New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fighter build (extra feat at EVERY level + free exotic weapons proficiency)

Quote Originally Posted by MR_Anderson View Post
    You’re absolutely right. I came up with the idea for the healing gloves because our DM gave us very limited down time, so sometimes I only had the ability to add just a single spell when we came into a town.

I also made gauntlets of true strike 3x per day for the melee characters.

The other item I would craft is something like an amulet, tunic, cloak, robe, or crown that provides Continuous Protection from Evil, it only costs 2,000 gp to craft (4,000 gp value), it protects vs the mind control stuff, you could also add Chaos and Law to it as well, but I usually skip Protection from Good.

A pair of Glasses with all the detect spells you have that are 0-Level or 1st Level are also useful.
    I don't think you should necessarily expect to be able to craft custom items of your own invention. They're very DM-dependent. But I also don't think you really need to craft any custom items because you can do just fine with the basic stuff in the DMG.

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    That's all good advice. Either way, i would check with the DM before i set my expectations. The DM could limit downtime, or otherwise stifle expected result, as a way to achieve their setting.
    Yeah, if your DM has houserules nerfing item creation, then item creation feats are going to go down in value. But presumably you also would have known about them by now, right?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Fighter build (extra feat at EVERY level + free exotic weapons proficiency)

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I don't think you should necessarily expect to be able to craft custom items of your own invention. They're very DM-dependent. But I also don't think you really need to craft any custom items because you can do just fine with the basic stuff in the DMG.
    I think there is an understanding that crafting an item that has a 5 uses of a spell per day is not really outside the realm of acceptable custom. It has a simple formula.

However, Crafting a real custom item like Gauntlets of Absolute True Strike (GoATS) that require Extend Spell feat, Spell level of 2nd, and Minimum caster level of 3rd, and “Continuous Use“ calculations allowing one attack each round to benefit from a +20 is extremely custom, and I wouldn’t expect many DM’s to allow it, even at the highly expensive cost.

Any crafting skill requires DM coordination, even for the stuff in the book, especially when the DM has already stated PHB only.