New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ravenloft and Called Creatures

Greetings, all!

I'm soon to join a game set on the plane of Ravenloft. I'm an arcane caster and was curious about how called creatures - such as from planar binding - work officially on this plane. I've heard that summons go hostile toward their summoners at the end of the summon duration, but what about called creatures?

Thankee!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ravenloft and Called Creatures

I don't really know. I'd recommend asking your DM. We (some of us - not me) can tell you what's official (probably), but only your DM can tell you how it works in your game.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I asked because my DM seemed unsure and I wanted the official verdict with a source and page reference.

Thankee!
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

What 2nd edition spell are you referring to? I ask, because the 3e era spell, "Call Creature" does not "officially" exist in 2nd edition.. There is a spell that is unique to the Southlands in the Forgotten Realms known simply as "Call" however.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't sure of the spell name, but it would be the 3.x or Pathfinder equivalent of planar binding or gate.

There may also be some plane-specific language stating what happens to creatures called in Ravenloft.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2021-01-01 at 07:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalelf View Post
    What 2nd edition spell are you referring to? I ask, because the 3e era spell, "Call Creature" does not "officially" exist in 2nd edition.. There is a spell that is unique to the Southlands in the Forgotten Realms known simply as "Call" however.
    There's also the 4th level Priest spell Call Woodland Beings.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

According to "Van Richten's Guide to Fiends", a fiend who is summoned (by any means) is just as trapped as everyone else (i.e. it cannot leave the demi-plane), and is instantaneously aware of this fact. Said fiend will be none to pleased about its predicament to say the least, and is likely to take its anger out upon the poor soul that summoned it.

This does make since as it is in line with the Gate spell.
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2021-01-08 at 09:58 PM.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-