New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

"...Oh. Yeah, that makes sense. Sorry." said Arendi sheepishly. "And good point - I haven't really prepared spells with that in mind."
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Which is another reason I made sure to give us the extra day to prepare"
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

So if I understand this correctly, they want us to go traipsing through at least 300 square miles of forest until we find a band of goblins that seem to be leaders, and kill them so that their followers will splinter apart and no longer be a threat.

It seems to me that regardless of the reward, this is a fool's errand without more information, or we could waste days stumbling around and finding next to nothing.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"...Damnit. I really should asked for more information."

Arendi scratched his head. "Well, this time we'd be going on the offensive though... I say we at least give it a shot, and then drop it if we're over our head. I'm pretty sure we'd do better than random guardsmen."

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"The leader may not even be in the forest" Alastor said "the captain said that they thought the tribe was coming out of the Wyrmbones Mountains, this leader may very well have send his troops out while staying back himself."

Alastor took out their map. "The way I see it, the advantage we have is twofold. The first is that this time we will be properly expecting an ambush, and so we can adjust our travel speed accordingly. The second is that we, unlike a group of patrol guards, won't look like we're actually expecting an ambush let alone actively looking for one. If we travel down this road towards Skull Gorge then we are bound to encounter at least one of these groups. As long as we can capture at least one of them before they take a knife to their throat we might be able to find out where there leader is. If Aidan and Aeriyalla travel ahead of the caravan while using the trees for cover we should have a good chance of being able to ambush our would-be ambushers."

"These guys want to disrupt trade to this town, so they are unlikely to ignore such an seemingly defenceless target such as ourselves. If we can knock out one of them without killing it and then tie them up or put them in manacles before they wake up, we should hopefully be able to learn more than the townspeople have managed to up until now."

Play-by-Post Characters:

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, we need a plan." said Arendi. "We can sell the stuff we got off the hobgoblins, and use the gold to buy magic items so we have an easier time dealing with them... oh speaking of gold..."

He turned to the ringmaster. "You know, we should probably return that wallet. If that merchant'd been a stranger to this area or he'd had no heirs then I'd be okay keeping it, but he does have family in the area and seems to be fairly well-known at that."

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Aidan Blackbow (Adinae - Forgotten whisper)
    Male LE Drow (Dark Elf) Ranger, Level 5, Init 5, HP 28/28, Speed 30
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 9, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Throwing axe x2 + 10 (1d6 +1, x2)
    Short Sword +7 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Mithril chain shirt, Heavy wooden Shield (not equipped) (+4 Armor, +5 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
    Condition None

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    None

Aidan had just come around the back of the tent when the Captain and the Speaker were leaving. From the conversation he distilled the gist of it, if not the exact price the town was willing to pay. He walked up to the group. "So what's the plan? Do we put up a show tomorrow night and leave? If we set out later, I might scout ahead. I won't be seen. You know I sleep very little, so I could leave tonight if you wanted. Scout out the road a ways and see what it is like. Might give us a heads up at least. I'd rather not walk into another trap like that again. And as for finding this group, if we find one warband I might be able to figure out what direction they came from. That would give us an inkling of the main body's direction." Then he shrugged. "And make them pay before we go. Just like those bloody politician types to make us do the work and not pay up."
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-02-04 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Human Paragon (3) / Swordsage (2)
    Player: Deadguy

Aerilaya exhaled a plume of fragrant smoke and rolled her shoulders in a shrug as Arendi pleaded his case about the merchant's money. "Do whatever sets your conscious at ease. I've no reservations one way or another about orphans and widows."

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show
    Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)

9. - Top - End - #159

I am content to give his gold back to the widow. She will have need of it, with her husband's passing.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"In that case I am gonna need a volunteer to find this merchant's widow and somebody to go to the smith with the hobgoblins' gear while I talk to the speaker tomorrow to accept the job. Not sure they'll be willing to pay before we leave, seeing as they don't have much and we can't guarantee that we'll actually find this goblin leader. I'll see what I can do though.

That being said, we won't leave until the morning after tomorrow's show. Some reconnaissance can be useful Aiden but if you do leave at night take Libby with you. That way, as long as you're not more than a mile away when something does go wrong, I'll know about it. My link with Libby means I can feel what he feels and panic with him is always a strong emotion. Given how organised they apparently are, no point in taking the risk of you being completely alone.
    "

Play-by-Post Characters:

11. - Top - End - #161

I'll be glad to go to the smith. I can help haul everything there in one trip. If Aerilaya wants to come (since she already seems to have made friends), we may be able to get a better price. It may be worth our while to continue on to the temple as well.

Alastor, when you're negotiating for our fee, make sure you also ask about any other potential sources of magic for us here. Are there any traders who would have access to something else? Arcanists? Perhaps bring Diana with you. Everyone seems to put up with your mouth better when she's around.

Oh, and I already mentioned it once: Wandering through 300 square miles of forest is NOT my idea of a good time. They have to have more information than that, or can point us in the right direction. Landmarks? Or even better, a guide?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    That would be her social skill aura

He looks from one to the next. And if anyone's looking for something in particular, now would be the time to ask. We can certainly keep our eyes and ears open. Who knows what people may have laying around?
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-02-04 at 06:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm... I don't think people expect Kelemvorites to bear good news anyways, so I'll go find the family," Arendi said. "And if the goblins are in the forest, maybe more tanglepatches would help."

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    "Hmm... I don't think people expect Kelemvorites to bear good news anyways, so I'll go find the family," Arendi said. "And if the goblins are in the forest, maybe more tanglepatches would help."
    Remember not to catch yourself in the next one! And keep those things away from me, too.
    Vokon chuckles as he says it.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post
    Perhaps bring Diana with you. Everyone seems to put up with your mouth better when she's around.
    Caught off guard in her brooding, Diana snorts half a laugh before covering her mouth. But she regains her seriousness immediately. "I'll keep my mouth shut during negotiations, Ringleader, but knowing what I know now, you'd have to pay me to stay away from the hobgoblins. In case my stance wasn't clear before: this became a holy war as soon as I saw that five-claw star." No student of warfare, Diana doesn't seem to have aught to say about the strategy or tactics, just about her own profound drive.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Elvencraft, Dragonbone +1 Composite (2) Longbow (60) +11 (+9/+9 rapid) (1d8 + 3, x3)
    Condition None

Show
    None

"Good. I'll go turn in now then. I should be able to leave well before sun up to get some more info on the first few miles on the Dawn Way. I'll be back before dinner tomorrow. And I'll take a few of those tanglepatches in case I do get spotted. That will make following me difficult." As he starts to walk away, he mumbles "and that dang bird better keep his mouth shut while scouting..."
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-02-05 at 03:37 PM.
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Yeah, I figured it would be hard for you to say no to this particular offer" Alastor said in reply to Diana "glad we're all in agreement than."

He then turned his attention to the drow "And you better be back in time tomorrow Aiden. It's one thing that you sat out today's show but if tomorrow is going to be our only other performance in this town I want it to be a big one!! Once we've opened up this trade routes for them we need them to send word to the next town over that our show is not one to miss."

"That being said, I think that means we have our plan for tomorrow then. Make sure you all rest well"

Play-by-Post Characters:

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, I'll go find the widow and then help you with the other things tomorrow. I'll prepare spells depending on what items we can get... oh right."

Arendi turned to the ringmaster. "Performance was good today, liked the jokes. Should have gotten people's attention. Not particularly interested in performing tomorrow either, but I suppose we might be able to do the apple-on-the-head thing or something I dunno."

He yawned. "Anyways, if that's it I'll be off to bed soon. Good night."

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Arendi
    At the Guardpost, Drellin’s Ferry, Cannath Vale
    Nine bells, the Seventh of Mirtul,
    1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

The most logical place to start looking for the Sergeant, it seemed to Arendi, was the guardpost where they’d first encountered him yesterday. But when he came up to the guard station, Hersk wasn’t there, and the farmer with a spear Arendi spoke to first indicated that the sergeant had gone out at first light with three riders down this very road to recover some bodies.

Arendi wasn’t sure why the farmer seemed to be quite so subdued until he looked across to the other side of the road: in the shade of a drooping, white-trunked eucalyptus tree, there was a middle-aged woman with flame-red hair, sitting with quiet dignity in the shade. Arendi could see her fingers twisting as they grasped one another in her lap. There were three red-haired boys with her – various ages, somewhere from the morning of twenty down to the middle of the teens. All of them had a strong resemblance to one another; all of them had the same grim expressions on their faces.

Aidan
    Along the Dawn Way, Shaareach Forest, Cannath Vale
    Eleven bells, the Seventh of Mirtul,

Aidan certainly had reason to be in a foul mood as the sun drew higher in the sky. He had been up before sunrise, but found himself confronted by an implacable enemy when he started out for Shaareach Forest in order to get a sense of the place. Namely: the Talar River, which was wide enough to keep one from realistically swimming it without being swept away. So he’d had to wait by the Ferry until a fat-bellied, irritatingly-jolly man named Drathgar turned up at sunrise to pole him across. For this Aidan had agreed to pay one silver piece.

He had cleared the town easily enough; nobody seemed to oppose him, and even the guardsmen on the post facing west had been initially startled by his appearance, but less concerned about the fact he was going out than going back in.

The fields soon enough gave way to the clearfell where they’d had timber cut, and sometime after that, the forest itself. The heat immediately enveloped him. Shaareach Forest was a stifling jungle even in the early morning, and he could feel sweat on his brow even as he decided it might be a good idea to head into the trees on the side of the road. The Dawn Way was certainly a dwarf-built road: tightly-locked pavers and cobbles had no specific sign of age, and despite a lack of maintenance there didn’t seem to be much in the way of weeds that grew from between the stones.

And there was some power alive in the forest. He couldn’t put his finger on it, but Aidan could feel it the moment the road began to bend towards the north. He felt it like a sensation that the shadows were growing subtly deeper, a feeling that he could see spiders peering at him from random branches, a sensation that his back presented a wide and open target. He wasn’t accosted, though; he did come across the remains of a small campfire of some kind about three miles out from town, and the stink was consistent with hobgoblin, but there was no sign of the makers, and the best he could tell was that they might have turned back north up the road.

So it was a considerable surprise when he turned a small bend in the road and found himself looking at an old woman facing an easel. She was in plain, brown, homespun robes, sitting on a battered-looking stool, and the easel faced a small dip in the land where the forest became a small dell filled with trees and Jaslyn’s Pea hanging like little rubies in the early light. Her white hair wasn’t tied back, and she seemed to have a little smile on her face as she perused the landscape and then turned back to the easel, adding a dab of paint here and then a smudge there.

She turned and looked straight at him.

Her smile was genial and welcoming. “Ah! Wonderful! I do need someone to stand in, give it some scale. Would you mind? It’ll only be a couple of minutes.”

Alastor and Diana
    The Old Toll House
    Drellin’s Ferry, Cannath Vale
    Eight bells, the Seventh of Mirtul,

“Ah! Excellent,” said Captain Anitah as Alastor and Diana arrived. She set aside her quill in the narrow, stuffy office she was based in, and called outside to one of the guardsmen, who headed off to find the Speaker. She offered the two adventurers a cup of water each and pulled out two wooden chairs for them. One creaked under Diana’s impressive form, but held.

The captain folded her hands. “After we spoke last night I admit I spent a lot of time staring up at the ceiling thinking about the mission we proposed, and it occurred to me I didn’t tell you a lot about what I think you’re up against. If you don’t mind I’d like to go through it while we’re waiting for the Speaker. ”
    “Of course,” said Diana.

The captain went to a cupboard and took out a long piece of parchment, rolling it out onto her table, securing the four corners with small lead oval weights.
    Spoiler: The Chronicler’s Map
    Show

She gestured at the map. "This is the area I was talking about. Farthest western end of Shaareach Forest, but given the way we’re getting hit I very much doubt they’re holding out anywhere east of the Rhestwash. Like I said, it’s about three hundred square miles - this is about as good a map as we've got of the forest. It's been put together over the years from the stories of those who choose to live or wander the area. Even without the hobgoblins, there's precious few who'd go for holiday strolls in there - the forest claims a woodsman or hunter every year. We know the area around the Dawn Way best, that's a solid, dwarf-built road all the way through, and we tried to keep it that way. Most of the woodcutters are occupied just keeping the trees from reclaiming the road."

She rested her chin on a thin, elegant finger. "Now, like I said, normally we don’t get hobgoblins in big numbers down here. They tend to stay close to or in the mountains -- Shaareach melds with the foothills of the Wyrmbones to the west, you can see. So I was trying to figure out where the hobgoblins are based. There are hills and ridges in the wood, but not much that you could really call a choke point or defensible stronghold. The main natural barrier in the area is pretty much Skull Gorge. Melodramatic name, I know, but I've seen it. Fall off the edge of the gorge and you'll have a lot of time to think about it before you hit bottom. Of course, there's an old dwarven bridge, part of the Dawn Way, that crosses it. Either better built or it’s had better luck than the span that used to here, over the Talar,” she said, gesturing absently in the direction of the Ferry and the remains of the dwarven bridge next to it.”

“Once you’re across Skull Gorge, Cinder Hill is the last big natural landmark that way, from there the road drops into open country again. But given the way we're getting hit with raids, I'm thinking the hobgoblins have to be lairing somewhere closer, in the woods, especially since they cut down my men only a couple of miles inside the forest's edge."

She drew their attention back to the south end of the map. "Now, you were hit south of the river, so they must’ve forded the river somewhere I don't know about. For all I know they could've floated across on logs. But there hasn’t been anywhere near as much activity down that way, so I’m guessing you took care of the main band that was handling that area. Which brings us back to north of the river again.”

She folded her arms. “Anyway, I was racking my brain trying to think of where in the Nine Hells in the woods they could be based. None of that terrain is really clear enough to have large bands coming to and fro, the forest is pretty thick at the best of times, so where could you camp a group that size? And that’s when it hit me. Vraath Keep.”
    She pointed to a small hump of ground on the map to the southwest of where the Dawn Way where the road intersected with a stream called Cold Creek. “It’s an old, ruined castle, supposed to be somewhere around this hill, about fifteen miles along the Dawn Way. It’d make sense if the hobgoblins took it for their stronghold. They might not care that it’s supposed to be haunted.”
    “Vraath Keep is supposed to be a lot of things," said Speaker Wiston. He was standing at the door of the captain’s office with a patient smile.
    "Jorr Natherson told me he's been there," Anitah countered.
    "Jorr Natherson told me he fought off ten Harpers once," said Wiston. He turned to the companions. "You would be hard-pressed to find anyone here who knows that ruin’s exact location. It fell long years ago -- the forest reclaimed any direct paths to it there were. That, the rumours of ghosts, and the forest itself have kept most sane people from looking for it. Of course," he chuckled, "it doesn't stop the odd party of treasure-hunters searching for the place. The ruin and the ghosts and the location seem to go together with stories of a treasure associated with it. Not that anyone has managed to find said treasure - not even Jorr Natherson."
    "He hasn't found the Fool's Cache because he doesn't dare," replied Anitah. "He told me he won't set foot inside the ruins. You didn't see him when he was talking about the place."
    "I’ll say this much, if you’re planning on looking around in Shaareach Forest, you won’t find anyone who knows the woods better – he’s been living out there for decades, longer than anyone sane would have lasted anyway. Has a small cabin out there. But right now I’m more interested in ending the hobgoblin threat and reopening the Dawn Way. So? Have you had a chance to think over the proposition?”

Vokon and Aerilaya
    Morlin's Smithy

Morlin Coalhewer had a broad grin on his face when Aerilaya and Vokon walked in. He set down the ingot of steel he had in his hand and bustled his way to the entrance of the smithy. "And a good morning to ye, lass! Half th' town's talking about yer performance last night, sorry t' say I didn't see it. Ye might ha' t' watch out for suitors th' longer ye stay in this town, plenty enough idiots aroun' here get all doe-eyed when a girl walks by, much more the case a fine lass who knows good weed!" He turned to Vokon. "And this would be yer partner from th' act. The rumours do not do your friend justice." He bowed respectfully to the goliath. "Ard-Kazok, Go-Karn."

Spoiler: Vokon
    Show
    Vokon had met enough dwarves to confirm the story that they respected goliaths, but it had been a long time since he'd heard the words of Gol-Kaa, the goliath language; much longer since someone had addressed him politely and wished him a good day in that language.

Morlin looked sidelong at the improvised travois the two had dragged down from the green, containing everything they planned on selling (or at least seeking a sale on it). The dwarf grinned. "Well, I'd ask what I can do for ye, but I've a feeling I might know what ye have in mind. Ye wanting something other than gold t' trade for this, or is it just th' holy metal ye seekin' off yesterday's hard work?"

Spoiler: The Chronicler's Marginalia
    Show
    To try and save some time on the calculations, Morlin's willing to take what you've got at 75% of book price, which is a bit better rate than the standard 50%.

The trick is this: the settlement's got an 800gp limit, so absent trading for goods, you might have to suck up an IOU from Morlin if you're looking to ditch everything today. It is a small town.

In terms of the gear that he has on display, +1 weapons are apparent, but basically give me a list of what you're looking for and we'll see if it's something Morlin carries or he has to dig up off somebody else.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

"...Hello." said Arendi, cautiously walking up to the woman. "...Would you be the Lakelocks?"

He was pretty sure, but it wouldn't hurt to check. And if they had something do with the other victims, then perhaps a kind word could help a bit.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Yes, we've had time to think about your proposal, and we're willing to cut our stay in your village short and make tonight's performance our last until we solve this hobgoblin issue with you. That being said however, there are still some things we'd like to negotiate. First there is the matter of pay. As you said last night, given your current situation we are the ones holding the leverage at the moment. Now it is not my intention to try and bleed you dry, I believe the offer you've made me is fair and trust that it is about as much as you're willing to pay to a bunch of strangers who only just arrived in your when you're dealing with trad problems. The problem I currently have isn't the amount but rather the time of payment. We'd like to be payed at least half up front. This is partly so that we can buy some of the supplies we'll need to succeed and partly as insurance because what you're asking of us is difficult and the attempt alone deserves to be rewarded"

"I also came for more information, though your captain already provided a lot of that while we were waiting for you. Would you happen to have a copy of this map? As well as an address for this Jorr Natherson fellow? If you are right and they are hiding in that castle than he is probably someone I should talk to today as well"

Play-by-Post Characters:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Arendi

"That's right," said the eldest boy, turning towards him and ever-so-subtly putting himself between the woman and Arendi. His face was a mix of grief and anger. "Who are you?"

Alastor and Diana
    The Old Toll House
    Eight bells, the Seventh of Mirtul,

Wiston smiled. "You might have some difficulty knocking on Jorr Natherson's door before you head into the forest," he said. "His cabin's actually out in the forest itself. It's a little out of the way, but as you say it could be worth the walk. If you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest's edge."
    "Or, if you want to avoid the Dawn Way, the other way there is along the Old Cutters' Trail. Starts off as a road immediately north once you're across the ferry," said the Captain. "Peters out into a path a mile or two out of town. Go left at the first big trail crossing - Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in, near the Blackwater - eastern end of the marsh that Swift Creek waters. But you can have this map," she added, indicating the map she had laid out. "We have a few copies here just in case."
    Wiston cleared his throat. "As to your counteroffer - done. So given there's six of you, at five hundred gold each, that's a total of 3,000 gold for the whole job, with 1,500 now, and the rest when you've brought back proof that the hobgoblins have been routed from the wood. Just a moment." He was only a minute or two out of the room before returning, handing over a discreetly nondescript cloth pouch that held the first half of the payment.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah. I see." said the greywarden, pulling off his haversack and taking out Janeth's purse. "Then I believe this would belong to your family. I'm sorry that we couldn't bring your father back ourselves."

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Arendi

The boy looked at the purse in his hands, then back at Arendi. "This belonged to my--? Where did you get this? Did you steal--"
    "Tyrmon," said the woman. She had gotten to her feet and was moving toward Arendi. Her eyes were brown and her face had fading freckles. "That's enough. It's your father's purse. He was taking it to Sheirtalar - he had a transaction he thought could solve our problem once and for all."
    "What transaction? I thought he didn't--"
    She looked at her son with eyes that were still swollen from the tears. "There was a shipment of adamantine. He was going to buy part of it with a couple of other traders, sell it at a profit over in Rethmar."
    For a second the boy, Tyrmon, seemed about to argue with her. But then grief overwhelmed the young man, and he bowed his head.
    The woman looked back at Arendi. "Forgive my manners, saer. I am Danuta Lakelock, husband to Jendar. These are our three sons. You must be the greywarden Hersk told me about, the one that came in with the circus last night. You have my thanks, saer. Not all men would have sought out a widow to return a raider's spoils." She put her fingers to her mouth, and in the morning light Arendi could see the water forming there. "I .. know you are of the Lord of the Dead, saer. When you found ... when you found him, did -- did you have a chance to give h-him the ... proper rites?"

Arendi didn't have an opportunity to respond, because that was the moment a wagon rounded the last turn before the guardpost. There were riders to either side, moving at a slow walk, and Sergeant Hersk was leading the horse hitched to it. In the buck of the wagon four long forms had been wrapped in makeshift sheets. As the wagon slowly made its way up to the checkpoint, the farmers on the guardpost removed the leather caps or helmets they wore.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

"The Passing's traditionally said at the last moments, but there's other - " He cut off when he saw the wagon come in. "...Ah."

He hesitated for a split second, handed it over quickly to the nearest boy, and said "I, uh, I'll give you a few moments."

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Aerilaya produced the pouch on queue. Finding a suitable work bench, she hopped up and pulled her own pipe from a pocket. She gave it a knock clean as she waited for the dwarf to gather himself up a pinch.

"Hopefully, the majority of those idiots would recognize a woman skilled enough with a sharp sword doesn't need to waste her time handling theirs."

Once her pipe was packed and lit, she looked around. It was obvious she wasn't in a hurry to leave. "What we can trade for or take as credit is fine. Lugging all that around might be easy enough for Vokon here, but it's much too noisy for my tastes."

She motioned up to the automated bellows with the tip of her pipe. "I still think this contraption could be used to circulate bath water instead of air... an unending supply of warm bath water. Mmm... a girl might consider settling down for something like that."

Show
    Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"It was a pleasure doing business with you" Alastor said, as he took a copy of the map as well the advancement on the payment with him "I hope to see you at tonight's performance, turns out it will be our big closer before we leave the city." he said with a grin. Alastor then did his customary bow before he and Diana went back to the big tent to watch the animals until the others returned.

Play-by-Post Characters:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Arendi

"Boys," said Danuta Lakelock tightly. "See to your father."
    The three young men turned and dragged their feet in the direction of the wagon. Hersk respectfully halted as the eldest came up to him, placing a mailed hand on Tyrmon's shoulder as he slowly passed the lead rope over. The Sergeant was saying something to the young man that Arendi couldn't hear.

Arendi turned his attention back to Danuta, who had just wiped away a tear. She took a deep breath and looked at the greywarden once more. "There are things we'll need to do, saer. I thank you again. But ... I would be pleased if you could come to my husband's warehouse at noon today. There is something else I need to speak with you about."
    She turned and walked slowly toward the wagon.

Vokon and Aerilaya
    Morlin's Smithy

"What?" Morlin looked up from the suit of leather armour he was holding. "Ye sayin' yer travellin' companions haven't found ye a hot bath yet? Great Hammers of Moradin, we're not savages in this town! Ye go t' the Old Bridge Inn, they've hot water in baths, cost ye a few gold, but ye don't even need t' stay th' night!" He tossed the armour across a table, and moved across to the array of weapons and other objects they'd brought to him. "Well, doesn't look like there's anythin' terribly out of th' ordinary here. Not much to tell from the smithing -- looks like regular hobgoblin rubbish work, probably out of their dirty forges in the Wyrmbones where they all skulk when they're not bothering normal folk. Looks a little more mass-produced than usual, but that's abou'--"

His words trailed off as he picked up one of the iron rings they'd recovered. His brows shot together. He immediately began to handle the ring gingerly, peering at the faded remains of the burned markings on them, and keeping his fingers well away from them. It was difficult to read Morlin's eyes other than see five or six emotions wash across them in quick succession. Finally, he turned, abruptly, with speed that belied his frame. "Ye got these from the hobgoblins' weapons?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Noon, eh? I wonder what she means. Arendi wondered.

He stood there for a few moments more, then headed back to the Green. There wasn't much for him to do at the moment so he might as well spend his time there.

His footsteps were a bit lighter than before, but still heavy.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Show
    Condition None

Show
    None

"Arraah! Spotted! Silly, silly elf, letting the woman see you!"
    Libby was in a nearby tree, mockingly cawing the fact that the woman had somehow seen him. Just as well, because if Libby had been within an arm's length the bird would be missing a few feathers about now. Aidan stood up straight, properly revealing himself, and walked nearer to the woman. "Lady, though I do not doubt you have good reason to paint in this grove, I can hardly recommend it. Hobgoblins have been harassing travelers on the road, many of whom do not live to their tale. Unless you have some skill in magic or steel I cannot divine from your appearance, you would do well to return to Drellin's Ferry. I am following the hobgoblin's tracks on order of the city council, so the road back to town should be safe." "Arraah! Fancy words for elf with ugly personality!"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

"Hmm? Oh, yes. You can see where each of the bows had a similar ring. I think their blademaster had several, didn't he?"

Aerilaya seemed to not be paying much attention to the finding, still looking at the dwarven forging contraptions. Her question was directed to Vokon, who had done the collecting and carrying of the gear. Her tone was relaxed, almost dismissive compared to Morlin's query.

Show
    Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)