New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Question Finally picked up OTOoPC, what's next?

After 8 years of enjoying this strip for free, I finally got around to buying book 0. Now that I'm done, which of the other books has the best unique content? Which were the most impactful for your reading experience?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Finally picked up OTOoPC, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotu View Post
    After 8 years of enjoying this strip for free, I finally got around to buying book 0. Now that I'm done, which of the other books has the best unique content? Which were the most impactful for your reading experience?
    Start of Darkness and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished. I prefer the latter, but the former has some Team Evil plot points worth digesting.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-12-21 at 02:41 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Start of Darkness, overwhelmingly. After that, Good Deeds Gone Unpunished is my favourite when it comes to "unique, impactful content".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thanks, I assumed those would be the natural next steps but wanted to know if any of the extra content in the main books was worth springing for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks, I assumed those would be the natural next steps but wanted to know if any of the extra content in the main books was worth springing for.

There's also Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails, but that's all stuff that's non-canon. It's pretty fun, though. Also, all the books have some additional content- not exactly consequential, but the idea is it's supposed to be worth your time to buy it. Mostly more jokes, but sometimes it's extended scenes or interesting character stuff.
    Last edited by Rikmach; 2020-12-21 at 04:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

If you like Belkar, the Uncivil Servant pdf is about him.

If you like the StickTales in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, then the Haleo and Julelan pdf.

Also, if you game, look at the Monster for Every Season minis.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Start of Darkness is a must. It changes the way you view Team Evil, completely.

The commentary at the compilations of the main webcomic adds a lot of color to the experience, but it's nowere as powerful as Start of Darkness.

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished is a collection of pretty good short stories, but it's all about secondary characters. (Well, there is Mr. Scruffy, too).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Start of Darkness and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished. I prefer the latter, but the former has some Team Evil plot points worth digesting.
    Those are the two I bought, and I had no regrets.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I definitely agree with the consensus that Start of Darkness is practically required reading. Especially if you're interested in stuff that impacts the plot and characterization of the main narrative.

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished is of similar quality of writing (especially the story "How the Paladin Got His Scar"), but for various reasons doesn't have the same transformative impact on the way I view the characters in question as SOD did.

As for the main books, I love the additional content, but I get that the asking price might be a bit steep, depending on your circumstances. If you're spending money and have to pick and choose, I'd definitely prioritize getting Start and Deeds over anything else.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Start of Darkness first, then Good Deeds Gone Unpunished. Please constrain your surprise.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I definitely agree with the consensus that Start of Darkness is practically required reading. Especially if you're interested in stuff that impacts the plot and characterization of the main narrative.

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished is of similar quality of writing (especially the story "How the Paladin Got His Scar"), but for various reasons doesn't have the same transformative impact on the way I view the characters in question as SOD did.

As for the main books, I love the additional content, but I get that the asking price might be a bit steep, depending on your circumstances. If you're spending money and have to pick and choose, I'd definitely prioritize getting Start and Deeds over anything else.
    Pretty much. I didn't know I enjoyed reading about the hows and whys of stories being created as much as I did. And I find it holds through quite broadly, I've enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff of OOtS, but also the Franco-Belgian comics lineup (Asterix, Tintin, Sprious etc etc etc) and the Disney Duck comics. This may not hold for all people.

But I do find you get a different appreciation for the OOTS story when you see how little is planned, yet how much if it is planned well. Like stuff people accused of being spur of the moment wrote-into-corner decisions are long established plotlines the comic has headed towards for years while other incredibly well-integrated and good storylines are almost spur of the moment. It's fascinating to watch the process. So to speak.

Serendipity plots like half of the comic I hear.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of the main books, I would say the one with the most additional content is Don't Split the Party.

Spoiler: DStP spoilers
    Show
    It has 2 pretty "big" extra moments:

When we "see" the Adult Black Dragon on her way to fight V

When we see Haley, Belkar and the Thieves Guild get Roy's body back. This one is actually plot relevant because it explains why Haley killed Crystal.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-12-22 at 11:40 AM.