New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

Mid-afternoon, on the road outside Drellin’s Ferry
    Cannath Vale,
    (South of the Shaar, East of the Wyrmbones)
    The Sixth of Mirtul, 1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

Though taken by surprise, the adventurers responded quickly - those that could. Vokon cracked the tanglefoot goo apart as though it were paper, but started running down the line of the road cut. Diana and Aerilaya went for the trees, Aidan tried another couple of unsuccessful shots. Diana opened her mouth and breathed - fire, that roared through the branches, albeit not fiercely enough to set the leaves aflame, but enough to scorch two of the hobgoblins, who shrieked in pain. The fire was quickly followed by Alastor lobbing a flask of alchemist's fire at one of the hobgoblins, who screamed in pain and seemed about to drop from the tree but -- surprisingly -- held his position.

Then it started to go wrong.

Two of the four hobgoblins who had closed their eyes for a brief moment now opened them and raised their bows. Even from that range, Aidan could see there was something unnaturally precise and seeking about their gazes. And then he noticed red dots appear on his form, and began to turn, looking for--

--two clothyard shafts slammed into him, nicking an artery. The pain of the blows blasted him into darkness.

A third of the hobgoblins turned its bow on Dobble, just then climbing a tree for the last one that had closed its eyes. Again the precise and seeking look. Again the red dot appeared, and a hobgoblin arrow whistled through the air and crashed into the bear's side, bringing an awful roar from the bear. The hobgoblin it was just below took the opportunity to drop its bow, hurriedly pull a short sword from its sheath, and swing at Dobble from the branch, missing the bear from his awkward position by some distance.

The fourth hobgoblin that had closed its eyes turned its bow on Diana, and again the shot sang out. It struck, but the dragonborn's thick skin was made of sterner stuff: the shot penetrated, but did nowhere near as much injury to her.

Aerilaya didn't have much time to process this. She had sprung into the treeline, and the wisdom of that move proved sufficient as two more arrows from the snipers in the trees whistled past her but did no harm.

Still, she had company.

There was motion from beyond the trees, and two four-legged shapes came bounding from around the corner of the abandoned farmhouse. Her first instinct was to categorise them as wolves of some kind, but as they came loping in at her (they snarled and roared, but she could not hear them) she realised these were no wolves that had ever walked the Realms. They were fire-eyed creatures, black, the smell of brimstone wafting from them ... hell hounds, yes, of the kind she'd read about and heard stories about. But different again: they did not so much have fur as scales, for some odd reason, and there was something lizardlike about them.

She didn't have time to contemplate it. Instinct kicked in, and she effortlessly slid the first, snapping set of jaws that tried to latch onto her arm. And then, from the second, she was bathed in fire.
    The second hell hound had breathed on her. But the flames that should have burned her black simply washed over her with no more heat in them than a pleasant early summer's day. It seemed there was indeed some truth to Diana's assurances that they'd never have to fear fire so long as the dragonborn was close by.

The hell hound certainly looked surprised by this development, and its hesitation gave Aerilaya a moment to glance past the hell hounds, south.
    To their seeming master.
    There was another hobgoblin casually walking towards her. Bigger; more muscular than the others. It held two swords lazily by its sides. It clashed them together with a bell-like clang that Aerilaya couldn't hear, and then raised one to point at her with a fierce, evil grin. There were no words necessary; it was challenging her.

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show
    Why yes there is something strange going on here, what made you think that?

Let's get to the important stuff first, i.e. who has the most red juice coming out of them right now.

- Aidan is at -4/28, i.e. he is down and dying. He'll succumb at -10 like all mortal beings if someone doesn't get to him and stabilise him.
    - Dobble isn't in much better shape: 12/31. Didn't get an AoO there because the hobgoblin has at least partial cover from him.
    - Hobgoblin 2 is at 4/13, Hobgoblin 3 is at 8/13. (In passing, I can add "status bars" to tokens on the map to give an idea of how snotted certain NPCs are, that might make it easier to absorb than me reciting numbers out here.)
    - Diana is at 54/66.
    - Everyone else is unharmed. Combination of misses and the fact Diana's aura protects Aerilaya against fire damage.

Now, as for the very likely 'how in the Nine Hells did four hobgoblins all roll and confirm critical hits in the same round?' question - well, there is an explanation, and it's not because they're all spellcasters. It's another element of the adventure I'm adding in, one of my ... longstanding interests in one element of the Forgotten Realms in particular. Let me offer a little reassurance that it is not necessarily the case that they'll be hitting you with critical hits each round, notice that there were a bunch of misses in there from those who didn't take a standard action or so ahead of the shots.

Lots of questions, I'm sure, but I'd worry about living through this first.

Group initiative:

First: Aidan, Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon, Diana
    Second: Hobgoblins
    Third: Arendi

danielxcutter has 48 hours to post up. Once he does, I'll resolve the outcome of whatever he does, and then, 48 hours to post from my adjudication. And on we go.

Reminder about terrain: any movement from a brown square to a green square costs double movement, i.e. 5 feet of movement rather than 10 (or 15 rather than 7.5 if moving diagonally) to reflect the awkwardness of getting up the slope, though there's no penalty or benefit when you go from green to brown. You can't charge or run if your movement has to pass through both brown and green squares.

- A red circle indicates a characters is stuck in place and entangled, having failed the saves on tanglefoot bags thrown at them. Characters are stuck in place until they make STR checks or do enough damage to themselves to free themselves, but even if they do, they move at half speed and they're entangled, i.e. -2 to attack rolls and -4 to DEX. Note also that it takes Concentration checks to cast as well. Vokon is not stuck in place, but he's still suffering from the panicked condition - it didn't take a full round action to free himself.
    - A yellow triangle means that character is deafened. The changes in initiative are meaningless here, but that character obviously can't hear anything for an hour and there's a 20% spell failure chance for any spell with a verbal component.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

This was not a good day for Arendi.

Being ambushed was already bad. Getting glued to the ground and deafened was even worse.

But seeing one of his allies fall, after a chill ran down his spine and he turned around, was even worse - and of all his companions, it was Aiden, the only one of them without a religion.

I don't know if you're a decent man, Aiden... thought the death priest internally - or said out loud, he could hardly tell at this point - as he hurried towards the drow, weaving through the line of pack animals.

There wasn't time for proper healing just yet... but fortunately, Arendi had a spell prepared that just might work, if only he could get the words right.

...But by my lord's blade, I won't let you be damned like this!

He said a few words as soon as he was close enough to invoke the Lord of Death's power - ironically, to keep an ally alive.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I use both move actions to move to (-A, -3), and I use my immediate action to cast Close Wounds!

Making my spell failure check; if I get a 1 on 1d5 that counts as blowing the 20% chance due to deafness.

(1d5)[3]

If successful, I heal 1d4+4 points of damage:

(1d4+4)[6]
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vokon continues running down the road, as he's still panicked. Since his movement is restricted, he can't actually take the Run action. So he'll move 40' southeast along the road, which I believe puts him off the edge of the map.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-01-02 at 02:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Human Paragon (3) / Swordsage (2)
    Player: Deadguy

Aerilaya exhaled a plume of smoke, mixing in with the smoke already enveloping her body. She seemed completely unimpressed by the noiseless challenge. A quick glance to the left and right at the hounds as the muscles in her legs tensed and her hand reached for the sword hanging at her waist

”Ok then. Let's start."

Just like that. She was gone. There were several seconds that passed before she reappeared behind the muscular hobgoblin. Her sword remained in the scabbard.

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show

Swift: Cloak of Deception (greater invisibility)

Move: Move to L, -1

Standard: Mountain Hammer vs flat-footed (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[11] + (2d6)[7] (ignore dr / hardness)

Iaijutsu Focus check - (1d20+15)[23]
    Damage - (2d6)[3] + (1d6)[3] + (1d6)[4] + (1d6)[6] + (1d6)[5]

Active Effects
    Smoking (20% miss chance)
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2021-01-02 at 03:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

Arendi's desperate sprint, in full armour down the line of the road cut, paid off. Kelemvor answered his prayer and Aidan gave a sudden, shuddering gasp, back into consciousness...

Show

Show

- Arendi gets next to Aidan and brings him back to 2/28 hitpoints. Aidan is awake, but he's also prone on the ground.
    - Aerilaya actually took 4 hitpoints of damage from the Hell Hound's breath, after Reflex saves were factored in. That brings her to 29/33. And the next problem being that this stuff is ... sticking to her, like napalm. That is, next round she'll suffer another 2 hitpoints of damage.

Group initiative:

That now leaves 48 hours for Aidan, Alastor, and Diana to post up actions. I will take Vokon and Aerilaya's actions as having been posted in this 48 hour period, but that 48 hours stands as from now.

I should also add I'm going to be out of town where internet access is spotty for the next week, so don't expect an update before those 48 hours have passed I think. If there's further problems I will be in touch.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Dottle, mad bear that she is, starts mauling the hobgoblin that had attempted to stab her with his sword

In the mean time, Alastor is shouting things across the battle field, to the hobgoblings and his companions. "You won't get to see the circus if you down all the acts!." "You're running the wrong way!" "Get up!". He's clearly getting quite annoyed at this whole 'ambush' thing, this was not part of his grand plan.

He spots a hobgoblin in the trees that so far hasn't been attacked yet and shouts "That one!" to Pogo and as he does a dark bridge appears between them and the tree he is hiding in. "SIC 'EM!" and they start running up the bridge that appeared at the coward hiding in the tree.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dottle full attacks Hobgoblin 7
    Claw 1 Attack: (1d20+8)[17]
    Claw 1 Damage: (1d4+5)[6]

Claw 2 Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Claw 2 Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Bite Attack: (1d20+3)[4]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[8]

Alastor casts "Dark Way" as a standard action and as a move action tells Pogo to attack Hobgoblin 1. (Using one of my two 2nd level spells per day)

Pogo EITHER uses a move action to move to (D, -6) and attacks as a standard action OR charges if he is allowed to charge across the Dark Way (might be to steep for a charge, not sure what the rules are regarding that). Either way, if he hits his bite he'll go for a free trip attempt and hoping that being tripped while in a tree means you fall down
    Bite Attack: (1d20+5)[13] (add +2 if charging is allowed)
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+2)[10] (only if the bite hits).
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2021-01-04 at 05:15 AM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Aidan Blackbow (Adinae - Forgotten whisper)
    Male LE Drow (Dark Elf) Ranger, Level 5, Init 5, HP 28/28, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 9, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Throwing axe x2 + 10 (1d6 +1, x2)
    Short Sword +7 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Mithril chain shirt, Heavy wooden Shield (not equipped) (+4 Armor, +5 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
    Condition None

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stand up using a move action
    Standard action to use 3 charges on my healing belt: (4d8)[21] as healing
    "Duuh ... Whuy..." Groggily, Aidan sits up, instantly recognizes the shouting, the sound of bowstrings twanging, the roar of enemies, the weighing of panicked animals, but mostly he recognizes he is in a lot of pain. Right. He gets up, clutching his bow, then figures he ought to do something about the pain. He mumbles something that sounds like "Belt, oh, belt, please heal my welt", but that would be far too silly to say at such a serious time, so anyone who might have heard that was obviously mistaken. Instantly the pain eases and Aidan keeps an eye out for incoming arrows, readying his bow and picking his mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Momentarily ignoring the pain from the arrow, Diana moves to fight fire with frost, blasting at one of the hellhounds with a scintillating line of sheer cold.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    I've been debating what to do. A double hit seems like the best option again; maybe it'll attract more attention onto me. Move from (E, -5) to (G, -3) and breathe on hound1 and the bladebearer. (3d8)[16] cold damage, Reflex save DC 18 for half.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

The combat intensified.

Alastor charged Pogo up the gleaming black ramp he had created, but the riding dog's swing on the hobgoblin caught only air. The hobgoblin, though, pulled a short sword, dropping his bow, and swung hard at Alastor himself, his reach unexpectedly good ... and caught the circusmaster a heavy cut across the temple, drawing blood.

Aerilaya called on the training and the power such as she'd been given, acting on instinct, the battlefield silent except for the smell of fear and fire. For a flickering moment, she was invisible, and darted around behind the hobgoblin with two swords, the great sword murmuring its pleasure silently in her mind as it slashed out and cut the hobgoblin a good one across his back. The bladebearing hobgoblin staggered, turning with a venomous look on its face.

Dottle lashed and caught the hobgoblin above a good one, drawing harsh cry of pain - but the hobgoblin still held its ground.

A blast of cold air filled the area north of the ruined farmhouse, and with a dying howl, one of the hellhounds fell, blistered cold and dying instantly from Diana's breath. The edges of the blast also caught the twin-bladed hobgoblin, again drawing a grimace of pain from him. The other hell hound bounded away, sweeping around behind Aerilaya, snapping its jaws ineffectually at the quick woman.

Arrows arced in at Diana. Even in the foliage as she was, two of them cracked home, drawing more blood from her. Another arrow thunked in at Dobble, drawing another roar of pain from the bear as it fought on.

Aidan shook his head as he got to his feet, touching his Healing Belt, the terrible wounds closing immediately. That was when he noticed it - as did Diana and mostly everyone else - on a promontory above the road cut, off to the south. The air rippled, and another hobgoblin appeared. This one, though, was clad in a combination of armour and robes, and some indistinct marking was daubed on the robes. The hobgoblin peered at Aerilaya, and a wolfish grin came across the monster's face.
    "Silly hu-man girl likes to play with swords! it grated, and raised its eyes to the heavens for a moment, then pointed fatefully at Aerilaya.

The one-eyed girl didn't notice this, mainly because she was already watching the twin-sworded hobgoblin's every move. All she did notice was that her one remaining eye now went dark as well. She was blinded.

A little down the road cut, Vokon was still running, the panic possessing him fully. So he was completely surprised when three more hobgoblins came screaming out of the woods east of the road cut, swinging short swords at him. Two of them connected and cut in deeply ... but the last shards of the grasping goo's contents also fell away, and he could feel the panic dissolving from him.

Show

Show

- Aidan is standing and is back at full health.
    - Aerilaya is now blinded as well as deafened.
    - Vokon takes total of 15 damage from the new entries. However, I am also ruling that this does sufficient damage to crack the tanglefoot bag goo enough that he's no longer entangled, and thus shouldn't be suffering from the panicked condition.
    - Diana takes total of 12 damage.
    - Dobble takes 3 damage. Puts him at 9/31 by my count.
    - Alastor takes 9 damage.

Group initiative:

48 hours for Arendi to post up actions.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi sighed, though not being able to hear it somewhat dampened the effect.

Lord Kelemvor, why?

Of course, griping wouldn't change anything. He moved closer to the right group of archers while drawing a tanglepatch from his magical backpack, and flicked it into one of the trees.

Show
    Arendi uses his move action to go to square (B,0) while drawing his Tanglepatch out of his Handy Haversack, and throws it into the tree Hobgoblin 5 is in. It doesn't seem there's an attack roll required, since it's tagging an area and not a specific target.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Condition None

Show
    Standard action to use my amber amulet of vermin (Giant Stag Beetle) which will appear in G2-H3 (Large creature). The beetle immediately attacks the cleric with its bite attack.

Bite the hobgoblin cleric (1d20+10)[29] for (4d6+9)[19]

Then I use my move action to close on the trees at -A,-7, hopefully getting some cover.
    Now thinking clearly again, Aidan felt it was time to call forth the beast he kept hidden away in shows, and indeed, most of all the other times. Some of the people in the troupe had never seen it before. The only thing was, all the enemies were in trees, and this beast was most effective when enemies were close together. Still, an ally is an ally. Now where to put it? And then, suddenly, it just seemed that a target had presented itself, flashy robes and boasting and all. "Let's see how you like a beetle with your afternoon delight." Aidan closed his eyes, touching the drop of amber hanging around his neck and speaking the dark language of the underelves. With a crack and a flash, a beetle the size of a bear appeared in the middle of the road, its mandibles clicking, immediately attempting to bite down on whatever moved and was the closest. Aidan smiled, and made a run for the western trees, hoping to at least be able to find cover from the arrows coming from the west side of the road.
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-01-07 at 02:02 PM.
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

Desperate times called for desperate measures. Arendi ran down the line of the road cut again, and this time hurled the small tanglepatch he'd been hanging onto.

The item burst open against the tree it had been aimed at, and immediately the powers crafted in the bag took flight. The woods all around the tree exploded into activity. The entire east side of the road cut erupted into sudden, incredible growth. Grass lengthened to branch length, and began to twist and form runners; branches lengthened and twined; every leaf thickened and burst into ten more. Even in the dusty, dying area of the road cut, seeds blown to the dust to a dry fate suddenly erupted with new life. The growth was so rapid that even Arendi was caught within the burst of the effect, but his god's favour was still with him, and he was not entangled or affected by the sudden bloom of life.

Neither, surprisingly, were any of the hobgoblins, or Dobble, also caught in the roar of plant life. They agilely managed to avoid getting caught, but on the other hand neither was Dobble suddenly entangled either.

Show

Show
    As said, the hobgoblins each make their saves, as does Dobble. Not entangled, but they have a chance of getting entangled again every round for a good minute or so. It is a forty-foot radius effect. Most notably, Vokon's hammer is also within the radius of the effect if he wants to get armed with it (albeit he may not have to.) The green circle sets out the radius of the effect - I don't have any overlays that better describe what happened, but hopefully this helps tell people where things are.

And yes, generally it's preferred to await the update so I can keep the rounds straight, but I'll take Aidan's action as going first in this round.

Group initiative:

48 hours for Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon, and Diana to post up.

13. - Top - End - #43

Vokon's mind clears. His primary weapon is behind him, and yet he has three targets in front of him. They were kind enough to rip apart that binding tendrils of the tanglefoot bag, but they were also attacking him.

He calls out to his allies, giving advice for how to hit hard and fast, then draws one of the light hammers in his bandoleer, and swings at the first.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Vokon will switch stances to Leading the Charge. Any ally within 60 feet of him will get a +5 bonus damage on any charge attack they make.
    He draws his hammer as a move action, and attacks the Hobgoblin at N6.
    "Attack" - (1d20+10)[15]
    "Critical confirmation" - (1d20+10)[27]

"Damage" - (1d6+5)[6]
    "Critical damage" - (1d6+5)[8]

As pointed damage, damage is +1 if that strike actually hit. Probably doesn't matter much, but we'll see.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-01-11 at 05:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Dottle keeps trying to rip the closest hobgoblin to shreads, while Alastor draws his whip and Pogo keeps biting the hobgoblin she had charged across the dark way.

Show
    Dottle full attacks Hobgoblin 7
    Claw 1 Attack: ](1d20+8)[14]
    Claw 1 Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Claw 2 Attack: (1d20+8)[13]

Bite Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[4]

Alastor uses a move action to draw his whip so that next turn he can try and switch some things around with the eternal wand of benign transposition that is in it

Pogo attacks as a standard action and if he hits his bite he'll go for a free trip attempt and hoping that being tripped while in a tree means you fall down
    Bite Attack: (1d20+5)[13]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[9]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+2)[12] (only if the bite hits).

Play-by-Post Characters:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Aerilaya didn't panic when her whole world went dark. It was troubling that the cleric was able to hide from her so well, but that would have to be addressed later. Having lost two of her senses, she form shifted to a more feral stance.

She sniffed the air lightly. Her opponents hadn't repositioned. That was a mistake. She realigned herself slightly to place her back against the wall of the old farmhouse before striking out again at the sword-wielding hobgoblin with a lightning fast draw of the blade. It seemed to return to the sheath before ever even completing the cut.

Show

Swift: Change stance to Hunter's Sense (scent)

Free: 5 foot step to K, -2

Standard: Sapphire Nightmare Blade
    Concentration vs AC (1d20+9)[21]
    Attack vs Flat-footed (1d20+8)[20]

Miss Chance (50% - high miss) (1d100)[44] / (1d100)[44]
    Blind-fight reroll (1d100)[96]

Damage - (1d10+4)[10] + (1d6)[5]

Iaijutsu Focus check - (1d20+15)[29]
    Damage - (2d6)[7] + (1d6)[4] + (1d6)[2] + (1d6)[1] + (1d6)[3]

Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2021-01-11 at 02:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

A giant beetle appeared in the midst of the road cut, much to the surprise of those members of Alastor's circus who hadn't seen the creature before. It appeared, as it happened, right next to the robed hobgoblin. Before the hobgoblin had a chance to turn, the creature had smashed a cruel-looking beetle antler into the caster's side, drawing a shriek of pain from the robed one. But the caster didn't fall. It put a fist against its ruined side, and shrieked out: "You will pay, scum! The Kulkor Zhul will feed your bodies to the vultures!"

Spoiler: Diana
    Show
    Wait - Kulkor Zhul? That was no hobgoblin word, that was from Draconic - it meant people of the dragon...

The cry brought an answering howl of bloodlust from the hobgoblins around them. And for those brief seconds it seemed to make them a lot harder to hit; Alastor and his animals caught nothing but air, and mighty Vokon's massive swing didn't hit any of the three hobgoblins up against him. Worse still, they seemed to be more effective than the average hobgoblin: they had steel shields, but were working them together, forming a short but strong shield wall among them...

Alastor caught another strike from the hobgoblin in the tree with him, though, his blood pouring over his saddle. The pain was immense.

Aerilaya didn't hear any of this, of course; she was too busy trying to stay alive. Instinct and long training wheeled her in against the house, and she hit stance the second her rear heel touched against stone, the long blade flashing like lightning in a storm in one cut, O-Sendaiyo-shin-kyo, the Sapphire Nightmare cut. Her muscles assured her of the movement and she had some satisfaction as she felt the blade slam into the hobgoblin's bowels, as she'd been taught. She didn't hear the hobgoblin's shriek of pain, but somehow felt him moving to flank her along with the accursed hell hound from the other side.

Also not anticipated was the little chuckle she felt inside her head. A peculiar little chuckle. Not human, not hobgoblin. More ... metallic, somehow. Mocking. And for a fleeting, half-second, she had a feeling it was originating from her sword hand. Then it was gone. She moved again, on instinct; Ko-senshi, the Shield of Grass Blade, and the big sword did its work. She couldn't hear the ring of steel on steel, but felt the impact of the hobgoblin's weapon against her own ... and then a red flash of pain as she missed the other short sword and it slashed in at her side. Not fatal; not helpful either. She could continue the fight, though unless the others did something there was only so much even someone trained to fight blinded and deafened could do...

The air was filling with arrows, but at least the hobgoblins' aim didn't appear to be up to scratch right at this moment; none found their marks on either Dobble or indeed on Diana. And despite forming up in a steel cordon around Vokon, none of the cruel, stabbing movements of the three hobgoblins found their target, a combination of the big goliath's sudden, instinctive dodges and effortless blocks with the comically small hammer in his hand.

Still, the two hobgoblins closest to Diana - she noticed - didn't actually loose any shafts. They did something similar to what four of the others had - they seemed to grip parts of their bows for a moment, and closed their eyes, swaying on their perches...

The robed hobgoblin was backing away from the giant beetle. Costly; the beetle once more lashed with its horns and a massive, pouring wound appeared in the hobgoblin's side. But the caster still managed to stagger back from the road cut, towards Diana. The hobgoblin's eyes widened as it finally got a solid look at Diana. "Hated one! Servant of the hated one!" the creature screamed, but abruptly closed its eyes and looked again to the heavens ... and the air shimmered ever so slightly around all the hobgoblins on the west side of the road cut. She hadn't healed their wounds, but they looked to be somehow ... a little more vital in some way.

Show

Show

So the summary:
    - Aerilaya takes 8 damage from one strike that still got through of the full attack rained on her, and another 2 from the clinging, napalm-ish breath of the hell hound from the previous round, though that's all there. (The bit about the chuckling is nothing from the enemy - it may just be related to that cursed sword you are carrying around, you can build off it if you like.)
    - Alastor takes another 5 damage. That brings him down to 23/37 by my count.
    - Amazingly, Dobble isn't dead. Not one arrow has hit yet.
    - Vokon takes no hits, though he'd recognise the hobgoblins' techniques as Phalanx Fighting, i.e. extra AC when they're adjacent and all holding shields.
    - Basically, it looks like the hobgoblins on the west side of the road had Mass Aid cast on them, which might make it harder to kill. Hobgoblins on the east side will get another chance at being entangled on Arendi's next turn, which is shortly.
    - The dual-wielder looks bloodied, and the robed hobgoblin is in worse shape. He took an AoO from the giant stag beetle to get where he is.

Group initiative, given who posted and who didn't:

First: Aidan, Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon
    Third: Diana, Arendi.

This leaves danielxcutter and Dimers with 48 hours to post up actions as of now, and I'll update following on from that.

Happy to discuss or clarify if needed anywhere.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

This was bad, bad, bad.

Arendi let out a yell that he couldn't hear as the effects of the thrown tanglepatch spread out explosively, much, much farther than he'd expected. Fortunately Kelemvor's blessing was still with him, but it'd wear off soon... and it seemed it hadn't actually pinned down any of the hobgoblins on this side of the road either.

Taking a quick look around, the death priest gritted his teeth - he'd planned to help the bear clean up the four archers before helping the others, but it seemed that wouldn't be so easy, especially with all the plant growth.

Still, there was still a chance to do both. He moved around the frontmost camel - he could never recall which was which, to be honest - pulled out his blade, and let out a wordless cry as he rose the weapon towards the heavens.

Show
    Arendi moves to square (D,3), draws his bastard sword, and casts Bless. That should probably work on everyone except for Vokon(and maybe some of the pack animals.

Rolling 1d5; 1 is failure for deafness.

(1d5)[1]

Also, Arendi automatically gets access to Shield Block now, and thus has all his maneuvers granted.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Too much going on. Screaming all around, allies and enemies both ... more combatants popping up unexpectedly, also both friend and foe ... After a costly delay, Diana let go of trying to figure it out and fell back on basic battle training. Kill the casters first, that's what wiser souls dictate. And so she did, zipping between the trees to blast fire at the wounded robed hobgoblin and one of his friends.

Spoiler: Round 3 mechanics
    Show
    Walk from (G, -3) to (E, -2) to breathe fire at the cleric and Hob3. (3d6)[10] fire, Reflex DC 18 for half. I now also threaten the cleric (if he lives). And I left room for the beetle to keep attacking him, and I probably piss him off just by existing.

EDIT: That leaves me, Alastor and Aerilaya in my fire retribution aura.

Forgot again last round to check for breath weapon recharge. So:
    racial breath ready again in Round (d4+2)[5]
    class breath ready again in Round (d4+3)[4]

Spoiler: If an AoO is called for
    Show
    (d20+7)[15] for (d8+4)[9] damage, one of which is fire.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2021-01-12 at 08:04 PM.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

Arendi's wordless cry to his god went unanswered, his conviction failing for a crucial moment, the words garbled in his deafness.

Diana came striding through the treeline and unleashed her breath; the robed hobgoblin and one of the hobgoblins in the trees screamed in pain as fire roared over her. But the robed one's spell had protected them enough that neither of them were overcome with it. That said, Diana, within striking distance of the robed one, could now make out the rough but clear symbol daubed on the hobgoblin's tunic.

Spoiler: Diana
    Show
    It was a star made of five reaching claws, each claw a different shade, each shade the colour of a chromatic dragon. Most dragonborn, let alone those devoted to Bahamut, knew that symbol. And now the robed hobgoblin's sudden hatred had a clear cause: it was the symbol of the one sometimes called She Who Breathes, sometimes the Dark Queen, but known to dragonborn by her true name, the name of the goddess: Tiamat, goddess of chromatic dragons.

Meanwhile, around Arendi, the plants continued to surge and twist and crackle as they sought to entrap the living forms in the trees.

Two hobgoblins failed to escape them this time, the branches wrapping around them, enfolding them tightly. Uno and Deux, the two camels, also roared wordlessly as they were snared. Two more hobgoblins, including the one swinging at Dobble, were not caught.

Dobble was also caught. Branches whipped around and caught the bear, drawing a roar of pained rage as the black bear fought to escape.

Show

Show
    Blue circles indicate who's entangled.

Group initiative:

First: Aidan, Aerilaya, Alastor, Vokon
    Third: Arendi, Diana

48 hours for the first group to post, which begins to run from now.

20. - Top - End - #50

I think it'll be better for us to fight as a group rather than me be separated here all alone. You're going to have to play catch-up! I wish I could finish off that spellcaster, but I'll aim for the next best thing!

Show
    Swift action: Activate Anklet of Translocation. Teleport to K7.
    Full-round action: Charge to J-1. That should let him attack the Bladebearer. Let's see if we can force some of these creatures to yield the playing field.
    Attack - (1d20+12)[23]
    Critical Confirmation - (1d20+12)[20]

Damage - (1d6+11)[14]
    Critical damage - (1d6+11)[14]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Condition None

Show
    Giant Stag Beetle will charge the bladebearer.

Bite the hobgoblin bladebearer (1d20+12)[15] for (4d6+9)[26]. The beetle has -2 AC for this round. (Beetle Confirm (1d20+12)[21])

Aidan shoots the hobgoblin cleric at F-1 with rapid shot

Shot 1 (1d20+9)[19] for (1d8+3)[7]
    Shot 2 (1d20+9)[22] for (1d8+3)[5]

Confirm 1 (1d20+9)[12]
    Confirm 2 (1d20+9)[16]
    This was looking worse by the moment. At least the spellcaster was momentarily distracted, so perhaps Aidan would be able to finish him off. Taking his time to stand next to the tree, at least partially shielded from the archers on the west side, he pulled back the string on the Blackbow. This was going to turn the tide. It was now or never. Breathing out, he found his mark, and then released the arrow. Watching his first arrow in flight, he loosed another, aimed at the same spot. "You better drippin' fall this time, scum."

Meanwhile, somewhere further down the road, the giant beetle, after having bitten the cleric something fierce, charged off further down the road, having seen some enemies to pursue. The beetle charged straight at the hobgoblins, his full weight bearing down on them, catching them under his bulk.
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-01-14 at 03:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Aerilaya felt a twinge of panic. There was no help coming. Only darkness and silence. Not silence exactly, there was a voice. The laugh seemed to be chiding her, it reminded her of her mother. The thought forced her to bite down hard on the pipe held in her teeth.

Her sword in the sheath, she reached behind her to grasp the furred neck of the hound that continued to harass her. Kaze-ni-mau-ha. Leaf on the wind. A pivot of her feet and a shifting of her hips would be all that was required to send the canine flying over the head of the bladebearer.

Show

Standard: Mighty Throw
    Touch Attack (1d20+8)[23]

Miss Chance (50% - high miss) (1d100)[68] / (1d100)[88]
    Blind-fight reroll (1d100)[77]

Trip Attempt - (1d20+8)[28]

Hellhound moved to I,-2 and prone

Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2021-01-13 at 12:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Alastor has heard enough of the cries of anguish of his beloved bear companion, it's time she got out of there. He dismounts from the dog with a surprisingly graceful jump from such a fat man. While this man has given into vice, it's clear that he used to be more actively involved with the performance of these animals. Pogo continues snapping his jaws at the hobgoblin that keeps attacing Alastor while Alastor cracks his whip

Dottle is a little confused and worried about these strange plants growing all over her, and just desperately fights back against the hobgoblin, against the tree, against anything and everything that she can get within her mad claws. Until suddenly, she is no longer there and Alastor is instead clinging to the tree and she is now standing behind her friend Pogo on the dark bring.

Show
    Dottle continues her mad full attack against the hobgoblin, but now with an extra -2 Penalty from being entangled.
    Claw 1 Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Claw 1 Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Claw 2 Attack: (1d20+6)[16]
    Claw 2 Damage: (1d4+5)[8]

Bite Attack: (1d20+1)[12]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Pogo similarly continues his attack against the hobgoblin, hopefully hitting this time.
    Bite Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+2)[6] (only if the bite hits)

Alastor dismounts as a move action to (C, -4). Or whatever square is right behind Pogo on the dark way. He then as a standard action activates his Eternal Wand of Benign Transposition that is in the Wand Chamber of his Whip that he drew last round to switch the locations of Dottle and himself. I've tempted faith enough, the bear needs to get out of that tree

Play-by-Post Characters:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

The three hobgoblins assailing Vokon looked around for a brief second after he disappeared, but spotted him quickly enough. One was fast enough to swipe wildly at him, but the blow with the short sword missed and Vokon was already running towards the ruined farmhouse with hammer in hand…

The hobgoblins began to turn to follow him—as the ground suddenly shook under their feet. They turned to see the giant stag beetle bearing down on them, ten feet long, lowering its sharp horns for the attack.

The three of them didn’t run. They instead slammed their shields together, raised short swords, bracing. “We are Kulkor Zhul! Our Queen is watching!” screamed one, and the other two gave answering, defiant snarls…

… as half a ton of giant stag beetle ran over them in a cloud of dust, leaving only broken masses of bone and blood behind them. They did not have enough time to swing a blade.

Vokon didn’t look behind him. He was too busy running. For a fleeting moment he was back on the mountain slopes, among the Nugalatha, running on inclines of sixty degrees in clear mountain air, the wind chilling his bared head. The dip of the road cut was ahead of him, and the goliath took a half-second in his stride to bunch legs thick as tree trunks below him, and vaulted, sailing through the air, clean over to the other side of the road cut, landing light as a feather. He cleared the last ten feet in two massive, loping strides and wheeled the little hammer through the air.

The block of its head cracked into the twin-sworded hobgoblin’s shoulder, drawing a grunt of pain from the monster, and a moment’s respite for Aerilaya. Unbelievably, the blow didn’t kill the beast. Aerilaya’s hand lashed out at the hell hound next to her, which danced aside, skittered to the corner of the farmhouse, and breathed. The fire roared across Aerilaya, Vokon, and the twin-sworded hobgoblin, who screeched aloud. But the screech contained no despair – only a note of rage, as if the hobgoblin were driving himself on through the pain.

Vokon took a precious second to pat out the flaming jelly that had hit him, the sting of its burn all across him. When he looked again, the hobgoblin had turned to him. Its body was a mess. Blood streamed from several gaping wounds, which presumably had been the work of Aerilaya’s swift sword. The hobgoblin coughed blood, rang its swords together, and grinned. “So! Will you challenge me, gulat! Good! You will be more challenge than stupid hu-man girl!Gulat was a word Vokon had heard before – the derisive, goblinoid word for goliath. The hobgoblin breathed deep, raising its weapons, dropping into a stance … and Vokon realised it had been trained in the Sublime Way as well. Blood in the Water, a part of him realised.

And the hobgoblin attacked. Sweat poured down its face. Even badly wounded, its blades spun and danced like birds, coming on with a furious energy, as though the creature were putting its last effort into the assault. Vokon danced just as quickly, his small hammer working and twisting … but with one lightning slash, one of the short swords dug into Vokon’s side. A lance of pain went through the goliath’s lung. Not a fatal wound, but a deep one.

A flare of fire crackled across the hobgoblin’s form; Diana’s blessing gave retribution for the injury. The hobgoblin, close up on Vokon, hissed audibly, snarled through lips that were burning off, and lashed out one last time with its second blade. Vokon, distracted, couldn’t get his hammer to it, and the second blade cut in too – not as badly, but bad enough. Again, Diana’s aura flared, and with a final shriek of pain, the hobgoblin’s face burned black, and the monster collapsed to the ground at Vokon’s feet.

North, on the side of the road cut, cleric of Tiamat and dragonborn of Bahamut finally confronted one another. The hobgoblin screamed her hatred, brandishing an evil-looking pick. “Weakling dragongirl! the hobgoblin shrieked--

A bow thrummed twice, the air screamed, and ended with two thunks. The hobgoblin cleric had two arrows protruding from her leg and arm, and hissed in pain – but did not fall. Aidan lowered the Blackbow, letting the breath out as he’d been taught, satisfied with the shot.
    Kulkor Zhul!” the cleric cried instead. “Kill the defiler! Kill the hated one!
    From the trees, arrows whistled. Two buzzed through the air and sank deep into Diana’s shoulders at the joint. Bombs of pain blasted through the dragonborn’s body, blood pouring from her. She pushed through the haze of pain just in time to see the cleric grinning. “Now, defiler, you will know what it means for She Who Breathes to crush your heart!
    The cleric closed her eyes for a split second, murmuring. On instinct, Diana slashed at her with her blade – but missed. Grinning smugly, the hobgoblin opened her eyes and opened a hand towards Diana.

Diana’s heart stopped.
    Or skipped a beat.
    The pressure within it was terrible, as though some force were crushing her. All strength drained from her limbs, and she struggled to breathe, her heart aching with sudden pain…
    And the hobgoblin cleric grinned, limbering up her heavy pick, getting ready to swing at the helpless dragonborn.

Further north, arrows still whipped through the air as Alastor shifted position with Dobble. The circusmaster was immediately grabbed by the branches and reaching leaves, but the gods at least were with him enough to keep the hobgoblin’s blade from catching his throat. They were all still alive – for the moment.

Show

Show

In summary:
    - Diana takes a total of 36 damage, putting her at 18/66 by my count. She is also helpless and can’t take actions for 1 round due to the Heartache spell.
    - Vokon takes 21 damage after DR is applied, putting him at 29/57 by my count.
    - Aerilaya takes 4 damage this round and 2 next round (despite being blinded and deafened, she still made her Reflex save).

But at least it’s a successful round, the bladebearer is down and dead and the stag beetle took down 3 hobgoblins all by itself. Hobgoblin cleric is still standing (Diana’s AoO missed BTW). All the other hobgoblins have fired or are still trying to free themselves from the entanglement they’re in.

Group Initiative:
    First: Aidan, Alastor, Aerilaya, Vokon
    Third: Diana, Arendi (though Diana is helpless and can’t take actions)

48 hours for Arendi to post up, then I’ll update on his action.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Alastor!" the death priest yelled in surprise. Sure, the bear was in serious trouble, but he certainly hadn't expected the ringmaster to do THAT.

Of course, it was looking like he wouldn't be doing much better... though at least the others seemed to be having better luck.

Lord Kelemvor, I know I haven't been the most devout of priests, but please help us. Arendi thought, saying the words to another prayer - that to invoke perhaps a small fraction of the power of his god's blade, Fatal Edge.

Show
    Move to square (E,7), attempt to cast Spiritual Weapon to attack Hobgoblin 7 if possible, or if not Hobgoblin 5.

Spell roll check; 1 is failure:

(1d5)[5]

Spiritual Weapon attack roll:

(1d20+7)[22]

Spiritual Weapon critical hit confirmation roll(if necessary):

(1d20+7)[15]

Spiritual Weapon damage roll:

(1d8+1)[8]

Spiritual Weapon critical hit damage roll(if necessary):

(1d8+1)[2]

If Arendi counts as adjacent to Alastor for the purposes of Shield Block, he'll use his immediate action to protect the ringmaster.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Diana gasped helplessly for breath, her shield hand pressed hard against her breastplate. It was impossible to even think, never mind taking action to show up this priest of "She Who Breathes".

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cannath Vale,

This time the god heard Arendi.

A shadowy, wavering image of a great bastard sword appeared behind the hobgoblin in the tree. Its transparent, blurred blade plunged into the hobgoblin's back. The monster stiffened, lost its grip, and fell wordlessly from the tree, making an awful thump as it struck the ground at Arendi's feet. Not that the cleric could hear it, still deafened.

Show

Show
    Alastor and Arendi are in the same spot. Doge-o, er, Pogo has now been inserted.
    Yes I know it's not the right breed, will sort next time :)

Group Initiative:
    First: Aidan, Alastor, Aerilaya, Vokon
    Third: Diana, Arendi (though Diana is helpless and can’t take actions)

Aidan, Alastor, Aerilaya, and Vokon have 48 hours to post up actions.

28. - Top - End - #58

Vokon shudders as the Bladebearer cuts him twice, but uses his armor to keep each strike from being lethal. Unexpectedly, his foe falls after striking him due to fiery explosions.

He glances around, and is about to move toward the firebreathing dog, but then he realizes that Diana is frozen entirely.

Leave her ALONE!

To emphasize his point, he launches himself at the cleric.

Show
    Charge to G-1
    Attack - (1d20+12)[15]
    Critical confirmation - (1d20+12)[19]

Damage - (1d6+11)[16]
    Critical damage - (1d6+11)[12]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Condition None

Show
    Giant Stag Beetle double move to H1.

Aidan Rapdi shots
    One arrow at the cleric (1d20+9)[16] for (1d8+3)[6]
    And one arrow at hobgoblin 1 at D-7 (1d20+9)[17] for (1d8+3)[10]

Confirm 1 (1d20+9)[19]
    Confirm 2 (1d20+9)[17]
    Aidan watches as both his arrows hit his mark. There is a reason he is the wearer of the Blackbow and not another. Then, to his dismay, he sees Diana fall to the floor, paralyzed. Vokon charges from the woods, but Aidan is not willing to let that be Diana's only chance. Controlling his breath, Aidan launches an arrow at the cleric, and turns away to fire another arrow at one of the goblins in the trees.

The beetle comes back up the road, in its rage looking for more things to squash, and walking up to a goblin in a tree.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Now the darn trees are attacking us too!" Alastor grumbled loudly, things were not going well. At least with the tree holding on to him he didn't have to hold on to it, so he used his free hand to grab the second of his alchemist flasks. His movement was limited, but he still chucked towards the nearest hobgoblin. He'd either burn down the goblin or he'd burn down the tree, both were fine with him. "Burn you little @%#&*!"

In the mean time, Pogo kept snapping at the hobgoblin in the tree, still trying to pull him out of there. Dobble was still a little shaken up from being attacked by the tree branches, but now she was at a different place. Seeing her friend fighting with another of these vicious creatures she gives of a large growl. Pogo moves behind Dobble and lets the motherbear attack. Pogo moves of the darkway, looking for his boss that suddenly vanished.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a move action, Alastor draws a flask of alchemist fire (he only has 1 left on him) and as a standard action he throws it towards Hobgoblin 6. 25 ft away, so -4 from Range increment for a total penalty of -6 thanks to being entangled. This gives me a total of +0 for ranged attacks, but it's a touch attack so I like to think I have a chance. One of the rolls has to go well right?
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20)[8]
    Alchemist Fire Damage Roll: 1d6+1[/roll]
    Pogo uses a standard action to once again bite and try to trip this hobgoblin.
    Bite Attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[8]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+2)[15] (only if the bite hits)
    After that he uses a move action to move off the Darkway to (D, -2). Staying out of the entangle range for now

Finally, Dobble, though hurt, has her maternal instincts kick in, she fights through the pain, makes a 5 ft. step to wear the dog had been (D, -6) and lunches at the hobgoblin that had been fighting it (that at this point may or may not be tripped). She is no longer entangled as so can unleash her full force.
    Claw 1 Attack: (1d20+8)[20]
    Claw 1 Damage: (1d4+5)[6]

Claw 2 Attack: (1d20+8)[14]

Bite Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    Bite Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Play-by-Post Characters: