New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/PoW/SoM V: For Vendetta!

The party had limited success this round, sadly, as Malak and 'Riq failed to land a blow on the large elemental, whose flickering form made it harder to pin down than thought. Malak's companion landed true, as did Goma, but it seeming did little other than annoy the large foe. On the southerly front, Akaash and 'Zad tried to lock down the entrance to the east, with walls of air and force, causing the smaller ones to run off down the hall (though exactly where is difficult to see).

One of the larger ones was able to bust down the wall of force, allowing his compatriot to walk through the wall of air (injured, but indeterred) and smash 'Zad, setting her clothes alight. Multiple of the smaller elementals came down on the party, but Goma was able to slam his shield into them, deflecting their attacks and dissipating a few of them as they lacked the force to stay in one piece. And while the 'leader' of them wasn't able to land a blow thanks to Goma, one of the larger elementals did clip 'Riq for 14 damage as the flames lick at your flesh!

'Riq, make a Reflex save or get caught on fire like poor 'Zad has! Everyone else, Fight!

Spoiler
    Show

Enemies marked with a skull are marked by Goma
    Allies with a wing skull are N squares above the ground, as marked
    The leaves icon mean that 'Zad is on fire.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2021-11-12 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash rolls to get to his foe's side, checking it off-balance as he moves before delivering his strike.
    Spoiler
    Show
    5' step SE
    Sphere effect cast as standard giving damage (big elemental walking through wall) starts sequence (destruction imbue sequence for +3 damage)
    Shove vs fire elemental (1d20+16)[33] vs touch (target battered (-2 CMD) and +1 sequence (2 total)
    energy blade +bullrush (1d20+17)[28] (assumes shove hits, otherwise -1)
    damage (1d6+9)[15] +3 (destruction imbue) + (8d6)[25] nonlethal

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

bullrush (1d20+24)[44] vs battered

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

Malak floats back 5', maintainins the same altitude, and attempts something a little desperate, concentrating on something he hasn't called upon in a very long time - possibly in over a millenia. He gazes upon the Biggest Fire Guy to the north and says, in Ignan, *<"You have fought valiantly, but to stay is fruitless death. But if you leave, you may return in greater numbers.">*
    Spoiler: Malak's Crunch
    Show
    SwA: Re-allocate 3E from djinni's turban to Hyandil's flowered regalia.
    FA: 5' step. Auto-succeeds fly check to move < 1/2 speed.
    SA: Speaking in Ignan, using suggestion SLA (Will DC 19 neg.).

Oddity sees their master talking funny hissy-talk to the Big One, and they don't want to mess up whatever is happening. Instead, Oddity moves closer to the boss and says to Goma. "I have this one, go help Akaash over there ... even if your aggression has it follow you."

Oddity shortens up their grip and goes into a more fluid, defensive pose, doing a type of axespin that builds up a strange kinetic force on the blade, and strikes the western straggler.
    Spoiler: Oddity Crunch
    Show
    FA: 5' step W.
    SwA: Change to flowing water stance.
    SA: Strike Yellow-8 w/ brilliant moon, which ignores non-force-based armor bonuses, PA (1d20+15)[18], damage (3d6+21)[30] + (4d4)[10] force.

AC updated on sheet for stance.

Counter (IA): If attacked, use Half-Gone (q.v.). Stealth check (1d20+21)[24]
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma moves over to attack the smaller elemental due north of Akaash, inviting at least three opponents to attack him along the way.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    HP: 158, Temp HP: 13, DR: 8/-, AC: 29

Free action: Berserking

Move action: Move through Oddity's space and end up north of Akaash.

Standard action: Attack the small elemental to my north with the tower shield.

AOOs: Use 7 for Active Defense with Smashing Counter. The other 3 are for regular AOOs.

Shield: (1d20+18)[19], (2d6+18)[23]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Smarting and smoking, Alssariq follows the oldest of rules and immediately rolls away from the gargantuan elemental, hopefully extinguishing the flames. He comes up next to one of its smaller kin and drives his knife into what passes for its face.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Reflex: (1d20+16)[23]

Tension: 1 -> 3 -> 1
    Reminder that, if the scout roll was successful, it has -2 AC vs Alssariq and Alssariq gets +2 AC vs it.
    Move: Moving one square southwest and one square west
    Actobatics (1d20+24)[28] If this succeeds, Alssariq regains focus
    Simple: Attack. Blowing focus on Berserker and using Power attack to attack the smaller elemental
    Attack - (1d20+13)[22]
    Damage - (1d20+35)[47] (14 of this is dependent on scout working)

Also, because Alssariq moved more than 5ft, he has 20% concealment

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan
    HP 79/79
    AC 24 T 23 FF 19

Seeing combat quickly joined and lacking a suitable line for his area effect spell, Rowan focuses a blast of flame hot enough to hopefully burn fire itself at the large elemental in the southeast corner of the room. He ascends slightly higher in the air as he does so to avoid the ground melee.

Show
    5ft flight up in the air (Fly check auto succeeds)

Full Round Action: Searing Blast with all the fixins at the big elemental with a red 1 circle in the south east corner of the room.

RTA: (1d20+12)[26]
    Damage: (16d8+24)[102] Fire damage that treats fire immunity as Resist 40 and ignores 23 of that resistance.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fall back!" the elder elemental says as he is rocked by Rowan's blast and Malak's mental assault. "If you harm her, I'll be back!" he shouts in Ignan as he and the larger elementals flee. The smaller ones aren't as lucky as they have no clear line of escape. Should you let them, they also flee, but they don't have clear lines of egress and don't pose a threat on their own.

Once the elementals have left, you're left alone in the hallway once more, with only the door at the end the hall left unexplored.

9. - Top - End - #189

"If you harm her, I'll be back," Malak echoes, but this time in Taldane. "Who is 'her?' Any ideas?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash shakes his head. "I don't recall who that could refer to. I will be annoyed if all that was some misunderstanding with over-eager bodyguards."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Alighting upon the ground once more, Rowan looks around at where the departed elementals once stood and says, ”Well they left in a flash. Where to next?”

12. - Top - End - #192

"The door down there looks tempting," says Malak. "Oddity, go with Alssariq to check that door. Make sure they didn't leave any present for the rest of us to cover their withdrawal."

Assuming Alssariq takes his role of door/trap-checker, Oddity will assist him.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-02-24 at 07:50 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddity and 'Riq inspect the door, finding it free from traps, though it takes a bit for people of normal strength to pry open. Once you do, however, you feel a rush of cool air exit the room, as you hear the tinkling of water. Once it's fully open, you see a large fountain in the center of the room, its basin composed of fire-glazed porcelain inset with lapis lazuli and its central font constructed of marble of the purest white. A jet of cool water gushes into the air and falls back into the basin where it slowly drains away, causing the gas lamps to flicker in the moisture-laden air.

After a few seconds, the jet of water in the fountain solidifies into the shape of a large woman made of water. She smiles at the party* before speaking. “I am glad you have come, children of the Mortal Realms. Long have I languished in this place. I am a daughter of a line of rulers long gone from the Realm of Water. I am Shazathared. Many of your lifetimes ago was I tricked and abducted by the efreeti prince who would now be consort to Ymeri, Queen of the Inferno**. Jhavhul was his name, and he called upon mighty magic of the ancients to imprison me within this fountain. He wanted me first to entertain him, but as his lust for Ymeri grew, his interest in me waned until, finally, he ceased his visits to me altogether. I know not what occurred, but Jhavhul has not returned in these many centuries, and I long for the companionship of my kin."

“While I know little of this palace of brass, I do know that somewhere within it lies a source of immeasurable power—a potent artifact hidden somewhere in the palace above our heads whose theft has brought down the curse that traps us all here. What it is I cannot say, other than that its presence feels like a malignant, choking algae on the surface of a spring pool. Find this source and either destroy it or have it taken from this place, and I feel that the curse upon this realm will be lifted. And with it, my prison shall be weakened. Free me, and you shall be richly rewarded and gain the eternal friendship of the Marid Court.”

Spoiler: * DC 15 Perception check
    Show
    Shazathared seems to be looking at Shaharazad when she speaks.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    While Shazathared's clearly looking at 'Zad, she's not looking at her face, but instead at her (chastely covered) bosom
    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    You realize that she's not looking at 'Zad's chest, but through it; she senses something 'Zad is carrying in her pack

Spoiler: ** DC 15 K:Planes
    Show
    Ymeri rather famously does not have a consort. Whether that is because she's yet to meet a suitor impressive enough or if she simply isn't interested in sex and/or romance is known only to her, however.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2022-02-25 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Didn't color all of her text

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash listens with interest, the planes a subject of his past study.
    Spoiler: checks
    Show
    auto-pass know: planes (+18 mod)
    perception (1d20+17)[33]

That the creature's gaze rests on Shaharazad's pack does not escape his notice, however. "Jhavul was trapped in a pocket dimension; unfortunately, he has been freed. Shazathared, your name is familiar..." He looks at Shaharazad questioningly.
    Last edited by stack; 2022-02-25 at 01:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

"How rude to kidnap someone and then forget about them. The more I hear about this Jhavhul, the less I think of him."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+19)[38]

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Malak's Perception (1d20+12)[16], +5 for traps.
    Malak's Knowledge (Planes) = Auto-success.

Oddity's Perception (1d20+13)[23], +3 for traps, +2 vs. ambush.

Shahrazad's Perception (1d20)[19]
    Shahrazad's Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+13)[30]

Noticing Shazathared's general gaze, Malak says, "Your stories are legend. Shahrazad, please show the lady your copy of The Songs of Shazathared."

Meanwhile, Oddity quietly observes.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-02-25 at 04:44 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

As 'Zad goes for her pack, the marid waves her off. "No need; I can sense its presence. It gladdens me that my work is still held in high regard." She then lowers her hands before shrugging. "I have really limited options here, but I'll help how I can." She then goes on to explain that her fountain is a good source of water; while not magical in and of itself, it does magically replenish itself, so the party is free to fill their waterskins here. She offers her spellcasting capabilities* to the party, as well as telling the party about a secret door in one of the far rooms that leads deeper into the building. Other than that and a promise of safety should the party decide to rest in this chamber for the evening, she cannot aid you more.

Spoiler: * DC 15 K: Planes
    Show
    Though no one knows why, planar scholars know that the magic of (non-native) outsiders is different to that of mortals. Some think that their magic uses techniques from earlier iterations of the universe, while others think that with an effectively infinite amount of time on their hands, they hyperspecialized their magic into specific forms. Regardless, the fact remains that outsiders don't use spheres like regular folks.
    Show
    It's possible to for a mortal to learn these techniques, but they require intricate rituals, and the more powerful a spell, the longer the ritual required; the most powerful ones can take days to complete.
    Spoiler: DC 25
    Show
    Planar scholars believe that mechanically, they shape their magics into specific forms and keep the mostly complete spell (that they cannot really alter like how mortals can) until they speak a word that finished the spell and the magic releases. They have dubbed this style of magic Variable Non-Customizable Neuromancy, or VNCN magic.

Spoiler: Shaz's spells
    Show
    4th (1/day)—dimension door, modify memory (DC 21)
    3rd (4/day)—confusion (DC 20), displacement, glibness, haste
    2nd (5/day)—cure moderate wounds, detect thoughts (DC 19), mirror image, suggestion (DC 19)
    1st (5/day)—cure light wounds, grease (DC 18), identify, obscure object
    0 (3/day)—dancing lights, ghost sound (DC 17), mage hand, mending, message, prestidigitation
    You also know that as a marid, she has a 1/year wish that she could give, but the fact that she didn't offer it means that it'd take a bit of talking to convince her to use it.

18. - Top - End - #198

Spoiler: Malak's Roll
    Show
    Malak's Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+16)[24]
    "You can sense ... a book's ... presence?" Malak asks, surprised. He says nothing further, but thinks on that.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-02-26 at 07:36 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Spoiler: Malak's Roll
    Show
    Malak's Knowledge (Planes) [roll0]
    "You can sense ... a book's ... presence?" Malak asks, surprised. He says nothing further, but thinks on that.
    "It's less the book and more the words themselves." Shaz says. "It's a useful trick the magisters of Vialesk created to circumvent forgery. I picked it up during my short clerical career, but that was an age ago" You're 90% certain that she means "as a clerk" rather than "as a cleric", but it's clear that she's well past it regardless.

20. - Top - End - #200

"We thank you, Luminous Shazathared, for your story and what help you will aid us in spells should we need. For completeness' sake, I hope you don't mind that we search this room for signs of any concealments?"

And Malak and Oddity will begin doing exactly that ... looking for secret doors and anything else of note in this room.
    Show
    Yes, I SEE that there aren't on the map you provided, but it wouldn't make sense beyond metagaming to not include this room.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

She waves her hands, expressing her indifference for such a search. Indeed, there's nothing of note in this room outside of the fountain; should you choose to rest here, you should be safe.

22. - Top - End - #202

"Alright, let's get moving. My lady," says Malak, nodding in respect to the marid.

Intention is to have Oddity and Malak begin searching walls on the south side of the large passage heading east. Those three pairs of alcoves are looking pretty sus.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: planes
    Show
    (1d20+18)[28]
    Akaash takes the time to fill refill his water. "A secret door is promising. You don't go to the trouble of hiding it for no reason."
    Last edited by stack; 2022-02-28 at 08:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Shaz wishes you well as she slinks back into the water, reminding you of the secret door in the northeast chamber. Wanting to be thorough, Malak investigates the southern alcoves and does indeed find a hidden door. Inside you find a bare chamber, save for a few sitting rugs on the floor and the slumped, mummified form of a long-dead humanoid wearing shreds of decayed leather armor and silk scarves. It clutches a thin silver wand in one hand.

Spoiler: DC 10 Perception
    Show
    It's possible that the mummy is undead, but you're not sure
    Show
    You don't think the mummy is still animate
    Spoiler: DC 30
    Show
    You're reasonably certain that the mummy's just a corpse.
    Spoiler: DC 40
    Show
    Yeah, that's definitely not animate anymore

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Squinting at the mummified corpse in the room, Rowan makes a deduction that it is not animate. ”I was worried that we would have to fight that mummy there. I am pretty sure it’s just a corpse though. However…”

Rowan then gathers his magic into a spell and blasts the corpse for good measure. ”I have been wrong before. Best not to chance these things.”

Show

Full Searing Blast: (1d20+12)[30] v touch
    Damage: (16d8+24)[85] Fire damage.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

The desiccated body (or at least, what remained after the blast) quickly catches on fire and leaves a smoldering mess, catching one of the rugs on fire as well. The good news is that the corpse was indeed just a corpse. The bad news is that whatever it was carrying is now in s flaming wreck on the ground, likely burned/melted beyond repair.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma flinches from the blast flying past him. "I love the enthusiasm Rowan. I would have liked to have searched the body for his identity though. Maybe Shazathared remembers who this was?"

28. - Top - End - #208

Malak asks 'zad to say a prayer for the deceased, and then continues on down the hallway ... searching for traps and other concealments.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash shrugs at his companion's enthusiastic caution and keeps on following the trap-searchers, floating above the ground.
    Last edited by stack; 2022-03-03 at 12:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Heading north, you find the room the elementals ambushed you at. The only thing of note is the brazier and wall ornament you previously saw, but now you're in the room, you can see a door to the east left slightly ajar; this must have been how the elementals fled after their battle.

What do you do?