New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Skyrora vs Ecosene! 45% less CO2

The other day I learned something new (for me) about rocket fuel. It turns out there is a company that has developed a rocket engine that runs on more environmentally friendly fuel (sort of). The fuel is made from recycled plastic. According to them, it produces 45 percent fewer emissions.
    The fuel used in the rocket is called Ecosene. The company claims that the engine can draw 600 kg of the required kerosene from 1000 kg of certain plastic waste in 24 hours. Skyrora says the process produces 45% fewer greenhouse gases than conventional RP-1 kerosene rocket fuel. What do you think of it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrora vs Ecosene! 45% less CO2

Not sure if burning plastic is really an environmentally friendly option. The Ecosene fuel may involve fewer emissions with respect to climate, but there may be many other byproducts which have no effect on climate per se, but which may be toxic or carcinogenic to individual organisms and which we wouldn't want building up in the biosphere.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sounds like it's just acquiring the standard kerosene for rocket fuel from recycled resources, in this case plastic, rather than just refining it directly from crude oil. So first off the CO2 savings is in processing the fuel, NOT in burning it. 2nd, there's no reason it has to be used as rocket fuel, but just put into the regular kerosene supply as a replacement, since that occupies a part of the overall emissions problem that is many orders of magnitude bigger than kerosene as rocket fuel.

The use of multiple keyword tags related to the trade name to probably boost this in search engines also leads me to believe there's ulterior motives for the OP.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Sounds like it's just acquiring the standard kerosene for rocket fuel from recycled resources, in this case plastic, rather than just refining it directly from crude oil. So first off the CO2 savings is in processing the fuel, NOT in burning it.
    And this is assuming your rocket is using RP-1. NASA's current plans for their next generation heavy launch vehicle are based, I believe, around a development of the SSME (Space Shuttle Main Engines), and those are LHOX fuelled--which means the only emissions from actually firing those engines is superheated steam!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    The use of multiple keyword tags related to the trade name to probably boost this in search engines also leads me to believe there's ulterior motives for the OP.
    I was suspicious about that, too. I debated about whether to report it as Spam.

There is a company near me that has figured out how to turn normally-non-recyclable plastics into methane (I think). Assuming the methane gets burnt (and not released into the atmosphere) it's a good bit better than just throwing the plastics away to slowly break down and get into everything (and everyone).
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-12-23 at 03:37 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season