New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

"He may not be terribly patriotic, but it's conceivable that he will understand the risk to his business if Cheliax manages to take control of the city. From the sound of things, he has a hold on Daravayne, but if the ambassador is able to carry out his plans, then Devargo may find himself disappeared soon after. One who has made himself the leading power in the city with the support of the devil throne will likely have nothing to fear from whatever leverage Devargo has in the present," Cassian adds.

"If everyone is agreed to wait until later, then I suppose now would be a good time for me to see my family and inform them of events."

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

With a nod and bow the duellist lets you leave and you are free to head into the city. WIth the riots and the strikes the docks are thronged with trouble still and masses of dockers look like trouble as they gamble and drink in the streets around makeshift fire pits made from burned carts, crates and anything not nailed down. Seamen mix in the crowds, some joining the dockers, others watching sullenly as they consider the lost trade from their vessels moored on the docks still piled high with goods.

As Andrei (and ?) approach the Acadaeme he can see the octagonal building with eight very different spires is now surrounded by a great ward of crackling energy. Aethyr flowing up and down he surface in rippling waves that hisses and pops with eldritch power. Near the gates, the double doors inscribed with gleaming runes there are several guards standing near the gates, where a hole in the great ward appears to be. As you approach you can see the guards are disciples of the Acadamae, each one wearing a hooded robe denoting their chosen school of study under a well crafted shirt of fine black steel and a halberd in their hands. They watch as Andrei approaches, neither hostile nor friendly.... "Ho, what business do you have with the Acadamae, we are closed for new applicants"

--

Cassian heads across town towards he eastern edge where his family home is. The small walled estate nestled on a street where there are dozens of other small walled estates home to minor nobles and well to do merchants. The streets have fewer peddlars and merchants with their wares than normal and he spies several of the shops that he has seen for years are closed up with windows shuttered and bolted with iron bound shutters.

Some of the guards recognise Cassian, nodding and smiling, others, newer hired watch warily, hands drifting near weapons and eyes never fixing in one place. The house guard, Tomas for your house you recognise well, the man having taught you sword occasionally over the years. The man himself grey haired with a long ponytail held with a neat golden clasp and a confident stance and more confident grasp of the pole-axe in his hands. "Greetings young master, I am glad you been surviving the riots. They will be happy to see you returned safely."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred will take Ciraneoth to Kundurak's to look at shields, greeting the dwarf warmly Good day, you looked after me, now can you sort my friend out with a shield?

Also if you can have one of your apprentices check my arm out and patch it up? I took a bit of a whack from a cleaver but it would have been worse without your craftsmanship I am sure

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth had followed Winifred as she knew the city a lot better than he did. One thing he was sure about, dwarf craft was good.
    "If you have one with the symbol of Erastil on it, that would be much appreciated," he said to the dwarf, "otherwise just a bland one will do."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Kundararks Winifred and Cieranoth

The noise of the dwarven smithy is loud as in the back rooms the warehouse is full of maybe half a dozen blazing furnaces, tough sticky dwarves or bearded men standing by each one, hammers beating time and time again with sharp peals. The heat is enough to keep you sweating even in the front shop where the wares are displayed. Racks of blades, axes and polearms beside walls stacked with armour and shields.

The dwarf manning the front desk was gruff and had not offered a name but glances at the damaged armour and nods. "Aye lass, leave it for 2 bells (hours) and we can patch the missing links. As fer a shield. Aye we have a dozen or more simple ones. If you wanted it painted we can do that too but you'll get that tomorrow."

OOC
    If the shield is to be painted at +10% to the cost and you can get it tomorrow
    Pathwork repairs on the armour cost 5% of the value.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds more than reasonable to me Winifred unbuckles the sleeve and hands it over with the money.

She looks at Cieranoth, So what do you think? You expect to need it before tomorrow?

If that concludes business she will take them back to the barracks, retrieve the horse and cart, pay and tip the stablehands generously and attempt to dispose of it

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I don't think I'll need it today," Ciraneoth said, "and I've managed without one for years, so I should manage one day longer.
    I would like to have it painted, please, with the symbol of Erastil on a green background if possible."

He picked out one of the shields, a simple heater shaped one.
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-01-08 at 09:51 AM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Cassian heads across town towards he eastern edge where his family home is. The small walled estate nestled on a street where there are dozens of other small walled estates home to minor nobles and well to do merchants. The streets have fewer peddlars and merchants with their wares than normal and he spies several of the shops that he has seen for years are closed up with windows shuttered and bolted with iron bound shutters.

Some of the guards recognise Cassian, nodding and smiling, others, newer hired watch warily, hands drifting near weapons and eyes never fixing in one place. The house guard, Tomas for your house you recognise well, the man having taught you sword occasionally over the years. The man himself grey haired with a long ponytail held with a neat golden clasp and a confident stance and more confident grasp of the pole-axe in his hands. "Greetings young master, I am glad you been surviving the riots. They will be happy to see you returned safely."
    "Greetings Tomas, it's good to be back. Are father and grandfather here? I have news I believe they'll be interested in. I'll need a proper bath and a change of clothes first though - there's been much blood spilled these last couple of days," he replies with a grim smile.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

They watch as Andrei approaches, neither hostile nor friendly.... "Ho, what business do you have with the Acadamae, we are closed for new applicants"
    Andrei will shake his head somewhat bitterly, 'Then it's lucky I'm an old one. I used to be a student here. I need to talk to a member of the facualty. I think they'll want to hear about the Necromancer that was out in the Gray the other night.'

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Cassian's House

Tomas nods and welcomes the young Cassian with a warm handshake. "At once Sir. Will you be spending the night here? On your own or with some company?" he asks as he opens the stout gate into the welcoming cobbled yard. A couple of stout trading carts with the House colours stand there with a few guards and drivers milling around them. All stop and a few wave at Cassian as he see's the older man with greying hair and a salt and pepper beard streaked with grey.

He see's Cassian and a broad smile breaks out on his otherwise strict face. Striding across he pulls Cassian into a bear hug. "My boy, what brings you home. I had heard rumours of you helping the guard and the young Marshall Kroft?

The Acadamae

At the gates one of the guards considers before nodding and pulling out a strange triangular crystal object. Muttering some words and pulling skeins of golden aethyr into the device and when he touches it to the gleaming ward it pulses and a small gap open allowing the guard to open the warded doors to reveal the entranceway into the Acadamae. the stone hallway is immense and glows with floating crystal globes of many colours that ripple and send the shadows scurrying. Along the walls pictures and carvings hang of ancient archmages.

As Andrei enters he see's a Maester approaching him, clad in deep purple robes with a skull shaped amulet around her neck he recognises the tall woman, her skin pale, eyes dark and skin palae as marble and smooth over her bald head. Years of working with shysh magic leaving her more and more cadeverous. In a husky voice she looks at Andrei, "A strange time to come to the Acadamae. What brings you here in such times of duress."

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks at Ciraneoth, Lunch? I know a place

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei gratefully passes into the Academae. It was good to be allowed back inside the place, even if it was only temporary.

He will bow slightly to the Maester. 'It's easy enough to avoid all that if you're careful.' He'll get straight to the point. 'I don't know if the Pharasman priests bothered to pass this on but there were a pair of Necromancers out raising bodies in the Gray the other night. I assume you'd want to know about it given that one of them used to be an apprentice here. Do you remember a Mortimer by any chance? He's managed to find himself a new teacher outside these walls. Assuming she learned how to do that in here perhaps you might even know her name as well.'

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Winifred looks at Ciraneoth, Lunch? I know a place
    "Sure, sounds good," Ciraneoth said, "lead the way. And maybe we can try to catch some gossip while we're at it. A lot is happening in this city and I'd rather not be surprised if I can avoid it."

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred takes the two of them to a surprisingly solid looking inn in the Midland district, whose sign is that of a small monkey in a sailors outfit apparently dancing.

Welcome to the Drunken Monkey she says, and steps inside, she shouts at the old dwarf seated on a high chair by the serving hatch as she makes her way over to him, trying to look like she doesn't care that the patrons notice her new bearing and outfit but making sure they do, Oi. Grashnak. I quit. then hugging him, For the moment anyway. Grashnak, this is Ciraneoth, sword companion and not a bad sort for an elf.

Ciraneoth this is Grashnak, my former employer and not a bad sort for a dwarf and by the standards of Korvasan innkeepers a paragon of virtue.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Greetings, master dwarf," Ciraneoth said with a short bow, He looked around in the inn, trying to figure out what kind of establishment it is and how much of a vigil he has to keep in there. Of course, if Winifred knows the proprietor it would most likely not too bad. He did wonder why Winifred switched from working here to the dangerous life of an adventurer. It paid more, that was for sure, but it was a lot more dangerous, at least compared to most bars.

"As long as I don't have to drink dwarven ale," he said to Winifred, before turning to the dwarf, "I know dwarven ale is acknowledged as the best in the world, but it is not really my thing, I must say."

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Fine, cider is ok? Winifred presses a few shillings into the Innkeepers hand, I'd like to keep my room for a while though if that's ok. she looks at Ciraneoth, Bread and soft cheese ok? I want to stay away from red meat for a while

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Cider sounds good to me," Ciraneoth said, "and I understand completely. We elves don't eat too much meat anyway, so bread and cheese is good."
    He could understand the reason for not wanting meat, or at least red meat, at the moment and he could sympathize. Looking around he moved to a free table where he could keep an eye on the entrance and if possible, with his back to a wall.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred brings the two mugs of crisp cider and sits next to the elf, also with her back to the wall.

So tell me. What's a nice elf like you doing in a place like this, and how did you end up in the employ of the Marshall?

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth took a sip of his cider, while thinking about his reply.
    "I was a guard on a caravan moving here," he said, "we were attacked by bandits on the way. So when I arrived here, I went to to the guards to tell them and to see if they knew something about those guys. They didn't, but they had some work for me and seeing as I needed some money, it was better than nothing. And you? You worked here, why did you decide to go out there and fight? Isn't that more dangerous?"

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Cassian's House

Tomas nods and welcomes the young Cassian with a warm handshake. "At once Sir. Will you be spending the night here? On your own or with some company?" he asks as he opens the stout gate into the welcoming cobbled yard. A couple of stout trading carts with the House colours stand there with a few guards and drivers milling around them. All stop and a few wave at Cassian as he see's the older man with greying hair and a salt and pepper beard streaked with grey.

He see's Cassian and a broad smile breaks out on his otherwise strict face. Striding across he pulls Cassian into a bear hug. "My boy, what brings you home. I had heard rumours of you helping the guard and the young Marshall Kroft?
    "Just me tonight, Tomas. I have some new...associates...that may need a roof over their heads some time soon, but I'll clear it with father and grandfather first," Cassian answers.

"Father," Cassian replies warmly, returning the hug. "It is as you have heard. Through somewhat unusual circumstances, I and some others were provided with an introduction to the Marshall, who had us presented to the Queen, who "requested" that we return and place ourselves at the Marshall's disposal. We are currently to assist the Marshall with a matter of some delicacy."

"But more importantly, father, I am happy to inform you that my search for Gaedren Lamm has borne fruit and Melicent has been avenged. The vile Lamm will never trouble anyone again thanks to my efforts and the assistance of others whom he had wronged. Our honour is restored and Melicent's soul may rest easy in Pharasma's embrace, I hope."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Well the flippant answer would be to ask you the same question. Why aren't you poncing around the woods, making daisy chains and being one with the animals whilst composing three day long songs about how much you like trees which would cause any mere mortal hearing them to die because their feeble human minds can't handle that much beauty?

Because apparently that's what elves do when no one is looking.

She grins, But that would be a load of rubbish to avoid answering the question,, then looks around to make sure that no one is too close, then looks at him So I shall tell you, but I have not told Andrei or Cassian so keep mum please

After my father died I passed into the wardship of my cousins. Who decided that the best way to get their hands on my birthright was to arrange for an accident to happen to me, and when that failed tried to stage a kidnapping - which also did not go as planned for them - neither did their attempts to poison me.

Finally they decided to send me to live with one of their associates who had fewer scruples about employing more direct methods.

I eavesdropped what they were up to and left.

Ended up here hiding out for a few years, and taking the odd job here and there because Grashnak is more than happy with side-hustles and has a few of his own anyway.

So I have been waiting to make the connections and money necessary to claim my due, and wait out until I achieve my majority

Last edited by wilphe; 2022-01-18 at 10:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

In the Pub

Winifred and Cieranoth can easily pass the afternoon in a quieter inn in nearer the University district. the food is adequate although you do overhear the cook heckling the owner and complaining about the missing orders that haven't been deliverd. But that you supsect is a problem for another day. The ambience is nice with a few books on a shelf in the corner (mainly history) and what appears to be some students of the arts and history reading or writing quietly whilst they enjoy their roast pigeons and a quite mead.
    There is nothing esle for you to do really so let me know what either of you fancy

At Cassian's Estate

His father embraces him. "My boy, this is great news. You have done the house proud." he marches Cassian into the house, shouting at Maud (one of the servants) to bring a botle of the Andoran red and as the wine arrives he pulls out the cork and pours a generous glass each. With tears in his eyes he toasts "To our darling Melicent. You are avenged..." AS he speaks Cassian can see the tears in the old mans' eyes as he takes a sip of the very good wine. Gestured to seat his father leans in, "Tell me about it, I want all the details, especially how Lamn died. I hope he suffers in the nine hells!" HIs father leans back as Cassian speaks, and after the tale has been told asks a quiet, "And what now? The city is in chaos, the Queen is holding on by a thread and I have heard rumours that even the Hell Knights may be leaving, or that Cheliax desires to take over to stabilise the country..."

In the Acadame

The magister pauses in her stride, blinking owlishly. "Come, tell me more. I know you are no longer a favoured student but you have not fallen as far as that. You may call me Magister Pyrithia." She adds. Andrei can remember the name, a powerful Magisrer of Shysh and one little involved with teaching minor students such was her obsession with her research. She leans forward, "Now tell me, how did you know it was Mortimer and how did you see what they were doing. Describe it, every detail..." She wrings her pale hands together a strangely feverish expression on her face as she demands to know what Andrei saw of the ritual.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No elf does that," Ciraneoth said, "well, except for my sister when she was little, but that was just a phase she went through."
    When Winifred told her story, he wondered what the hell those humans were always up to. While there was politics in the elven lands as well, stuff like that almost never did happen. He told her that he would keep quiet about it.

They were there for some time when he started to get bored. While sitting in a bar was not that bad and as bars go, this one was actually pretty nice, he still wasn't a 'sit in the bar the entire afternoon' kinda type.
    "So, will we do a recon of the location we're going to tonight," he suggested, "a quiet look around, just walking past, getting the atmosphere of the place? To keep down surprises later."

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds like a good idea, let's give them enough time to finish my armour repair and then head over

Winifred will take the opportunity to relate to Ciraneoth what happened from when they were called to Zellara’s home

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

Acadamae

Andrei appreciated the sentiment, 'About that. I may be in a position to clear my name of the murder I was accused of. Lamm, the man responsible, regrettably isn't around anymore. But he left records.' It occurred to Andrei that for a Magister of Shysh, questioning a dead man might be less of a problem then it was for some people. 'Getting to return to class might be a bit much given every that's going on at the moment, but the right to say use the library when I needed to would be appreciated.'

About Mortimer, 'There was a stink of corrupted Shysh coming from a particular crypt. Can't say I've ever seen it before but I've heard it described.' He'll describe the two robed and masked men that they had found raising the zombies. 'They had a skull with fly wings insignia on their robes and I recognised Mortimer's voice when I managed to hit him with a Dart. By the sound of things the Dhar may have warped his mind a little. I can't see someone whose like that being that good at hiding. Oh, and there was some talk of a Mistress. I assume someone's been giving Mortimer extra lessons.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Trying to reverse my Framed condition to make it easier to get a promotion at some point

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Cultist
    Show

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

At Cassian's Estate

His father embraces him. "My boy, this is great news. You have done the house proud." he marches Cassian into the house, shouting at Maud (one of the servants) to bring a botle of the Andoran red and as the wine arrives he pulls out the cork and pours a generous glass each. With tears in his eyes he toasts "To our darling Melicent. You are avenged..." AS he speaks Cassian can see the tears in the old mans' eyes as he takes a sip of the very good wine. Gestured to seat his father leans in, "Tell me about it, I want all the details, especially how Lamn died. I hope he suffers in the nine hells!" HIs father leans back as Cassian speaks, and after the tale has been told asks a quiet, "And what now? The city is in chaos, the Queen is holding on by a thread and I have heard rumours that even the Hell Knights may be leaving, or that Cheliax desires to take over to stabilise the country..."
    "Well, he at least suffered the ignomy of defeat, but his death was quick enough. A mercenary woman who was with me cut him down with her halberd - it was clear he had long since descended into madness. He was more afraid that we had come to steal his so called treasures than he was of death itself," Cassain ponders.

He then proceeds to fill his father in on the details of the past few days - the discovery of Zellara's head in the hat box, the rescue of Amin Jalento from the mob, the skirmish with the necromancers in the Grey district, and his promise to return to assist the bishop in dealing with the survivors. He also recounts how there was a brooch among Lamm's possessions that turned out to be owned by the queen and how that became the ticket for the group's introduction to Queen Abrogail and the catalyst for their involvement with Marshall Kroft.

Finally, he deatils the group's first mission for Kroft and confirms the rumour that the Chelaxians are seeking to take control of the city, telling his father about the current mission to find dirt on the Chelaxian ambassador, knowing that he'll appreciate any blow struck against the usurpers.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sure, no problem," Ciraneoth said. He could understand the woman wanting her armour when they would be going into danger. He listened to her story, trying to get a feel for the city. He also asked some questions about the city to get a better feel of it.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

At the Acadamae

Magister Pyrithia leans back, contemplating the tale from Andrei. Her eyes narrowing as he speaks of the green bank of murderous vapours and the chanelling of Dha to raise the unliving. At the mention of Lamn being killed and there being evidence she replies carefully, "If that is is I will send one of the Acolytes to see the the Marshall. If the evidence provided by her corroborates your claims young Acolyte then perhaps you shall not be left entirely berefit of the Acadame support." She pauses staring at him hard, "From your talk you seem to be well versed in the Initiate's cantrips. Perhaps there is some hope that you could master the more complex intricacies of the Art."

At mention of the library she shakes her head. 2Until we investigate and judge your worthyness you shall remain barred. Your crime, or the accusation of a crime was severe and we must investigate fully. But for now, you may take refreshment here if you wish, or return to the city streets as you wish. But this audience is done." She rises to leave, a faint smell of grave dust around her, as she strides from the room she pauses on the door and looks back. "You are not a black magister (mage who hunts mages) Do not investigate this fallen apprentice further. Leave that to us..." And with that he is left in the small room on his own, although glancing through the door he can see the cloaks of one of the guards from the gate just outside of view, presumably to either help him with a meal or see him to the door.

At Cassian's Estate

His father looks worried as he relays the tale and nods. "I have met the Ambassador a handful of times of state balls and the like, I am no fan of Queen Illesoea but better a free Korvosa under her than a client state under the rule of the nine hells." He pauses and ferrets around in his desk drawers, "Here boy, take this, make sure you maintain yourself better whilst you serve Kroft. You carry the honour of our house with you" (Hands over a pouch with 50 GC in) "When you have investigated the ambassador, come back and let me know of what you found. It may help our business interests in Cheliax and in the city and you know that will aid our fortunes."

He'll continue to make small talk with Cassian for as long as he wants, mainly news of the merchantile business, some minor gossip about the young men and woman he knows from the noble houses and the sad news tha Jaearom and Bartrim, two distant acquaintances were both killed int he riots two nights ago when cornered by a mob of peasants, much like young lord Jalento would have bee had you not intervened.

At the Docks

Cieranoth and Winfred finish their meal and head back across the narrows into the filthyand cramped streets of old Korvosa, this time instead of heading to the nicer reaches of the heights where the old man's duelling school they headed along the docks, past the brothels and countless fisher shacks and small urchin children playing in the hulked boats and mud towards the end of the pier where you have heard the so called Eels' end" is at the far North easterly point of old korvosa .

Its obvious where it is on the first (or last) pier of old Korvosa. A ramshackle collection of boats moored haphazardly around a floating platform at the end of a long (~70ft) wooden pier. A sprawl of lights and sound mark its location even in the afternoon and glowing lanterns in the shape of dream spiders and coiled eels hang from the nearby posts and piling rails. the sound of carousing booms from the four barges and double masted ship moored to the pier and large signs painted in Varisian, Taldan and Ulfen hang from ropes slung between the barges and along the pier leading out to them. The smallest of the barges bears a sign saying "Twin Tigers - Take the tiger by the Tail and try your luck", THe next opposite to the Tigter "Goldenhawk - No stayer safe in old Kovosa" . The further two barges have signs proclaiming Dragons Breath - dream the dragons' dreams at affordable prices" and "House of Clouds - The caress of our lovelies will take you straight to heaven" Only the warship at the top of the pier bears no signage.

Sailors, merchants, townsfolk, some in rough cut garb, others in silks mill on the decks of the barges vanishing through the cabin doors into the delights below mingle and swarm on the pier and a tri of fiddles and a sultry looking dancer parade around on the wide wooden pontoon where the gangplanks to the 5 ships meet. A cart selling wine and ale set up. Amidst the revelers you also note several toughs, all bearing myriad tattoos and scars wandering around. There seems to be 4 on the decks of the ships wandering around warning patrons and two standing by the entrance to pier, its one of those who glances at Cieranoth and Winifred and beckons to the pier, "Either come aboard of bugger off. The Spider King don't like gawkers"
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-01-22 at 05:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred looks at Cieranoth, "I'm a cheap date, shall we?"