New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default how long can i type before i get logged out?

I just spend 20 minutes typing in one of these windows and when i clicked submit, it erased everything and said i wasn't logged in.

How long can i type before it erases everything?
    Last edited by anthon; 2020-12-23 at 03:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: how long can i type before i get logged out?

If you have cookies enabled in your browser and select "Stay Logged On" when you log on, then it should never time you out. Problems with staying logged on might arise if your browser is refusing cookies or otherwise deleting them.

If you do not have cookies enabled, or you do not select the "Stay Logged On" option, I believe the time out is 15 minutes from memory. The website will not erase anything if you do not hit submit, but it could be lost if you submit while not logged in. Try hitting back and seeing if the text is still there. Also look to see if any of your text was auto-saved by starting a new post and looking to the bottom of the text body.

I've gotten into a habit of always copying large bodies of text to clipboard on any website before submission, because I've lost the information submitted far too many times. I highly recommend people consider doing the same.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: how long can i type before i get logged out?

Good advice, and Thanks. It's good to know i just barely missed the window, but yes, it erased everything into oblivion, so i retyped what i could from memory in notepad. I spent too much time playing with font colors.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: how long can i type before i get logged out?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I've gotten into a habit of always copying large bodies of text to clipboard on any website before submission, because I've lost the information submitted far too many times. I highly recommend people consider doing the same.
    I do this as well, all the time. It saves me a lot of grief, especially when I'm DMing PbP games. :)
    Happy Holidays!
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums