New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Please Help me make a Terrakineticist for Skulls & Shackles

Hey guys just looking for some advice on how to build a Kineticist (specifically Terrakineticist) for Skulls and Shackles. From what the GM told me despite being able to use all the elements (limited to 1 element based on ranger favored terrain) I'll mostly be looking at Water, Earth and Aether (Ocean, Urban & Underground respectively w/ Underground & Water often coming together so i can kind of choose which to use)

Fluff-wise I'm planning to have my character be a sort of go w/ the flow hippie/stoner type person, definitely True Neutrul.

Feat wise ill mostly just be getting the standard ranged package (PBS, Precise Shot, Imp. Critical etc.) but otherwise i have to be careful because unlike my wild talents my feats are the same regardless of my location, one suggestion I've been given for example is to assume physical blast since more elements have physical blasts than elements have energy blasts AND i'm less screwed by having an element that is likely to be resisted in their respective climate/terrains.

Talent wise i'm hoping to take advantage of the region specific element access to take to less used wild talent like water breathing for example since in wont really need that on dry land and the majority of the times id need it there will be water nearby.

Please try to keep your responses as spoiler-free as possible in regards to S&S but feel free to give advice based on knowledge of the module (just like i'd give to a ranger player by suggesting certain favored enemies for example)

So uh yeah thanks in advance :D

Edit:
    Oh here's the region+elements for reference
    Aether = Urban & Ethereal Plane
    Air = Hill, Warm Mountains, Plains & Plane of Air
    Fire = Volcanoes, Desert & Plane of Fire
    Earth = Underground and Plane of Earth
    Water = Cold, Swamp, Water & Plane of Water
    Wood = forest, jungle, the Fey World, and the Positive Energy Plane.
    Other Elements = Like Void or 3pp Elements are not specified but the archetype says to add new elements as they come, DM has not stated her plans for Void and isn't sure if she's goiong to include the elememnts from the Kineticist of Popyra/Legendary Kineticist Books (oh I also could probably choose a few talents, feats, etc. from those boooks without much if any resistance)
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2021-01-23 at 11:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Please Help me make a Terrakineticist for Skulls & Shackles

Underground is... rare. Urban and Ocean are where it's all taking place. There is SOME underground but concentrate on the other two.

I will give some advice for this ap.

For this particular character, hippy is about as far from what you're looking for as possible. This is NOT a happy go lucky campaign. You are constantly desperate. Failure means death at every corner. Your enemies are numerous. And one wrong move will see you burn. This is a PIRATE campaign. "Go with the flow" will see your flow going straight to hell.

Of course, hippy getting big dose of reality and growing to rise to the challenge might work. But walk up to the wrong man saying "hey man, you need to chill and have some bud man" and you WILL need a new character. No joke.

You need to know a few things going in:

You MUST have the following 3 things going into the first book:
    An area effect reusable ability at level 2.
    A person able to win in a 1 on 1 fight without magic.
    A person able to use diplomacy well.

Other useful things:
    profession sailor
    swim
    survival
    Acrobatics

Every character needs profession sailor.

Edit: Lastly, pick a person in the group. Make that person the group leader. IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-01-23 at 11:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll respond to the rest l8r, probably in the morning since im kind of passing out but I think i gave the wrong impression when i said "hippie/stoner" i more meant that he's kinda of cool with whatever is happening, hey were torturing people, thats cool...I can make fire (or create water for waterboarding) does that help? DUDE that guys face exploded, cooool!This guy would be comfortable hanging w/ Lawful Good Healers or Chaotic Evil Destroyers of Worlds. He just wants to experience things.
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2021-01-23 at 11:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Underground is... rare. Urban and Ocean are where it's all taking place. There is SOME underground but concentrate on the other two.
    Ah ok noted, I will mention hat the GM has ruled that I have be within 30ft of a "terrain" to attune myself to it althog i can only ever be attuned to one terrain, so on a beach for examppel I could utlize Fire ("desert") or water (well water :P) or in a flooded cave I could choose to attne to underground or water in a interest of having more variety...obviously certain cases would be pretty clear what the dominant "terrain" is like a puddle in a volcano wouldnt allow me to attune to water

I will give some advice for this ap.

You MUST have the following 3 things going into the first book:
    An area effect reusable ability at level 2.
    A person able to win in a 1 on 1 fight without magic.
    A person able to use diplomacy well.
    I can probably handle the first 1 and I doubt the 3rd one will be a problem, Im pretty sure someone mentioned playing a barbarian or similar so we might have the 2nd one covered, ill double check next time that person is around.

Other useful things:
    profession sailor
    swim
    survival
    Acrobatics

Every character needs profession sailor.
    Noted! I've heard climb is quite common as well and that Know (Engineer) is useful for cannons, ballista etc.

Edit: Lastly, pick a person in the group. Make that person the group leader. IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
    Well thats definitely NOT me but I'll mention it in the group discord I'm sure someone (likely whoever is the party face) will take the position, IIRC S&S has some kingmaker like aspects to it so i assume this would be similar to the rule position from kingmaker? I guess Captain would be appropriate :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The title of this thread made me think of that one The Last Airbender episode where the earth benders were stuck on a prison ship to rob them of their powers.
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2021-01-24 at 11:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    The title of this thread made me think of that one The Last Airbender episode where the earth benders were stuck on a prison ship to rob them of their powers.
    My Terrakiineticist would laugh at their attempts to take my powers away :P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ok spent alot of the day working on this...very much still open to suggestions and advice though, thanks for all you guys have helped already. :D

Terrakineticist

(Note: KP = Kineticist of Popyra, LK = Legendary Kineticist)

(Note2: The Utilities/infusion that aren't assigned to a lvl are just ones i find interesting that i haven't found a spot for)

Race: Monkey Goblin (STR 7 / DEX 20 / CON 18 / INT 14 / WIS 5 / CHA 5 - Stat Ups: Con)

Archetypes: Terrakineticist (GM requires Gather Power to switch my element in locations w/ more than one available) & War Kineticist (LK1)

Traits: Besmara's Blessing & Reactionary

Skills [4(Class)+2(Int)+2(Mutation) = 8]: Acrobatics, Climb, Fly, Know (Nature), Perception, Prof(Sailor), Stealth, Swim

Feats

1 PBS or WF: Blast (we might be using elephant in the room, which replaces PBS w/ WF as precise shot's pre-req)

1 Precise Shot

3 Precision Blast(KP1)

5 Improved Initiative

7 Extra Battleburn(LK1)

9 Extra Infusion/Utility(LK2) - Aether: Self Telekinesis, Air: Oppressive Atmosphere(KP3), Earth: Earth Rider(KP1), Fire: Flame Jet, Water: Water Sense, Wood: Greensight

11 Signature Infusion: ??? (KP1) [Note: GM says choose one for each element unless its Uni]

13 IC: Kinetic Blast

15 Imp. Precise Shot

17 ???

19 ???

Aether (Urban, etc.)

Infusions: ???

1 - Pushing -> Foe Throw@6, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - Bowling -> Friend Throw@6, 7 - ???, 9 - ???, 11 - ???, 13 - Disintegrating, 15 - ???, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - Many Throw

Utility Talents: Telekinetic Invisibility(6), Touchsight(6), Spying Touchsight(8), Reactive Touchsight(10), Force Barrier(10), Telekinetic Globe(16), Telekinetic Deflection(16)

2 - Telekinetic Finesse, 4 - Telekinetic Haul, 6 - ??? -> Telekinetic Manuevers@8, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9 - Self Telekinesis, 10 - Greater Self Telekinesis, 12 - Suffocate, 14 - Spell Deflection, B15 - Ride the Blast, 16 - Elly Exile , 18 - Aether Architect, 20 - ???

Air (Plains/Hills/Mtns, etc.)

1 - Pushing, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - Penetrating, 7 - Synaptic, 9 - ???, 11 - Chain, 13 - ???, 15 - Cloud, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - ???

Utility talents: Accelerated Flight(1-KP3), Windsight(6), Oppressive Atmosphere(6)

2 - Air's Reach, 4 - Air Cushion, 6 - Wings of Air, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9: Oppressive Atmosphere(KP3), 10 - Aerial Evasion, 12 - Suffocate, 14 - Electricity Eater(KP2), B15-Ride the Blast, 16 -Elly Exile, 18 - Weather Master, 20 - ???

Earth (Underground, Dungeons, Metal, etc.)

Infusions: Bowling(1)

1 - Pushing, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - Impale, 7 - Rare Metal, 9- ???, 11 - Tremor, 13 - Deadly Earth, 15 - Fragmentation, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - Imprisoning(KP1)

Utility talents: Earthwalk(1), Earth Rider(6-KP1)

2 - Accelerated Climb(KP3), 4 - Shift Earth, 6 - Tremorsense, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9 - Earth Rider(KP1), 10 - Greater Earth Rider(KP1), 12 - Metal Manipulator(KP1), 14 - Acid Eater(KP2), B15 - Ride the Blast, 16 - Elly Exile, 18 - Seismic Master, 20 - Greater Shift Earth

Fire (Desert, Beaches, Volcanoes, etc.)

Infusions: Eruption(6)

1 - Burning, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - Fan of Flames, 7 - Imp. Burning, 9 - Detonation, 11 - Torrent, 13 - ???, 15 - Explosion, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - ???

Utility talents: Firey Acceleration(1-KP3), Fire Sight(6), Flame Jet(6)

2 - Fire Sculptor, 4 - Searing Flame, 6 - Flame Step, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9 - Flame Jet, 10 - Greater Flame Jet 12 - Fire Corridor, 14 - Fire Eater, B15 - Ride the Blast, 16 - Elly Exile, 18 - From the Ashes, 20 - ??

Water (Cold, Swamp, Ocean, Lake, Oasis, etc.)

1 - Pushing, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - Penetrating, 7 - Impale, 9 - Spray, 11 - Chilling, 13 - Destabilizing(KP1), 15 - Cloud or Fragmentation, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - Maelstrom or Imprisoning(KP1)

Utility talents: Accelerated Swim(1-KP3), Kinetic Cover(1 - Pre-req for Water Manip), Water Manipulator(6), Greater Water Sense(10), Suffocate(12)

2 - Ice Walker, 4 - Aquatic Adaptation(KP2)-> Greater Water Dancer@10 , 6 - Water Dancer, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9 - Water Sense, 10 - Shimmering Mirage, 12 - Ice Path, 14 - Cold Eater(KP2), B15 - Ride the Blast, 16 - Elly Exile, 18 - Tsunami, 20 - ???

Wood (Jungle, Forest, etc.)

Infusions: Greater Toxin(14), Arboreal Infestation(14-KP1)

1 - Pushing, 3 - Extended Range, 5 - ???, 7 - Impale, 9 - Toxin, 11 - Spore, 13 - Deadly "Foliage", 15 - Greater Toxin or Arboreal Infestation, 17 - Nullifying, 19 - ???

Utility talents: Plant Disguise(8), Shape Wood(8)

2 - Accelerated Climb(KP3), 4 - Woodland Step, 6 - Warp Wood, B7 - Advanced Kinesis, 8 - Greater Advanced Kinesis (KP4), EX9 - Greensight, 10 - Greater Woodland Step, 12 - Green Tongue, 14 - Treestep, B15-Ride the Blast, 16 - Elly Exile, 18 - ???, 20 - ???

Universal

Infusions: Grappling(10), Wall(10),

Utility talents: Skilled Kineticist(1), Elemental Grip (4)

KP & LK Ability Quick explanations (removed any numbers,etc.)

Intelligent Mutation (KP3)- Gain an extra 2 skills pts. per kineticist level but you can only gather power as a move action.

Feats

Extra Infusions/Utilities - Removes the Lvl requirement & the -2 Lvl clause.

Extra Battle Burn - gain extra battle burn

Precision Blast - exclude squares from aoe blast damage

Signature infusion(11) - reduce burn by 1 of an infusion you know (GM says I can choose 1 per element)

Mutable Composition - Blasts that deal damage as 1/2 & 1/2 can deal any percentage of each damage type as long as at least 1 damage is dedicated to each type.

Infusions

Arboreal Infestation - Ongoing Con damage+becomes tree upon death

Destabilizing - Reduce damage reduction, resistance or hardness on hit

Imprisoning - see ice tomb witch hex

Nullifying - Reduce target resistance or cause immunity to become high resistance.

Imp. Burning - Burning Infusion now deal 2d6 dmg a round.

Utilities

Earth Rider - Levitate as a standard

Greater Earth Rider - Levitate as a Move

Friend Throw - Telekineticly throw your friend and they can make an attack action

Metal Manipulator - Treat metal as if it was earth for the purposes of utilities (ie. Earth Rider or Sculptor)

Aquatic Adaptation - Can breate underwater and gain a bonus to swim checks

Elly Eater - when hit by X (depends on your element) gain THP equal to half damage dealt (assumes a failed save), you can spend chuncks of this THP to reduce burn costs

Elly Acceleration - Fire = Increase Land Speed, Air = Increase Fly Speed, Water = Increase Swim Speed, Earth & Wood = Climb

Elemental Limb(KP3) - im mostly making note of this in case the DM choses to make use of the scars,etc. rules and i need to replace something.

Flame Step - immune to fire from natural sources and 1/turn can short range teleport from fire source to fire source as a free action.

Hydro Cutter - adds piercing as an optional damage type to physical water blasts (can be taken instead of basic hydrokinesis)

Advanced Kinesis - Can use burn to cast domain spells appropriate to the element and your level. (Uses Con for DC,etc.)

Greater Advanced Kinesis - Gain the granted powers of above mentioned domains (Uses Con for DC,etc.)

Skill Hack - Gain skill unlocks for the class skills granted by your element

Oppresive Atmosphere - Great;y slows down enemies who get anywhere near you as well as reducing reflex saves.
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2021-01-24 at 10:53 PM.