New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

A bolt of energy shoots from you, splashing into the water and sizzling on contact. A few Quippers float to the surface and drift in the slowing current, clearly dead, while the rest drop below the surface into a shadowy figure below the surface. The shadow shifts in shape slowly moving towards you well under the water’s surface.

With your blast, Kloppa jumps to his feet and pulls a dagger. He bares tiny pointy teeth, and stands ready to pounce on any Quippers that dare approach.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-07 at 01:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

Confident in her ability to kill this foul "beast" plaguing Horn Lake, Image drags her "lure" out of the water, but stops once it is out when she sees that she shadow in the lake is getting bigger... and approaching her. She draws her sickle, and searches within for a moment.

"Uncertain and beautiful things I command... this guiding bolt is one of them." Wasting no time, Image fires a blast of positive energy at this shadowy approach.

(1d20+5)[19]
    (4d6)[17]

"Image" - Half-Elven Warlock of the Celestial
    Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Guiding bolt at... whatever it is that's approaching Image and Koopa.

"I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your bolt whizzes through the air, hitting the shadowy figure in a sizzling splash. Kloppa stares keenly where the bolt hits the water, his little blade still ready to slice.

You smell fried fish, and several more fish float lifelessly to the surface. The shadow shrinks down considerably, but continues swimming towards you. Before you are able to cast your next spell, the shrunken down shadow in the water emerges, and five Quippers lunge at you from the water. Four of the Quippers manage to scrape you with tiny sharp teeth, cutting like little knives against you as they fly by. The Quippers all fall onto the shore, flipping aimlessly before you. Kloppa rushes towards one with his blade and pierced one, causing it to die instantly.

The remaining four Quippers slow their flopping before you, struggling to breathe the fresh lake air.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Quipper “Swarm” deals 4 damage to you. The swarm is also considered prone.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-08 at 02:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Image cries out in pain, and then like any in combat exerting themselves would as she hacks away with her sickle at one of the Quippers. "Your entrails will make a fine trophy... YES THEY WILL!"

(1d20+2)[7]
    (1d6)[3]

Show
    Hewing at the Quippers with sickle.

"I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

With the Quippers flopping around you, you hack away at the nearest fish. Your sickle misses the small fish, pulling up chunks of earth instead.

The Quippers flop around a bit, with two of them moving for the lake. With a desperate heave, they both flip into the water like a gymnast, beautifully sticking the landing and disappearing into the lake.

The Quipper that you had swung your sickle at retaliates, flipping up and getting your hand with a scrape of its teeth. The last Quipper flips into the nearby Kloppa. It manages to scrape Kloppa, forcing out a screech from the green Kobold.

In a bit of a frenzy, Kloppa swings out his blade frantically, but manages to only slice the air in his desperation.

Show
    Both you and Kloppa take a point of damage. The two Quippers in the water are retreating from combat, and the two Quippers on the land are still flipping around.

6. - Top - End - #96

Image continues to attack fish alongside a scaled and atrophied dragonkin. Surely, the highlight of this nearly fifty-year-old's adventuring career. Having been struck, however, she steps back after she swings her sickle.

(1d20+2)[20]
    (1d6)[3]

Show
    Hewing at the Quippers with sickle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your sickle glistens in the sunlight as it slices towards the struggling Quipper. It cleanly cuts through the floundering fish, leaving it gutted in the grass. The final Quipper flops into the air aimlessly before Kloppa swings out his tiny blade at the fish. He skewers the fish with the flick of his wrist, killing it instantly.

Kloppa stares at the Quipper at the end of his dagger then looks at you. “Horn Lake Beast dead?”

Show

Sorry for not having red text in the speech. I’m out of town and on my phone...

Anyways! You have succeeded in combat against the Swarm of Quippers! Because of everything you’re doing, I’ll just let you know when you’ve leveled up. So far, your reward for this combat is a pair of dead fish. Congrats!

8. - Top - End - #98

Image breathes a sigh of relief. "The beasts are dead... they're dead. They won't trouble you anymore. They're dead. We need to bring your loved ones proof, that they might rest more easily, and that you might be a hero." She then skewers as many intact fish as she can on her crowbar, which is still tied to her rope, two on the spikes, and as many as she can fit on her sickle. It's a grisly, nauseating display, but she does want to bring proof to the kobolds.

Image makes her way to the kobold encampment with Kloppa and her grisly trophies. She hides any disgust that she might have at this, covering her groans with more positive(?) verbal tics.

Show
    If need be, Image will renew her illusion, claiming if questioned that it's to throw off gnomes.

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-09 at 02:52 AM. Reason: BEE POSITIVE DON'T BEE NATURAL!!!!!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you skewer the Quippers with anything that can skewer a Quipper, Kloppa nods and stares at the fish at the end of his dagger. He sniffs it, then chooses to take a bite of it. Chewing slowly, he nods in approval.

Returning to the Kobold encampment as a hag with an abundance of dead fish, Kobash sees you coming and straightens on his bone throne. Other Kobolds take notice as well, and a gathering quickly forms around Kobash. Kobash looks you over with yellow eyes, seemingly staring directly into your soul... if only a Kobold understood. Seeing the Quippers that you carry, and the half-eaten Quipper that Kloppa brought as well, Kobash sits quietly for a few moments before a toothy grin stretches wide on his face.

You bring Kobold feast, Hag?

10. - Top - End - #100

Image carefully removes the skewered fish from her equipment. "Vanessa has brought you the Horn Lake Beasts. There were many beasts. Vanessa and Kloppa killed them all. There are more bodies down there. Bodies, there are more bodies. We brought them to you, that they might feed you, as you once fed them. Eat them. Eat them."

Image scowls at the fish. "Vanessa also smells the marks of gnomish magics on them... the gnomes tricked them into acting this way! Vanessa knows trickery, too. Vanessa will trick the gnomes' badgers and moles and voles into eating them..."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Kobolds all close in on you in a hurry, chanting your name. Hag! Hag! Hag! Hag! They all fight over the fish, each trying to snatch handfuls of the dead Quippers. Kobash sits quietly on his throne, nodding slowly. A toothy grin stretches across his face, and he raises his hands. Well done Hag! You prove to be true protector of Horn Lake!

Kobash attempts to pull himself up from his throne, but his arms give way, and he tumbles forward off his throne. He rolls a few times, finally landing on his stomach a few feet before you. He looks around, and exhales as he sees the other Kobolds are more interested in the fish than their fallen leader. He offers you a smile, and speaks as though he had not just fallen off his throne and tumbled a few times, totally eating dust the whole time.

Psilch Pearl in Psilch Clam. Kobash groans, pointing a scaly bony finger to his throne. Under the decorative bone, where he had firmly planted his rotund tail, you notice a large large clam. It is about as wide as a mule, and shares the same color white as the bones that adorn it. Kobash rests his tired head on the ground, as the Kobolds continue to fight over the fish behind him.

Show
    Congrats!

You can now crack open the Psilch Clam and obtain the Psilch Pearl! I believe someone is waiting for it...

12. - Top - End - #102

Image shoves her crowbar into the clam in an attempt to open it. "Vanessa thanks you for your service." She presses down with her foot, hopefully wrenching the clam open.

(1d20)[18]

Show
    Strength check, if at all necessary.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

With minimal effort, the clam opens up and you see a massive cream-colored pearl resting in the center of the clam. It is about the size of your head, and it glistens in the sun. Kloppa walks up behind you and stares at the Psilch Pearl with widened eyes.

Psilch Pearl he utters quietly.

Still lying on the ground, Kobash calls to you. Hag, you help Kobold. Kobash thankful. he says and motions to a pile of various goods. Take.

Show
    For helping the Kobold camp, you are able to retreive 50 gold and a mysterious dark cape. Also, if you plan to return to the merchant alone, let me know. If you would like to stay, or do something else, let me know what you would like to do from here and we can proceed!

14. - Top - End - #104

Image takes the cloak, and looks at it, turning it around in her hands and craning and turning her head to go with the illusion. "Well, aren't you pretty...?" Then, she takes the pearl, which she wraps in the cloak, followed by the rest of the beautiful swag.

"Vanessa thanks you for helping her... she must now away, to deal with the gnomes. She will feed them to their moles and their rats and their rabbits and their weasels, for feeding you to their fish." She backs awkwardly away from the gathering of kobolds, before, well, turning and leaving.

After returning to the site of the Battle of Horn Lake and collecting some fish on her grisly crowbar/spike/rope tool, she makes her way back to town, taking every care to doff her illusion when out of sight of the kobolds... In no time at all, she goes from looking like a tall and rough hag who tics and croaks, to looking like a young and well-adjusted and confident half-elven woman who does not have tics -- primarily because she has suffered no severe neurological damage that her magic can not cure for her. Ye gods, was that stage show a joke. At least I got my pearl, and whatever this cloak is. Well, the townspeople seem to be aware of them, that's on them, and not me. I'm not going to go killing kobolds for them on top of running errands for merchants. Mind, if there's good pay in it, that's an entirely different story...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Returning back to Aramoor, you see Adalbert heckling a customer. You can see that he still has the exact same jars of good that he had before... so he hasn't really sold anything. Still, he waves his arms wildly at the potential customer. I said 100 gold! You don't have 100 gold, you aren't good enough for my goods!

The no-longer customer scoffs and walks away, shaking their head furiously. Adalbert lets out a sigh but smiles as he sees you enter the walled city. You look terrible! he says with a laugh. Anyway, I'm sure it wasn't too hard to find. Adalbert pulls out a bucket full of gold and begins to count out 100 pieces. Some people that are walking by slow down, observing the aggressive merchant that has a random bucket full of gold. He notions for you to take your payment and examines you for the Psilch Pearl. 100 gold. Just like I said. 100 gold. Anything else?

16. - Top - End - #106

Image keeps her expression blank as Adelbert heckles people. When she gets her money, counting each coin by the tens as she puts it into her bag, she says, "Are there any armourers or weaponsmiths about town that you know of? I might like to check them out sooner or later."

Once Image has gotten her directions, she returns to the inn and orders a meal before returning to her room and examining her new cloak...

She will also take the time to carefully concoct disguises for herself using this strange, new ability of hers. This strange, convenient ability.

And, of course, she will consider her next course of action.

Show
    Short rest; examining cloak, per page 137 of Dungeon Master's Guide.
    Image will also spend a little while extra, probably no more than a half an hour after her rest and examination, concocting disguises... disguises will be listed in Other Notes on her character sheet. I'll let you know when I've fully concocted them!
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-09 at 11:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adelbert nods at the question of weaponsmiths and armorers and points to some nearby stalls. They have what you're looking for. Fair prices too! Just tell them Adelbert sent you!

Entering Last Call, you enter a tavern that is crammed full of patrons. Willem is at his usual stool sharing a laugh with an also-large man. You see the group of Dwarves again, and they offer you a hearty Oy! as you enter. Behind the bar, Jame is rushing about anxiously like a chicken with no head. She brushes hair from her face, and she stirs various bowls of substances at a rapid pace. She sees you and gives you a half-hearted nod as you walk by towards your room. On an end table in your room, you find a bowl of that strangely good food you had had the previous night with Willem. It isn't hot, but it is warm enough to be good enough.

As you examine the cloak, it seems to be made of a special knit fabric. It has a rough texture to it, but it feels durable, like it can handle a fair amount of damage.
    Spoiler: the cloak
    Show
    The cloak offers you a +1 to your AC. And of course, AC is Armor Class and not Air Conditioning... although Air Conditioning could have some value too.

As you rest up, you are able to get the rest you need and then some. Your room is quiet like usual, giving you the peace you need in this chaotic place. You work through your disguises, but as you finish up, you hear a scream coming from the tavern. The scream is quite loud, loud enough to make its way into your room!

Show
    You are able to do everything that you were planning to do in your room before you hear the scream. You can investigate if you would like, or you can just attempt to sneak out a back door if you would prefer to not deal with it!
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-10 at 12:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Letting out a sigh of disgust, Image comes out of her room and cautiously, quietly steals a glance at what is transpiring...

(1d20+4)[14]

Show
    Donning cloak of protection +1. Stealth to attempt to see what's going on without being too noticed.
    [/QUOTE]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

You sneak your way out of the room, and stealthily sneak your way towards the scream. It was actually not in the tavern portion, but rather in a pantry down the hall. You only know this because the door is wide open, and you can see a pantry full of various food and drink items. Standing just outside the doorway is Jame. She is looking inside the doorway frozen like a statue covered in ice. Looking at her feet, you see the still hand of a corpse. You follow the hand to an arm and the arm to a body. A head is just visible in the dim lighting, and you see Lark lying dead on the floor in the pantry.

You hear plenty of chatter coming from the tavern, but it is silent at the other end of the hallway where Jame stands alone.

20. - Top - End - #110

"Oh, [REDACTED]." Image does not touch Jame, touching people in shock is generally a bad idea. Instead, she speaks to her. "Jame, sweetie, what happened, here?" She can't take her gaze off of Lark.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame stands motionless staring down. She exhales slowly, and her shoulders lower. She responds at a decibel just above silent. I... I... I don't know...

Jame turns and looks at you. Her eyes are dry, but her expression is one of shock, that the gravity of the moment has yet to sink in. She draws a sharp breath, and stares into your eyes. I... I should've been here. I... could've seen... I could've seen what happened...

22. - Top - End - #112

Image puts a calming hand on Jame's shoulder. "It's not your fault. Stay here with me. I'm going to see what happened..."

She kneels down and examines Lark's body -- checks her pulse, looks for extremely obvious signs of what might have killed her. She does not do anything else. If no wounds are present, she will ask Jame if Lark was exhibiting any signs of illness, or even a little headache. If Lark's body is warm, she will attempt to focus positive energy into the body.

(1d20+1)[17]
    (2d6)[5]

Show
    Medicine check to attempt to determine the cause of death.
    Provided that Lark's body is still at least a little warm, Image is expending two uses of Healing Light to see if perhaps Lark can't come back.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame stands motionless as you pass her and examine the body of Lark.

The body is cold, the type of cold that shows the warmth of life is long gone. As you look over the body, it shows little sign of injury. There is almost no blood on the floor, and the pantry looks untouched. There is a small wound located in her upper chest, possibly a stab wound, but little else to suggest that something foul took place here. A jar of some spice blend is broken on the floor by Lark's feet, but nothing else looks out of place.

Evening Glory, may you guide her soul to peace. Jame whispers quietly as you examine the body.

Show
    Unfortunately, Lark is gone gone.

24. - Top - End - #114

Image looks completely confused, and frustrated. "A stab wound...." She rises to her feet, attempting to locate anything of help, but then turns to Jame. "Are you going to be alright? I'd like to alert the guard, then get my weapons and follow the trail, but also I don't want to leave you alone. ...especially with Punnuh."

(1d20+3)[7]
    (1d20+1)[4]

Show
    First Roll: Investigation to gather any sorts of clues.
    Second Roll: Survival to see if there's even anything resembling a trail to follow... on a wooden floor. Did I mention that Image isn't a Ranger?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame nods quickly. You were in your room right? Did you hear anything? Jame asks quietly. She stands over the body of Lark, staring down at it with a face of stone.

As you examine the scene, you find a pantry that has not been touched, save for the broken jar at Lark's feet. All shelves seem fully stocked and nothing seems moved. The colorful array of spices and various other food items smell great and help to mask the smell of death. Besides the wound on Lark's chest, you look over the body, but do not seem to notice much else off about her. Looking around, the hallway offers the pantry, your room, the doorway into the tavern, and a pair of doors that are both closed. You do notice one final door all the way at the end. It is cracked open slightly, and a bit of daylight suggests that the door leads outside.

Show
    Those great Ranger skills are helped by great rolls. haha

26. - Top - End - #116

Image seems to be considering things and wags her finger, as if to herself. "I only heard a scream. I'm honestly surprised no one else heard it..." She looks in the direction of the tavern. "Can you close up early? You're in no condition to see to things, and I can imagine it wouldn't do for a customer to see what's transpired, here." She doesn't mean to, but the thaumaturgist groans. "And, umm... I'll cover your lost wages. And I'll make the call. I'll think of something." Image does her best to keep a calm tone.

(1d20+5)[12]

Show
    Imagegorn the Warlanger.
    Roll was Persuasion, to convince Jame to please let Image help close up.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame stares at you with her mouth open for a few moments before she blinks. If you... if you think that would help. she offers softly. Willem is probably watching over the bar to make sure nothing goes missing...

28. - Top - End - #118

Image puts another, reassuring hand on Jame's shoulder. "Very well." She heads to Punnuh, and whispers to him, "Please, close up early today. Something bad's happened to Jame. I'm going to do what I can to help -- get my weapons, alert the guard, all that. I'll cover the day's costs."

Direct.

(1d20+5)[7]

Show
    This boob needs a Persuasion check. Likely concussive, but let's not short-staff The Last Call anymore than it already is!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Entering the tavern, you find it be crowded as usual. All of the usual characters are there, with the Dwarves naturally at the center of it all. They see you enter the tavern and offer you a hearty Oy! as they all raise mostly-empty glasses. Punnuh is actually not at the tavern, but you do see Willem standing behind the bar. He isn't mixing drinks, but he is hamming it up with another heavy drinker, this one an oversized Elf with a grin that almost stretches as far as his pointed ears. Willem is in the middle of a story about dragons as you enter, and he offers you a wave with a massive hand.

Any smiles fade quickly as you mention the need to close down the tavern. Willem promptly turns and faces the rest of the tavern. Last Call is out of booze! We get a new shipment tomorrow, so come back then! he yells out over the Dwarves and other random voices. The tavern goes quiet for a moment before everyone yells, complains, and stampedes out the door. The oversized Elf is the last one out the door, leaving you alone with Willem. Lack of booze will clear out a tavern faster than a fire. he offers with a chuckle before his face gets serious. You mentioned Jame is in trouble. What's wrong with her? How can I help?

Show
    No Punnuh here, but I figure the dialogue still applies to Willem.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-11 at 01:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Image is relieved that Willem is there, and not Punnuh, and so pliable to her demands. She smiles weakly at his remark about booze and fire. "I mean... Lark. It's Lark. She's dead. There was a small puncture-wound in her chest, but little blood. I managed to calm Jame down. Since they helped me out when I got here, the least I could do is help them find out whoever the hell killed poor Lark. I'm gonna grab my weapons and head out, and talk to the guard."