Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 3.5 OOC Thread

*sniffle* This scene is so sad. I'll miss you.

You were a very nice shirt.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    *sniffle* This scene is so sad. I'll miss you.

You were a very nice shirt.
    This is why Alastor paid Jim less than the other members of the circus (and it totally was not because the last time we had to divide money was before Jim showed up)
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Im not the one making the choice... not yet.

But Diana and Alastor are basically going to be... well, crippled if they come back that way.

Diana needs her Con for her breath weapon and it was the only reason shes even survived this long.

And Alastor? Even if he comes back?

His companions wont.

I hate this. I hate this and Im not even the one paying the price.

And this is all my fault.

Im sorry guys.
    Cool elan (no not that kind) Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal)

Extended signature here.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    This is why Alastor paid Jim less than the other members of the circus (and it totally was not because the last time we had to divide money was before Jim showed up)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

If the Arcadian Avenger flies can she reach that bugbear ******* with a charge?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Archive Of Our Own FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Extended signature here.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Let's say she can, though the bugbear'll get cover bonuses to the attack.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

An arcane spellcaster managing to out-melee an Arcadian Avenger with a +8 bonus at this level would be levels of BS that I don't think even you're capable of achieving, cover bonuses or no.

Extended signature here.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    An arcane spellcaster managing to out-melee an Arcadian Avenger with a +8 bonus at this level would be levels of BS that I don't think even you're capable of achieving, cover bonuses or no.
    Hmm... Duskblade would beg to differ.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Hmm... Duskblade would beg to differ.
    The last I checked Duskblades can't cast Fireball in a way that not be complete and utter BS one way or another, so it's good enough for me.

Extended signature here.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yep, Fireballs bad, m'kay!

Hopefully Jim doesn't take any more damage, otherwise anything I can do for Arendi might not help anyway. Vokon is hurting, too - but if the Avenger is going to pick on the bugbear (especially with its significant bonus to damage from allies falling), I think that means the goblins will likely consider him a higher threat than a Vokon who's not actively chasing after the caster.

That leaves me with two basic options:
    #1: Try to heal allies, starting with Arendi (since if he's back up, he can help me help others).
    #2: Attack the hobbo holding the door shut so that Chatty can help pursue the bugbear. After what he's done, I sure as hell don't want him to escape!

Thoughts from anyone else?
    Last edited by Aracor; Today at 12:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post

Hopefully Jim doesn't take any more damage, otherwise anything I can do for Arendi might not help anyway. Vokon is hurting, too - but if the Avenger is going to pick on the bugbear (especially with its significant bonus to damage from allies falling), I think that means the goblins will likely consider him a higher threat than a Vokon who's not actively chasing after the caster.

#1: Try to heal allies, starting with Arendi (since if he's back up, he can help me help others).
    #2: Attack the hobbo holding the door shut so that Chatty can help pursue the bugbear. After what he's done, I sure as hell don't want him to escape!

Get Arendi back up, because literally everyone else who can heal is dead.

Extended signature here.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Whew! Lots happens in a few hours. So sorry for the deaths, guys! We'll try to get you back up ASAP!

Saintheart, two things:

I had thought that Chatty's movement to H10 would take her out of the building, potentially drawing an AoO from the hobgoblin if it had a melee weapon and not its bow out. But clearly I'm misreading the way the map is working. Should I adjust my understanding of the map, or was that a miscommunication between us? Not asking for a retcon, but clearly it's useful for me to know how to read the map.

This keep is old and battered, and generally in rough shape, yes? So is it fair to assume that there would be a crack within or at the bottom of the door, if only to allow it to open and close properly? Enough for Chatty to see the courtyard?
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post

Your call, but I'm hoping Chatty can help herself through the door. If you move to melee with someone, though, it makes it harder for the manticore to pincushion you.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

Jim has a healing belt with full charges, so he can at least help a little.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure if Diana and Alastor are going to be "back", though even without metagaming I think getting the healer back up would probably still be a good idea.

A third Fireball really is going to kill us all, isn't it? I really don't feel like we had much of a choice in that though...

Extended signature here.

16. - Top - End - #976

I'm not sure if Diana and Alastor are going to be "back", though even without metagaming I think getting the healer back up would probably still be a good idea.

A third Fireball really is going to kill us all, isn't it? I really don't feel like we had much of a choice in that though...
    I think a lot of what happened is simply lack of communication and then at a certain point lack of choice.

Once the fight actually started, it didn't last long (which is pretty typical). I think we'd have done a lot better if it weren't for the last complication pulling the bugbear into us and basically meaning we had to fight the entire contents of the keep in a single battle.
    Last edited by Aracor; Today at 01:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The good news is that the hobgoblins' complication dice must be up to 6 by now, so they'll have to roll too. Then the bugbear will accidentally fireball the manticore, and we'll win!

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I should probably get my Arcadian Avenger to start stabbing that bugbear in the face before I go to bed. Not that I'm confident we'll avoid a TPK either way, but might as well delay the inevitable.

Extended signature here.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm confident that a 24 will hit that guy's AC, but less confident about how much 22 damage will do against him. He used something to block Chatty's attack, I'm not sure what it was but it must be pretty robust if it can negate something like that.

Extended signature here.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

...Apologies for the triple post, but I just remembered that I have a delayed damage pool and I could have only been disabled and not knocked out.

Not that it really changes too much, though. Okay, who needs healing next? Should I heal myself maybe? I am taking care of both my hit points and Jim's.

Extended signature here.

21. - Top - End - #981

...Apologies for the triple post, but I just remembered that I have a delayed damage pool and I could have only been disabled and not knocked out.

Not that it really changes too much, though. Okay, who needs healing next? Should I heal myself maybe? I am taking care of both my hit points and Jim's.
    Diana's right next to you. Help her next. We don't actually know what shape everyone else is in, so let's just go from there.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Firbolg in the Playground

I disagree -- healer, heal thyself! Being down, Diana won't get targeted with more attacks, and if she gets fireballed again then a low-level cure isn't going to make a difference. Arendi can make better use of that hp.

Also, I'm not sure I should continue in the game at all, never mind as Diana. It moves too fast for me to keep up sometimes, and it's pretty clearly above my optimization level as a player. I'm still pondering.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm confident that a 24 will hit that guy's AC, but less confident about how much 22 damage will do against him. He used something to block Chatty's attack, I'm not sure what it was but it must be pretty robust if it can negate something like that.
    I had assumed it was either Heart of Earth (triggering a stoneskin or something similar), or Wings of Cover, reskinned in some way. It was a cool effect.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Whew! Lots happens in a few hours. So sorry for the deaths, guys! We'll try to get you back up ASAP!

Saintheart, two things:

I had thought that Chatty's movement to H10 would take her out of the building, potentially drawing an AoO from the hobgoblin if it had a melee weapon and not its bow out. But clearly I'm misreading the way the map is working. Should I adjust my understanding of the map, or was that a miscommunication between us? Not asking for a retcon, but clearly it's useful for me to know how to read the map.
    No, that's my screwup. For some insane reason I'd had thought you were stopping at J10, i.e. inside the doorway. You didn't misread the map, I did :)

This keep is old and battered, and generally in rough shape, yes? So is it fair to assume that there would be a crack within or at the bottom of the door, if only to allow it to open and close properly? Enough for Chatty to see the courtyard?
    Yes. Yes. and Yes. :)

I had assumed it was either Heart of Earth (triggering a stoneskin or something similar), or Wings of Cover, reskinned in some way. It was a cool effect.
    It's not. I'll get to what it was after the fight's over, but for now, notice how the caster has no familiar?

25. - Top - End - #985

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I disagree -- healer, heal thyself! Being down, Diana won't get targeted with more attacks, and if she gets fireballed again then a low-level cure isn't going to make a difference. Arendi can make better use of that hp.

Also, I'm not sure I should continue in the game at all, never mind as Diana. It moves too fast for me to keep up sometimes, and it's pretty clearly above my optimization level as a player. I'm still pondering.
    Frankly, I'm hoping that the avenger and Chatty can keep the bugbear dealt with at least for round or two. If Chatty manages to flank him, that helps a LOT because it means he really CANNOT just move, eat an AoO, and then cast again.

Hmm...based on that, maybe better to heal Vokon and he can go finish off the goblins and hobgoblins, and catch up to the bugbear if they can't deal with it themselves. I mean, he'll go anyway, but he's hurt badly enough that it will only take a single lucky hit to knock him down.