen said as she looked down at the bones again to make sure they are actually, in fact, bones.
    "Frank, take a look at this," she said.

She scuffed her boot around a bit to see if it was only a small pile, or if there were more spread out around the area.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank kneels down and picks up a few of the bones, taking a closer look and trying to identify what sort or sorts of creatures they came from "This is strange, bones don't get gathered in one place like this in my experience. Scavengers should be scattering them, and if some predator or toxin was killing lots of creatures in this area, the rest should instinctively avoid it."

He looks up at the judgy corvids, "Maybe they're responsible? Hauling every carcass they can carry back here from all over the woods? I haven't heard about anything of the sort before, but Crows do some weird stuff, and often teach it to their neighbors."

"Either way, this place is not as peaceful as we thought, lets maybe have lunch somewhere else."
    He pulls out a camera and starts taking some pictures, wanting to send them to a guy who might make sense of this.

Show
    Not trying to identify species or anything that specific, just if we're mostly talking birds, rodents, snakes, etc. or a mixture thereof sort of thing.
    perception (5d10)[2][2][4][1][10](19)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-03-01 at 10:55 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Looking down at the carpet of feathers and bones on the forest floor, Frank notices that the collections of bones appear to almost be gathered together in collections. Though not necessarily in exact piles, it seems like there are areas of the ground speckled with an array of dirty yellowed bone, while between these collections are areas of dried dirt without a single piece of skeletal remains.

(OOC: To tell more about the types of animals, please give me an Int + Survival roll)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To Frank, many of the animal skeletons scattered out on the ground are clearly rodent... but as he looks closer, there are some bones from a larger animal. These are far less common, but they are clustered close enough together that Frank is certain that they belong to whole animals. Frank has to get around and root through the loose piles of bone, but it isn't till he unearths a skull that he realizes... cats. There are cat bones scattered out here!

(OOC: 2 successes)

Jenn also starts rooting through the piles of bones. She can't draw any further conclusion about the origins of the skeletons, but she picks up on a separate surprise. There's no damage to the bones; no evidence of trauma, no talon or beak scratches, no bones cracked open for the marrow. Despite the tree full of scavengers, there's no evidence these rodents have been eaten!

The crows begin to caw louder, thousands of black eyes seeming to stare down at the two human intruders.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank drops the cat skull and looks to Jennifer, "Lets get out of here quickly. I don't know what, but something is deeply wrong with this place. I was wrong about the ravens, they're not strong enough to lift a cat. I think that leaves just one animal that might arrange this. Humans, and I don't want to meet anyone that thinks of this crap as a hobby."

Unless she for some reason disagrees, he sets off in the direction of their camp.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-03-03 at 11:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Frank drops the cat skull and looks to Jennifer, "Lets get out of here quickly. I don't know what, but something is deeply wrong with this place. I was wrong about the ravens, they're not strong enough to lift a cat. I think that leave just one animal able to arrange this. Humans, and I don't want to meet anyone that thinks of this crap as a hobby."

Unless she for some reason disagrees, he sets off in the direction of their camp.
    “Yup, f this, time to go,” Jen replied. She unslings her rifle and checks the safety, just in case.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jenn and Frank turn and begin to make their way back down the path that had winded them to this terrible tree. The screeches of the crows seemed to grow louder and more threatening, even as the tree fell farther and farther away in the tree line. If either of the hikers looked back, they would be relieved to see none of the big black birds chasing them through the forest. It was fortunately cooler under the forest canopy, but still the humidity was stifling, and the trees were so thickly gathered here that the lighting was almost dim, making it disorienting to figure out how late the day had grown.

And to make matters worse, the trail no longer looked familiar. The trail had somehow narrowed, and branches seemed to reach out as if to grab or slow down the two hikers.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Assuming the two are making their way back to camp. Please give me Wits + Survival, but this time -1. Competing against the following roll (5d10)[7][10][1][5][7](30)

And feel free to make any other rolls you think would be useful.

EDIT: Wow, my rolls have just been so bad of late.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-03-05 at 11:04 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank grits his teeth, and checking his surroundings regularly, keeps on trudging along. This trip had been a mixed bag to say the least. Several awe inspiring moments, and then things like this..

Show
    wits+survival-1 (3d10)[4][1][10](15)
    ten again (3d10)[3][6][8](17)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To Jenn it seems like the two are truly lost. The trail keeps splitting far more than she remembers it had on the way coming to the tree, and the path just seems to grow more and more narrow. Frank is doing his best to maintain a sense of optimism, studying the map and using every ounce of his wits to navigate.

Somehow, the two make it back to camp, though Jenn is almost certain they took a completely disparate route to prior. By now the two are covered in sweat, their legs smeared with patches of splashed mud, and sporting scrapes from unexpected branches that seemed to reach for them out of nowhere. The sun is just starting to descend, the baby blue sky becoming lined with a hues of pink and violet, though it is still unmercifully hot and humid. There might be time for one last adventure before the sun sets, if the two are truly feeling brave.

(OOC: Tie goes to the runner with Frank's one success)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-03-06 at 09:38 AM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

"Ugh, I'm wiped after that hike, how about dinner?" Jen asked, "think that fish is still good?"

She decides against mentioning anything about the freaky tree, the bones, or how they seemed to get completely lost on the way back.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-03-06 at 10:40 AM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yeah, lets get a proper fire going and wash up. Might be time to open that whiskey bottle too." He looks around the campsite and takes a breath, talking in a more positive tone now that things seem to be safe. It had been a very long time since he'd had that much trouble figuring out which direction to go...

"We'll want to leave early in the morn if we want a good chance at those deer anyways."

Frank cleans himself off with some wipes from a "dude shower" brand cleaning kit, and goes ahead and changes clothing before walking out to the bear bag and beginning to bring it down from the trees.

Show
    In case it comes up, Frank has no intention of getting drunk, but a bit of Jameson to calm his nerves sounds good to him.

BTW, Frank actually has a merit stating he never loses his sense of direction. But I figure it probably wouldn't apply against mystical happenings. Besides, him never normally getting lost only adds to the suspense when suddenly that's changing.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-03-06 at 11:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fortunately, the camp has been left unmolested, and the two are able to go about their chores in preparation for the evening. As the sun sets, the sky turning darker colors of plum and violet, it finally begins to cool and a warm fire becomes a welcome companion. The afternoon is peaceful, and again it is like there are no other animals or humans in the park with them.

Frank and Jenn get their fire going, the logs they collected finally taking light from the gutting tinder, and the air becomes filled with the homey aroma of wood fire. Once the logs stop putting out black smoke, the two begin cooking the fish Frank had caught. But even over the crackling of the fire, the two can hear the disturbance of a group approaching. Raucous jovial voices, and the sound of trampled thicket grow closer and closer. Jenn and Frank can tell even before the group arrives that they are being descended upon by a group of kids.

The four that push through the shrubs, walking where no trail has been cleared can't be any older than 18. It's three guys and one girl, all dressed as if they were going to a Christian metal concert rather than camping in a national park. The leader is a lanky kid with a shaved head and pierced ears, whose skin is so pale it reflects the red firelight. He has his arm around the girl, and he leers at Frank and Jenn before giving her a sloppy peck on the cheek. "Told ya I'd find them," he chuckles at his girl and the two boys behind him, his voice heavy with some form of intoxication, his lids half mast and puffy over scorched red eyes. He's got a heavy midwestern accent that reeks with the stench of Hoosier, and when he grins again at Jenn and Frank, you can see he's missing one of his top front teeth.

The girl is a little dumpy, her soft form hidden behind an oversized black T, a camo denim jacket, and oversized jeans taken from a rap video in the 90s. Her eyes are equally bleary red, and she chuckles at her boyfriend's triumphant remarks as if it was a too clever joke. "Way to go Zach," she giggles, before giving the two an embarrassed smile, "maybe they'll be willing to share their dinner with us."

"Ya, sorry to interrupt your... romantic evening, but we're awfully hungry and well, we forgot to bring any dinner." Zach chortles. Then he lifts his free hand, carrying a bright red cooler and adds, "but we got beer... among other things, if you want things." And this causes him to chuckle all over again.

One of the boys in back steps forward from the shadows. "Oh hey, it's you two," he says, and Jenn and Frank can see that it's the long haired park ranger they met this morning. Now he's wearing a striped button down, two sizes two big, and has clearly been partaking in the festivities of his companions. "Sorry to barge in on you," he adds with sincerity and a touch of shame.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“Oh hey, it’s you,” Jen said to the ranger, completely ignoring the others, “hey listen, what do you know about this crazy looking tree a few hours hike over that way? There were about a million black birds in and around it, and the craziest thing, someone had gathered all the bones of like hundreds of little animals , other birds, mice, squirrels, and cats and piled them in little stacks all around. Freaked me the F out. Do you have any idea what that’s about?”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-03-06 at 06:58 PM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zach speaks up before his ranger pal can reply. "That's wicked," he chuckles, nodding his head in excitement, "You're not yankin' my chain, are you mam?" He seems genuinely excited by Jenn's story. His exclamation causes his girlfriend and the other kid to give whooping cheers of excitement.

Mitch, the ranger from this morning steps forward and with a touch of both confusion and concern says, "You mean The Crone? I'm... I'm not really sure I know what you mean. I've seen some birds up in the old oak tree, but a million black birds? And animal bones everywhere? I... well that's... kinda crazy sounding, no offense."

(OOC: Feel free to give me Composure + Empathy)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Jen

“Yeah, it was totally crazy, freaked me the F out,” Jen replied.

Spoiler
    Show
    composure -1(?): (2d10)[8][3](11)
    10 again: (2d10)[2][9](11)
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank sighs as the others approach. Right when things were looking up again... Looks like a couple of delinquents pressured the ranger kid into taking them out here, and from the looks of it he knew this wouldn't go well.

He's grateful to Jen for taking the conversation in a different direction. He was inclined to send the lot packing, but that could cause even more trouble than feeding the pack and keeping an eye on them.

As doubt is expressed about what was seen at the Crone, he fished out his phone and pulls up the pictures he took.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as Jenn can tell, Ranger Mitch is being sincere. He sounds surprised and perplexed as he replies, "Well... that sounds pretty crazy. If it's alright, I'll check it out first thing in the morning. I'm technically supposed to be off," this causes his companions to chuckle, "but I'll come back in and me and Ben will go check it out." But something about Zach's expression seems more curious than concerned.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank clears his throat, "Right, with that out of the way, this request of yours. I can't say I'm particularly in the habit of sharing a campsite or hard won food with others just because they didn't think to bring the basics. Do you have some means of shelter for the night? If not, I'd focus on that first, because while we might have enough food, tent space is in short supply. It gets cold out here in a hurry."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Jen stayed quiet as she waited to see how the kids responded.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Aw, hey man, don't be like that," Zach says with a sneer, his girlfriend chiming in, "We're really hungry man."

Mitch does his best to reign his friends in, saying apologetically, "We don't need a place for the night man. We've got our own camp and everything, and if we really needed to, we could just head back to our cars and drive home. We just... well Jason was supposed to be in charge of packing food, and I guess he didn't get the message." Mitch shoots the third boy a glare, which is met with a playful vitriolic sneer and the middle finger from Jason. He turns back to Frank and says pathetically, "But we are really hungry."

"Ya man, starving!" Zach says, clutching his stomach in imitation of true pain. Not sure about Frank, he moves to Jenn, giving her his best puppy dog eyes and says, "What do you think? You wouldn't turn away a group of poor starving kids, would you?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank looks to Jen with an eyebrow raised, looking for a cue on how okay she is with this. They were annoying, but at the least taking them in for dinner wouldn't mean putting them up for the night.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-03-14 at 04:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

Jen gives a sly smirk.

“Wellll, I think if Jason was supposed to bring the food and he didn’t, it wouldn’t really be fair for us to bail him out like that, no consequences,” Jen said, looking at the other kids, “a mistake like that needs to be paid for, don’t you think?”

“Something like, stripping down to his boxers and singing the national anthem, would that be a fair punishment?” she asked.

She grinned.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank's lips twitch up a bit in amusement. Then he looks to Jason to see his reaction.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jason's eye twitches at Jenn's suggestion. The kid looks like he's a high school or collegiate wrestler; all muscles, and no neck. He's got a beany on, and is probably wearing back eye liner. He starts to protest, but before he can get anything meaningful out, Zach chimes up, clapping his hands together. "Yes," he announces with excitement, "I couldn't agree more! It's only fair to us... and Jason!" The girl cheers on this idea as well, though Mitch says nothing.

"No man," Jason growls, "that's not fair! Come one! It's not my fault... I mean... well that's not fair!" His protests turn into pleas, but Zach and his girlfriend Lydia are merciless, and begin chanting for him to strip and sing, "Do it! Do it! DOOOO IIIIIT!"

"****, fine!" the boy shouts in defeat, his hands shaking with anger. He reaches down and unbuckles his black studded belt, dropping his dark stretch jeans to reveal yellowed tighty whities, before throwing off his black leather biker jacket and white wife beater. Standing with his hands about his ankles, face flushed with equal parts anger and embarrassment, Jason begins to sing the National Anthem; his voice cracking hard anytime he hits a high note. By the end of the performance, he's shivering in the cold evening air, his hands clutched in front of his crotch to protect his... modesty. "Happy?" he asks, voice almost breaking into a sob, lined eyes still narrowed with anger.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Jen Gibbs

“No no, start lower!” Jen yelled as he started singing, but it was too late. After his voice cracked the first time she started feeling bad and joined in to sing the rest of it together.

“Happy? Well, you won’t be singing for the Chiefs anytime soon, but I guess it’s good enough for dinner,” she said, “pull up some dirt. We’re gonna need more wood too if we’ve got more people; anyone want to volunteer to go foraging?”

She looked at the other kids.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Zach and his girlfriend hoot and jeer while Jason does his best. Mitch just stands there looking uncomfortable. But when Jenn joins in, the group's mocking quickly gives way and Mitch, then the other two join in as well, the entire group (plus or minus Frank) crooning the ending to the National Anthem together.

At the end, Jason quickly starts pulling his pants back up, hands fumbling as he zips up and buckles his belt while Jenn speaks. His face is still flush with embarrassment, but he grins when Zach swoops in to pat him hard on the back with a chuckle.

Jenn finishes her statement, and with an arm still around his half naked companion, Zack salutes her and replies, "Aye aye captain," He turns back to his girlfriend, lips pulling back into a snaggle toothed smile as he gives her a wink, before turning back and replying, "Lydia and I can do the foraging. We'll bring back some great firewood, since y'all are kind enough to share your dinner with us. Much obliged. Mitch, you can stay here with Jason and warm yourselves by the fire." He turns his somehow charming grin back to Jenn and Frank and adds, "But is there any chance you wouldn't mind sharing a few beers with us?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank simply states, "Maybe, lets get things set up though. We need some more seating. There's a log over that away that would do pretty well, but I'll need a few hands to move it. Mitch and Jason, if you wouldn't mind helping. Jenn, if you could rummage through and get out the rest of the potatoes? Just wrap them up in foil like the other two and set them all next to the fire, just barely not touching the flames. Those things take a while to cook."