New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Juicy but intriguing

Has any of your players gotten into a relationship with each other? I don't just mean like a romantic one, but like have they made characters where one are the parents of the other or siblings? How do you guys run that without those connected characters taking too much spot light from the others.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Juicy but intriguing

Two times I played in a group where characters where family to eachother.
    The first time we had two characters that were brothers and it wasn't that different from normal. They both choose eachother before the others in matters of who to help etc. The thing our GM had to struggle more with were the arguments between the brothers and our noble who disliked the lowborn 'isle monkeys'.

The other time we had a monk that was the foster father of our sorceress. After the death of the monk the (evil) fighter became the 'uncle' of the sorceress. That group was strange because nearly everybody in the group was insane.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My wife is part of my gaming group (but I'm usually the GM) and there are two actual brothers in the group too. In a campaign one of the other guys ran, I set up a background where my wife's character knew mine before the campaign started, but it hasn't been important within the game itself.
    The two brothers rarely play the same race, so the PC's being related has never even been considered. If they do happen to play the same race (or potentially related) I might actually suggest something.

As GM though, if some-one suggested a relationship between characters other than sibling, cousin or close friend, I'd be inclined to say "no", except perhaps with an extremely well-written background to explain the how and why, and how they plan for this to effect the game. I'd expect that the relationship not be something that dramatically effects regular gaming sessions or game-play. It's not fair to the rest of the group if "family drama" occurs in the game. There's enough of that in real-life.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The live game I'm running has two players playing the twin kids of their own characters from the previous party/adventure.

I've also witnessed two characters having a full on ERP in text chat during a particularly slow segment, though mostly as a joke (note: I only game with friends, this isn't like a creepy rando thing or anything).
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-12-29 at 05:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The only campaign I've had it happen was in the Great Pendragon campaign, but there it's normal and ingrained into the system. You play a character and then his son and then his grandson (or nephew or something depending on how things go). There it's also possible for the son of one character to marry the daughter of another character.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My current campaign has two players who both, independently of each other, made half elf bards. On discovering this, they decided to make them siblings and twins.

And honestly, it mostly plays like any two other characters, except they bicker more over petty things. Like, its not a plot point, its just something they do on their own, so it only gets as much spotlight as they care to give it at any given time.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

My current game has two players playing half-brothers. Extra drama because the circumstances of their birth mean that the younger brother is actually ahead of the older in line to inherit (although there are a couple NPC brothers ahead of both of them).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, yes.

A lot.

Most of the time with my Brother or my former neighbour (at least one of them played in about 70% of my groups)

Only one of them did not bomb the group after it inevetably ended (the curse of playing with early 20ies people methinks).

So so far 5 times. Only the one that ended up marrying our long time GM wasnt "violently destructive" in the end (granted, that group died of other causes^^).

Sigh...as for in Game:

Only happened 3 times in the alst ...15 years of Games.
    Strangely, most players seem of thge opinion that this is either a waste of time, icky, or gives the DM points of attack^^).
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2021-01-22 at 04:10 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”