New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

Willem does a double take as you mention that Lark is dead. Lark is dead? Good gods! Willem shakes his head, his lips curling in disgust. Jame had asked Lark to retrieve some supplies a while ago, but I figured Lark had gone off to the market. I... wow I don't even know what to say.

Willem nods approvingly as you mention that you have calmed down Jame. He also continues his nodding through your explanation of grabbing weapons and taking to guards. I'll stay here to keep an eye on things. I may be semi-retired, but I still know how to swing a sword should any trouble return. Willem utters. Good luck with the guards though. They tend to stay out of... peasant-ly affairs.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

Image sniffs. "Well, that's on them, then. Looks like I'll have to go it on my own. Do me a favour and give the taxman some wooden coins when he comes by, and tell him that the guard can shove them up their arses." She retrieves her equipment and storms out of the tavern, first looking for anyone at all that might be outside of the open door. To Jame, she says, "I'll be back."

She will ask the first person that she sees if they have seen anyone exiting the tavern from the door she just exited out of, if it is within eyeshot.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Retrieving weapons, looking for anyone outside of the tavern to question...
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-11 at 09:28 PM. Reason: wheppin's
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Willem chuckles at your wooden coin comment then watches you disappear out the back of the tavern. Jame does the same, still standing quietly over the body of Lark.

As you escape out the back door, you find yourself in a narrow alleyway with a stone building uncomfortably close to you. If you stretch your arms out, you can touch the door to that building. The door is closed and locked. To your left, the alley is closed off, giving you only an exit to your right.

As you look down the alleyway, you notice a kid sitting on the ground at the alleyway opening, tossing rocks. Getting closer, you see he is tossing rocks at random people that walk by, just barely missing them with each toss. He scowls at you as you exit the alleyway and tosses a rock at a nearby lady. He has shaggy red hair and looks to be no older than 13. He scoffs at your question about people coming out the alleyway.

What's it to you lady? he asks with a sassy tone. I don't babysit that alley!

4. - Top - End - #124

Ugh. Children. She might as well be talking to a kobold. She grabs his hand when he goes to pick up a rock. "Tell me. NOW." Her tone is grave, expression serious. Her normally pleasant and melodic voice is almost shrill. "Or I'll run you out by your hand and tell everyone that you're responsible for the rocks, and you'll probably spend the rest of your natural-born life rotting in a cell. Do I make myself perfectly clear, child?"

(1d20+5)[10]

Show
    No, Image is going to use intimidation on this little scrapper.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

His eyes go wide as you grab his hand, and he begins to cry. Loudly. I... want... my... mommy!!!

Various people walk past, watching as you grab the boy's hand aggressively, but no one stops. Everyone simply continues on their way, not stopping for even a moment at the pained boy. In fact, you even think you hear someone mutter, Serves Nelson right!

The boy, presumably Nelson, looks over to the people walking by, and after a few moments, the tears disappear and he looks at you with the same scowl. I ain't scared of no old lady! he says, trying to jerk his hand from your grasp. He fails.

As Nelson stares daggers at you, a woman approaches. She had been sitting on a bench beside Nelson, watching you emerge and question the red-headed boy. She offers you a smile before sneering at Nelson.

That brat didn't see anything. In fact, he just sat down not long ago. The woman offers. I did see a few people walk out of the alley though. I'm not sure why you're looking for them, but I see no harm in telling you... especially if you're this desperate! There was an oversized Elf, a man with a blue moon tattoo on his forehead, and another man that had a face tattoo. I couldn't tell what that one was, but... it looked like a mistake. the woman gives you some information then looks you over. Are you hunting for someone?
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-11 at 11:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

If a tiny clerk scares you, you'll not survive on the streets for long!

Image snorts derisively at the brat. She listens carefully to the woman, however, and stifles a gasp when she hears about the blue tattoo that looks like a mistake. She describes Punnuh, sincerely hoping that he was not the person being talked about. Sin. Cerely. Hopes. She then says, "You could say that... tell me, did any of these people seem agitated, or have a weapon in their hands...? I'm looking for a possible murderer."

She produces a Gold coin. "For your cooperation. And silence."

Show
    Kid just got intimidated by Zooey Deschanel with Spock ears. NERD!
    [/QUOTE]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah? Well I think she did it! Nelson blurts out, nodding towards the lady. He tries again to wiggle free from your grasp but fails again. He finally gives up, and stares off into the crowds that refuse to rescue him.

The lady rolls her eyes at Nelson's random accusation and nods confidently as you give her the gold piece for her discretion. The confidence wanes as the possibly of murder is mentioned and is replaced by a look of concern.

Murder? Oh gods. I'm afraid all three men came out of that alley looking upset, but none carried a weapon. At least, not that I could see. she offers with a disappointed shrug. That guy with the stupid face tattoo does fit your description though. It was a different tattoo than the blue moon forehead tattoo the other guy had, but he definitely fits your description.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    While Punnuh does have a ridiculous face tattoo, it is not a crescent blue moon like you have seen a few times. The woman does feel confident that the man she saw fits the description of Punnuh though!

Also, what a great reference to Zooey Deschanel! You get some super awesome XP just for that.

8. - Top - End - #128

Image ignores the boy.

"Saw the elf earlier... I think he was a customer. The tattooed people, I'm interested in. Did you see the direction they went in?"

Show
    Hooray! Yeah, when I put together the portrait using a, uhh, 3D program, I went, "Wow, it's like someone took Aubrey Plaza and Zooey Deschanel and gave her Spock ears. Well, whatever. Funny thing is, I used a face generated entirely by an Artificial Intelligence, grafted it onto the 3D program, and did some more work.
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-12 at 01:42 AM. Reason: quote tags

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman nods. Well they came out at separate times. The weird tattoo guy... well... the one you seem most concerned about... he went towards the market. The man with the blue face tattoo went towards the guard house.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    That is impressive! Usually I just Google search a character and copy one of those images...

10. - Top - End - #130

Image nods.

Now we're getting somewhere...

"Might I ask who left first?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman nods and informs you that the man with the Blue Moon tattoo left before Punnuh.

12. - Top - End - #132

Image sets her jaw for a moment, then nods. "Thank you."

Probably the Blue Moons... wonder if I can do some damage in disguise?

"Remember, we never met."
    Another Gold coin crosses the woman's palm. Image returns to the Last Call, and reports her findings -- Punnuh being among the people leaving, and the Blue Moon. She declares that she will see to things, but needs some time to think and formulate a plan. But first, she asks Jame and Willem if they know anything about the Blue Moons.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Willem and Jame both sit with you in the otherwise empty tavern. Lark's lifeless body still rests in the pantry behind the bar, a haunting reminder of what has taken place. Willem continues to look over to the door, hand on blade, waiting for anyone to dare enter the tavern. As you mention the possibility of Punnuh's involvement, Jame gasps. That can't be true! Punnuh is a bit of a... character, but he's our brother! He could never do anything like that!

Willem looks to Jame, but maintains a steady expression. Unfortunately, we cannot rule anything out at this time. I'm sure Punnuh didn't do this, but he may have some answers. Jame nods at Willem's words. Willem then looks at you as you mention the Blue Moons. Those wretched demons are the blight of society. I've tussled with more than a few of those crooks! They hide in caves like cowards and only come out to kidnap the vulnerable, selling them to the highest bidder. Willem says as his face turns in disgust. I know there's that lousy Blue Moon recruiter that hangs out by the guard station. I can fold that spat into a pretzel to figure out what he knows.

14. - Top - End - #134

Image gives Jame a sympathetic look.

With regards to the Blue Moons, she says, "I've seen who must be the recruiter, talking to guards..."Image frowns. "I've had run-ins with them, myself." She does not, however, tell them the nature of these run-ins... "I'd much prefer to do things my way. I've powers of thaumaturgy." She conjures up a two human-like silhouettes in her hand. After a moment, the silhouette closest to her reaches into the other's head, moves what passes for hands around in it, and then removes them. The silhouette whose head has been "tampered with" uncrosses its arms and nods and shakes the other one's hand.

"I'm not terribly fond of tampering with minds, but if it helps innocent people out or saves lives, I'm willing to."

Show
    Casting minor illusion, just to show off.
    Image calls herself a "thaumaturgist", primarily because what tutelage in magic she had, had to do with thaumaturgy, or "miracle-working".

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jame and Willem both exchange glances at your... magical prowess. Willem looks at the glass of liquor in his hands and shakes his head slowly. I did not think this ale was that strong...

Jame takes a sip of the alcohol in her glass and pours a glass of a caramel-colored beverage for you, not bothering to ask if you wanted it or not. Well whatever you need to do to get some damned answers, thaumaturgy or otherwise, Evening Glory be with you as you handle this... spat. she says in a cold monotone.

Willem nods in agreement. Yes answers are critical, but your safety is also critical Jame. We have no clue as to why someone would kill Lark, and no idea if they will return. Willem says to Jame before looking to you. I am happy to stay here and watch over Jame, but if you require any assistance of any kind, know that we both are ready.

16. - Top - End - #136

Image assesses the drink, pretending to savour the smell. She gives it the smallest of sips. To both Jame and Willem, she says, "Thank you."

Show
    Unless you're house ruling that warlocks don't regain spell slots spent after a short rest... Image is ready to go!
    [/QUOTE]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heading out into the courtyard, you see the city of Aramoor is still well alive outside the tavern. The smell of fresh baked goods hits your nostrils, and there's an extra dose of freshness in the air. People crowd the markets to your right, and the volume of the many merchants forcing customers to buy their product is louder than usual. Even with the rise in volume though, you still can hear Adelbert yelling 100 gold!

Meanwhile, the guard house is rather empty to your left. You see that Blue Moon recruiter standing outside the guard house, offering a smirk to townies that wander past. A few guards walk past the recruiter, offering a nod before they head into their refuge.

Show
    No weird rules here! You are good on spells and such!

18. - Top - End - #138

"You're going to have to sit this one out until I clean you..." Image removes the harness for her sickle, and leans it on her chair. "That's a story for another time."

"How rude of me, not even dressing for the occasion..." Image puts one of her magical disguises on herself before exiting The Last Call. This one is of a tall, younger human woman with a long auburn braid, steely grey eyes, and tanned skin. Her armour is changed to a less fantastical design and made into a brownish colour, hammer disguised as a club, and daggers sheathed at her thighs rather than her boots. She counts down, her accent and voice changing at the second syllable to a twang and a "whiskey voice". "One... two..."

Image staggers and leaps out of the tavern, as if drunk and being shoved. "Ay, piss off, you! I'll go and find somewheres else for to sleep off the hangovers what your rat's piss of an ale gives me!" Then, as inconspicuously as demi-humanly possible, she attempts to get into a place where she can work her magic on the recruiter with enough discretion. She attempts to override his mind, much like she did his fellow not too long ago.

This complete, she saunters up to him and gives him a friendly nod. "Hey, fella."

(1d20+4)[24]
    (1d20+5)[16]

Show
    Disguise self to disguise herself as a roguish human woman. Stealth, to attempt to cast the spell on the fly. Charm person on the recruiter. Deception to attempt to make the casting look, well, inconspicuous!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Approaching the Blue Moon recruiter, he offers you a smirk. He folds his arms across his chest, and leans back against the wall behind him and looks you up and down in a not-so-discreet manner.

Hey. he offers in a velvety voice.

20. - Top - End - #140

"Haven't been back in town since I was a little girl, and that's the greetin's I gets..." Image slurs to the man. "Whatsa deal with them types in that Last Call tavern, anyway? Buncha jackasses in there. Betcha you an' I could run a more better tavern. 'An less worse!"

Show
    The power in my building went dookie until only a few hours ago!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man smirks at your comments. He nods in a calm manner, and passes a glance at the Last Call behind you. Yeah, they're a bunch of spats in there. he offers in his velvety tones. His jaw is tense as he speaks, his mouth barely opening with each word that comes out of his mouth. What brought you back to Aramoor? Get bored out there? Because I can tell you that Aramoor is the same spathole you left.

A guard walks past the two of you as he exits the guard house. He offers you both a nod then disappears into the crowd of people filing through the overstuffed courtyard.

Show
    Eeesh! Dookie power sounds like a bad time! Glad all is well though!
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-14 at 02:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

"Jes' heared from a little bird that this place's getting better. Some'n about new types in town." Image slurs. "I goes by 'Artistry', by the by. Used to be a locksmith's apprentice, 'fore I found better work guarding people, places, and things what needa be locked up in the first place." Something about the tone that Image is affecting suggests that she couldn't care less about what was being guarded and that it was all a matter of money.

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-17 at 01:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man looks you over as you speak. He nods, seemingly disinterested in your words, staring blankly in your general direction with beady silver eyes. He shifts his weight, and offers you a smirk. The smirk turns to a light chuckle as you finish speaking. Artistry the Locksmith, eh? The man shifts his weight. Cute name. Tell ya what, you want to use those locksmith skills again, I may just have some business fur ya.

Show
    I thought you succumbed to the dookie power. Glad to see you returned!
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-17 at 02:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

"Sure thing, just gots some business to take care of in town, a couple childhood chums I wants to see. Catching up to do." Image slurs, making a lewd gesture. "Why don't we meet at the Last Call tomorrow morning? Just you and Artistry, and your and Artistry's business. I'm buying. Place might be a [REDACTED]hole, but the stew and drink's good enough, and stays down. And, it ain't too far from yer job!"

True to her drunken façade, Image staggers into the crowd once the man has spoken.

(1d20+4)[9]

Show
    Stealth check to blend into the crowd.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man looks over you and his brow scrunches. Ya want to meet at the bar ya just got tossed from? Let's meet at the Salty Spitoon instead. Other side of Aramoor. They ain't so quick to toss ya out there. The man offers with a knowing nod.

As you step away into the crowd, you don't disappear into the crowd quite as well as you had wanted to, and his eyes follow you into the crowd.

Show
    Because the man is more interested in going to a different tavern, and it may adjust your post, feel free to retcon in your next post, and I can retcon my post as needed!

26. - Top - End - #146

Image titters, and then shouts over her shoulder. "Tch, and eat stew that's rubbish? Go find someone else to kill rats in a cellar. I gots me some work to do on my back!"

That guy's creepy. I need to keep a close eye on him...

Image spends the next several minutes "perusing merchandise", until she reaches the nearest "left" on a main street within the city. Without being too obvious, she makes a note of her surroundings, including buildings and landmarks... as well as idiots with blue tattoos of any sort.

(1d20-1)[0]

Show
    "Drunken" staggering about.
    Perception to notice any people "out of the ordinary".

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man with the blue moon tattoo shrugs as you wander off into the busy crowd. It does not take long before you find yourself in the middle of chaos. People brush past you in every direction, heading somewhere that is not where they once were. No one seems to acknowledge the vagrant-looking girl that looks not unlike a teacher named Jess or a girl that works as a Christmas elf at a department store. With the flood of people, it is hard for anyone stand out. You do hear a voice above the rest however.

100 gold or you walk!

There is a rustling among the bustling, but that distinct phrase is repeated over and over. 100 gold! 100 gold! 100 gold!

The constant chatter echoes through the courtyard before you notice someone with a face tattoo turn away from you and rush through the front gate. The figure is slender and frail, but the individual is gone from sight before anything more can be seen. A small crowd of people block your line of sight, making any rushing towards the gate nearly impossible.

28. - Top - End - #148

Cities could be so intimidating to adventurers! Not to Image, however. She wasn't some smelly druid or ranger, she was a city girl! This was just sort of annoying, all things considered. The half-elf-in-drunken-human-guise decides to casually saunter through the crowd. And then, to the gate. Once, hopefully, she gets out of the city gates before the next epoch, she attempts to follow his trail while acting very casually as if she is going for a leisurely stroll away from the smell and hustle and bustle.

(1d20+1)[6]

Show
    Har! Riotous post, there! I figured Image still had her disguise on, though. If anything, she'd look like, ehh... Linda Hamilton, just a few inches taller, less grim if you've seen The Terminator movies, and with a really lazy red braid.
    Also, I'm still regular, just had a busy day at work. What started as checking light fixtures for bad ballasts turned into "damn it, which one was it again...?".

Survival, to at least try to see in what direction the Bloke with the Blue Tattoo went in.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you pass through the front gate of the city, you promptly scan your surroundings. There is little evidence that someone passed through here, as the space has a calming peace about it. One of the guards utters quietly to the other. Lotta people headed into Aramoor today. Makes you wonder if there's something going on they forgot to tell us about...

You think our employer would forget to tell us about an important event and leave us understaffed? Please Ivar! Don't be so foolish! the other guard scolds.

You make a scan of the horizon, and with one last glance, you notice a horse disappearing into the treeline far down a path. From your distance, it is a bit difficult to tell much about the appearance of the rider, but it looks like it could be the person of interest that led you outside the walls of Aramoor. The horse looked to be headed down the same path that you took to Horn Lake and the Kobold camp, but is that destination? Without asking the horse, it would be impossible to know.

Show
    Linda Hamilton is a great disguise! So Zooey Deschanel in a Linda Hamilton disguise. Got it! You are indeed still in disguise, so continue on as the vagrant drunkard-looking Linda Hamilton!

And no worries! I am back at the grind myself, so all is well!

30. - Top - End - #150

Image does her best to locate a stable or anything of the sort from which this horse might have originated. Chasing horses on foot was a bad idea, unless one was a hero of legend!

If there is no stable present, however, she will follow the rider as best she is able, only picking up speed to a jogging pace when she is confident that she is out of the sight of the guards.

Show
    Looking within eyesight for a stable; if none present, following rider.
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-21 at 01:11 AM.