New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

You look, but you do not see a stable. You do, however, notice a wood railing where a few horses have been tied up. Judging by the many droppings around the horses, it seems that this is quite the popular tie-up spot for riders to leave their horse when the enter Aramoor. The horses are all unattended, and they all seem rather interested in the large piles of hay waiting to be munched in the trough before them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I am not familiar with the technical term for these wooden railings, but it is something like you would see in a wild west film outside of a saloon.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-21 at 01:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Ice (5e Solo Campaign)

"Heeey, sweetie..." Image comes up to the nearest horse, making sure to be visible to it. "What say you and I find you some better food? I hear that other horse knows a great spot for a meal." She scratches behind its ears, as if that would convince it to let her ride it if her babbling at it in some incomprehensible way wouldn't do the trick.

(1d20-1)[6]

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Animal Handling, to try to convince the horse to let Image ride it.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you approach the horse, it remains fixated on the hay, offering you little more than a curious side-eye. You babble and scratch the horse, but it remains far more interested in the delicious hay before it, enjoying the not-so-delicious meal by the mouthful. In a gesture of indifference, the horse remains motionless, its bareback ready for a rider.

4. - Top - End - #154

"How do I do this, again..." Image starts for the horse, but pauses. They'll want to know that the horse will be back... Before mounting the noble beast, she takes her dagger out and scratches "BE RIGHT BACK" on the railing. Next, twenty-five gold coins are set on the ground. "Down-payment." She then attempts to mount the horse and take off after the mysterious person.

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-01-21 at 02:20 AM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

You take off!

Leaving the gold, the carved post, and the complaining guards behind, you disappear into the treeline after the mysterious rider. With your eyes focused ahead, you only see trees ahead as the dense forest dominates the space around you. After riding for a few moments, you begin to smell that familiar smell of dead fish, dirty lake water, and the mysterious meats being cooked on a Kobold grill. The dense forest becomes less dense, and you break free into the open once again.

To your left, you see the Kobold camp at Horn Lake, still functioning at its normal pace. A few Kobolds now ride out in canoes, rowing about comfortably and chatting away on the water. To your right, a rocky hill forms. You do notice a few small cave mouths dotting the rocky face, but see no movement beyond a furry critter skittering about. The path you are on does continue ahead past the lake and the rocky face into a wide open wilderness ahead, where a few mountains await.

6. - Top - End - #156

"Damn!" Image hisses. Going into those caves would be a bad idea, right now. She takes a mental note of where she went, but returns to the "stable" -- or at least as close to the stable as she can. Dismounting from the horse she stole, she gives it a few appreciative scratches behind the ear and smacks it on the backside in the hopes that it will proceed, well, to the stable.

She opts to enter town through any other gate than the one that she used. Her disguise is also dropped before exiting the trees, and when arriving back in town she takes more notes on where she has arrived.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Returning the the "stable", you find your gold has been taken but nothing else looks different. Your... "borrowed" steed returns to its hay-munching ways, almost like the quick jaunt up the road never happened. Funny thing about horses. A mouth full of hay can make for a short memory.

Looking for a new way into Aramoor, you find you don't have to travel far to find it. As you walk along the stone walls, you turn a corner and find another entrance similar to your normal entrance into the walled city. A pair of guards stand watch here as well, staring off into the lightly wooded plains that stretch out from the city. The smell of baked goods hangs in the air, possibly cakes made of juniper berries, maybe a cream pie! It is definitely a much more welcoming smell than the stench of the "stable". A few people walk in and out of the gate, each seemingly having their own story to tell. None seem to be interested in the half-elf that has just ventured from another part of the city though. As you enter the gate, the guards give you a quick nod, but seem otherwise frozen in place.

As you enter into a new part of Aramoor, you find yourself on the other side of the busy and hectic marketplace, complete with its long row of merchants to your right. Even from here, the words 100 gold! can still be heard. The courtyard is a bit smaller than what you're used to at this point, but there are also less people to contend with. You actually possess the ability to stretch your arms, possibly even dance! A few children run past you, disappearing into the market row. A man in bright clothes juggles a variety of fruit with a growing crowd cheering him on.

To your left, you see what seems to be a cellar door. It leads down into the earth, but a sign hangs overhead. The Salty Spittoon it reads. A man with a peg leg leans against the stone wall beside it, talking to a Minotaur with an expression of annoyance. Next to the cellar door, a brightly colored shop stands out from the otherwise drab gray surrounding. It has splotches of paints from pastel colors that seem to fade a bit in the daylight. The name of the place Prancing Pony Baked Goods is painted beside the doorway in a faded pink paint. The smell of fresh cakes is strong, and the entire courtyard smells of lemongrass and thyme. A Gnome enters the bakery as you continue your observations around the courtyard.

Straight ahead, you see the road that leads you deeper into the city. The road is lined with homes and other various shops and schools, each with a unique sign created with the intention of pulling you in purely out of intrigue. At the far end of this road, a temple stands. Even from the great distance at which you stand, you can see robed men carrying barrels into the temple.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Welcome back!

8. - Top - End - #158

That smells amazing, I'll have to check it out sometime. Just wish that Adelbert would shut up long enough to... hmm. Hey! Image internally snaps a finger, following Adelbert's voice. She had an idea of who might have committed the foul deed against Lark, but she was confident that Adelbert had seen something more.

Once she finds him, and if there are no suspicious characters about, she says, "Adelbert, a favour to ask of you..." She describes Punnuh, and if the person with the strange tattoo that she tailed is different enough in apperance from him, them, asking if he's seen either one of them.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Market Row gets more and more crowded as you weave your way through the curious shoppers and average townsperson. You follow the boisterous voice of Adelbert, finally seeing the familiar merchant in a spat with a would-be customer. Adelbert waves his arms frantically as a bushy brow bounces over his eyes.

I don't care if you're my mother! 100 gold! he loudly yells.

The customer scoffs and wanders off, disappearing into the crowd in moments. Adelbert looks around, and smiles as his eyes set on you. He offers you a toothy grin and a wave, motioning to a new jar of some liquidy yellow substance. The rest of the jars seem to be familiar, even possibly the exact same jars from before, but this yellow liquid substance is new.

Psilch Pearl! he declares to you, beaming. 100 gold. Easy!

As you ask about Punnuh and the stranger with the face tattoo, Adelbert nods. He looks around then leans in and speaks a bit softer than his usual boisterous declarations. It is actually now at a normal speaking volume, but based on his mannerisms, he believes he is being quiet. Scrawny punk with the stupid tattoo is not the same man you describe, Adelbert offers. Believe me. I know that SPAT and his stupid tattoo quite well. The man you speak of... I never see him before. he offers with a shrug. He look at my goods, but he no want to pay 100 gold. Not my problem.

A customer approaches the table and picks up a jar of leaves. Adelbert holds a hand out in front of the would-be customer, motioning for them to set the jar down. I already know you will not be paying 100 gold. he says. The customer walks off. Adelbert looks back at you and looks around. The stranger I actually did not see much of. He shopped a few stalls, but he wasn't here for long. Poo-nuh... who cares. I saw him heading into the Salty Spitoon, but that was a while ago. I don't care where that little spat is now.

10. - Top - End - #160

"Thank you, Adelbert. Did you see the stalls that he went to, in particular?" Image decides where the wise would not, to continue to ask him for information.

"Image" - Half-Elven Warlock of the Celestial
    Show
    I'm picturing this guy as sounding like Jimmy Richard, that dude who'd yell at people all the time from King of the Hill.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Adelbert nods and looks over the various stalls down Market Row. The market is, as expected at this point, quite busy with customers seemingly bouncing from stall to stall. Many hold handfuls of supplies, yet still remain determined to purchase more goods. The buzz of eager merchants and desperate shoppers brings a hum of life to the long row of otherwise lifeless stalls. I see everything. he utters with a grin and a wink. He stares down the row and eventually points down the row of stalls, not really to any stall in particular. Stranger went to Breya and her spell stuff, Yazz and her spell stuff, and Weezy and his spell stuffs. Adelbert looks at you before motioning to his table of merchandise.

You know, you look like you could use a special jar of Psilch Pearl nectar. I got a jar of fresh stuff right here. Only 100 gold.

Show
    HA! That is awesome! What a great show.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-27 at 12:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Image purses her lips and just walks away. Rather than make herself look even more suspicious by asking about, she steps back into The Last Call to speak with Jame and Willem and make her report of everything that she's seen and observed.

Highlights from this report consist of her interactions with the strange recruiter; her pursuit of the tattooed person and her decision to not pursue them into the caves; her discovery that this tattooed person went to find spell components of a sort.

Show
    Just say no to pearls.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

You return to the Last Call and find Jame and Willem sitting around a table of an otherwise empty bar, chatting quietly. Both look to you with a smile.

Ah, you've returned! Willem says, motioning you to take a seat beside them. He pours a glass of caramel-colored liquid and sets it in front of an empty chair.

Both Jame and Willem nod as you explain your adventure thus far, offering the occasional Hmm to show they are still listening. Finally, Jame speaks.

You are pursuing people with a face tattoo? Why is that? Do you think the Blue Moons may have murdered my sister?

Willem scoffs and twists his face in disgust. Those spats are always nothing but trouble. I'm curious about that guy that may have disappeared in the caves by Horn Lake though. It's odd that he was only shopping at magic shops. That... does not seem like something a Blue Moon would do.

14. - Top - End - #164

Image pauses for a beat, and then speaks. "I've no reason to trust those Blue Moons. If you've an ear to bend, I've a tale to tell. It started out, oh, a few months ago, when word reached my ear about treasure beneath the Golden Mountains. It took me a little while, but I managed to wrap up enough loose ends in my life that I was able to make my way there. While gathering information like any smart adventurer would, I was drugged and bound by someone in league with them and chucked onto a wagon to work some sort of a mine. I managed to attract the attention of the drivers, both Blue Moons. I also managed to convince them to bring me here."

"I've every intention of looking for that treasure once again, but that will have to wait. At first, I just wanted to supply up and find a well-equipped hand or two to help me out, here. But, you gave me nice and clean accommodations, and for that I'm going to help you. I'm not saying that the Blue Moons did it, but they're creepy, and I wouldn't put it past them." The normally blasé-sounding Image sounds very intense, now... she tells them what she knows of the Blue Moons.

Then, to Willem, she says, "I'm going to talk to those merchants soon." She pauses, a devious look crosses her face, and she wags her finger as if she's thought of something. "I've got just the disguise in mind for it, too!"

Show
    Yeah, she's still gonna go delving, but right now she's grinding experience on the side quests.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah yes... the mythical treasures hidden deep within the Golden Mountains. I know of it, Willem responds to your story. Some insist the legendary treasure is real. Others believe it to be a ruse started by the Blue Moons themselves. It's quite the interesting legend.

Jame looks at Willem then at you. I believe I've heard some talk of the treasure here. At least, some insist they are headed to the Golden Mountains now to find it. Jame takes a sip from her glass then brushes a strand of hair from her face. Thank Evening Glory that you were able to convince the Blue Moons to bring you here though. You must have quite the gift of persuasion! Hopefully you can persuade someone to tell you what happened to Lark... her voice trails off as does her gaze.

Aye, well I think it's a good idea to talk to those merchants. Even if this stranger of yours is not related to this murder, those merchants at Merchant Row see everything, Willem says. He chuckles as you mention having the perfect disguise. With your disguises and persuasion skills, I can only imagine the sort of work you did before coming here! Perhaps an actress of sorts?

Show
    Grind away my friend. Grind away!
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-01-29 at 12:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by PolloMark View Post
    Show
    Grind away my friend. Grind away!
    Show
    Alright. Yeah, I'm not, like, abandoning a dungeon you've likely agonised over putting together... I've just been conditioned by video games as early as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, to farm Heart Containers a little bit before doing anything too "cute". Except "Image" is far chattier than Link, but I feel like while they wouldn't get along they wouldn't confront one another either... I still feel like Link would win, in any timeline, and any story of his.
    Post coming later today, playing with cooling tower components and looking for rat faeces at work.

17. - Top - End - #167

"Actress? No, I used to be a clerk," Image says to Willem. "But, just as no two stories are exactly alike, no two clerks are exactly alike either. I mean, few adventure as I do, and even fewer in this world, I can image, are capable of wielding magic as I do."

"I just feel that illusions and other 'tricks', when used wisely and right, are more powerful than force and violence. I just hope that those who taught me agree with me..." She once again disguises herself, this time as... well, what "Antsy" Vanessa Rubblebody might look like if she were a younger and normal-looking human. Six feet and two inches of tanned skin, blonde hair, and flashy grey robes that don't have humanoid effects woven through them. Her eyes turn hazel, and a foolish tattoo appears on her face, a teal, forward-facing eye on her forehead. "These merchants would be fools not to deal with Visionist and Evoker Vanessa Rumboldt!"

In her plain-and-tall disguise, Image leaves The Last Call, heading to the first of the merchants that Adelbert mentioned. She pretends to be very interested in their wares, whatever they are.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Willem leans forward in his seat as he grasps onto every word you say. He offers a few "Hms" and "Ahs" as he listens, nodding intently.

Well, if you ever have the time, I'd love to hear more, he offers. Jame nods along in agreement.

Stepping out into the busy courtyard, you push your way through the crowd and into the markets. You step past multiple overeager merchants and stop before the first of three magic merchants, a Goliath woman. The woman is large, obtusely large, and towers over you even in your tall disguise. She holds the shape of a large cylinder, her broad shoulders stretching almost as wide as her table. Her silver hair is pulled back tight, and her forehead seems to have grown over time as her hairline seems to have pulled back with this hairstyle. She folds her thick arms across her chest, staring down at you disapprovingly with beady silver eyes. On her table, you see all sorts of dusts and powders, some in pouches others in jars. The table is missing any sort of decorative elements, making the plain wooden table stand out from its neighbors.

Need something? Ya blockin' my table.

19. - Top - End - #169

[PLACEHOLDER]

Show
    [PLACEHOLDER]

20. - Top - End - #170

Image thinks, as always, on her feet. "Oh, well, I'm looking for charcoal, catnip, and ahh... I think it was savory. My apprentice's just finished her tutelage, and I'm going to instruct her in calling a familiar as a sort of way of marking the occasion..." She then pauses, licks her lips, and waggles her finger as if trying to remember something. "I might actually have seen one of her little friends a little while ago... had a strange tattoo on his face, seemed in a hurry. Wish I could have gotten a hold of him, I'm always interested in meeting her friends..."

Show
    The 1st Edition components for a find familiar spell! Brazier not included.

Sorry for the delays, work caught up to me for a few seconds, there... First, my jobsite was going to be re-opened to select members of the public, and then they decided to belay until September, thankfully.

21. - Top - End - #171

Show
    *dramatic shake* Game Master! Game Master! Ya still with me?! 🙀😿 Seriously, Image's got some of those healing bootstrap thimgumy with her.
    [/QUOTE]

22. - Top - End - #172

Show
    Are we still doing this, Game Master?

Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2021-05-06 at 06:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Play that out-of-tune horn! I have returned unceremoniously!

The Goliath woman looks you up and down as you speak, her sleepy face not even twitching at your explanation. Looking at her, you may have even caught her roll her silver eyes at some point. Still she listens, her tree-trunk arms folded across her chest. Yeah, I got ya charcoal and catnip. I ain't no chef though, so ya need to go somewhere else for da savory goods, she offers as she grabs a box from below her stand and tosses it onto the bland stand. Some of the nearby noisy crowd pause as the box hits the table with a resounding thud. She pulls out some charcoal and catnip with a thick hand and places the items firmly onto the stand. 25 Silver pieces. No discounts. she states gruffly.

Ya sweet on da tattooed boy? He looked frail and small, more a boy than a man. the Goliath woman offers with a slight smirk, her arms flexing as she speaks. Tattoo boy came by not long ago looking for da magic stuffs. Seemed up to no good. I sent him away.

24. - Top - End - #174

Image does not throw up in her mouth. Instead, she laughs and says, "Perish the thought! My apprentice is the one sweet on him, I've a..." She begins to fish through her coinpurse for those twenty-five silver coins. Yes, twenty-five silver coins exactly, no more, no less. "Spouse back home. And, personally, I can't stand younger men. But, well, I would like to surprise her on her graduation day with his presence because they seem to be so fond of each other... so if you could tell me where he was sent off to, she'd appreciate it, and I'd appreciate it on her behalf."

Oh, would you look at that, there are twelve more silver coins on the table... and five coppers! These are separate from the rest of the coins, and Image's hands are a little close to them.

(1d20+5)[17]

Show
    We're back! Just like We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story.

Deception, to B.S. this gal into thinking that Image is really telling the truth about this guy. If the woman is not forthcoming with information, Image will grab her coins back.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Goliath looks down at you with narrowed eyes, scoffing at your explanation. Riiiiiight.

A customer wanders towards the stall and begins to look over the bland stand. Breya stares at the customer silently, her eyes following their every move. The customer notices the gaze and quickly steps back, slinking back into the crowd. Breya rolls her eyes and shakes her head. She takes the exactly twenty-five coins from you, and counts them. She looks to you. Exact change. Nice.

Da frail boy bounced to some other stalls but rushed out of da city walls. Blue Moon spat that hangs out by guards left with him. Ya know, ya... I mean ya girl should find real man to be sweet on. Not a frail boy with face tattoo, especially one that hangs with da Blue Moons. Breya says as she flexes an arm and slaps it with her other hand. Anyways, merchants tell me there's a camp East of here. That could be where your frail boy went.

Breya notices the random coins scattered on her stand. Looks like ya dropped some coin, she says as she points to the coins.

Show
    What an AMAZING reference! Wow! I loved that movie!

I was thinking back like Backstreet, but that was way better of a reference.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-05-14 at 12:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Image only shrugs. "Oh! So I did... Well, such is the foolishness of youth, falling in with frail fools..." She takes her purchase, and her "extra" coins. "I was in love with a lantern maker for the longest time, and then a button-maker and ostler, and finally a soothsayer. But enough of my stories! Farewell, and good business to ye!"

Her bizarre performance out of the way, Image makes her way out of sight. Very, very out of sight. And then removes her illusion over herself. Once this is done, she makes her way to the east, doing her best to stay out of sight while locating the camp.

(1d20+4)[9]

Show
    Oh, year!

Stealth, to remain out of sight if need be.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Goliath watches you slip into the crowd as you wander your way far far far far away.

You attempt to sneak your way East, and in your attempt at stealthiness, you find yourself cracking a few branches with most steps. Thankfully, not many people are wandering around outside the city walls. The ones that are do not seem to care for the young woman sneaking around the open area.

Continuing East, you begin to catch sight of what looks to be a campsite. Your first clue is the thin pillar of black smoke coming off the campfire, but more comes into view as you edge closer. You see a pair of men with blue tattoos laughing and tossing a potato back and forth. Neither is trying too hard to be hidden, as you can hear them joking about crazy merchants and complaining about their boss. Behind them, the mouth of a cave stands open, ready to swallow the next person that ventures in. A bird flutters by, chirping through the air, but the area is otherwise quiet.

28. - Top - End - #178

Image studies the men for a moment, before she hatches up a plan. A lone frontal assault would be foolish. I don't have the means or time to gather any more intel than I already have... time to be pragmatic.

But, she does not try anything too brave... no, instead she circles around to where the kobolds are -- however long that will take her, and once again assumes the guise of "Vanessa" the hag. Once there, she calls out, wailing pitifully. "'Tis worse than Vanessa thought, friend kobolds! 'Tis worse than she thought! The gnomes are in league with... with villains! Villains with blue moons! THEY called the Horn Lake Beast!" She balls gnarly fists, and shakes them. "Follow Vanessa. Avenge your dead! Avenge your dead."

Show
    Fun with disguise self.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

It does not take long for you to make your way around to the Kobold camp. The sun still shines high in the sky as you make your way towards the all-to-familiar reptilian allies. Their encampment is a bit quiet though, and you can see a majority of the Kobolds are crowding around Kobash. The throne of Kobash still sits solemnly behind the grouping of Kobolds, its seat void of Kobolds. As you approach, Kobash notices you, and his eyes smile. He shares a toothy grin, and the other Kobolds turn and watch you. They begin to raise scaled arms into the air.

Hag! Hag! Hag! Hag!

Kobash breaks through the crowd and approaches you to welcome you back with open arms. He listens to your wail, and his eyes widen. Kobash and Kobold happy to help Hag. Kobash and Kobold always happy to help Hag.
    Last edited by PolloMark; 2021-05-18 at 01:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Image sighs inwardly, relieved. "This is good to hear... arm yourselves, and march with me. March around the humans. The humans do not concern us. The humans are not concerning. We march on the men with the Blue Moons. I will use my magic to harry and harangue and harass them! Yes, I will! The Blue Moons will wax and wane beneath us! They will deal with no more gnomes, and they will harm no more humans and they will harm no more kobolds and they will summon no more great beasts!"

(1d20+5)[14]

Should the kobolds comply with no further questions, Image will direct them very far around town and out of sight, quietly, before directing them to close on the Blue Moon encampment.

Show
    Persuasion, to convince the kobolds to behave themselves.
    Directing the kobolds in a very long way around to the Blue Moon encampment, following their preparations.