Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think it does if it is cheap enough. Eliminating roads would make cities indescribably better. Half the surface area or more of a city is just asphalt lanes at this point, and the roads keep getting wider relative to the buildings. There is a road near my house that has double wide side walks, bike lanes, two traffic lanes, and a full sized median/turn lane down the middle. The road is almost as big as the neighborhoods on either side of it, which also have roads to service each street. Just reducing the sheer mass of asphalt and condensing cities would be better for the people and the economy of each city, to say nothing of the environment.

    It would ironically reduce the amount of traffic, as a huge amount of it is generated by the sheer volume of land used to make it possible to drive anywhere. Think about how far your closest grocery store would be sans roads and highways inbetween; most people wouldn't have to drive anymore. Which means there would be even less call for vehicles, which means you could make the spaces even shorter.
    Or, alternately, you could, again, make the roads taller instead
    Omegaupdate Forum

    WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

    PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

    Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

    Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

    If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Or, alternately, you could, again, make the roads taller instead
    You really can't. Not only is that expensive, the roads inhibit foot traffic, damage the environment for multiple reasons, and are fragile. It also wouldn't reduce the street roads at all, which make up the majority of wasted space.

    Seattle recently removed its famous viaduct for those reasons, but found the replacement tunnel so expensive they gave up and removed all access to the waterfront by sticking a ground level highway on it. Cars are literally the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    As for datajacks - some people are investigating technological implants etc., but I think neural-connections that are not anywhere close yet.
    Everything I've read had indicated that so far, it's all one way from person to machine, but those signal inputs are getting very sophisticated and cheap, for example commerically available myosensors which can register the electrical activity of a muscle and convert that to a data signal. It's very common in prosthetics (prosthetic arms in particular); one interesting development is that it even works with people who are congenital amputees (ie they were born without a limb), so they can learn how to use a new limb, even if they never had one before.

    I know there are brainwave sensors, but I don't know the sensitivity and granularity of that technology and whether that could be harnessed to direct a mouse pointer; once that's possible, then you can run an external HUD device while doing other things. There's been some promising work in the form of an artificial retina (link), but they're still working on sending signals back via the optic nerve.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I thought Musk's plan was to give the moon a pass and go straight to Mars :P
    That was also Van Braum's plan. Funding got in the way. That and you wouldn't believe how many Saturn Vs it would take to make one trip to Mars. If Musk wants a fat contract from NASA (you don't get to be the world's richest man by turning down billion dollar jobs doing mostly things your company was going to do anyway, even if in a different location).

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I see them all the time. Hell, every hospital I've seen even has a port specifically built for flying cars. They're commercially available and start at $100,000.

    Most people just don't know how to operate them, which is crazy. Mother****er it's just lift vs drag and rotation! video of previous statement not linked for obvious reason.
    Ask Kobe Bryant how that worked out. And while you can name plenty of people who died in small planes vs. helicopters, that's largely because people are much more likely to travel in helicopters. Those things are in a constant battle with the air, and sometimes they lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    We might not have holodecks, but VR technology is finally starting to see some fruit. A few more integrated accessories for Oculus Rift type techs, like a treadmill, and you've almost got a Ready Player One haptic rig.
    VR headsets are *amazing*. Not sure if the "sliding treadmill" will be good enough, or we'll need the full "2d treadmill". Might take a bit longer for the price of those to come down.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Aug 2020

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I think it does if it is cheap enough. Eliminating roads would make cities indescribably better. Half the surface area or more of a city is just asphalt lanes at this point, and the roads keep getting wider relative to the buildings. There is a road near my house that has double wide side walks, bike lanes, two traffic lanes, and a full sized median/turn lane down the middle. The road is almost as big as the neighborhoods on either side of it, which also have roads to service each street. Just reducing the sheer mass of asphalt and condensing cities would be better for the people and the economy of each city, to say nothing of the environment.

    It would ironically reduce the amount of traffic, as a huge amount of it is generated by the sheer volume of land used to make it possible to drive anywhere. Think about how far your closest grocery store would be sans roads and highways inbetween; most people wouldn't have to drive anymore. Which means there would be even less call for vehicles, which means you could make the spaces even shorter.
    I'm not sure that's accurate, yes, modern cities are mostly roads, but with ought them the space they occupy would still need to be empty, as this space provides access to light to the buildings as well as allow you not to look directly to your neighbor windows. Of course it would be better to have grass there instead of road, but that's more of environment issue. Oh and usually under the road you have sewers, electricity, natural gas, internet etc so it's necessary to have an easy access for those in case of emergence.

    Having close groceries, schools and work would of course limit the traffic, and bigger roads allow for having much more remote home, but I would say it's more a city planning problem then the one due to roads. It's usually easier to have a business downtown as you can find there more customers, more employees (especially skilled ones) and cooperators etc. So people want to live/work in downtown which make home prices higher and force people to commute and at the same time make the downtown more attractive to businesses so the loop goes only worse.
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being – literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

    The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Ask Kobe Bryant how that worked out. And while you can name plenty of people who died in small planes vs. helicopters, that's largely because people are much more likely to travel in helicopters. Those things are in a constant battle with the air, and sometimes they lose.
    A.) It was a joke. It even included was a direct quote from Me, Myself, and Irene, where it was also a joke.
    2.) Yes, almost everything has a <100% success rating. Helicopter crashes are still remarkably rare as a percentage of helicopter flights.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-17 at 11:55 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by asda fasda View Post
    I'm not sure that's accurate, yes, modern cities are mostly roads, but with ought them the space they occupy would still need to be empty, as this space provides access to light to the buildings as well as allow you not to look directly to your neighbor windows. Of course it would be better to have grass there instead of road, but that's more of environment issue. Oh and usually under the road you have sewers, electricity, natural gas, internet etc so it's necessary to have an easy access for those in case of emergence.

    Having close groceries, schools and work would of course limit the traffic, and bigger roads allow for having much more remote home, but I would say it's more a city planning problem then the one due to roads. It's usually easier to have a business downtown as you can find there more customers, more employees (especially skilled ones) and cooperators etc. So people want to live/work in downtown which make home prices higher and force people to commute and at the same time make the downtown more attractive to businesses so the loop goes only worse.
    Well, you could potentially have your roads and/or mass transit under the parks/green spaces between your buildings, so long as you can handle accidents, breakdowns and other emergencies. And if you've got a mass transit system, you could have freight deliveries carried on that outside of peak passenger hours.

    On the subject of people's workplace locations, I'm wondering how some of the current working patterns due to Covid will affect future behaviours - for instance, my commute this time last year was something like an hour and 45 minutes , mostly on very packed trains. Obviously, there's some jobs that can't be done remotely, and you do lose some aspects of working relations when you're just on instant messaging systems, but I can see quite a few people saying that they don't need to be in an office every day, and maybe a few companies starting to wonder why they're paying high rents for large offices in prime locations when they can potentially reduce the floorspace they need to some meeting rooms and hotdesking facilities, have co-workers getting together in the office maybe once a week at most, and hire a smaller office in a less costly remote location to host any permanent facilties they need (for instance, servers that hold information that they absolutely cannot pass to cloud providers).

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    Well, you could potentially have your roads and/or mass transit under the parks/green spaces between your buildings, so long as you can handle accidents, breakdowns and other emergencies. And if you've got a mass transit system, you could have freight deliveries carried on that outside of peak passenger hours.
    Nothing potential about it. Madrid tunnelled under its river and moved 10 km of their inner loop under it, 4 lanes in each direction. Above it they put a park. How they handle accidents, I don't know, but with four lanes, I'd imagine "cordon off the mess until heavy vehicles come pick up the pieces" is enough, since few accidents will block off the whole thing.

    Madrid, as any proper city, also has excellent public transport options (cleanest subway system I've ever used, buses, train, etc). American cities could do worse than copy from Madrid's example.

    GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-17 at 10:27 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Where's my Holodeck and/or Datajack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Nothing potential about it. Madrid tunnelled under its river and moved 10 km of their inner loop under it, 4 lanes in each direction. Above it they put a park. How they handle accidents, I don't know, but with four lanes, I'd imagine "cordon off the mess until heavy vehicles come pick up the pieces" is enough, since few accidents will block off the whole thing.

    Madrid, as any proper city, also has excellent public transport options (cleanest subway system I've ever used, buses, train, etc). American cities could do worse than copy from Madrid's example.

    GW
    I was thinking more the entire city road network rather than parts of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •