Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom (3.5)

A Clearing Along the Cutter's Trail
    Shaareach Foret, Cannath Vale
    Close to sunset, the Eighth of Mirtual
    1372 DR, Year of Wild Magic

Complication Dice: 4 of 6

"You're going to be looking for your ****ing eye in a minute, sonny," growled the man on the porch at Arendi's words. "You and whoever sent ya out here. ****ing wanderwoods cast so much shade you can't get a good sward going without half a ton of cow**** all on it, so let me repeat, get off my lawn."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Nobody sent us out here, but we were told you were the only one who could help us. Speaker Winston hired us to deal with the goblin problem and you are apparently the only person who knows how to get to where they are hiding" Alastor said while he looked for the proper pathway to this man's house so he could get of his lawn without looking like he was retreating.
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2021-03-10 at 08:46 AM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

At Alastor mentioning goblins, the man released the tension on his bow. He pulled the arrow from its rest and stowed it in an unseen quiver next to the doorway. "Well, why didn't you say so? No ****ing friends of mine, stinking hobgoblins. Name's Jorr Natherson - but you already knew that." Natherson came clomping across the porch, down the stairs, and across his lawn to meet the party. "I've been seeing 'em all over the place. How many of 'em altogether I don't know. A lot, I'm guessing - stinkin' pig****ers normally stay up yonder in the Wyrmbones, but looks like we've got a big war party down here. Maybe they came down the Old Forest Road, maybe by Skull Gorge. I'd be guessing Skull Gorge. But why would you think I'd know where..." He stopped suddenly, nodding. "Vraath Keep - you're thinkin' they're holed up in Vraath Keep. Just the kind of stupid thing the gods-damned porkheads'd do." He made some sort of noise with his throat, somewhere between a sigh and a growl. "So what, you're wanting me to take you there?"

Spoiler: The Chronicler's Marginalia
    Show
    Make a Diplomacy roll here.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vokon growls: Yes. We're going to drive them out of the keep, and any that survive won't be coming out of the mountains again for a full generation.

He lifts his oversized hammer and shakes it for emphasis.

We already fought off around a dozen of them as we entered the town. They were fanatics, and slit their own throats instead of running when the battle turned against them.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2021-03-11 at 11:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"That so," Jorr grunted. It wasn't certain whether he was asking a question or not. "Didn't think I'd see the day ****ing hobgoblins started cleaning up after themselves. Still..." And here he actually got a clear look at Arendi's face, and Jorr's eyes flicked to the insignia of Kelemvor at the cleric's chest. "Well, suppose you're doing the right thing if a greywarden's walking with you. Good men one and all, ones I knew from Rethmar anyway. Can't have a cleric of Kelemvor bashing around uselessly out here. All right, I'm your man. I'll not go into Vraath Keep, but anything in the walls I'd warrant a greywarden can handle. I know the trails, and I can get you to the place. Fifty gold, that's all I ask."

Show
    In mechanical terms, leaving aside that Jorr knows where the keep is, having him along removes any need to make Survival checks to navigate and forage while he's with you in Shaareach Forest, i.e. you won't get lost and you won't run out of food or water even if you have to trailbreak off the marked trails. 50 gp to hire him for the whole of the time you're in the forest.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

"Deal," Arendi said, counting out the gold. I could get used to being socially accepted.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"A'right then," said Jorr, stowing the gold in a purse about six inches from the knife. He glanced up at the shadows of the great eucalypts above. "You'll be wantin' to set up camp for th' night. No matter how crazy they say I am, I'm not stupid enough to go ****ing around in this forest after dark. Suppose you can set up here on the grass if it suits you. Ain't got room for six, let alone ****ing bears and more damn dogs." He hesitated. "Got some leaf-wrap berritos here if you want. Guess I could stretch it somewhat for dinner. We could talk about how you want to get to the Keep later, but basically you got two ways: head up the trails and the Dawn Way and get off close as you can get to the Keep before going off-road, or stick to the trails and then trailbreak through. I'm thinking you'd get a warm ****ing reception going right up the Way, that's where most of the ****ers seem to be laying, but going direct off trail's going to sure be slower. And that's no ****ing picnic either."

Show
    If you want to settle in for the evening and want to accept Jorr's offer of a meal, it spares you having to use up trail rations or forage, and as said he's likely going to be hard to convince going out at or after dark. The choice of path for tomorrow, as before, basically comes down to two routes: the faster but more dangerous (Dawn Way) or slower but hopefully less dangerous (up the woodcutters' trails and then trailbreak through to the Keep). Or you might have something else in mind. And there's also the pace to set: fast, normal, or slow.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I can assure you that Dottle is harmless, but I can understand not having the room for her. I'll make sure that the animals can get comfortable outside then before coming inside. Sounds like we've got quite a few things to discuss."

Play-by-Post Characters:

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Elf's new best friend! Swearing competition all night long! Arrah!" At this, Aidan smiled as he walked outside the fence to pick a nice tree to set up a brief log shelter under. Since he'd traveled light for speed, he hadn't brought his tent and had been counting on it to sleep under a log shelter. After finishing his shelter and having made his bed, he walks over to Alastor. "I suppose my new best friend here knows better than I, at least the area around here, and he's got a point. I was thinking maybe we take the Dawn Way and try to feel out more bloodeyed hobgoblins ambushes. That way we'd be doing our job getting rid of the stinking basterds, and maybe make some better time. I know you don't like leaving the circus behind. I can travel by the side as good as anyone, perhaps Jorr on the other, and that way we can feel out either side. What do you say?"
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-03-15 at 03:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi shook his head. "I think it's better saving our resources for the keep. Maybe take the Dawn Way on the return trip to get rid of the remaining ones, perhaps. How long would the forest trails take?"

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin

Jorr squinted. "This'd be easier t'explain if you had a map o' some kind."
    "As it happens, we do," said Diana. She went fossicking for the map of Shaareach Forest that Captain Anitah had given she and Alastor.

Spoiler: The Chronicler's Sketch
    Show

The woodsman grunted as they rolled it out for him. "Yeah, I remember that. Drew half it for 'em, years back. Anyway, we're about here," and he pointed to a spot where the trail had been smudged, halfway between the Dawn Way and where the cutter's trail split into north and west, on the south side of Swift Creek, where the Creek widened into marshland. "And Vraath Keep's about here. North face of that small hill, see it? Southwest corner of where the Dawn Way crosses Cold Creek and the Old Forest Road. Not that it ****ing overlooks anything or you could overlook it, the ****ing forest's grown up all around it like y'see around my place. Direct from here to there's only about six miles northwest as the raven flies, but that's bad ****ing bush all through there. Swamps and the Creek and then cross the Dawn Way right where I'd say those ****ing hobgoblins are laying. No, if I had to do it - and I have to ****ing do it, you're payin' me now - I'd follow the cutters' trails from here west, cross the Dawn Way, and keep with it as it circles north, then cut east across country somewhere just south of Cold Creek. Call that about twelve, fifteen miles all up, the last bit'd be the slowest since there's no trail. As for how long? We go early tomorrow, and I think I could get y' there about mid to later afternoon so long as we don't dawdle. And if no ****ing pedestrians get interested in us, mind you."

He rolled his shoulders as he straightened, with an audible crackling noise from his back. "Course, faster than all that'd be just head back to the Dawn Way and straight up it, but I do believe you'd be out of your ****ing gourd to go that route, even with the drow and me watchin' the road ahead. ****ing hobgoblins might not be too damn smart, but they're provin' pretty ****ing good at laying ambushes from what I hear. And y' don't know how many might be in earshot of one sounding a ****ing alarm." He nodded at the house. "Anyway, come on in and have some food already. Jawin' like this makes a man hungry."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"Considering we fell into an ambush ourselves-"

Like the clowns we are, the greywarden refrained from saying,

"-I'd say they are, yes. And thank you, it is time for dinner."

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

You speak with sense, Jorr. About both our path and about meal time. Let's eat!

Vokon gently sets down his hammer and pats his belly.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya Ralothyra
    Sheet

Human Paragon (3) / Swordsage (2)
    Player: Deadguy

Aerilaya was glad to be out of the veritable jungle. She basked a bit in the fading light of the clearing as the others discussed their trip. As they talked, she took the time to light her pipe.

She began to head toward the cabin door at the offer of food. "Eat and set up camp on the lawn, if that's agreeable to our host." She announced her own plan of action. Not that she wouldn't be grateful for a roof, but the idea of bedding down in a shack of some strange hermit she just met set off alarms in her head.

"Mind if I smoke inside?"

Spoiler: OOC: Checks
    Show
    Active Effects
    Hunter's Sense (scent)
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2021-03-16 at 07:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin
    Shaareach Forest, Cannath Vale
    Close to sunset, the Eighth of Mirtul

"Appreciate it if y'didn't," said Jorr, though there wasn't a lot of sting behind the words, and he produced a small flint and steel to help Aerilaya out with lighting up. "I like m' leaf like any other normal ****er, but the stuff leaves a ***ing stink behind after the fug's done. Porch's all right, anyway, and th' bugs seem to **** off when I'm smoking here of an evening. If y' want to set up outside, fine by me too. Not ****ing much comes down this way anyhow." He went back in and fetched out some decent-smelling berritos, which had a wash of spice to them as they went down. He lit a couple of lanterns at either end of the porch, and the cabin and clearing were splashed with pale yellow light. Jorr stretched with another crackle of his spine, and sat down unceremoniously on the steps of the porch in part of the loose circle the Circus formed for dinner. He carefully rolled some dried leaf into something like rice paper, licked it efficiently and stuck it to one side of his greying lips, proffering some of his leaf in Aerilaya's direction.

There was a lull, filed with night crickets' songs.

"Do you know much about what's in this place we're going?" asked Diana, to fill the silence. "We've heard you've been there."
    Jorr sucked smoke in. "I've been there," he nodded. "Never been in there, though."
    "I ... don't understand."
    "Don't need any more bad ****ing luck in my life. Wasn't until I got near that place tha' I started thinkin' maybe the story Amery Vraath's still guarding his fallen fief's got some true to it after all."
    "Amery Vraath?" Diana asked.
    Jorr didn't look up at her at first. He tapped at his rolled leaf. "The ghost livin' inside Vraath Keep. So they say."
    "Who was he, I mean?" Diana amended. "How did he come to haunt the keep?"
    "His own stupidity," said Jorr bluntly. "Least tha's how m'father told it."
    "Then this keep has been - haunted, as you say - for a long time?"
    Jorr stood up, his knees going off like breaking twigs as he straightened, rubbing at his back. He sighed. "If his ghost's in there, it's been there for nigh on two hunnerd years." Jorr's face was streaked white in the lantern light. "Do ye know much about th' Vale's history?"
    "No," said Diana. "Although we gathered nobody had been living out at the Keep for a long time, of course."
    "Well, ya see, there once was a king through all Cannath Vale. If ya foller the Dawn Way and then the Old North Road, it'd lead ye to Lake Lhesper. Tha' was the seat of the kings of Lhespenar. Their city was on the eastern bank of the lake."
    "Lake Lhespen?" asked Diana, and Arendi remembered Danuta Lakelock mentioning something about her husband's family coming from 'the kingdom beyond the wood'.
    "Aye, aye. Vraath Keep back in them days was jus' the Sunset Keep, 'cause it was th' western border o' Lhespenar. The Vraaths were a fam'ly of soldiers who had it as their domain, in return for keepin' the Dawn Way safe for travellers."

Jorr ground out his cigarette, tossing it to the grass where the end glowed like a red eye for a moment and then died. "Event'ally, though, the kings were thrown down. The city o' Lhespen's just a flooded swamp now. But some time after tha' happened, th' Vraath who was here decided it was high time he an' his fam'ly took th' whole ****ing Shaareach Forest for their own little ****ing kingdom."
    "Amery Vraath, I presume," said Diana, arching a (well-concealed) eyebrow.
    "Aye. Or so they reckon. He was th' one tha' renamed Sunset Keep as Vraath Keep. An' the biggest problem standin' in his way was the Twistusks."
    "Twistusks?"
    "Clan o' forest giants," amplified Jorr. The lanternlight glimmered now, reflected in his dark eyes. "They'd bin living in Shaareach fer ages, though ya'd be hard-pressed t' find any of 'em now. Tha's mostly because of Amery. See, the Vraaths always chose t' leave th' giants alone -- Twistusks'd raid the odd merchant here n' there, but they mostly kept t' themselves, an' Lhespenar didn' need any more enemies on its borders. But once the kingdom was gone, things'd changed, and Amery got hisself a big ol' army of adventurers and mercenaries and went out lookin' fer them. There was a big battle one summer day up north o' here at the giants' steading -- m' father's father showed me th' place where it all happened. Amery's boys killed most of th' giants, chased th' others back into th' Wyrmbones, an' burned th' giants' steading t' the ground."
    Jorr had stopped for a second, looking out to the north. Diana had a suspicion where the story was going. "And?" she prompted.

The woodsman turned back to her. "Well, tha's where Amery got dumb, so me father said. Because he thought he'd taken care of th' giants, he disbanded his army an' went back t' celebrate at Vraath Keep. They were costin' him some serious gold, y'know, so y' can understan' why. Didn't matter, though. 'Bout a week later, th' Twistusk survivors came back. Attacked th' Keep under cover o' night and a thunderstorm me father's father said their shamans ha' cooked up, or somethin'. An' they were angry, ya ken. They ripped down half o' Vraath Keep's walls gettin' in. Lost a couple o' their own -- ye can see their bones still outside the walls o' the Keep. But the Twistusks got what they came for -- killed or took jus' about every las' man, woman an' child in the place. Course, there weren't many there to take. Jus' the Vraath family and some o' their retainers. Most o' them they killed. Some they captured. To take back to their home, y'see. For eating."

The jungle had grown quiet, the trees black silhouettes against the red and gold sunset. A callisbird somewhere trilled its evening song. Diana cleared her throat, uncomfortable in the stillness. "What about Amery Vraath?"
    Jorr looked back at the dragonborn, arms folded. "None really knows. Some folks reckon the giants would've taken him, so it ain't his ghost in there. I've heard some say he survived th' battle and ran off north like th' dog he was. Old Jedremiah, b'fore he got taken by a render, reckoned his father told him that, when Jedremiah's grandfather was a young boy, he talked t' th' Vraath's butler, who got away. True enough that Senego was about th' only survivor of the attack, an' he lived to about ninety or more. Anyway, accordin' to Jedremiah's grandfather, Senego swore to Lathander on his deathbed that ol' Amery got poisoned or somethin', and he was still in th' keep when th' giants finished their work. Course, it don't matter for th' legend or th' Fools' Cache that he's supposed t' have buried somewhere in the Forest. Lot o' merchants reckon they c'n hear Amery callin' from underground somewhere at night on the Dawn Way. People used to come lookin' for the Vraaths' treasure all the time, me father told me, but nobody's found anythin' yet. Might be tha's why they don't come any more."

"And you say that there's something to all this?" asked Diana. "You saw something?"

The woodsman didn't immediately reply. "I didn't see anything," he replied at length. "Just a bad feeling. A really bad feeling, like ice down every one of your bones, when I first saw the main gate of the place. Can't explain it better than that. I came across the place out hunting once. The dogs had gone off track and while I was chasing them I saw it through the trees. I went and took a look up that way, and that's when I felt it, as I started toward the main gate, shattered. I couldn't go any further. I know how it ****ing sounds. But you wouldn't be smiling if you'd been there when I was, I'll ****ing tell you that."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Arendi smacked his lips as he finished off the meal their host had given them, which was actually quite nice. "Hmm. Could be restless souls from the tragedy. Or maybe the giants cursed the land. I think there are spells for that, but I doubt there'd be goblins squatting there if that was the case." He shrugged. "Like you said earlier, I'm a greywarden - would you go in if you were with us?"

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin

Jorr shook his head, the wisps of his remaining hair flicking in the light. "Not a ****ing chance. All due respect, saer greywarden, but like I said I don't want any more bad luck. Ya paid me to take you there, and take you there I will, and back again if you're wanting a way out. But I'll not set foot in that accursed place while anything - hobgoblins or ****ing undead or whatever - is still walkin' around."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

"...Eh, fair." said Arendi. "Can't shoot a ghost in the face without magic anyways."

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Sounding a little dubious about their guide's strength of will, Diana says, "Hopefully we won't similarly be warded off from the hobgoblins when we arrive. If they're actually even there, of course, not that I have a clue where else they'd hole up. Mm, speaking of holes, which do you think has more cover for sneaking up, the front gate or the hole the Twistusks made?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Nobody can find this place except you" Alastor said "that sounds pretty lucky to me."

Play-by-Post Characters:

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin

Jorr shrugged at both Diana's question and Alastor's comment. "I didn't exactly take a ****ing survey of the place when I was there. I've tried t' avoid it since I saw it. From wha' I remember, th' hole in th' wall was on a side wall of the Keep, but I'm not sure. Doubt th' hobgoblins woulda missed it, though, if it w's a hole big enough t' let a ****ing giant in. As for luck, well, good luck for someone is bad luck for others, and that ****ing Keep scares the **** out of me. Me, I'd prefer not to **** off Tymora any more than I ****ing have to, especially out here."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd say go for the hole, but we don't know the details yet anyways. I guess we should figure the details out when we get there," said Arendi.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Diana leans back, closes her eyes and says, "Fair enough." It's not clear whether she's responding to Arendi or to Jorr.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Aidan sat off to the side, in no mood to contradict the story of Jorr. What with the strange feeling hanging around in the forest and the woman, he was hardly one to blame him for keeping his nose well out of trouble if he didn't need to. "Say," Aidan said to Jorr, "You wouldn't know of any folk stories about a painting woman in the forest? You seem like the type to remember that kind of stuff if you'd ever heard."
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin

Jorr grunted, whether in acknowledgement or a brief laugh wasn't clear. "What counts as 'folk stories' down in th' Vale have a nasty ****ing habit of coming alive and ripping your ****ing face off in here, saer drow. This bush's ****ing funny like that. I'd be guessing all of you ****ing realised that the moment you came under the trees' shadows. But when it comes to that story ... well ... there is one. See, it isn't only ****ing woodcutters that keep the Dawn Way from being reclaimed by the jungle. The dwarves who built the road, cut it through here, hadda use strong magic to keep the flagstones from getting ripped up within weeks by all the **** growing here. And even then, the way I heard it is that the dwarves had to bargain with the jungle itself, ah, ****, not the jungle, with the spirit of some druid woman who'd lived along with her people in Shaareach Forest ages ago."

The woodsman folded his arms. "Way the story goes, the foreman of the roadbuilders made a deal with the woman: the jungle would leave the Dawn Way untouched, from the bridge over Skull Gorge to the bridge over the Talar, and in return he'd let her paint his portrait. And, because it's a ****ing warning, not a folk story, he died as she painted, and his ****ing soul was trapped in the portrait she painted, which she ****ing carries around to this day. But still: she kept her bargain. Woodcutters still bring down trees that overhang the road, but not one root, not one branch of a tree ever touches the Dawn Way, from the broken bridge on the Talar to the bridge over Skull Gorge."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Jorr Natherson's Cabin
    Sunrise, the Ninth of Mirtul

Complication Dice: 1 of 6

Dawn wasn't immediately apparent in the near-twilight of the jungle. Indeed, in the near-darkness it was hard to tell whether--

"Rise and ***ing shine, my fine tourist friends! We've got miles to cover t'day, don't miss the light while you've got it!" Jorr's bootheels clomped across the porch of his cottage like knocks on a coffin lid. The woodsman didn't even look like he'd changed clothes (though Arendi had a faint recollection while on watch of a pasty white naked form something like an overly mature grub walking out to the marsh, or lake, near the house and taking a short dip sometime near midnight...)

As it was, Jorr looked about as fresh as they'd ever seen him. The big bow was looped over his shoulder and the knife was in its place on his hip, and he had a small backpack with him. He didn't seem to be taking the three hunting dogs with him; indeed, the woodsman was already whispering to them now, murmuring something about them having to behave themselves while he was gone. The old man slapped absently at one of the hordes of mosquitoes that had stopped by around three in the morning.

Spoiler: Alastor
    Show
    The halfling for once didn't feel anything like eating this morning. In spite of Diana's invocation which made travel in the heat no more troubling than travel in the coolest shade, his forehead was burning. And every joint felt like it was ready to pop out of its skin.

Spoiler: Aerilaya
    Show
    The woman woke from dark dreams, dreams in which a sword was laughing at her. And when she did, she could not stop trembling, even though there was no heat nor any cold from Diana's blessing. Indeed her arms and shoulders were aching like fury, and she felt as sick as a proverbial dog.

Spoiler: Aidan
    Show
    The drow woke feeling about as sick as he'd ever felt on the surface, and that included some pretty spectacular morning follow-ups to even more spectacular nights before. Every joint felt like it was on fire, and his skin burned with a heat that didn't seem possible with Diana's invocations.

Show
    Remember that Complication I was talking about?

Most likely the state of your companions will be apparent as you guys interact with each other. In terms of what they're suffering from, well, Heal checks if anyone's so minded...

Spoiler: Heal DC 15
    Show
    Given the symptoms - raging fever, chills, and strong joint pain - this is very likely that old enemy of jungle residents and tourists across the Realms, malaria. Very unpleasant, and causes constant pain, and often lethal if left untreated for a long period of time as the disease slowly overwhelms the body's natural defences. (In game terms, it does 1d4 CON damage on each failed save. However, this variety seems to be of a fast-onset form, and seems to have an incubation period of 2 days. The disease hasn't done any actual CON damage to anyone yet, but at sunrise on 11 Mirtul, it'll do 1d4 CON damage unless it's treated at that time, i.e. successful Heal check happens when the next Fort save is required.)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

From the background somewhere in a starless night a voice was calling. Whatever the heck it was saying was incomprehensible. The voice came again, and Aidan slowly started waking up, becoming aware of feeling incredibly heavy, as if he'd not moved the entire night. His muscles were as sore as if he'd never slept on the ground before, even though he had a blanket to lay on, and every bit of him was soaked in sweat, his shirt and trousers completely drenched, and warm as if he was sitting in a puddle of volcanic mud. "Hecking ****e." He groaned and sat up. He immediately came to regret it as his headache split his skull in at least fifteen and a half parts, and laid back down. "Fetching jungle..." he felt around for his waterskin, of which he take a big gulp of lukewarm water. "The Nightmother's teets!" At that moment Libby, ever the understanding, kind friend, came flapping over. "Look! Wet elf!" For his warm greeting, he got smacked full in the chest with the waterskin. "Get lost. Actually, get Alastor." The bird recovered, and started flying away. "No, screw you, drenched goat!"
    Last edited by ShedShadow; 2021-03-23 at 09:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"You too huh?" Alastor said as he saw the drow sweating. "This place really is something else. How can those goblins survive in this climate for this long?"

Play-by-Post Characters:

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"You two okay?" the greywarden asked. He looked closer and continued, "Oh, no you're not. If you're protected from the weather you shouldn't be sweating and shivering like that. Is there anything else?"

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"My fetching bones are on fire." Aidan groaned. "You got a spell for that?"