New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

"Well no, not to cure this, but I have some scrolls that'll prevent it from getting worse." the greywarden said. "Because believe me it gets much worse in a couple of days without that. And we'll probably be back before then."
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Hmpfh. I guess I can move okay. Don't expect me to break any long-distance trekking records though."
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Is this because of what we ate yesterday? What ailnment is afflicting us?" Alastor said annoyed. Getting sick really does not help the plan one bit
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi said, "No, nothing like that. It's those stupid mosquitos. It sounds a bit like malaria, but I've never heard of that being so fast in progression... I can delay that for a while with these scrolls, but you two have to see Morlin for that when we get back to Drelin's Ferry."

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,
    Shaareach Forest, Cannath Vale
    Midday, the Ninth of Mirtul
    1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

Complication Dice: 3 of 6

Overriding their aches and pains, and with some worried looks from Arendi, the circus set off down the trail. Jorr and Aidan were out ahead of them, and whilst it had been hard to tell which one was swearing more when they'd first set off, from only minutes after the two scouts had moved out ahead of the party, it seemed like they'd never even been there. They kept finding trailsign and little stone markers indicating directions and so on, but the woodsman and the drow had all but disappeared into the heat-soaked twilight under the trees.

Aidan for his part would have been surprised. Even if Jorr had seemed like a crotchety old windbag back at his cabin, the old man moved with surprising grace out here, every movement economical, not a wasted sound to his footsteps or a waving branch left behind as he gently pushed fern fronds out of his path and left them behind. Indeed there were moments where the drow actually lost sight of the old man for a minute or two, only to be surprised by a muffled cough from a branch in the tree next to him.

The morning went more or less precisely like that, and thankfully there wasn't any cause for them to halt or take evasive measures as such. The odd monkey screeched in the trees above them, and a couple of times Aidan spotted a tapir grunting and grumbling off some distance to the left or right, but nothing dreadful had come out at them. The crossing of the Dawn Way, an hour or so after their departure, was uneventful; whether luck or artifice served them, no hobgoblins seemed to be watching the crossroads of trail and road and they got west of the road without an incident.

The heat built higher and higher as the morning went on. Aidan was acutely conscious of the joint pain in particular; if this was indeed the surfacers' malaria, it was the kind of condition that could serve as quite the guardian against his brethren's occasional incursions. His damn arms were feeling like they were about to drop off as he moved.

The woodcutters' trail veered northwest, and a couple of hours later Aidan heard the burbling noise of water running. That would be Swift Creek again; if he remembered the map right, they were about halfway to the Keep now, and they'd be coming to...yes, there it was. The drow crouched on the branch of a low tree, surveying the scene. Below him, the trail opened a little, and about thirty feet ahead was the stream itself. Here the water was no sluggard swamp; the flow was fast and, according to what Jorr had told him, deep enough to drown in.

A single, massive tree trunk lay perpendicular across the creek, white like a bone with age, a good five feet wide at least. On the upper side, it had been planed flat. That, too, Jorr had mentioned as they slipped through the woods; the woodcutters had felled trees here and there in the woods to make small bridges for themselves so they didn't have to go all the way around to the Dawn Way's thicker bridges. It should be straightforward enough to cross, though big fellows like Vokon or Dobble the bear would have to be careful as they crossed. Well, then; part of the scouting was to see the stability of the path ahead, and--

A hand came on his shoulder.

Aidan didn't jump, of course; Jorr had made sure to scrape his foot against the trunk as he approached. The woodsman leaned close to the drow's face. He smelled of pipeweed and armpit. "Uh-uh," Jorr murmured, in a voice that was only meant to carry a foot or so. Aidan knew that voice; he'd used it many times himself. "Look." Jorr slowly raised his hand, a gloved finger pointing to the creek and the log.

Or, more specifically, to the trees on the other side of the river where the trunk lay, which were thick with twilight and green. Aidan understood the implication, and looked. For a long moment. He began to shift--
    "Left side of the trunk, that white tree with blood sap stains midway up." Jorr very slightly moved his finger to indicate, and he saw it.

It was small; maybe a foot high. Aidan's eyes were good, though, and now he could see it, peering from where it clung to the trunk with black eyes. It resembled a tiny elf, but clearly wasn't. That one could tell from the slender, deer-like horns atop its head, and the fact its dark green torso was hardened like a beetle's shell, split down the back with two membranous wings that were folded. Two tiny arms, which it was using to cling to the trunk, ended in wickedly long claws.
    "Ya ever heard of thornclaws?"

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature) DC 10
    Show
    The thornclaw was a rare kind of sprite. One of the smallest of the fey family, and found in the deepest, darkest jungles.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature) DC 15
    Show
    It certainly wasn't the kind of semi-friendly or playful sprite, though. Thornclaws were malevolent and delighted in torture and causing mayhem, not the harmless mischief commonly associated with their benign cousins. Very weak fighters individually, their usual method was to lure travellers into traps and then swarm and flay them, usually alive. That was because of their most well-known ability: the poison in their claws. It wasn't a very potent poison, but if the victim couldn't resist it, that being would become paralysed ... only for a few minutes, but those minutes literally made the difference between life and death.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature) DC 20
    Show
    As with most fey, thornclaws had a natural resistance to spells. And there was one other subtlety to their poison, something that wasn't terribly well-known: the poison increased in potency if more than one sting was suffered in a short period of time, making it harder for the body to combat it. (i.e. the Fort save for the poison increases depending how many times the victim gets hit in a single round.) As such, thornclaws tended to swarm one target at a time.

"Look a little to the right." Aidan did, and there it was: another three of them, crouched on a shaded branch higher up. It was hard not to see them now he spotted the first one. A total of four he could see, waiting in the trees across the river; a distance of a good ... well, from here, about ninety feet, being about 30 feet to the fallen tree, 30 feet across it, and then 30 feet to the trees where they were waiting. "There's another three on the next tree to them," murmured Jorr into his ear. "Seven I can see. Might not be the only ones, either. Never heard of them coming in more then a dozen at a time, but who knows. Think we're rumbled. They might not see us right here, but think they know something's coming up the path. Laid in waiting."

Spoiler: The Chronicler's Marginalia
    Show
    ShedShadow, mark off a signal arrow. That's a total of 2 from both this occasion and the encounter with the Bracken Corpse earlier.

So. Now what?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

After a brief moment's observation, Jorr nodded to Aidan and the two scouts slowly pulled back from their vantage point in the tree and came padding back down the trail to the rest of the circus. They quickly explained the situation. A plan was formed, and the group drew up in battle array, Jorr and Aidan moving to their flank to see if they could get any shots on the creatures from that distance out. Jorr had gone quiet, his remarks limited to grunts and single syllables. That was often the way before the bloodletting started, and this would likely be no different. The circus moved up, all but sensing that on the far side of the river, the enemy was likely preparing as well. The woodsman pointed out the seven he and the drow had seen from here with a gloved finger, jabbing it at spots in the distance. The time of blood was upon them...

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

Sorry about the gigantic map, but if I zoomed out a lot people just turn into pixels.

As a reminder, we're now into combat. In line with that, I have rolled initiative and the results for everyone came out as follows:

Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters
    Arendi, Aidan, Jorr, Diana, Vokon

There is no surprise round. In keeping with the group initiative rules, that means A.A.King has 48 hours to post up actions, then the monsters act, then the rest of the party gets its turn. As always, if that 48 hour deadline is not observed, Alastor drops into the second group and the monsters act. Over to you guys.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

"Alastor, can you set that bridge spell sideways? We might be able to cut half of them off from the rest.” asked the greywarden.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-04-07 at 05:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

Jorr squinted at Arendi. "Ye did notice they've got wings, didn't ye?"

Show
    Just saying. :)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

"...Oh right. Never mind.” said the greywarden.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So I accidentally edited my last post instead of posting a new one and I don’t remember how I worded it. Sorry.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I think we need some wings of our own then" Alastor said and he started casting a spell in a way not too dissimiliar from when he is announcing his next act.

Show
    Using a 2nd Level spell slot to cast Summon Nature's Ally. At the start of my next turn, a hippogriff will appear to help with our aerial disadvantage

Play-by-Post Characters:

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

Hearing Alastor begin his casting, the creatures flinched. They shifted to place their bodies behind the boles of trees and branches, but otherwise did not move. They stared evilly down the jungle path towards the circus. Jorr spat noisily into a bush. "Well, if they didn't know we w's here before, they sure as **** do now." He rolled his shoulders, raising his bow. "Let's get the **** on with it."

Show

Show

The thornclaws are taking advantage of the cover they have around them, but aren't moving. That means the AC to hit them rises by +4. Otherwise no other visible movement.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters

Everyone in the second group has 48 hours to post up actions, which are resolved in order of posting. Miss the deadline and you're on total defense. If you want Jorr to take a shot first, fine, one vote's enough.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

"I should have known better than to expect they'd make it easy for us." said Arendi. He took out a vial from his pack and downed it.

Show
    Arendi takes his dose of antitoxin, giving himself a +2+5 alchemical bonus against poison. Fort save is +10+13 against poison now.

Also since we've been expecting combat I'm assuming his sword was already out.

Edit: I have been informed that antitoxin is actually +5. Changed to show that.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-04-11 at 01:27 AM.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

"Loose some arrows!" Diana says in a harsh whisper. She sets down her pack but stays focused on the terrain ahead, awaiting a good chance to use her favorite weapon.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action to drop my pack, standard action to ready the 30-foot breath weapon attack if any little fey beastie comes into range. If necessary, she'll take a 5-foot-step as part of delivering the readied action. If the breath weapon is used, it'll be available again in round (d4+1)[4].

Longer-term, my intention is to get out my crossbow. If they refuse to come to us, hugging the trees will only help them so much against a missile barrage from our side. No mechanical effect right now, just saying for the record.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

Jorr didn't answer Diana's question. He simply flicked two arrows from his quiver, nocked them in two smooth, graceful motions, and loosed.

Nothing. The two arrows whistled into the trunks near two of the thornclaws but didn't catch either.

And the thornclaws still held their ground. If Jorr's arrows had rattled them at all it didn't show. They simply stayed in their positions.

Show

Show

That's the 48 hour limit. Aidan and Vokon are deemed to be on total defense this round.

Note that Aidan and Jorr are right on the point where range increments start to kick in even for longbows.

Jorr used Rapid Shot, which came up with totals of 11 and 18. (Range increments did not penalise that shot). Miss on both. This brings us back to Alastor, whose summoned creature appears on his initiative count.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters

A.A.King has 48 hours to post actions, following which I'll move to update.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Allow me to introduce our flying circus member, the Hippogriff" as Alastor finishes casting his spell, a hippogriff appears in the sky in front of him

"At this point we can do little but charge ahead, or else we'll be at a stalemate" Alastor drew his whip and spurred Pogo towards the fallen tree while Dobble followed them. In the mean time, the Hippogriff soarded through the sky starting a direct assault at the Thornclaws

Show
    The Hippogriff is summoned to square X17, 35 feet in front of Alastor. in the air He then does a flying charge attack at thornclaw 7 (with a fly speed of a 100 ft. that should be no problem to reach G18)

Charging Claw: (1d20+6)[13]
    Claw Damage: (1d4+4)[6]

In the meantime Alastor uses a move action to draw his whip while Pogo takes a double move action to get them to T19 while dobble stops at T18

Round 1 of 5 that the Hippgriff is in play

Play-by-Post Characters:

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

“Ah, gods,” muttered Jorr. The horror in his voice was unmistakeable.

The hippogriff’s strike went wide, the little thornclaw dodging the great animal’s strike. Even from this distance they caught a glimpse of bared teeth in a smile.

The woods filled with the noise of insectile wings. The thornclaws swarmed the hippogriff from all directions. Not only the seven they’d seen … but five more, exploding from previously-unnoticed positions on that side of the creek, now revealing themselves to be a full twelve.

The hippogriff snarled in annoyance. The thornclaws’ spiked hands dived into its body, drawing twelve little different points of blood. None of them were enough to cause real harm, but the creature was now bleeding from ten or more different wounds. It roared its frustration--

And then the thornclaws’ poison hit, injected from a near dozen different sites, the foulness surging through … and overwhelming the hippogriff’s powerful physiology.

Its roar cut off. Its limbs stiffened. Its wings stopped beating. It crashed ten feet to the jungle floor with a sickening thud.

Show

Show
    The hippogriff takes 12 points of damage from the thornclaws’ attacks (bearing in mind some got full attacks in there) and 3 from the fall, for a total of 15 points of damage. It’s now prone. However, it is also paralysed for 4 minutes, i.e. it’s pretty much over and done for the period of his summoning. Thornclaws have an initial DC on the poison which is pretty low, but the DC is raised by 1 for each hit from a thornclaw in the same round. At the end of that round, a single Fort DC check is made. In this case, that Fort DC was 23. The hippogriff, in keeping with the hatred of the dice gods for your party, rolled a 22.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters

Danielx, ShedShadow, Dimers, and Aracor all have 48 hours from the time of this post to get their responses in. Jorr will take another Rapid Shot from where he is unless told otherwise.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi snarled an Infernal curse word and cast a spell on himself, then pushed Vokon aside to get closer to the ringmaster.

Show
    I cast Longstrider on myself, then move to (X, 18).

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground

Great job, Alastor! You've gotten them to break cover! I'm less sure about your tactic of placing yourself up front as BAIT!

Get them!
    Vokon exhorts his allies with more effective ranged attacks to soften them up as much as possible before they close.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action: Activates White Raven Tactics on an archer before he moves up and joins everyone who doesn't fight as well in ranged combat just this side of the river. Preferably Aidan if he acts, but Jorr is fine, too.

Double move to J17 to join Dobble.

Then, he uses Arendi's shove to simply move up with him, settling himself next to Dobble so he can punish the first who tries to claw either of them with his hammer.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-04-12 at 01:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Chatty watches the strange plant-fey descend on the hippogriff en masse, and checks her initial thoughts of simply runing into their midst. Instead, she darts forward, briefly passing through the Underworld before emerging on the other side of the water, standing alongside Vokon. Claws and teeth exposed and ready.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Assuming that Chatty was back with the group at the bottom of the map, she'll use a swift action to enter Island of Blades stance (she and an ally flank any enemy if we're both adjacent to that enemy).
    Move action: move forward.
    Standard action: Shadow Jaunt to teleport to K18.

She's pretty much in hybrid form whenever she's awake, not in a town, and not explicitly stepping into a different form.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    'Chatty' (Podgana Shtur)
    Female LN Whisper Gnome (Natural Wererat) Swordsage (Unarmed Variant), Level 1 RHD / 4 levels, Init 11, HP 36/31, DR 10/silver, Speed 30
    AC 25, Touch 22, Flat-footed 17, Fort 5, Ref 14, Will 9, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Animal Form: Bite Attack +15 (1d4+3, x2)
    Human Form: Unarmed Strikes +13 or +11/+11 (1d6+3, x2)
    Assumes Island of Blades stance Hybrid: Flurry of Blows plus Claw/Claw/Bite +14/+14/+14/+14/+13 (1d6+11x2/1d3+10x2/1d4+10, x2)
    Mage Armour (+8 Dex, +1 Size, +3 Natural, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 26, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 6
    Condition None
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-04-12 at 11:58 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

As the sudden burst of activity begins, Diana dropped her pack's drawstrings, said "**** the crossbow," and dashed for the stream.

Spoiler: what I wouldn't give for a fireball spell right now
    Show
    Looks like I can make it to Q16 with a double-move. This is probably a bad idea; it's tempting fate to have a couple thornclaws charge me, paralyze me and drop me in the river to drown. But why start making sense now, amirite?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2021-04-12 at 04:14 PM. Reason: past tense, durnitall
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Aidan Blackbow (Adinae - Forgotten whisper)
    Male LE Drow (Dark Elf) Ranger, Level 5, Init 5, HP 28/28, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 9, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Throwing axe x2 + 10 (1d6 +1, x2)
    Short Sword +7 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Mithril chain shirt, Heavy wooden Shield (not equipped) (+4 Armor, +5 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
    Condition None

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Using Vokon's white raven tactics for an additional full round.

I'll 5 ft step north then loose 2 arrows at the closest enemy. The first arrow is a thunderstone arrow.
    Arrow 1 (1d20+9)[14] for (1d8+3)[9] (10ft radius, DC 15 fort or deaf 1 hour)
    Arrow 2 (1d20+9)[27] for (1d8+3)[5]
    In the bonus round from white raven, I'll just fire 2 arrows.
    Arrow 3 (1d20+9)[27] for (1d8+3)[4]
    Arrow 4 (1d20+9)[21] for (1d8+3)[8]

Aidan had stood still for a few seconds, observing the plants. He had figured there would be more, and cautiously waited before tightening the string. As the hippogriff flew in and everybody rushed into action, Vokon thundered next to him "Get them!". That was all the encouragement he needed. "I never liked plants. Least of all bloody walking ones." He grabbed the yellow feathered arrow, and then let his arrows fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

As the circus surged forward, Aidan slipped two arrows from his quiver. The first, the thunderstone arrow, went whistling away into the scrub. There was a faint, ineffectual thump a second or two after it disappeared.

The other arrow - and then two more arrows, flicked and fired under Vokon's powerful urging - were different calls. Three shots; three thornclaws impaled, and thunked into the trunks of the nearby trees.

"What the **** s'that brass-headed bugger doing?" growled Jorr as he raised his own bow, stepping out onto the path. Diana had scrambled up onto the log and starting making her way across. There wasn't time to think about it. The bowstring touched Jorr's cheek once; twice. Two arrows streaked through the air. One smashed through a thornclaw's head with a little, almost-comical, red pop; the other smashed off another's lower body, sending it wheeling to the ground.

Show

Show

Five thornclaws down.

Diana makes her Balance check to cross the log.

That brings us back to Alastor.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters

As always - A.A.King has 48 hours to post up, and I'll update from there.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"They are too far away, we need to get them closer" Alastor said and he started casting another spell before anotger Hippogriff appeares at the other side, glaring at the Thornclaws. "THE CIRCUS ALWAYS FINDS NEW TALENT!!'

Show
    Using a first level spell slot to cast Silent Image, creating the illusion of another hipppgriff (about were chatty stood on the other sise of the river). They have seen me do it before, no reason to assume I am lying the second time, right?

Play-by-Post Characters:

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

Alastor's spell whirled a silent facsimile of a hippogriff into existence. Three of the thornclaws screeched their rage as they came buzzing in towards it, lashing at it with claws that never found their target.

The four remaining thornclaws swept straight through the illusion, arrowing in on Diana's gleaming form, perching precariously on the wooden log above the stream. Three of the blows clacked off Diana's armour and scales. The fourth found a join between plates, and the black stinger slid in between them. Diana caught a glimpse of the creature's eyes: black, lidless, pupils wide and dancing with red motes.

The poison hit Diana's bloodstream ... and was effortlessly burned away by the radiance of her dragon's blood.

And then her gift, the gift of the Brass Dragon, made its counterstroke.

The thornclaw exploded into a ball of flame, although given its diminutive stature, all she heard was an unimpressive thup and a flash of fire.

Show

Show

Diana pulled a natural 20 on the Fort check. Takes 1 hitpoint of damage.

And I guess thornclaws haven't heard about the retributive strike quality of a brass dragon's fire aura.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters
    Arendi, Aidan, Jorr, Diana, Vokon (and Chatty!)

48 hours for the second group to chime in. Jorr will just shoot as he previously did.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The greywarden moved quickly to aid the dragonborn, with shield up and a cold snarl. Reason snapped out in a crushing arc at the nearest fey.

Show
    I'm pretty sure I can get to (R, 17) with a move action and that it's adjacent to Diana? And, well, on the bridge.

Balance roll: (1d20-3)[6] Please let this work please let this work... Assuming it does... I use Mountain Hammer on the thornclaw in (Q, 17).

Attack roll: (1d20+8)[16]
    Critical confirmation roll(if necessary): (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage roll: (1d10+5)[6]
    Critical damage roll(if necessary): (1d10+5)[9]
    Mountain Hammer bonus damage: (2d6)[5] Ignores DR and hardness, but I doubt low-level fey have much of that anyways.

Also if I stay on the bridge, I'll be using my immediate actions to give a +5 bonus to AC against the next attack on anyone I'm next to with Shield Block(probably Diana but who knows), and the thornclaws also have a -4 penalty against attacks to anyone adjacent to me due to Iron Guard's Glare.

If it don't... well, uh. I dunno. Swim check to not drown? (1d20-7)[1]
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-04-15 at 09:17 AM.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was hoping not to face them on the bridge! Diana, can you fall back a little bit? It's clear at this point they're coming to us!

Vokon will move up to the shore and claw one of his hammers out of his bandoleer, then hurl at one of the little menaces that's threatening Diana.

Show

Vokon will move up to S15 and draw one of his smaller hammers.

Attack the thornclaw at P15 with a ranged attack. Since he doesn't have Point Blank Shot or Precise Shot, this will not be an easy throw. At least it won't have cover from this angle to make it even worse.
    (1d20+2)[11] Attack roll
    (1d6+6)[12] damage

(1d20+2)[7] Critical Confirmation
    (1d6+6)[10] Critical damage

I don't think Leading the Charge will make any difference here, so I'll not bother switching stances.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Chatty

As the group surges forward to fight on the bridge, the little wererat scampers forward. Diving between Diana's legs, she comes up on her other side. Her small feet adjust quickly to the surface of the log - after months on the wire, this is fairly familiar territory for Chatty.

She glances up at the strange plant/bug/fairies circling them. Rather than trying to get fancy, she simply completes her transition into a fight-ready pose and punches one in the...was that an eye?

Show
    This makes a couple of assumptions:
    • Diana DOESN'T immediately fall back as Vokon has requested.
    • There's enogh bridge in P16 (Q15 could work too) for a little pair of clawed feet to find purchase.

If either of these assumptions turn out not to be true, I'll amend Chatty's action as quickly as possible.

Balance check for fighting on the log: (1d20+10)[14]

With her Island of Blades stance, she and anyone else adjacent to the same opponent get +4 to attack that opponent (or opponents) from flanking.

Move action: Move to P16, tumbling the last 5' to avoid AoO's. She has a +18 modifier, so I think makes the DC 15, 17 and 19 checks to do so.
    Standard action: Unarmed strike against the Thornclaw at P17 (or a different one if that one's already been taken out:
    Attack: (1d20+16)[25] +4 for flanking with Diana, I think
    Damage: (1d6+11)[13]

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

Diana wasn't alone for long. The circus swarmed onto the log bridge, Arendi leading. The greywarden's blade sliced out in one efficient arc. Reason cut one of the thornclaws in two so cleanly and efficiently its wings fluttered a moment more before it fell. Vokon's hammer went whistling past another of the thornclaws. Chatty bounded up in its wake, leaping to grip on the rugged wood with thick footclaws. Her clawed hand flicked out, once, and impaled another of the thornclaws on it. The last thornclaw next to Diana didn't have much of a chance to realise it was alone; Diana heard a low vvvvvvt before one of Jorr's shafts flicked past her ear and blasted another of the thornclaws out of the world. For these few seconds, the circus was out of enemies to fight on the log, with only three of the thornclaws left, still blithely swinging at the phantom hippogriff.

Show

Show
    This brings us back to Alastor. 48 hours to post up.

Initiative Order:
    Alastor/Dobble
    Monsters
    Arendi, Aidan, Jorr, Diana, Vokon, Chatty

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Midst of the Jungle,

The remaining thornclaws finally got a look at what had happened to all of their brethren. As one, with tiny squeals of fear, they broke away from the image of the hippogriff and buzzed away into the jungle. In seconds, the river crossing was quiet but for the growl of the current in Swift Creek.

It was as Alastor turned towards the summoned hippogriff, as it winked out of existence, that he saw it: near one of the bodies of the thornclaws, at the base of a tree on that side of the river, gold gleamed from a broken pouch.

Show
    That's 150 XP each for you, guys.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that certainly went better than our last fight." said the greywarden, stepping off the bridge. He wiped off Reason with the nearby leaves.

Extended sig here.