New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/PoW/SoM V: For Vendetta!

Goma grunts at the blow, ignoring most of it. He retaliates with two strikes from his shield.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    From last round: 21 damage - 13 temp HP - 2 fast healing = 6 in delayed damage pool.

AC: 29, HP: 158/158, 13 temp hp, 6/40 DDP, DR 8/-

Free action: Berserking.

Standard action: Flurry Strike the Get with the tower shield.

AOOs: Use 3 for AOOs, use 7 for Active Defense + Smashing Counter. If the provoking attack misses, Goma gets a free action shield bash.

Shield 1: (1d20+18)[21], (2d6+14)[24] +4 damage from Challenge.
    Shield 2: (1d20+18)[34], (2d6+14)[17] +4 damage from Challenge.

After delayed damage pool empties: 7 temp hp, 0/40 DDP
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2021-07-21 at 08:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq's blade carves through the thing's chitin, hopefully enough to actually wound it.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Crit confirm: (1d20+15)[25]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Things worked better this round, but that just meant it was a mixed bag. Rowan's gravelly blast managed to find a home in the beasts flesh, as did Riq's sword, slicing a deep cut that bled a blackish ichor. Goma was slightly more successful, one of his flurry being barely close enough to land, but the rest of his attack hit only air. The rest of the party did even less, with Akaash mis-calibrating his turn, and Malak (and thus his akashic servant) still feeling the effects of the Get's bite. For her part, 'Zad was shuffling her talents, but was little help for the time being.

The monster, however, has decided that discretion is the greater part of valor and rushes back under the stairs into its hole of deeper darkness. Do you chase it down, or do you ignore it and focus on heading up the stairs?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

Malak holds his side. As fate would have it, his severe wound is on the same side of his body that mirrors destruction for Nethys, so that's fair. "If we give chase, we give chase now. Maybe we'll get a lair of treasure. Or a lair of bones. Honestly, I could care less as we scared it off and taught it a lesson. I'm for climbing the stairs, but I need better healing than my dinky wand will be able to manage, if someone could, please."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash channels healing energy into the group, slowly restoring everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    mass cure w/ revitalize, fast healing 1 for 8 minutes, 2 SP
    "Given our ignorance of the general situation, I am more concerned with finding what lay ahead than in hunting down the beast."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sure the azer would appreciate not getting eaten if they want to use the stairs. I'm willing to try to finish off this Get, but if no one else is interested, I will continue on." Goma says as his wounds knit.

7. - Top - End - #157

"Thank you, Akaash," says Malak, as after two minutes his wounds are all gone. "And yet, I feel strange. As if a piece of me were missing and my mind is a touch foggy. But let's go up the stairs and leave the beast."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Hearing Malak's feeling of being 'off' Rowan says, "Yes Malak. What you are feeling is probably the missing chunk of life-force the Get devoured from you. Good news is, the feeling may fade away after a few hours or a day. Bad news is it may not fade away. Not without potent magics at least."

Rowan falls silent a beat before speaking up again, "Ah before I forget, who wishes for the gift of flight?" Rowan then casts a spell on anyone willing (up to himself plus 4 others) granting them Perfect flight at 30ft speed.

Ready to follow the rest on up the stairs, Rowan keeps a wary eye on the hole the Get fled into.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I keep forgetting to cast Rowan's Flight spell. Lasts 11 hours and gives perfect maneuverability at 30ft speed.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2021-07-30 at 06:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

A curious Goma raises his hand at Rowan's question. "I've never flown before, but I'll definitely try it."

Goma will test out his new fly speed and hover just above the ground as he takes point.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

While Goma's flight was a bit shaky, he was able to ascend the stairs with little effort. Once the party reaches the top, they are rewarded with a view of a passage with a vaulted ceiling leads westward. Three domed alcoves extend from either side, each holding pedestals that display open and empty treasure coffers. A large, red-skinned, obviously dead humanoid with obsidian horns and jutting tusks hangs upside down from the ceiling between the westernmost alcoves, suspended from its heels by iron chains. There is a currently closed door at the end of the furthest alcove.

No map until it's relevant. What's the plan?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Looking at the hanging dead man, Rowan says, "Poor blighter. Though I am left wondering if he ended up there as punishment or for not watching where he stepped."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Was he hung there as a warning,, as a punishment, or was he caught in a trap?" Akaash hangs back, eyeing the room cautiously.

13. - Top - End - #163

Malak will assist Oddity in doing a cursory check of the room. If nothing is found, then they will do a more focused check of the room - of traps and anything hidden.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Malak auto-Aids Oddity. Oddity's Perception w/ Aid = (1d20+15)[24] (add +3 for traps).

If nothing is found. Take 20 for a result of 35. Traps not included, because if not found above, then we will likely "find" the traps "automatically."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Careful inspection will reveal that there are a pair of secret doors; one to the north and one to the south. Along with the regular door to the west, you now have 3 entrances available to you (in addition to heading back the way you came, obviously).

Where do you go?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Hearing about the newly discovered hidden doors, a glint of greed appears in Rowan’s eyes and says, ”Maybe not all the treasure was taken away as it seems. Perhaps these secret passages went undiscovered by whatever force emptied these coffers.”

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"Or, at the very least, they may have fewer guards about them." Alssariq posits. "Beyond that, I suppose one secret door is as good as any other."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, if they were secret, they are worth looking into. Let us go West first, unless anyone sees a cause to prefer the other?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no preference myself. Would anyone like to give it a once over before I open it?" Goma says as he stacks up at the door.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    "Was he hung there as a warning,, as a punishment, or was he caught in a trap?" Akaash hangs back, eyeing the room cautiously.
    Malak says, "I am more likely to think he was a deterrent-punishement."
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    "Yes, if they were secret, they are worth looking into. Let us go West first, unless anyone sees a cause to prefer the other?"
    "None at all," answers Malak. "West is as good as any other."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    "I have no preference myself. Would anyone like to give it a once over before I open it?" Goma says as he stacks up at the door.
    Oddity will give it as once over again, assisted by Malak but having done so already this is more to assuage Goma.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you. I have to stay pretty for Lark and I don't want a trap to hurt my winning smile."

When everyone is ready, Goma opens the secret door to the west and steps inside.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Heading west, you find yourselves in a dark antechamber, the only illumination being a single flickering lamp on the north wall, as all of the room’s other lamps have gone out. A scattering of debris covers the floor—it looks like pieces of equipment, weapons, and assorted odds and ends including a large, rolled-up carpet. The brass walls are decorated with imprints of humanoids wreathed in flame, sitting upon prayer mats and bowing toward the exit to the west, a door which is currently closed.

Do you investigate the debris, or head to the door?

22. - Top - End - #172

Malak and Oddity will investigate the debris, but with 'Zad looking for danger. The two searchers and any who join them will also be wary of any booby traps .... be it in the refuse, under, of what-have-you.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma lends his nose to searching the debris, and his shield to the face of anything that might pop out of it. He takes particular intrest in the rolled up carpet.

"I wouldn't mind bringing the carpet home to Lark if it's not full of mildew."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash takes a closer look at the various debris, keeping his feet a few inches clear of the floor and generally not touching anything.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Akaash notices that the top of the wall has an odd bit of molding at the top; the angle at which they join the ceiling and wall seem off. He suddenly realizes that the are in fact disguised locks, and that the whole wall was being held up by them. He had a fraction of a second to realize it, as all of a sudden, the wall slid down the wall into its recess, revealing the ambush of fiery creatures you had fallen into. Thankfully, that fraction of a second was just enough time to shout, alerting the rest of the party to the attack and dodging out of the way. However, that was only one half of the attack, as another group had cut off your exit, pinchering you between them! The largest one shouts "नहीं, तुम उसे नहीं होगा । मर जाते हैं, आप नश्वर मैल!" in Ignan before barely missing Akaash.

Round 1 Fight!

Spoiler: map
    Show

Spoiler: Ignan
    Show
    No, you will not have her. Die, you mortal scum!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash turns to the smaller opening and summons a wall of wind, hopefully slowing the attack from that side.

"Her? Who her? What are you talking about?" He queries, repeating himself in ignan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 SP for energy wall (not boosting damage) blocking the bottom right group. 7d6 nonlethal to anything going through

Move up to have a decent altitude

An enemy failing a save will start his sequence

27. - Top - End - #177

"Fire Elementals, different shapes and sizes," calls out Malak. "The larger ones have so much heat that they buffer weapon attacks a little."

Malak lifts into the air as well and towards the forward line. He calls out in Ignan, <"मुझे नहीं पता कि वह कौन है, लेकिन अगर आप हमें उग्र स्वभाव से मिलते हैं, तो आप मुझे बर्फीले मूड में पाएंगे।">
    Spoiler: Ignan > Taldane Translation
    Show
    "I do not know who 'she' is, but if you meet us with fiery temperament, you shall find me in an icy mood."

He then lets loose with an icy blast at the Big 'Un to the north.
    Spoiler: Malak's Crunch
    Show
    MA: Move 10' into the air and 20' to the NW.
    * This gives him concealment (20% miss chance).
    SA: Planar detonation (cold) (1d20+9)[25] RTA, damage (6d6)[18] cold

Oddity closes on the Big One and attacks.
    Spoiler: Oddity's Crunch
    Show
    * IF the Big Guy hasn't actually gotten an attack in yet (i.e., it is still flat-footed), then Oddity strikes like the cheap bastard it is. He is already in reaching blade stance.
    SwA: Coward's Gambit
    MA: Move 5' NE, then 20' north. He has 10' reach on first attack in current stance.
    SA: Strike with Rippling Current w/ PA & +3 attack bonus for gambit (1d20+15)[19], damage (3d6+21)[33] + [/roll]1d6[/roll] stance + (3d6)[4] maneuver.

* IF the Big Guy is ready for it, Oddity changes his tactic.
    SwA: Switch to flowing water stance, which will increase AC to 36 as a base.
    MA: Move 25' N.
    * IF the Big Guy hasn't actually gotten an attack in yet, then Oddity strikes like the cheap bastard it is ...
    * IF the Big Guy is ready for it, Oddity doesn't bother with that, but instead takes a quick tumble at the end for an attack.
    SA: Strike using brilliant moon, with PA. This maneuver ignores foe's non-force based armor bonuses to AC.
    * Attack (1d20+15)[24], damage (3d6+21)[26] + (4d4)[9] force damage.

Either Case: If struck by one of the larger elementals .. NOT a small/medium one .... use half-gone counter. Stealth check = (1d20+21)[33]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma advances towards the largest elemental to the north and draws the attention of the six closest with a mix of rude gestures and aggressive posture, before swinging his shield at the biggun.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    AC: 29, HP: 158, Temp HP: 28, Delayed Damage Pool: 0/40, DR 8/-

5ft step north.

Free action: Berserking (-2 AC, +13 Temp HP, DR 5/-)

Move action: Mass Challenge the 4 to the west of the biggun, the biggun, and the one with the blue marker to the east of the biggun (+2 to hit Goma, -4 to hit anyone else, I deal +4 damage for 8 rounds. Any attacks made by the challenged creatures suffers a 20% miss chance.).

Standard action: Shield bash the biggun with Martial Power.

AOOs: Use 8 for Active Defense (+4 AC) with Smashing Counter (If they miss a creature benefitting from Active Defense, I get a free shield bash.). The other 2 are for making AOOs.

Shield: (1d20+18)[31], (2d6+16)[21]
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2021-10-29 at 02:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Though he seemed to be the only one in this little group of theirs who didn't know what the thing was saying, Alssariq still figured that 'talky one' meant 'leader'. His long knife appeared in his hand and he lunged forwards, careening next to Goma to slam it into the giant elemental's chest.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Tension: 3 -> 1
    SwA: Scout. (1d20+22)[34] If this is successful, it has -2 AC vs Alssariq and Alssariq gets +2 AC vs it.
    Move: Moving two squares northwest, two squares north, and one square northeast.
    Simple: Attack. Blowing focus on Berserker and using Power attack.
    Attack - (1d20+13)[18]
    Damage - (1d6+35)[36] (14 of this is dependent on scout working)

Also, because Alssariq moved more than 5ft, he has 20% concealment

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan
    AC 24 T 23 FF 19
    HP 79/79
    35% Miss Chance
    Concentrating

Rowan, seeing the number of foes arrayed before him, takes a defensive approach and prepares himself for a larger spell next round. First he draws his metamagic wand of widen from his belt. Then he rises slightly into the air as he chants a spell to alter the flow of time around himself to leave after images in his wake.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Draw Metamagic Rod of Widen.

Standard Action: Cast After Image on self using Concentration to Maintain.
    Gives 35% Miss chance until Concentration is broken.

Non-Action: 5ft. fly up. (Fly Modifier is +31 so should be plenty to ascend at greater than 45 degree angle and hover.