New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

The Red Hand of Doom

The dry hilltops danced with fire.

Throughout the heart of the wild badlands the humans called the Wyrmbones, great bonfires had been kindled atop the ridges overlooking Cannath Vale. There thousands of warriors had gathered -- hobgoblins in armor dyed scarlet, thick-thewed bugbear berserkers, goblin worg riders and skirmishers and archers, and the scaled ones as well, who often towered over the rest. For so long they had fought each other, tribe against tribe, race against race, engaged in the endless test of battle, feud, and betrayal. But tonight . . . tonight they stood together, hated enemies shoulder-to-shoulder, shouting together as brothers. And they saw that they were strong, and together they danced and sang and shook their blades at the smoke-hidden stars overhead.

"We are the Kulkor Zhul!" they shouted, and the hills shook with the thunder of their voices. "We are the People of the Dragon! Uighulth na Hargai! None can stand before us!"

One by one the tribes fell silent. Armor creaked as thousands turned to look up to the Place of Speaking. There, a single champion emerged from the assemblage and slowly climbed the ancient stone stair cut into the side of the hill. A hundred bright yellow banners stood beneath him like a phalanx of spears, each marked with a great red hand. The warpriests holding the banners chanted battle-prayers in low voices as the champion ascended.

On the hundredth step he stopped and turned to face the waiting warriors. He was tall and strong, one of the hobgoblin chieftains, but dull blue scales gleamed along his shoulders, and jutting horns swept back from his head. "I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!" he cried. "Hear me, warriors of the Kulkor Zhul! Tomorrow we march to war!"

The warriors roared their approval, stamping their feet and clashing spear to shield. Azarr Kul waited, holding his hands aloft until they quieted again. "The warpriests of the Doom Hand have shown us the way! They have taught us honor, discipline, obedience -- and strength! No more will we waste our blood fighting each other. We will take the lands of the elf, the dwarf, and the human, and make them ours! Under the banner of the Red Hand of Doom we march to victory and conquest! Remember that you stood here this night, warriors of Kulkor Zhul! For a hundred generations your sons and your sons' sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers -- to WAR!"

The burning hills were too small to hold the shout the Kulkor Zhul gave in answer to their warlord's call

Mid-afternoon, on the road outside Drellin’s Ferry
    Cannath Vale,
    (South of the Shaar, East of the Wyrmbones)
    The Sixth of Mirtul, 1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

At some point over some couple of miles, the washed-out yellow of tallgrass either side of the dusty trail gave way to green copses of white-trunked eucalyptus. Jaslyn’s Pea dotted the earth all around like little hanging rubies in the afternoon sun. The wind slowed, bringing the wafting scent of distant orange groves. And the rocky flatlands gave way to Cannath Vale’s rolling hills, the straight trail shifting to undulate around the rises and falls.

It made the muscles soften, the back curve into a more agreeable shape for strolling, slowed one’s mount from a walk to an amble. The shallow shadows of the hills began to relieve the day's heat, and the wind shifted westerly, putting the breeze as well as the sun at their backs for the last few miles of travel left to the travellers before they reached Drellin’s Ferry. And a strange band of travellers it was.

First came a giant.
    Or goliath, rather; head and shoulders bigger than an ordinary man, a massive hammer balanced across one shoulder, eyes glinting like emeralds. This fierce look was offset by the incongruous yellow parrot perched on his other shoulder. As it was, the hammer had apparently been lonely; half a dozen smaller hammers bounced in a bandolier across the big man’s chest like a litter of puppies under the statuesque figure’s protection. And death walked beside him.

This was not precisely a euphemism. The armoured man matching the goliath’s pace might not have been bristling with weapons, but the combination of full plate, heavy shield, and hand-and-a-half sword in its sheath might have given one pause. Few men knew how to use such weapons effectively with one hand. But fewer still also wore the holy symbol of the Scales and Bones, the sigil of Kelemvor, Lord of the Dead, and such men were not to be trifled with.

A stranger combination walked behind them. One was a solid-sized black bear. The other was a young woman. It was a question of considerable debate as to which was more deadly. One might have been entranced by the woman’s graceful stride and long auburn tresses that seemed to drift against the wind, but one would have had a note of disquiet raised when one met the woman’s single, sharp, frigid sapphire eye, and the faint unease that greeted the traveller whenever their gaze dropped to the weapon at her side – a weapon easily the size of the Death Cleric’s own bastard sword.

Behind these, camels and mules. And another pair of travellers, stranger still. One was perhaps familiar to those conversant with bards’ tales and overblown deeds of derring-do out of the North: the black skin, dark grey hair, elongated ears and cloak against the sun marked this one as a drow, a dark elf, hands never far from the dragonbone bow he carried, though this one would never have claimed to the ways or deeds of that drow from Ten-Towns. The other was not so familiar: a walking brass dragon. Or not so much walking as gliding; the creature’s posture and gait were excellent, as though it were on a dance floor or in a great lord’s chamber rather than in the middle of a dusty road. The more observant would then see that this could only be a member of the people known as the dragonborn, though the walking dragon’s age and sex were difficult to judge.

And on the left hand side of this curious menagerie of travellers, perhaps the strangest one of all: a wild-bearded Halfling with a formal bow tie and top hat riding on the back of a great riding dog. The halfling’s vest was straining to contain a generous frame (itself the result of much past prosperity). This odd vision rode up and down the left hand side of this odder column, occasionally (and not-so-occasionally) regaling the other travellers with tales of past greatness and coming magnificence for them, and, in particular, for himself.

This, then, is the band that moves from out of the obscurity that is the place of all people outside recorded history, and into this chronicle. (And here my hand relents for a cup of mulled wine, a bowl of chalked water to ease the Dry Twist of my knuckles, and to ask a blessing of Oghma: make the tale live for us in all its many bearings, O muse of historians across the Realms…)

Spoiler: The Chronicler's Marginalia
    Show
    If you're looking for the current OOC thread, it can be found here.[/URL]

The Complication Pool stands at 1 of 6.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

"All is going well" the fat halfling said in a boisterous voice to his travel companions "just a few more miles of travel left until we've reach Drellin’s Ferry, the starting point of our tour to conquer the hearts and minds of the people from Cannath Vale! From this, word will spread about the revival of the Great Bremer circus and not long after people will be praying to their gods asking for the circus to come to their town next! It's the first step on the path to fame, glory and wealth!!"

"ARE WE ALL EXCITED?!!"
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeeeeeeh..." cheered the death priest half-heartedly, as he weakly pumped his fist and rolled his eyes behind his helmet.

To the goliath he muttered, "I'll say this much about him, though; his optimism really is admirable at times. Maybe that's how he's still going on."
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Excited, yes," replied the dragonborn, "but worried, too. You know I'm not half as good as you at putting on a show. What if I flop? I don't want to reflect badly on this troupe ... or on the most excellent god who blessed me with the gifts I use. I know, I know, I've asked before, and I'm sure you wouldn't have me if you didn't think I were good enough. It's just that 'good enough' doesn't always feel good enough." She paused a moment, armor softly tikking as she walked. "I guess because Bahamut expects the best."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-12-29 at 07:22 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Human Paragon (3) / Swordsage (2)
    Player: Deadguy

Aerilaya yawned and stretched her hands into the sky. The dusty mountain trails were finally behind them. She shook out her hair and adjusted the braided leather strip that held it from her face. Rubbing her fingers together afterward, she could feel the grime. There was a grimace.

"Gods, I need a bath... will this town even have a hot bath?"

There was some doubt in her question, as if already assuming the answer would be 'no'. There was a heavy sigh. Aerilaya hadn't planned on any of this. She had just wanted to get away from home, to master her father's blade, to make him proud. If he could see me now... She shook her head. No better than the beasts I'm walking next to, forced to perform for a treat.

She gave another huff and dug into her satchel to retrieve the pipe. It was a calming habit she had picked up from the halflings of Luiren. The only times she smoked were when she was completely relaxed or annoyed.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show
    None

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, at least it’s a roof over our heads.” Arendi remarked, looking back towards the swordsage. ”Sleeping outside actually isn’t that bad when you don’t need worry about the heat or cold, but to be honest the novelty’s already worn off.”

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

"I'm just saying... I most definitely will need a proper cleaning before our first show. The men don't come to see the high wire for my stunning personality."

Aerilaya made a mock kissing face toward Arendi as he turned around. Her hands pushed her chest together in a lewd motion as she rolled her eyes. Her act didn't even seem like real entertainment. Watch a woman wearing more revealing clothes than the girls at the cat house possibly fall to her death. People were twisted.

Show
    None

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"All good performers are worried before the big night. I have worked with some of the greatest artist in the bussiness and I can tell you that the moment you stop worrying is the moment you stop getting better and start getting worse. It's all part of the performers life!" Alastor said with a grin so big you could hear it in his voice. He was very excited to have assembled such a large group for the next show.

"This really is the life, isn't it! See the world, make people happy and be rewarded with fame and fortune just for doing what you love!!"

Play-by-Post Characters:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi sighed. "Alastor, please.” The ringmaster wasn’t a bad man, but he could get insensitive at times.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I love the intro!

The goliath walked on, stolid and quiet; though his mouth quirked in a grin when he heard the priest mutter to him. He returns with: On the plus side, my guise as Strong Man doesn't require that I be eloquent. I can stay in character and not have to worry about putting on an act.

And as an even greater benefit, our band of fools and fops is still large enough to avoid the worst kind of attention and has kept travel relatively boring. Remember: Boring is good, exciting is bad. Though I must admit exciting is when we push ourselves to our limits, and that is how we grow (as long as we survive the excitement). But if they have a bed for me, I'll admit it will be welcome...even if it's two beds pushed together.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The death priest chuckled. ”Heh, I don’t need divine guidance to know that you’re right. There’s...” His face clouded over for a moment, though it went unseen as it was covered by his visor. ”...certainly worse fates than this.”

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The yellow bird perched on Vokon's shoulder flapped its wings in a great spray of golden feathers and resettled, cocking a wide eye at Arendi. "(Awwk!) Such as? (Arrrk!)"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

”Well for you, not getting fed regularly I’d expect.” Arendi responded, and then paused. ”Wait, that’s not exactly great for us either.”

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Aidan Blackbow (Adinae - Forgotten whisper)
    Male LE Drow (Dark Elf) Ranger, Level 5, Init 5, HP 28/28, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 9, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Throwing axe x2 + 10 (1d6 +1, x2)
    Short Sword +7 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Mithril chain shirt, Heavy wooden Shield (not equipped) (+4 Armor, +5 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
    Condition None

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    None.
    The greyhaired dark elf strode quietly at the back of the column, inwardly laughing at the silliness of his companions. Outwardly he was softly cursing, however, "Blasted trees... Can't see jack... And the weather is far too nice for good things... Blasted weather..." He was glad, however, for the size of their company. It had been many times when the ringleader and he had traveled with smaller troupes than this, and brigands and highwaymen always saw them as prey. They'd quickly come to regret that, but in his experience, every battle has a casualty. And he had seen far too many casualties in his life to be fond of them. So, instead, he kept his eyes trained on the trees, cursing all the while that they weren't in an open field where he could see possible enemies approaching.
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2020-12-30 at 07:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Guise?" Alastor said to Vokan "What are you talking about big guy? You ARE a strongman, strongest strongman we've had in a long time, maybe ever. And when you stand next to me on stage you look even bigger. The strength of twelve men, easily. I find it hard not to get excited when I imagine the crowds being impressed by all of you. I'm glad our travels have been uninterupted so far, but in showbizz we never say that 'boring is good' for only if the people are bored do we have to worry about food!!"

Alastor then turned pogo around for his periodic check of the other animals.

Play-by-Post Characters:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

”...I keep forgetting I’m traveling with a literal circus.” said Arendi, shaking his head.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2020-12-30 at 08:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

"Tell me the trick you use to forget. Please."

Aerilaya pleading was monotone as she clenched the pipe in her teeth and struck a spark to it. The heavy scent filled the air about her face and she gave a bit of a sigh as she exhaled.

Show
    None

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

”It’s probably because I’m not an active performer like you are, sorry.” said Arendi apologetically. He shrugged. ”Not going to lie though, your tightrope act is quite impressive. Even without this tin can I can’t hold a candle to some of the things I’ve seen you pull off. And I technically am a practitioner of the Sublime Way as well, you know.”

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Think of it this way, Aidan," the dragonborn said to the drow beside her. "The clear weather means rain isn't helping any raiders hide from us. And there's no mud on our boots to slow our steps if we have to fight." Her tone is more conversational than persuasive, though. She knows better than to try sweetening Aidan's bitterness ... if his eagle eye weren't searching for trouble, he wouldn't be himself, or perhaps even alive.

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #20

Perhaps, Alastor. But I am not so unusual among my tribe. To me, it's like getting excited because a bird flies, a fish swims, or a spider weaving a web. Would the people also be so impressed at a centaur who runs as fast as a horse? Or a dwarf who wears a beard?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

"Only if it was a female dwarf!"

Aerilaya snickered some as she called out to respond to the 'giant' among the caravan. The banter seemed to have lightened her mood, if only slightly.

Show
    None

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"You'd be surprised at what some of the kids think, Aerilaya." responded Arendi, chuckling as well.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

As they chatted, the travellers' path crested a small rise and descended into a large, shallow dell with trees shadowing both sides of the trail. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stood on one side of the road.

Aidan and the others had passed through a dozen such places today. However, this one felt wrong to the drow. And indeed it perhaps was because the dark elf had been scanning the trees suspiciously that he noticed a glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Fierce warriors -- tall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and flat faces -- were lying in wait, roosting in the branches of some of the trees around them. Eight of them at a quick count, four to either side from what he could tell. Hobgoblins. Drow awareness put the pieces together: the wind was at their backs, so Vokon and Alastor's bear hadn't smelled the creatures as they came into the road cut. But it was clear now he could see them that they were about to attack, bows being levelled on the travellers in the road cut below...

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

First up: the initiative group order is as follows:

First: Aidan, Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon, Diana
    Second: Hobgoblins
    Third: Arendi

However, this is a surprise round, so only Aidan (who was the only one to make the Spot/Listen check) and the hobgoblins get to take actions this round. A surprise round is limited to one standard action, it might be noted. As such, ShedShadow, you have 48 hours to post up, or you drop into the initiative group with Arendi. I'll update either on 48 hours' expiry or on Aidan's actions, whichever comes first.

About the terrain and other features not revealed by a 2D map:

- The hobgoblins are each 15 feet off the ground, i.e. you'd need a Reach weapon to hit them from melee at ground level, i.e. on a green square.
    - The road itself is cut into the ground. Any movement from a brown square to a green square costs double movement, i.e. 5 feet of movement rather than 10 (or 15 rather than 7.5 if moving diagonally) to reflect the awkwardness of getting up the slope, though there's no penalty or benefit when you go from green to brown. You can't charge or run if your movement has to pass through both brown and green squares.
    - The ruined farmhouse is off to the south, but the walls are high enough that, by a combination of the trees and line of sight, nobody can see what, if anything, is within those walls.
    - I've omitted Alastor's riding dog for simplicity, but he is indeed riding it, and the parrot is on Vokon's shoulder as said.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Condition None

Show
    Attack roll (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage roll (1d8+3)[4]

Possible crit confirm (1d20+11)[31]
    "I suppose you are right on that count. Still, those trees though.. Blasted trees..." As he was walking and scanning the trees, a glint of something reflected sunlight on his left. In his mind's eye, the pieces came together. An ambush, so and so, left and right, this here. He quickly scanned the trees in the positions he expected. Indeed, tiny glimmers of reflected sunlight confirmed his suspicion. As his friends walked and talked, Aidan stopped dead in the road and shouted, "in the trees! To arms!" In one smooth motion he pulled his bow back and loosed an arrow at the first glint he had seen.
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

Aidan's arrow was in the air before he'd finished speaking, but the wind caught it and sent it whistling past a hobgoblin's head. The drow could see the hobgoblins had bits of green and brown rags tied to their armour - a primitive form of camouflage, but effective it seemed.

He marked the eight or so, a warrior's mind processing what happened in a gestalten blink.

Four of the hobgoblins seemed to clutch the handgrips of their bows, closing their eyes, but doing little else.

The other four, mostly up the front of the travellers' column, hurled tiny objects at them.

Two dirty-looking cloth bags came arcing end over end at Vokon and Arendi. Most of the adventurers recognised the objects at the last second - tanglefoot bags! - but then the little alchemical horrors hit the goliath and the cleric square in their chests, the adhesive substance the items were known for splashing across their bodies. It hardened like steel, and both of them found themselves rooted to the spot, unable to move.

Aerilaya noted something out of the corner of her (one) eye. She was turning towards it, shifting position, thinking it might be another bag--
    It wasn't. It was a small grey stonelike blob, no bigger than a pebble, and it whipped in to hit an errant rock on the ground in the pass.
    The thunderstone exploded with a CRACK. And that was all that Aerilaya could hear for a good hour. And indeed it was also all that Arendi could hear for an hour too. Alastor (and surprisingly, Dobble the bear) managed to slap their hands over their ears in time to stop being deafened.

Another thunderstone came whipping towards Diana and Aidan, but the hobgoblin's aim was off, and the thunderstone clipped a rock and tumbled harmlessly to the floor of the road cut.

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

Ow.

Two tanglefoot bags and two thunderstones, though Alastor saved against the first thunderstone, and the second thunderstone was a dud throw. (The parrot was out of range of both thunderstones, and it wasn't the target of the tanglefoot bag. The riding dog also made its saves.)

- A red circle indicates a characters is stuck in place and entangled, having failed the saves on tanglefoot bags thrown at them. For easy reference, that means Vokon and Arendi are stuck in place until they make STR checks or do enough damage to themselves to free themselves, but even if they do, they move at half speed and they're entangled, i.e. -2 to attack rolls and -4 to DEX. Note also that it takes Concentration checks to cast as well.
    - A yellow triangle means that character is deafened. The changes in initiative are meaningless here, but that character obviously can't hear anything for an hour and there's a 20% spell failure chance for any spell with a verbal component. Yes, the saves have already been rolled.

- Again, a reminder on terrain: any movement from a brown square to a green square costs double movement, i.e. 5 feet of movement rather than 10 (or 15 rather than 7.5 if moving diagonally) to reflect the awkwardness of getting up the slope, though there's no penalty or benefit when you go from green to brown. You can't charge or run if your movement has to pass through both brown and green squares.

That does take us out of the surprise round, though, which leaves everyone now able to act and leaves us with the following initiative order:

First: Aidan, Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon, Diana
    Second: Hobgoblins
    Third: Arendi

As a reminder: you now have 48 hours to post up if your group acts before the hobgoblins (i.e. everyone bar Arendi). Actions are resolved in order of posting made in that 48 hour period. If someone doesn't post in the 48 hours they drop down to Arendi's group.

For ease of reference, the AC you're basically trying to hit is 18 - the hobgoblins don't have shields, but the foliage of the trees gives them a +4 in soft cover.

Good luck!

26. - Top - End - #26

Vokon screams in rage, and fear. I will NOT be caged!

He drops his hammer, and flexes mightily to try to break free.
    Strength Check: (1d20+6)[25]

Show
    I'm presuming that it takes a full-round action to try to escape. If it's only a standard action, he'll also move to G4. I'm presuming that he can easily identify that they're pretty well surrounded, and that way seems to be the way to get as far from the enemies as possible.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-01-01 at 01:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Condition None

Show
    All shots to Hobgobber 4, using rapid shot

Attack roll 1 (1d20+9)[11] for (1d8+3)[6] damage
    Attack roll 2 (1d20+9)[13] for (1d8+3)[8] damage

Possible crit confirm (1d20+9)[15]
    Possible crit confirm (1d20+9)[27]
    Now no longer cursing under his breath, Aidan raises his bow again. "Blasted TREES!" His guts clench as from the corner as he sees the little bags sailing through the air, gluing much of the caravan stuck to the ground, and his sensitive ears hurt from the blast of the thunderstone. Lucky it missed me, he thinks. Now fixing the figures more clearly in his mind, he releases an arrow, and in a flash releases a second arrow to follow after it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Blasted trees indeed! I think it is time for a little fire show!!" Alastor said with a grin and he pulled a flask from one of his pockets. "Dottle, show them why you should never climb when fleeing from a bear!". He throws his flask at the nearest hobgoblin as the bear starts growling and moving towards one of the trees.

Show
    Alastor draws one the three alchemist fire flasks he has on him as a move action and chucks it at Hobgoblong 2 in (G, -2). Because he is 15 ft. away from me he is 1 range increment away from me, which means a -2 range penalty to my attack. I'm assuming the elevation doesn't add to the distance of the ranged attack, though I may be wrong about that so I wanted to mention it just in case.

Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+4)[16]
    Alchemist Fire Damage: (1d6)[4]

In the mean time, Alastor commanded Dottle to attack Hobgoblin 7 in (E, 7). He will move towards the tree the hobgoblin is in and, because the goblin is out of reach, he will start climbing the tree. Now, I don't think he can move towards the tree and climb high enough in only a single move action, so he'll have to double move and can't attack next round, but I think he can make it all the way up the tree and be ready to maul that hobgoblin next round.
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2021-01-01 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Forgot colour for a speech line

Play-by-Post Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Blast ... trees ... fire, Diana thought as a wild combat started around her. She shouted, "Got it!" and, scrambling up from the roadbed, proceeded to give the hobgoblin waylayers a fire show as requested.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Swift action: set dragon shaman aura to fire shield, so if the hobgoblins make melee attacks against anyone within 30' of me, they take 4 fire damage. I'm not clear on how this LOOKS if it's visible at all, so I'm happy to take a cue from the GM IC or anybody OOC.

Move action: walk from (-A, -5) to (E, -5).

Standard action: dragon shaman breath on hobgoblins 2 & 3, Reflex save DC 18 for half of (3d6)[5] fire damage.

Free action: Chuckle at Wisdom 8 interpretation of allies' words.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

”Get off the X!"

Aerilaya bellowed. She didn’t mean to shout but had lost any ability to recognize her own volume due to the continuous ringing in her ears from the initial attack.

Her feet adjusted. Her movements were lighter, more measured. She all but danced up over the lip of the road and into the very tree line the hobgoblins were using to their advantage. It would provide her the same cover while hopefully distracting those closest to her.

Show
    20% miss chance (smoking)

Swift - assume Step of Winds stance

Move - to H, -1
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2021-01-02 at 12:17 AM.