Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 177
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    This is the new IC thread for the western path quest group.

    OOC thread at
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...6#post24856356

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    The group is made up of
    Yaj'dak, the tortle barbarian
    Zain, the sorcerer-cleric
    Lucia, the diviner
    Rikkan, the paladin
    Coatell, the nerdy bookmerchant
    Justius, the young bloodhunter

    ........

    It was a cloudy morning. There was even a bit of rain.

    The tension had been high throughout the week. Living at Norma'n'Eight's motel had been quite suspenseful. It was in a way, a delightful morning of fresh air and renewed strength.

    The path was unclear. It had been a week since you stood on a hill looking at the distant farm of Sunkensky. Yet both Yaj'dak and Lucia had a head for navigation and Zain had been reminiscing. There were ancient half-formed memories, maybe real, maybe imagined based on the stories of others. A field of corn and a large house made of big logs ... sturdy ... safe ... home?

    It seemed reasonable to agree to come back to Tearhill once each group had achieved it's objectives. There had been no threats from the undead after the first day.

    The first choice was whether to cross the large river to the side of the gangs as soon as possible, or as late as possible. This side would have the threat of the Iron chain and mraow patrols. On the other side... gangs, gnolls, something else maybe? Where would you choose to go?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    As their group deliberates on what route to take, Lucia says, gesturing vaguely, "The gangs might not necessarily be enemies, but they could still be hostile, like bandits, looters, or even taking their own slaves. And of course running into the Mraow and Iron Chain on this side may be possible, but I doubt they are after us at the moment. If they were, they should have already found us with their diviners by now."

    "I think we should stay on this side for now but frequently look for opportunities to cross should something go awry here."
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    You come near the river by midday. It quickly becomes apparent that the river would be easiest to cross here where it's smaller. Small streams join the river all the time and it rapidly gathers strength as it continues it's course lower into the valley. Here, in the upper parts, the crossing is a trivial thing.

    Once on the river itself, you see that the river descends rapidly. You will have to descend carefully. The cliffs are steep at places.

    Where the river is slower, there are plenty of flowers. Crabs seem to be a constant on this river but where the river is full of blooms you can also see frogs and wading birds, with long feet, hunting the frogs.

    Spoiler: IMAGE
    Show


    When you look further along the river you can make out a large stone bridge far in the distance, where the river has grown larger. There's a kind of a fortification on the souther side of this bridge.

    At one point during the early hours of your trek you see a small flock of the bloodsucker owls near the corpse of a wild dog. They are not directly on your path so they ignore you and continue their meal.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Do you proceed as fast as you can or as stealthily as you can? Do you cross the river when you find the easy spot? And would you please give me survival or athletics rolls regarding the cliff descent.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Yaj'dak nods Better the demons we know. I suggest we move cautiously, especially with those birds about

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Yaj'dak can hold a rope to help the others down first, if the drop isn't too steep for that. I'd also like to roll stealth to account for how well he's keeping a low profile (basically not immediately being an obvious biped to anyone who is quickly scanning the horizon)

    Athletics (1d20+5)[24]

    Stealth (1d20+2)[17]

    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

    E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    "Right. Looks like the river only gets more difficult further along, and I don't like the look of that bridge..."

    With Yaj'dak's help, Lucia descends with the aid of the rope. And trying to cross that opening where they may be visible at a distance at a healthy mix of stealth and not taking too long.

    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    stealth: (1d20+1)[17]
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    The day passes as you work your way down from the higher parts of the valley into the lower ones. The rain allows you some cover but also makes the climb more difficult. Many times the group has to marvel at Yaj'dak's iron grip on the cliff wall when he manages to safely come down seemingly dangerous paths.

    At one point during the day you can see a wagon caravan go down the valley on a road on the opposite side, the guards' side of the river.

    The day passes without a mishap. Daylight is getting low when you come upon the burnt out ruins of what would have been a group of four wooden buildings. There'a s clearing and what would have been a small patch of farmed land. Small rock walls that were doubtless animal pens are still standing.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Number 4 on the map.


    There doesn't seem to be anyone left here. You surmise that this place was burnt out in an attack on the same day that you escaped the slavers.

    You can see some nuts left in a grouping of palms that look like they've been cultivated. You can also see a lone capybara running in the ruins.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia sighs and says, "It's a shame seeing places like this, someone's livelihood destroyed.. I wonder who lived here or who might have done this..."

    While assessing whether or not it might be safe to actually enter the buildings, Lucia still does some investigation on the outside, looking for tracks, footprints, maybe shards of broken things, arrowheads, blood, etc. Any clues.

    survival: (1d20+2)[15]
    perception: (1d20+2)[5]
    investigation: (1d20+5)[17]
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    You found some arrowheads, some metal pans, a belt buckle, a bunch of nails, a couple of knives and even a set of needles. Various small items that have survived the fires.

    There's a path to the southwest that seems to have been used regularly. It's also going in the direction where you're headed as it happens. The attackers didn't come on the path though. They came and apparently left through the southern woods. You actually find some gnoll footprints to ascertain the nature of the attackers.

    You feel elated at not finding any corpses. It looks like the residents of the farm either escaped or were captured.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Coatell looks around a bit and suggests
    This place has stood here for quite a while before it was attacked. We saw the plumes of smoke when we first came here. I think the gnolls don't normally attack this region. There were alarm horns and troop movements soon after. We might have the gnolls to thank for having the mraow be so disinterested in our actions so far.

    Then she wonders.
    Do you think we should spend the night here or try to get as far as we can before having some sleep?

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia says, "There's not much in the way of shelter, and I feel it's too out in the open. On top of being near that guarded bridge. I think we should move on and hopefully find someplace more ideal to break camp."
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    I agree, Lady Lucia. The trees would hide us better. I recommend we stick to dry rations if we're concerned about being spotted. Yaj'dak will gather the useful looking refuse they found.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Gonna pick up any of the items you mentioned that look to be in usable condition
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

    E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Yaj'dak picks up a number of items and then you continue southwest. You make good pace as you have a path to move on. The woods cover you on both sides and there's little reason to creep.

    The rain stops. Soon after you find yourself tired. Evening is here and it's very late. It's midsummer and the days are longer. Walking through all of daylight makes you quite tired. Rikkan insists that he and Yaj'dak take the worst guardshifts in the middle of the night. Justius takes another of the worst shifts and Coatell asks to take the first shift suggesting Lucia would take the morning shift.

    The ground is wet and uncomfortable but the weather isn't cold so it's not too difficult to find a minimal level of comfort. In no time at all, people are asleep. Weariness wins.

    Coatell eventually wakes Yaj'dak up. It's dark and calm. She goes to sleep while Yaj'dak finds himself sitting in the blackness, listening, waiting. About thirty minutes later, there's the sound of a dog barking somewhere in the distance. A little while later there's more barking, it's coming from the east.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Yaj'dak takes up his maul and moves to the east side of the camp. He stands with this feet apart and his hands over his head, attempting to appear larger to any predators that might come snooping. If the sound retreats he'll resume his watch as normal. Otherwise he'll wake up Sir Rikkan.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Intimidation (1d20+3)[19]

    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

    E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand


  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    As the baying of dogs continues to get closer Yaj'dak wakes up Rikkan.
    By the time Rikkan's awake, the dogs are even closer and it's clear there's quite a number of them. Then you start hearing some growling speech amongst the barking.

    Rikkan proceeds to wake the others.
    I think someone is tracking us with dogs.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia wakes up groggily at first but that began to wear off quickly as she realized the only reason this was happening was because they were in danger.

    Hearing barking and growling speech, Lucia wakes up anyone else still sleeping and hurriedly tries to help them find their gear.

    "It's the Gnolls!" she says.
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Rikkan says
    I suggest we proceed on the path southwest. By the sounds of it there's a significant group of gnolls. This spot in the middle of the woods could hardly be worse for defence. If we find a hill, a ditch or a ford to protect we will already be better off.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia curses under her breath.

    "They'll be pursuing us then. And for how long..."

    She asks as they continue gathering their things, "Can you all see okay? As soon as I make any light spells, they will know exactly where we are at."
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Coatell suggests
    Lucia, can you guide those lights to fly under the fern cover. That will significantly decrease the light shed around.

    Justius offers.
    I can lead them to another direction, give the rest of you more time to escape.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Zain apologizes for being under the weather.

    I can cast some quick little spells that might get them to go in a different direction.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    "But Justius, how will you find your way back to us?" Lucia asks. "I think we will need you more, when we can hopefully find a more defensible position.."

    When everyone is ready to go, Lucia will cast dancing lights with the lights as low to the ground as possible, and spread out a bit to illuminate their path ahead.
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    You start moving further west hoping to evade the pursuers. You make good time with Lucia's light showing you the way. Between the trees and the undergrowth the spread of the light is quite limited.

    You're going up all the time but Rikkan insists that the hill is not steep enough to be considered a proper defensive position. Then you suddenly come out of the forest. It's another clearing, another settlement. This too has been attacked recently, burned down.

    In your hurry you don't have time to really explore the settlement. There's similar small stone walls for animal pens as there were in the first settelement. The walls go up to waist-height. There's the remnants of three buildings, all burnt out husks at this point. Nothing remarkable.

    Your attention is immediately drawn instead to something you see in the south. You have a high position allowing you to look over some shorter trees. Maybe a mile to the south there's a tower. The tower itself isn't burning but there's a fire inside, a torch maybe. In that light the structure is clearly visible against the dark background.

    You realize you're close to Sunkensky and you wonder if the gnolls are actually looking for you or simply heading to the same place you are. The relative safety of the settlement feels welcoming.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Let us hurry, maybe we reach the tower and warn the inhabitants before the gnolls get there. Zain said to the others as his steps increased like a man with a plan .

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    The group picks up pace now that you have a goal in sight. Luckily, the path you have been walking on, is also heading to the same direction. As you move, you realize that the sounds following you have changed. You hear the sound of gnolls less but the dogs are getting nearer quickly. It sounds like they've released the hounds.

    You get down the hill. You can see the end of the forest nearby and hear the sound of a river closeby. You can kind of make out the form of a bridge as there are a number of lights at a distance but there's still too many trees and too much distance to catch details.

    At that time the dogs are starting to catch up to you. You realize there's a pack of hounds about 60' behind you, barking, hunting.

    Coatell yells
    Rikkan, try to hit the larges one first! It's the pack leader and the others will follow what it does!

    About ten dogs run from behind you, they dash not straight at you but they run to the sides of your group, being 10'to20' to either direction.

    Rikkan looks to the right and says
    Everyone, defend Lucia and Zain!

    Then he steps of the path and takes a swing at the largest dog in the pack. In the dark his weapon catches a branch and he completely misses.

    Spoiler: Initiative queue
    Show

    I rolled some dice and got really great numbers
    8 Yaj'dak
    7 Justius
    5 Lucia
    3 Zain

    End of round 1
    Round 2

    10 Coatell
    9 Dogs (10?)
    8 Rikkan

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia draws her dagger and she points at the largest dog that appeared to be the pack leader as Coatell called out.

    "Look out, Sir Rikkan!" she calls out as she launches a fire bolt at the pack leader. Something about this seemed familiar. The attack wasn't going to connect, but as he moved out of the way, it left the perfect opening to sear the dog right in the face.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    attack: (1d20+5)[10]
    replacing with one of those diviner dice: attack roll of 5 + 19 = 24

    damage: (1d10)[10]


    (assuming she's also keeping some lights up)
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-12-29 at 03:24 AM.
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Lucia's firebolt turns the largest dog into a canine torch. The creature howls for a couple of seconds and then just burns on the ground, tallow catching fire. The dogs on your right are clearly shaken by the sight.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Yaj'dak strikes the largest dog on the left side of the group. The maul breaks the creature's back.

    Justius strikes another dog with an axe, silencing that one. He has another axe in the other hand which he tries to use to hit another dog, but this time he misses.

    After Lucia torches one of the dogs, Zain grabs another dog and shocks it's paw slightly.

    Coatell gives a suggestion to Yaj'dak about positioning, while using a maul in a forest, and then he continues to advance toward the tower.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    +4 to Yaj'dak's next action


    The dogs are alarmed. They disengage and withdraw deeper into the woods. They keep barking and you get the idea they might still pursue, possibly even attack again. But they're definitely frightened by the fire and losing their two leaders.

    Rikkan tries to intimidate the dogs further by shouting but retreats toward the tower.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can either keep fighting the dogs or retreat. Or you can of course do something to surprise me

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    "Come on. Let's hurry to the tower now. And pray whoever may be there is remotely friendly," Lucia says, urging her companions onward.

    "If they aren't, well.. maybe that gives us more time to run from our pursuers..."
    Avatar: Astra Glitterwing in A Faerie Affair

    Nexus character: Solstice

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Smilex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    You continue advancing to the forest's edge and you see a fortified farm beyond a river.

    Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    Though you can't see all of the place immediately, here's a map to help you understand scale and shape.
    https://i.ibb.co/P6cTcnv/Sunkensky.jpg


    There's sounds of shouting beyond the river. Human noises and guttural warcries. There's flaming arrows flying in the air, but they're failing to set the farm alight.

    The forest ends on the bank of a fast-flowing river spanned by a wooden bridge which leads to the gate of the palisaded homestead. The majority of the enemies seem to be assaulting it's left side.

    You get closer and somebody yells at you from over the fences.
    There's people beyond the bridge! They're running from more gnolls! Quick! The Gate! The gate!

    You see at the other end of the bridge a large door starts opening.

    Behind you you see gnolls carrying torches appear from between the trees.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Sunkensky to Redemption IC

    Protect the bridge. We will move a back slowly. Zain yells as he brings his axe up to defend the bridge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •