New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

Image nods, and before Jame departs, says, "Well, I could use a room today, and a meal, at your earliest convenience. Please, don't rush." While she waits at the bar, she does her best to "tune in" to different conversations...

"Image" - Half-Elven Warlock of the Celestial
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

Jame nods and tells Lark to get your room prepared. Lark promptly disappears through a doorway, leaving Jame alone at the bar. Jame bounces from barfly to customer to Willem, stopping only to put together drinks and meals. Jame tosses a bowl of brown... something in front of you and a second bowl of the same stuff next to Willem. Willem grins as he stares at the bowl and grabs a heaping spoonful, stuffing it into his mouth. Last Call Stew. he utters between chews.

As you look over the bar, you cannot help yourself but to hear some conversations. The Dwarves are possibly the loudest table in the place, so they are the easiest to hear.

Dwokhumlin, we cannot just sit at Aramoor forever, one of the Dwarves offers to a particularly heavyset Dwarf with a thick black beard. If we don't repair our ship soon, we may never get our... prize. The Dwarf called Dwokhumlin lets out a hearty belly laugh and finishes a glass of whatever-it-was-he-was-drinking. He then goes on about the weakness of the alcohol.

Bored by the talk of weak alcohol and broken ships, you notice the pair of Elves still sitting at a table near the Dwarves. They are both blonde and both carry a forlorn expression with their purple and gold robes. They have glasses of a reddish drink and plates of greens that have barely been touched.

Aldon one Elf says quietly I am aware the path home is overrun, but if we are not willing to fight our way home, what right do we have to call ourselves guards let alone Elves? Aldon shrugs before his shoulders slump and his expression droops. He picks at his plate of greens, but never actually eats anything.

Lark returns from the doorway and Jame yells to you from across the bar that the room is ready for whenever you're ready to get some rest.

3. - Top - End - #63

Image breathes a sigh of relief as she sits down and collects herself. Moreso when the food is placed in front of her. She smiles at Willem's remark about the stew, and eats it, listening in on the conversations while conversing idly with Willem.

The plight of the two Elves catches her interest moreso than that of the Dwarves. The prizes of Dwarves are often guarded by Dragons and Goblinoids, it would seem. And there is no food or song or cheer to be found or gained from any of their coins...

The Elves, too, could wait. Her tiredness could not! When Lark tells her of the room being ready, Image bids Willem farewell and crosses the dutiful woman's hand with a Gold coin before entering her room. "How much would this buy me, in terms of meals, and for how long? I've rations for on the road, but a warm meal on your own time would be preferred should I ever return here." Is Image showing humility?

"I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you take a bite from the stew, you pass out and awaken on a boat... just kidding!

You enjoy a meal that tastes surprisingly good, and are surprised when Willem tells you the Last Call stew consists of food that is about to spoil. After Lark returns, she takes the gold coin. Lark looks at the coin, then at you, then back at the coin. This will have you covered for a long time! she beams and brushes some blonde strands of hair from her face before she hurries to stow the coin in a nearby jar. People continue to filter into the tavern and each chair is filled. More patrons file in, and they opt to stand around tables and the bar.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    If you are heading to your room for the night, let me know if there is anything Image does before before or after she wakes up before she heads out. The room is pretty basic, and lacking in decoration, but it has everything you need.

5. - Top - End - #65

The food was cheap, the accomodations free, and the staff friendly. Image could get used to this. She closes the door to her room and changes into, well, clothing. Anything that isn't cuir bouilli. And takes account of everything. She keeps her sickle and crowbar next to her bed, daggers in the wall between planks at each side of the bed, and hammer on the nightstand, if present. Then, she puts one of her pitons on top of the doorframe, so that it would make noise if she were to be intruded upon. Every point of entry gets the same treatment.

Her paranoid preparations perfected, Image settles in, and takes a nap. Or goes to sleep for the night, depending on the time of day. Anything to get naturally-occurring sleep, and not that drug-induced nonsense!

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Nothing special for her!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

While the tavern is loud and rambunctious that night, the room is quiet and you awaken well-rested.

Heading out into the tavern, it is surprisingly quiet. A man in dark robes sits at a table alone. He sips on some dark-colored beverage while reading a note, but the tavern is otherwise empty. Jame is behind the bar, wiping down some flatware as you walk in. She gives you a nod and a smile.

I take it you slept well. Any idea where you're headed today?

7. - Top - End - #67

Image had a dream, of a silver sea inhabited by motes of light and floating islands and structures. Then, of wilderness and mountains. Marbled cities on islands in vast seas. In this dream, she hears a voice speak to her in the Celestial language. Upon awakening, she recalls the voice telling her about her destiny and the path that she is taking to fulfill it. She awakens with a longing to see these places again for herself, but that quickly fades.

After donning her armour and weapons and removing her pitons, Image comes downstairs. "Oh, just to discuss business with someone... I'm in the market for supplies. Mostly oil for my armour, I'm running low. Perhaps whetstones and chalk, too. Whatever breakfasts you recommend, I'll take."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame nods. Business? Well gods be with you on that. Whatever supplies you may need, you'll likely find it on Trader's Row, and of course each merchant will insist they have the best prices and best products. Also, if you happen to find Punnuh out there, let him know that the vendor never arrived with our weekly stock of produce. Punnuh probably forgot to set up the appointment again, and he'll need to get that taken care of.

Jame hands you a soft-boiled egg covered in sausage and returns to her daily duties.

9. - Top - End - #69

Image found herself once again being asked to find... babysit... Punnuh. She eats her meal, heading outside to peruse the stands. The chalk, oil, and whetstones were a ruse. She seeks out Adelbert, to see what work he wished.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Walking out into the courtyard, you find it to be much quieter than it had been when you arrived. Carpenters haul large planks across the courtyard, while merchants haul various goods around. A pair of guards enter the guard house to your left, offering a brief greeting to the same man with the blue moon tattoo before going inside. To your right, some merchants are setting up their tables and stands, but you see Adelbert is already working over a customer. His table is lined up neatly with a colorful array of spices and oils all contained in neat little glass jars. He waves his arms before pointing at the customer. 100 gold! You can take this deal, or you can take a hike!

The customer walks off mumbling to himself, and Adelbert shares a grin as he looks at you. I see you've come for some work! Excellent!

Adelbert looks to the merchants on either side of him before leaning towards you and speaking quietly. I'm in need of a rare gem located at Horn Lake for a new spice blend. It's called Psilch Pearl, but I don't know for sure where it is. I know there's a Kobold camp at that lake, so maybe you can... persuade them to tell you where it is. Since you handled those Aramoor hornets, I'm sure some Kobolds should be no trouble.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2020-12-30 at 01:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Image looks thoughtfully at Adelbert. "Sounds like a plan... How do I stand to benefit from this, though? I am putting myself at risk, engaging these kobolds."

(1d20+5)[13]

Show
    Attempting to Persuade Adelbert to not be a skinflint and remunerate me for my troubles!

Would it be possible, since I haven't used Eldritch Spear yet, to swap it out for Mask of Many Faces? I feel like that would help me more right now, and in general.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Without hesitation, Adelbert responds. 100 gold.

He places twenty gold pieces on his table and motions for you to take them. I did not think a brave warrior like yourself would be scared of some measly Kobolds, but if you need it, here is the deposit. Adelbert also offers you a crudely drawn map of the area so you know where to go for Horn Lake. It has Makirak, Twine, and other random locations marked on it too.

Show
    As for the edit, yeah that is totally fine!
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2020-12-30 at 06:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Image pushes the twenty back, as a gesture of her good will. "Less afraid, more afraid of working for free." She retrieves the map, and looks it over before putting it in her bag. "I'll be back."

Image makes her way out of town as fast as possible, heading to Lake Horn. Attacking the kobolds head-on would be downright stupid as but one person. But with a disguise, she could manage to go in and out of the encampment with minimal difficulty. She recalls learning how to weave her illusions so long ago, and how she was always so close to perfecting them on herself, but so far from maintaining them. But from her dream, she felt flashes of insight. Saw herself training.

Perhaps now...

"I believe the truth before my eyes... they shall believe it, too. I call now this disguise upon myself." Image weaves illusion magics around herself, and concentrates. Blonde hair. Tan skin. Human ears. Really ostentatious grey robes. She seems satisfied with what she can see of this, frowning however when her fingers pass through the sleeves, smiling when she draws her dagger to check her reflection. With a nod, she sheathes the weapon and casts the spell again. This time, she focuses on an armour-clad dwarven form. As she comes closer to the lake, she focuses on aslightly taller form with stooped posture, clawed hands, filthy dark hair, green-tinged skin, sunken yellow eyes, and torn leather robes with bits of had, boiled skin fastened to it. Kobolds, meet "Antsy Vanessa Rubblebody"...

She stops just short of what she hopes is their field of vision...

Show
    Disguise self -- first, to see if Image can do it, since she doesn't know that she can really cast this spell, and is just sort of theorising at this point. Once she's confident in her ability, she will assume the form of a (short) green hag who can speak better and more amicably than most hags.

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2020-12-30 at 10:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Approaching the Kobold camp, you are promptly met with the strong smell of burnt meat. A pillar of smoke comes from a cooking fire, with a mysterious meat rotating just above the tips of the flames. A pair of red-scaled Kobolds watch over the burning meat but do not seem concerned by the very-well-done roast.

Across the rest of the camp, you watch as a few dozen Kobolds walk about the camp. Some seem to have purpose, tending to nets and huts, while other Kobolds seem to just be wandering aimlessly. The Kobolds' scales all glisten in a different color, offering a Kobold rainbow across the camp. A larger Kobold sits on an oversized throne made of what seems to be bones from a large beast. The Kobold has a crudely made crown on its head and points to the lake.

You also notice a pair of Kobolds rowing out on the lake on a small canoe. It looks like they are casting a net, but it is hard to tell from your distance. Horn Lake looks quite peaceful, with only the canoeing Kobolds breaking the stillness. The lake is a deep blue with only a few tall blade of grass breaking through the surface.

Show
    Your spell is cast successfully.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2020-12-30 at 11:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Image decides that the best approach would be to sneak up to the nearest and most isolated kobold and beguile it. In the case of more than one such kobold, she will choose the one that looks the most impressionable... and isn't looking in her direction. "I want such excellence allowed to me, that I may win them over..." Being somewhat sensible, she stands as far away as demi-humanly possible while working this spell, even over such a simple mind.

Once this has been accomplished, she beckons it over, approaching slowly, her weapons sheathed and hands down. "Hello, pretty..." Image attempts a guttural voice.

(1d20+5)[24]

Show
    Charm person on the nearest, most isolated kobold. Deception roll -- just in case it can smell through Image's prestidigitating palookie.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

With all the Kobolds wandering about, you do notice one of the Kobolds wandering aimlessly away from the camp. Unsure of what it is doing, you determine this Kobold is isolated enough for you to charm. You step out, casting your spell, and the Kobold freezes immediately. Its green scaly face stares at you blankly.

Pretty...
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2020-12-31 at 10:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

"Please, help poor Vanessa..." Image pleads to the kobold, pointing to herself. "I've a need for something that grows around here... Psilch Pearls, if you've heard of them? Some nasty gnomes have run me out of my home, and... I've a need for them, that I may get back at them." She pauses. "With the pearls."

(1d20+5)[7]

Show
    Attempting to persuade Meepo to help an old woman out.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Kobold stares at you blankly, watching the strange-looking figure ask for a favor. After a moment or two of silence, the short Kobold points back at the large crown-wearing Kobold that continues to point at the lake.

Me no know. Kobash know.

19. - Top - End - #79

"Could you show Vanessa to Kobash? I feel like we could all work together against those horrible gnomes..."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Kobold continues to give you a blank stare, nodding slowly in a low-effort attempt to show he is listening. The Kobold looks back at Kobash then looks back at you and shrugs. The Kobold leads you into the Kobold camp, and you can't help but notice that all the Kobolds stop and stare at you, even the ones that were aimlessly wandering. All reptilian eyes are fixed on you as you step deeper and deeper into the Kobold lakeside camp. Thankfully, it's not a very large camp. A few dozen Kobolds seem to be camped here along with a few dog-like creatures tied up by the lake. As you get closer, you notice the flimsy build of the huts. Twigs and twine hold these little huts together, and it seems a gentle breeze could be devastating for this camp. The smell of burnt meat gets stronger with each step, masking that dreaded dead fish smell.

Finally, you approach the throne of Kobash. The large bones that make up the throne seem to be from a giant beast of some sort, so thankfully they are the bones of Elf or Human. Kobash is staring out into the lake, watching the canoeing Kobolds until you approach. He stares at you with yellow eyes and rubs his tubby tummy. His gaze slowly turns to a glare, and he looks at the Kobold that dared bring an uninvited guest.

Vanessa kill Gnome. Vanessa need Psilch Pearl.

Kobash hunches forward in his throne, maintaining a silent stare. Kobolds begin to close in on you slowly, maintaining a safe distance, but clearly curious to observe the interaction. Moments pass until Kobash finally speaks in a growly tone.

You want Psilch Pearl? Everyone want Psilch Pearl. I help you get Psilch Pearl, but Kobash need your help first. Kobash points out into the lake, and everyone watches the canoeing Kobolds. As if on cue, the canoe tips over and submerges in a massive splash. The canoe shoots back out of the water, but the Kobolds remain submerged. You can hear Kobolds gasp as they watch their mates disappear in the lake, and you hear them mumbling among themselves in hushed tones.

You want Psilch Pearl? Kobash asks. Kill Horn Lake Beast!

21. - Top - End - #81

Image lets out a sigh of relief internally as the kobolds seem to fall for her trickery. Aside from the occasional adjustment of her posture or staged popping of a bone back into place, she nods politely... manipulatively... at Kobash. At first, she thought that the simple fellow would need her help in repairing boats, or perhaps not asking fish to politely come out of the water but catch them with lures or nets. But then, she sees the two boating kobolds capsize... and get eaten? She stifles her gasp with a loud hiss of disapproval, and a growl. Then, she turns to Kobash. "Vanessa will see to that beast..." Her voice is as sinister as a hag's might be, yet reassuring.

She turns her torso and cranes her neck, and then returns her gaze to Kobash. "What will lure this horrible eater of kobolds out? Vanessa will help you, if you will help her to help you." She points to her enthralled kobold. "And could her friend, here, be of service to her?" Feigning the madness of a hag, something that she had only read about and heard of in stories, she repeats, in a hushed tone, "Help her to help you..."

(1d20+1)[11]

Show
    Roll was Nature, to see what those dog-critters in the cages might be.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobash nods slowly as you make a request for some support from your enthralled Kobold. Kobash looks over the green Kobold beside you before looking back at you with a bit of confusion. Old Hag need Kloppa? Old Hag can have Kloppa! Kobash responds before trying to lift from his throne. He pushes up with scrawny scaly arms, but his thick torso barely lifts from his seat before he gives up and sits back, playing it cool in hopes that no one noticed his failed attempt to pull himself to his feet. He continues his response.

Kobash only know that Horn Lake Beast eat Kobold. Kobash know no more. The Kobolds around you nod and murmur in agreeing grumbles. Kobald no understand help Hag help Kobash. Kobash want Hag to fight Horn Lake Beast. You kill Horn Lake Beasts. Kobolds be free. Kobash help Hag with Psilch Pearl! The Kobolds around you applaud and cheer in short gravelly cheers and hoots.

Hag! Hag! Hag! Hag!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The 4 caged dogs you observed are Mastiffs. There are a scary size, but they do not seem to care at all that a Hag has entered the camp.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-03 at 08:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Image-Vanessa does a nod that turns into a bow and a turn, tenting and wringing her fingers as she does, and beckons Kloppa to follow her. "Come with Vanessa, Kloppa... you will become a hero of your people." She circles the lake until she is more or less out of the sight of the encampment. As she does, she asks the hapless little fellow what the beast likes, and what lures it out of its lair. She also asks for a description, just to see what she might be up against. Some overfed alligator would be fine; an aboleth, however, would not at all be fine.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kloppa rushes along behind you as you work your way about the lake. He is unsure of what you are looking for, and he looks around when you finally stop. He offers a confused look in response to your statement.

Kobolds no know about Horn Lake Beast. It make large shadow in water, but pull Kobold in water before Kobold can see what Horn Lake Beast is. Kobold never survive. It like taste of Kobold. Kloppa offers with a disappointed shrug. Kloppa did see Horn Lake Beast shadow once! It was... Kloppa stops as he scans the area. He finally points a scaly finger at a tree about 10 feet away. Horn Lake Beast shadow size about from Kloppa to tree. Shadow change shape, so Kloppa take canoe away from Horn Lake Beast, but other canoe... not as fast as Kloppa.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-04 at 01:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Image stops with Kloppa, and mutters to herself as if consulting with herself, much like she figures a Hag might do. While she pretends to give the kobold little heed, she is taking his counsel. "That will do... yes, Vanessa, that will do..."

Image grabs an idle stone, or even a clod of dirt, and then begins to intone and gesture. "I believe the truth before my eyes... they shall believe it, too. I call now this minor illusion." Image points at the surface of the water, chucks the stone, and creates the illusion of a swimming kobold. With any luck, this beast was, again, dumb and impressionable. She draws her sickle. "It shan't eat you, Kloppa... heroes don't taste very good." Her illusion's grimy teeth show in a sickening smile.

Show
    Casting minor illusion to create an optical illusion of a kobold swimming in the water; throwing something into the water to make the illusion more believable.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kloppa nods silently and watches as you toss the stone into the water. A substantial splash sprays across the area, then the waters still. Kloppa narrows his gaze, as he watches what he thinks is a swimming Kobold. He looks around the area, curious about where this Kobold came from. He looks up at you, and motions to the swimming illusion. Where did Kobold come from?

In response to his question, you witness a growing shadow working its way towards the illusion. It rests underneath the water, but it is difficult to make out its shape. The shadow begins to shift its shape and closes in on your illusion in a hurry. The water around your illusion ripples before going frantic as flashes of blue and orange are seen around the Kobold illusion. In moments, the water goes calm again, the Kobold illusion still swimming in the still water.

Kloppa looks at you. Horn Lake Beast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    To make out what the blue and orange flashes were, I would need a roll for that as it was pretty quick.

27. - Top - End - #87

(1d20)[14]
    Mystery Roll As Ordered By Game Master!

28. - Top - End - #88

"Vanessa called an image of a kobold! It wasn't a real kobold, it's as fake to anyone as a gnome's love for its children is fake. Umm..." Image removes a crowbar from her bag, and then some rope. She ties the two together, and also fastens three of her pitons close to the crowbar.

Once again, she creates an image of a kobold, this time over the crowbar. She hurls it into the lake.

Show
    Minor illusion over a crowbar and pitons tied to a rope, to try to once again lure this beast out.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kloppa watches you toss the crowbar quietly. You wait patiently, hoping to snag the Horn Lake Beast with your makeshift fishing system. Kloppa is impressed by your craftsmanship, and sits down beside you. The lake is quiet and calm, free of Kobolds.

The shadow reappears, and water begins to splash around the crowbar! You watch the shadow shift below the crowbar, bolting to the surface in a mess of splashing water. The crowbar bounces along the splashing water, but there is no big mouth that grips onto the crowbar. Instead, you watch as dozens of smaller mouths nip at the crowbar and Kobold illusion. Flashes of orange and blue swirl around the crowbar in a splashing frenzy, and you recognize the "Horn Lake Beast" immediately as a swarm of Quippers. After a few moments pass, the Quippers fail to get a substantial grip on the crowbar, and the Kobold illusion loses its luster. The Quipper Swarm slows down.

30. - Top - End - #90

Fish-creatures. Dozens of fish-creatures. Image sighs, but masks it as a growl -- she does, after all, have to pretend to be haggish. This might take her a while...

(1d20+5)[13]
    (1d10)[6]

Show
    Eldritch blast at the quippers...