New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Question on seatbelt safety

To what extent does wearing a seatbelt protect people in other cars? If you don't wear a seatbelt, then obviously you are putting yourself in more danger. And, if you are sharing the car with anyone else, then you are putting them in more danger because you could fly out of your seat and hit them. But what about people in other cars? I can imagine a scenario where you are flung out of the window of your car into another lane, which could result in a car in another lane crashing when they wouldn't have done so if you were still in your car. But how likely is that scenario?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

I guess you become a worse problem for motorcyclists? you might not just turn into a projectile, but also an obstacle on the road, and cause people to go off the road or fall to swerve suddenly.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

In a minor accident, a seat belt keeps you oriented and able to retain control of your vehicle, and thus better able to prevent secondary collisions.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-01-10 at 01:33 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    In a minor accident, a seat belt keeps you oriented and able to retain control of your vehicle, and thus better able to prevent secondary collisions.
    That's likely one of the key things, it keeps many minor accidents from becoming major ones.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, that beeping quits in about 20 seconds. Most people take longer than that getting their current playlist going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Some do. Some don't. It's like turn signal timers, there's no standard.
    As Peelee said, it varies. My car beeps continuously for about 30 seconds, then beeps about 5 seconds every 30 seconds until the car is off or the belt fashioned. My friend down the street's car beeps consistently. And my parents' car beep for about 15 seconds, then is just a flashing light.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    As Peelee said, it varies. My car beeps continuously for about 30 seconds, then beeps about 5 seconds every 30 seconds until the car is off or the belt fashioned. My friend down the street's car beeps consistently. And my parents' car beep for about 15 seconds, then is just a flashing light.
    ...The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    ...The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from...
    In that case we just need to develop one standard that covers all use cases, right?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    In that case we just need to develop one standard that covers all use cases, right?
    Indeed. I used to have that one hung up on the wall at work.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Indeed. I used to have that one hung up on the wall at work.
    I also try to keep this story in mind.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I'd wager that the number of people who dont wear seatbelts out of some sort of malice or petulance is dwarfed by the people who do it out of laziness or apathy. We dont need to make a solution for literally every circumstance, just the more common ones. We cant completely stop people from hurting themselves, but we can at least stop enabling them.
    Back in the 1970s my friend's father showed my father a complicated scheme of wrapping his seatbelt so he could ride in the (friend's dad's) car without wearing his seatbelt.

So it does (or did) happen. I have to assume these attitudes are much more prevalent in people born before "Unsafe at any Speed*" was published.

* the only reason to read the book is to see what type of nut Ralph Nader really is/was. The overall theme of the book is a widespread conspiracy to kill Americans in unsafe cars while everybody is simply meeting the (local minima) demand for unsafe cars. Reading it is a weird experience, in a kind of "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you" kind of way. It is conspiracy theory that is effectively correct in its facts, I don't expect to read anything else like it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

In 2009 I was visiting the US and was staying with an aquaitance and as he picked me up from the airport I couldn't find the seatbelt fastener in the backseat, normally only the dogs rode in the back of this car.
    He told me it was ok, there was no law requiring it. I told him I didn't as much care about he law as I valued my life. So he had to figure out where to dig up the fasteners for the seatbelts since I wouldn't ride without it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    In 2009 I was visiting the US and was staying with an acquaintance and as he picked me up from the airport I couldn't find the seat belt fastener in the backseat, normally only the dogs rode in the back of this car.
    He told me it was ok, there was no law requiring it. I told him I didn't as much care about he law as I valued my life. So he had to figure out where to dig up the fasteners for the seatbelts since I wouldn't ride without it.
    Good for you!

I suppose the seat belts had been shoved down between the seats, or back into the trunk?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #43

Given the skill level of the average American driver, smart move.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Good for you!

I suppose the seat belts had been shoved down between the seats, or back into the trunk?
    When delivered from factory usually they tuck the seatbelt-fastener (I'm not sure what it's called, the one you click the seatbelt into) behind/under the rear seat.

I believe he had to lift up the backseat to find them. Literally never had been in use before.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I also try to keep this story in mind.
    ...And noted with thanks.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    And here in Belgium (and I think Europe) almost all cars are sold with an alarm that beeps when you drive while not wearing a seatbelt in the front. These alarms are really annoying and do not stop (I noticed that when I had a box on the front passenger seat which was heavy enough to trigger this alarm).
    Since I was 16 (I'm now 27), I've been frustrated by my parents over this. They've owned three different cars in that time with incredibly annoying seatbelt alarms, yet they still usually refuse to put their seatbelts on entirely out of laziness. Beyond even the safety concerns, whenever I'm in the car with them, I have to badger them into putting their seatbelts on just to get the car to shut up.

17. - Top - End - #47

It's easier when I'm driving. The key won't even go into the ignition until everybody's belted in.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Allegedly they're working on upgrading the alarm to not allowing the car to start if the seatbelt isn't worn. Because more and more of automotive safety revolves around not allowing humans to make decisions without supervision.
    As someone who works on his own vehicles, I find this problematic, maybe discriminatory. I wear my seatbelt religiously, but I start the engine first to listen to it before doing anything else, literally every single time, and if I hear something abnormal I want to be able to get out quickly to investigate. Putting a deadman switch to the gears is fine, but don't deadman my motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    I recall some years ago there were cars with a shoulder strap on a little motorized track in the door frame, one end at the door and one end always locked in, making it a nuisance to avoid being strapped in. Whatever happened to those?
    My first ride, The Mighty Tempo, had this "feature". That car is the reason I developed the habits noted above. Like someone mentioned, people lost their heads over automatic shoulder belts.

Boy-o-boy, can I attest to this.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    As someone who works on his own vehicles, I find this problematic, maybe discriminatory.
    Not discriminatory. At least, not against any protected class.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2